Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

My idea is that a kid who isn’t interested in golf isn’t going to watch it. Online or not.
    It’s not going to be more watchable to the kid just because it’s online.

So that leaves the golfers who may or may not be savvy (bothered) enough to jump through the hoops inflicted on them.

I’m a software engineer and if needed I could probably come up with a dozen different ways of watching streaming casting whatever.

But I’m not sure I’m bothered enough. I just wanna watch it on my telly sitting on my sofa.

I don’t want to create new subscription accounts. Or buy dongles. Or install twitter. Or sign up to Facebook. Or fiddle with the fkn phone in front of the telly. Or set up hdmi connections. Or whatever.

It’s only the stupid PGA anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My idea is that a kid who isn’t interested in golf isn’t going to watch it. Online or not.
    It’s not going to be more watchable to the kid just because it’s online.

So that leaves the golfers who may or may not be savvy (bothered) enough to jump through the hoops indicted.

I’m a software engineer and if needed I could probably come up with a dozen different ways of watching streaming casting whatever.

But I’m not sure I’m bothered enough. I just wanna watch it on my telly sitting on my sofa.

I don’t want to create new subscription accounts. Or buy dongles. Or install twitter. Or sign up to Facebook. Or fiddle with the fkn phone in front of the telly. Or set up hdmi connections. Or whatever.

I guess the hope is that kids are doing this crap all day everyday so this is nothing out of the ordinary for them, while it may take some out of their comfort zone.
    It’s only the stupid PGA anyway.

tbh I think this is the salient point out of the whole thread :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can get US TNT/CBS perfectly via IPTV. Is it worth messing with Eleven TV and Facebook and a chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The Sport should be looking to reach as many people as possible not reduce the number pof people who can watch.I'll barely watch any of it this weekend due to extra inconvenience involved I doubt I'm the only one.

Wait until we seee the viewership figures for this weekend.

I have a feeling they will be well down on previous PGA championships.

Posters like you on this thread seem to be deliberately misundertanding the point I'm making for the sake of it.

100% agree...do people not realise without viewership and people watching these events they would not be what they are today!!!
    Its what they will be tomorrow that they are working on. The monopoly of broadcast media in the hands of a few TV companies is under threat and sport is as good a weapon as any in that battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Just got an email from Eleven answering a question and there will NOT be chromecast for the App in time for the weekend. Frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What a way to treat a Major.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

the lawman wrote:
    Just got an email from Eleven answering a question and there will NOT be chromecast for the App in time for the weekend. Frustrating.

Can you not just cast the screen using Google home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

When asking for the free pass from Eleven Sports - they insist on getting your credit card number/details to 'Verify' your pass.

Must say I'm a bit worried about that... could be that it may proof difficult to cancel which I presume you have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭fman

To cast anything properly from an app, it has to be built into the app. As has become clear, eleven have opted not to do that.
    So in terms of the Chromecast, the workarounds that have been mentioned of casting the device screen or from chrome browser on a PC are the only real options, with various limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This is a bit of a madness in fairness. A lot of people will just not bother to watch. I can imagine a lot of people will turn on the tv and wonder what channel it is on. A lot of golf people are older folk who won't be up on tech and this will just not work for them.

For those that have a smart tv with a web browser you should be able to watch direct from the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I can get US TNT/CBS perfectly via IPTV. Is it worth messing with Eleven TV and Facebook and a chromecast?

Why would you bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Forgot also that this will bee last time the pga will be the last major.

Surely Sky will have to come to some sort of agreement next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭fman

I do suspect that sky might have tried a bit harder for the event if it wasn't coinciding with the weekend the premier league resumes.

fman wrote:
    To cast anything properly from an app, it has to be built into the app. As has become clear, eleven have opted not to do that. So in terms of the Chromecast, the workarounds that have been mentioned of casting the device screen or from chrome browser on a PC are the only real options, with various limitations.

Google Home and a Chromecast is pretty solid. Used it a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I don't think I could be bothered signing up for this, especially having to give credit card details for a week's trial. I don't want to add to their viewership statistics either. I'll be watching it via other means.

Pa8301 wrote: »
    I don't think I could be bothered signing up for this, especially having to give credit card details for a week's trial. I don't want to add to their viewership statistics either. I'll be watching it via other means.

I agree -when you look for a pass - you are basically asked to sign up for a monthly subscription of 6.99pm with the option to cancel after the 7 day trial- but you have to give all of your credit card details

I guess it might be made difficult to cancel( I see an email request is required)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

keps wrote: »
    I agree -when you look for a pass - yuu are basically asked to sign up for a monthly subscription of 6.99pm with the option to cancel after the 7 day trial- but you have to give all of your all credit card details

I guess it might be made difficult to cancel( I see an email request is required)

I signed up & cancelled about 1hr later when I read it was on the golf channel. Didn’t see anything about an email request.

Jeez, if they wanted this to be the centrepiece of their launch it kind of backfired on them!

There seems to be a dispute of some sorts between IMG( who have the distribution rights of this tournament until 2021) and Sky.

Last year after both these sides failed to agree terms -at the last minute BBC got the rights - but they had already committed to big coverage of the World Athletic Championships running at the same time

The BBC coverage was a disaster with Peter Alliss and Maureeen Madill sitting in a studio in London trying to pretend they were at it live:pac:

It seems the Beeb were offered it again this year but declined. They are cash strapped.

Hence this mess

• Advertisement

There seems to be a dispute of some sorts between IMG( who have the distribution rights of this tournament until 2021) and Sky.

Last year after both these sides failed to agree terms -at the last minute BBC got the rights - but they had already committed to big coverage of the World Athletic Championships running at the same time

The BBC coverage was a disaster with Peter Alliss and Maureeen Madill sitting in a studio in London trying to pretend they were at it live:pac:

It seems the Beeb were offered it again this year but declined. They are cash strapped.

Hence this mess

So it looks like IMG didn't have many suitors once Sky wouldn't play ball and now the PGA are trying to dress the whole thing up as positively as possible. This is probably another indication that the USPGA is regarded as the runt of the major litter. You can't imagine sky penny pinching over the Masters or the Open.

Well if you think about the money that Sky put into a major( apart from buying the rights) and the team/skills they have built up over the years

They have a team of 6/7 commentators/analysts/ the Skycart and a back up team of I don't know how many?
    I would say Butch Harmon and Rich Beem don't come cheap

No UK broadcaster wants to come out of a major with egg on their face like the BBC last year -so I'd say once Sky pulled out no-one else wanted to touch it. I don't think ITV ot BT could do it

What will Eleven do?

Probably one cheap anchor and pull the coverage from NBC

It's hard to know what's going on in this area at the moment - but would say Sky are playing the long game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Won't be watching this via Eleven. This is not really about online v TV for me. More about another provider appearing. I have no issue with paying money to watch sport but not to an ever increasing variety of providers.

I don't like the idea of streaming from 'elsewhere' but feel the market is pushing people to do that.

Give a spotify for sport so I can stream what I actually want and I would be fine with it. It was better for a consumer when 30 odd quid to Sky got almost everything from Golf to Soccer to Rugby to American Sports.

Now it is hard to find any value with likes of BT or Virgin going after sport to keep/bump up their broadband subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is this on the golf channel in the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

What a way to treat a Major.

They call it a major but I don't know, were probably looking at -25 winning. Soft slow greens target golf I don't see the challenge for those guys.
    I think we need another major outside of the USA because this has to be the least interesting major IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

vienne86 wrote: »
    Is this on the golf channel in the US?

dont think so - its TNT Thursday/Friday then CBS for the weekend.

TNT coverage is notoriously bad anyway so picking up that feed isn't a great option either...

After watching golf coverage in the US, Sky do a fantastic job with their coverage in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

So, in summary, can anyone give a brief outline for those with limited tech knowledge of the best way to watch the PGA online without having to enter your credit card data ??

Turn on your IPTV. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

Turn on your IPTV. Sorted.

is IPTV not a bit dodgy no? are you not effectively giving your credit card details to unregulated sources? also if and when do they clamp down on the illegal streaming will there not be a paper trail that leads right to your home because of the credit card... don't get me wrong, I am always looking for someway around the system, but one with out me handing over credit card details!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

is IPTV not a bit dodgy no? are you not effectively giving your credit card details to unregulated sources? also if and when do they clamp down on the illegal streaming will there not be a paper trail that leads right to your home because of the credit card... don't get me wrong, I am always looking for someway around the system, but one with out me handing over credit card details!

With the Eleven Sports app you're giving your CC details to Google, not Eleven.

Advertisement