Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Any buffering? Mine is painful

Plenty of buffering on my eleven sports. This is no way to watch live sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

11 just cut out on me. Y'all let me know if Koepka four-putts on the last....

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Noticed yesterday. Seems you have to login again after midnight..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

Same. Seemed to log me out at midnight... subscription promptly cancelled. With all the buffering I had a notification on my phone that he'd won already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

TSN1 coverage was excellent.

• Advertisement

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Noticed yesterday. Seems you have to login again after midnight..

Cheers, thought my free trial had run out...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Dodgy box TSN channel, bizarre end to a major.

Never seen such an unemotional end to a major, or any sporting event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dulux99 wrote: »
    Plenty of buffering on my eleven sports. This is no way to watch live sports.

For a so-called official service, that's poor. Lots of complaints about it on other fora. They had better get their act together fast as the La Liga & Serie A fans won't tolerate that level of buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

isn't it like going from HD tv back to dodgy vhs in 80s

whole thing a bit bizarre

In saying above - as people on an online forum and undoubtedly people who use Twitter and Netflix and Boards etc.

We have to accept that how people access content and view sporting events is going to change.

Yes this was a poor first experience - but for years we watched golf on Sky and it was terrible coverage. They had to put ten years into it before it was right. This will be much quicker to improve.

I'm not a fan of golf leaving mainstream coverage at all.

But - we have to accept that tv as an idea is changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Watching perfect 1080hd live coverage from TSN Canada to my TV. Got to love IPTV.

You mean you are watching adds with a little bit of golf included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

In saying above - as people on an online forum and undoubtedly people who use Twitter and Netflix and Boards etc.

We have to accept that how people access content and view sporting events is going to change.

Yes this was a poor first experience - but for years we watched golf on Sky and it was terrible coverage. They had to put ten years into it before it was right. This will be much quicker to improve.

I don't buy that.

Why should we accept a worse service than what we had before, it should be going the opposite way.

There is really no reason why 11 sports couldn't have a proper TV channel.

If this sort of stuff becomes the norm you will kill off sports because people will simply not be bothered going to all that hassle to view something.The hardcore fans will but hardcore fans don't keep a sport thriving it's the casual fans that keep sport alive.

If streaming leads to an increase in coverage then it's fine but when it replaces already existing coverage then it isn't.

Media companies/sports organisations seem to want to bully people into accepting this as the way it will be rather than them doing what they can to keep their fans happy.It's a big mistake to take your fans for granted particularly in a sport that is not one of the top 2 or 3 in a country.

The US open tennis has been on TV forever and from next month it will be exclusively on Amazon Prime which is once again like this weeks PGA a worse situation than what you had before.

Not sure the 11 model is the future though. I wonder will many people actually pay for, well, 11 different services to access all the sport they want to see...

I don't buy that.

Why should we accept a worse service than what we had before, it should be going the opposite way.

There is really no reason why 11 sports couldn't have a proper TV channel.

If this sort of stuff becomes the norm you will kill off sports because people will simply not be bothered going to all that hassle to view something.The hardcore fans will but hardcore fans don't keep a sport thriving it's the casual fans that keep sport alive.

If streaming leads to an increase in coverage then it's fine but when it replaces already existing coverage then it isn't.

Media companies/sports organisations seem to want to bully people into accepting this as the way it will be rather than them doing what they can to keep their fans happy.It's a big mistake to take your fans for granted particularly in a sport that is not one of the top 2 or 3 in a country.

The US open tennis has been on TV forever and from next month it will be exclusively on Amazon Prime which is once again like this weeks PGA a worse situation than what you had before.

You may not buy it - but it is the reality.

Like - people said they wouldn't get a mobile phone - they have one.
    People said they wouldn't go on Facebook they went on it.
    People said - Spotify would kill music - they have it.
    People said they like reading real books - they don't now.

Yes the service is poor at present - but so many of the alternatives have improved at a pace unimaginable and the likes of Netflix and Spottily provide an incredible service.

It is not right at the moment - but today online I could watch all of Tiger woods round and I loved it.

I never imagined I'd watch sport on a phone - I don't like it - but it is improving as an experience all the time.

In relation to it being hassle - seriously.

People saying this - probably use whatsapp regularly.
    Whatsapp didn't even exist 5 years ago and is part of every day life now.

It is starting off - but you will find it way easier being able to watch your golf anywhere on the move as you like.
    Phone - PC- tv - car.

If this is good for golf is another debate. I don't think it is.

But as a service - it is very naive for people to think it can not be a superior service. It can - as most other formats have done.

Tv in 15 years time will be unrecognizable - it will be an interactive experience that rather than us typing and talking and watching - you will be watching it with your friends in the room by an online component.

Kids are already doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

so i wasn't the only one who had to log back into eleven sports at midnight

imagine if that putt mattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Stopped watching boxing when it went ppv over 20 years ago, F1 when it went to Sky, football when it went everywhere etc. The sports may go from strength to strength as people pay more to access them but they're losing popularity imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Non event. Thank god that's over and we can move on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

You may not buy it - but it is the reality.

Like - people said they wouldn't get a mobile phone - they have one.
    People said they wouldn't go on Facebook they went on it.
    People said - Spotify would kill music - they have it.
    People said they like reading real books - they don't now.

Yes the service is poor at present - but so many of the alternatives have improved at a pace unimaginable and the likes of Netflix and Spottily provide an incredible service.

It is not right at the moment - but today online I could watch all of Tiger woods round and I loved it.

I never imagined I'd watch sport on a phone - I don't like it - but it is improving as an experience all the time.

In relation to it being hassle - seriously.

People saying this - probably use whatsapp regularly.
    Whatsapp didn't even exist 5 years ago and is part of every day life now.

It is starting off - but you will find it way easier being able to watch your golf anywhere on the move as you like.
    Phone - PC- tv - car.

If this is good for golf is another debate. I don't think it is.

But as a service - it is very naive for people to think it can not be a superior service. It can - as most other formats have done.

Tv in 15 years time will be unrecognizable - it will be an interactive experience that rather than us typing and talking and watching - you will be watching it with your friends in the room by an online component.

Kids are already doing that.

Until pretty much in the world has high speed broadband and streams provide the exact same picture quality as television and every TV will be a smart TV with access to every single website you want then I will have no problem with sport being streaming solely.But that isn't the case right now.

The problem is they should have a TV option aswell, an online provider combined with traditional TV option is an improvement not one or the other.

The viewing figures for this last night were almost certainly horrendously bad.Imagine if Woods had won and one of the sports greatest ever moment was watched by barely anybody in the UK and Ireland it would have been a massive own goal by the sport, whoever sold the rights are sort of lucky that Woods didn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

But the sky coverage was the first to show almost blanket tournament coverage, golf coverage upto sky was the majors and that was it.

As a starting point the coverage from online providers has to be of a similar quality to what was currently on offer. Its not good enough to say oh its new etc as there is already a quality offering out there and this needs to equal or improve on it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

The forgotten major
    Out of sight, out of mind

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

backspin. wrote:
    You mean you are watching adds with a little bit of golf included.

Very few ads actually. No buffering either. Quality of the stream has a lot to do with the technology you use, and your IPTV provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Very few ads actually. No buffering either. Quality of the stream has a lot to do with the technology you use, and your IPTV provider.

I have Screen Mirroring on my phone and TV so was able to watch it on the big screen. Picture quality wasn't HD but it was tolerable. I didn't find the ad breaks too intrusive but its a bit pointless seeing ads for US and Canadian car models!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

whats the best technology to use?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

First Up wrote:
    I have Screen Mirroring on my phone and TV so was able to watch it on the big screen. Picture quality wasn't HD but it was tolerable. I didn't find the ad breaks too intrusive but its a bit pointless seeing ads for US and Canadian car models!

Phone to a Chromecast works but it's not even close in quality to proper IPTV.

Good quality smart TV or a Mag256. The key is the provider though. Mobdro etc. are free but low quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

A dodgy box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

A little help on a Monday morning.

http://bfy.tw/JNvD

Eleven Sports coverage and commentary was pretty poor overall I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

whoever sold the rights are sort of lucky that Woods didn't win.

Please stop peddling this nonsense endlessly.

Whoever sold the rights got precisely what they wanted - cold, hard, cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well I thought the TNT and CBS coverage was excellent, the 4D Eye thingy vision of the drive was super as well as their much more frequent protracer and split screen use. Top marks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement