Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Please stop peddling this nonsense endlessly.

Whoever sold the rights got precisely what they wanted - cold, hard, cash.

You really are a bit thick if you don't realise that drastically reducing your viewership for one of the sports marquee events is not a good thing to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You really are a bit thick if you don't realise that drastically reducing your viewership for one of the sports marquee events is not a good thing to be doing.

You should tweet that to the PGA. After all they are the thicks you so eloquently described

Rikand wrote: »
    You should tweet that to the PGA. After all they are the thicks you so eloquently described

I'm not on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Please stop peddling this nonsense endlessly.

Whoever sold the rights got precisely what they wanted - cold, hard, cash.

And you don't appear to realise that the PGA of America couldn't give a ****e how many people over here watch it or not. They care about raising add much cash as possible. I'll make no comment on your intelligence but people can draw their own conclusions if you refuse to acknowledge this most basic of points.

You're sore about the whole thing because watching it this year was an inconvenience for you. That's what this comes down to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mehh

every single stream I have ever seen, and i'm talking legit ones like sky go etc is always well delayed to main tv coverage. tv coverage is generally a little delayed also.

might not mean much, but plenty of lads enjoy sitting there watching the box with their betfair account open in these modern times. cont really be doing that with a delay. and then there is the poorer quality picture.

I'm all for change. Sure I remember the days when I was the remote control, our TV had 12 channels that you had to click a button on and to tune in the 6 available stations you had to tune like a radio dial! But just because something is modern and innovative it doesn't mean that it will take off and change the way we will do things.

Lets hope this is just like Betamax and HD DVD..... never to be seen of again :D

And you don't appear to realise that the PGA of America couldn't give a ****e how many people over here watch it or not. They care about raising add much cash as possible. I'll make no comment on your intelligence but people can draw their own conclusions if you refuse to acknowledge this most basic of points.

You're sore about the whole thing because watching it this year was an inconvenience for you. That's what this comes down to.

And hundreds of thousands of other people.

I watched all 4 days online but I'm probably amongst the 10% or less of people who did compared to last year or any year before. The PGA of america may not care about viewership over here and the UK but they really should.

I understand that they probably were offered more money but a short term gain for a long term loss is not really a good thing to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Wasnt so bad for me as i have the tv hooked up to an android box. So had Eleven running on that. But watching on the phone is a disaster in general. Golf Twitter makes golf about 100 times more enjoyable. The likes of NoLayingUp and a few others are a must to get the most of the viewing experience for me. So id rather just not watch than have to stream to phone or tablet.

More screens I need more screens.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think they were lucky that Tiger didn't win?

If he had won, what calamity do you think would have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seve OB wrote: »

might not mean much, but plenty of lads enjoy sitting there watching the box with their betfair account open in these modern times. cont really be doing that with a delay. :D

I had to switch off my bet365 in-play odds cos it was a massive spoiler.:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Seve OB wrote: »
    mehh

every single stream I have ever seen, and i'm talking legit ones like sky go etc is always well delayed to main tv coverage. tv coverage is generally a little delayed also.

might not mean much, but plenty of lads enjoy sitting there watching the box with their betfair account open in these modern times. cont really be doing that with a delay. and then there is the poorer quality picture.

I'm all for change. Sure I remember the days when I was the remote control, our TV had 12 channels that you had to click a button on and to tune in the 6 available stations you had to tune like a radio dial! But just because something is modern and innovative it doesn't mean that it will take off and change the way we will do things.

Lets hope this is just like Betamax and HD DVD..... never to be seen of again :D

You need to look a bit harder Seve.

The PGA wasn't on tv as such here so streaming is the way to go. Who cares if the pictures are a bit delayed?

Quality wise the best streams are full 1080hd, with no buffering. You just need to be a bit innovative in finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think people into golf, watched it if they wanted.

I know it is not great for the game. But if your on a golf forum - seriously into golf. You will see a major if you want to.

People were streaming it for free - you could even pay if you wanted.

Going a bit further - if you are serious into golf , you don't miss majors.

I wouldn't miss a major no matter what - I've often listened to it on long wave radio. Watching it on the phone is something I did for the first time this year.

This time I watched it on the link provided here. I enjoyed watching Tiger. I'd be seriously disappointed if I didn't see that Tiger comeback.
    Modern lads like Koepka are grand - great at what they do. But that atmosphere with Tiger hasn't been seen in years.

Watching a single round of golf was an interesting experience - I'd never done that before and really enjoyed seeing the rhythm of a pro round of golf. How some pros interact with their caddy - how some are fast - how some get a ref for everything they do - how others get on with it.
    Was interesting to see how quick some are - how fast some get to their ball.

Full live coverage these days can be a mixed bag - there seems little or no continuity - it seems very obvious that you are watching something that has happened - they suddenly show a pro that they haven't shown and he inevitably holes the shot.

Watching golf takes a bit of effort anyway. Would even 10 % of golfers, go out of their way to watch a European tour event for example.

It was a poor first effort - but it is the future of sports coverage.

My own kids would laugh at me If I told them I have to watch something on a tv.

I couldn't see the golf from a golf fan - is a bit pathetic to be honest.

Same guys posting on a forum - with a gps - laser and looking at their round on google earth (an 89) back on a scoring system on their phone.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think they were lucky that Tiger didn't win?

It would have been one of the sports greatest ever moments yet nobody would have seen it which would be much worse than missing out on Brooks Koepka winning another major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

The PGA wasn't on tv as such here so streaming is the way to go. Who cares if the pictures are a bit delayed?

Quality wise the best streams are full 1080hd, with no buffering. You just need to be a bit innovative in finding them.

Do you mind me asking what provider you use to get good high quality 1080hd streams. Looking for alternatives myself.

It would have been one of the sports greatest ever moments yet nobody would have seen it which would be much worse than missing out on Brooks Koepka winning another major.

But how are they lucky that it didn't happen?

Rather they'd have had the glory of being able to trumpet that they're subscribers were the ones that got to see it.

But how are they lucky that it didn't happen?

Rather they'd have had the glory of being able to trumpet that they're subscribers were the ones that got to see it.

I said it would have been an own goal by the sport of golf not the broadcaster.

Because instead of having a great moment for the sport where hundreds of thousands could see Woods winning again and been annoyed they missed out nobody is annoyed they missed out on Keopka winning.

It would be preferable for great moments in any sport to be seen by as many people as possible.If something great happens and nobody gets to see it it means the moment isn't quite as great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Do you mind me asking what provider you use to get good high quality 1080hd streams. Looking for alternatives myself.

I'm not allowed to answer that I believe.

Apologies, got mixed up on that but I still think you're wrong.

It would have gone round the world in seconds, via Twitter/YouTube etc.

Again, I can't stress this enough, the responsibility of the PGA of America is to its members. It's not up to them to promote the sport or increase viewership.

Except that it wasn't.

p.s. Lots of folk watched it, and if similar happens again loads more will. Change will happen inevitably - the trick is to be ready for it.

Except that it wasn't.

p.s. Lots of folk watched it, and if similar happens again loads more will. Change will happen inevitably - the trick is to be ready for it.

I doubt as many people watched the PGA championship this year as in previous years.

People were coming to this board last night asking what TV channel it was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I couldn't find a way to cancel my subscription on the eleven sports website but remembered I had signed up on android via my google play account so the cancellation had to be done on the play store app.

Just a heads up if anyone else is having the same issues on android/apple and a reminder for others to cancel before 7 day trial is up.

I doubt as many people watched the PGA championship this year as in previous years.

I doubt it too. That's not the point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

I couldn't find a way to cancel my subscription on the eleven sports website but remembered I had signed up on android via my google play account so the cancellation had to be done on the play store app.

Just a heads up if anyone else is having the same issues on android/apple and a reminder for others to cancel before 7 day trial is up.

My Account -> Subscriptions -> Big red button that says cancel

Not that hard to find on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What do you want me to look harder for? I was making a comment that sometimes new fads mount to no more than just fads. Sometimes they take off and change the ways of the world. All I said was that I hope this ends up like another fad.

Who says streaming is the way to go? Just because it suits you, it is not for everybody.

I care if they are delayed and I know plenty of other people who also do. Sure there was a post above who agreed with me

Innovative??????? I'm a consumer. I don't want to be innovative, I just want an end product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

So PM him...for f*ck sake, you’d swear you have Wednesday nights winning lotto numbers the way you are harping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I'm presuming from your answer that the stream you are looking at is illegal?

If thats the case then really your argument isnt valid for a lot of the comments/queries/complaints here.

For all their issues Sky had a good product that was easily availed by diehard and casual golf fans alike. The same cant be said for the streaming set up. I couldnt be bothered with the stuttering stream after the first day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

bren2001 wrote: »
    My Account -> Subscriptions -> Big red button that says cancel

Not that hard to find on the website.

That button is not showing up on my browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

sightband wrote: »
    So PM him...for f*ck sake, you’d swear you have Wednesday nights winning lotto numbers the way you are harping on.
    Be nice and no need for the langauage

• Advertisement

sightband wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057895542

As far as I know watching IPTV isn't illegal btw.

Advertisement