Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

joe_99 wrote: »
    That button is not showing up on my browser.

How did you sign up? As per my original post, i could only cancel through google play store as I signed up via android app.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057895542

As far as I know watching IPTV isn't illegal btw.
    I'm copying what the mod posted in that thread.

Basically you can’t talk about any service that’s pirating content. So if someone is offering you Sky Sports or recently released films for free or a very cheap price, then you can’t talk about it.

It’s okay to talk about - and this is not an exclusive list - Eir Vision, Vodafone TV, Now TV, Netflix, Prime Video, RTE Player, 3player, All4, Sky Go, VirginTV Anywhere, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

I couldn't see the golf from a golf fan - is a bit pathetic to be honest.

Depends where you live. Depends on your circumstances.
    Not everyone has a good internet service. Not everyone can get to their friends house or the pub to watch it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

G1032 wrote: »
    Not everyone has a good internet service. Not everyone can get to their friends house or the pub to watch it either

ya as the internet is a bit sh** in our place I didnt get to see any of it bar a few holes Saturday evening in the brothers house, he streamed it from the pga site which was not bad.! moving up to Dublin soon so hopefully that will be the end of the dodgy internet days,ha...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Thats something else that streaming doesnt allow and thats watching golf in the pub.
    Both my golf club and our local pub would have the Majors on, the US golf on in the evening especially the bigger tournaments etc. I guess that streaming will mean the end of golf in this sort of setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

Webbs wrote: »
    Thats something else that streaming doesnt allow and thats watching golf in the pub.
    Both my golf club and our local pub would have the Majors on, the US golf on in the evening especially the bigger tournaments etc. I guess that streaming will mean the end of golf in this sort of setting.

I've watched plenty of sports in pubs where streams are used (illegal ones). Eleven will very quickly be sorting out licenses for pubs and clubs. Its a big market for them.

I'm not allowed to answer that I believe.

ah right its one of those...can you send me a PM, I promise I wont report you,ha!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ah right its one of those...can you send me a PM, I promise I wont report you,ha!!

You've poor internets. No dice I'm afraid.

You've poor internets. No dice I'm afraid.

hopefully that internet issue will be sorted when I move to Dublin next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Your talking about a very small number of examples.

Again - watching golf takes effort. It isn't on regular tv 99 % of the time.

The problems your describing above would have existed anyway.

If you have no friends - no internet - and no pub. Golf is the last of your worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

illegal IPTV will never be the solution as you need serious infrastructure to keep it reliable and fly-by-night operations just can't get it good enough. i've been a paying member of loads of these sites over the years, my main one being a big one that begins with star and whilst good, buffers every now and then on certain occasions. nothing is more infuriating, i'd take a way worse quality stream as long as it doesn't buffer. anyone who uses illegal IPTV and says it has never buffered on them is lying.

eleven sports didn't buffer this weekend, NFL gamepass never bufffers, all the legit ones are worth the money for reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I would pay 30 a month no problem for golf only if it was available. PGA tour and the majors, European tour and the LPGA. I do t watch any other sports. But unfortunately it won't be packaged like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

backspin. wrote: »
    I would pay 30 a month no problem for golf only if it was available. PGA tour and the majors, European tour and the LPGA. I do t watch any other sports. But unfortunately it won't be packaged like that.

Would be a great idea if something like that ever did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

backspin. wrote: »

Maybe someday there'll be a pick n mix tv sports service where you can subscribe to specific events. I think that would be the ideal for the majority of sports fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Watched in my local last night. No reason why they can't rig it up. Only issue was it froze briefly every so often. So a Shane Lowry birdie putt stops just short of the hole ..... then starts going again and drops in. Still we knew it would a birdie cos 1. They're not going to show a Lowry birdie putt unless it goes in, and 2. We already heard a roar from the fellas down the pub who were watching live on their phones and a couple of minutes ahead on the Eleven stream.... honest to God, lads would yes keep it to yourselves and Lete us enjoy the coverage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Excellent championship.....I've heard, loada bollóx that the PGA wasn't on a tv station, I'm paying for Sky Sports and BT and neither of them could get the finger out and get the PGA. More fool me for paying I suppose.

Anyway this is a dangerous precedent to set, streaming live sport is ok if high speed interent is available to you but when the best you can get is 2mb then you're goosed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Whatever about the future of streaming and all that, I just feel bad for the likes of my grandad who's in his late 70s and adores the golf, yet couldn't watch the championship this weekend. Thank feck Tiger didn't win, because if he did and the old boy wouldn't have seen it, he would have been just devestated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm most definitely in the minority here by the looks of it, but I found Eleven sports streaming quality to be excellent. I had no problems with it whatsoever. The coverage/analysis itself was a different story but I'll give them a pass as it was their first attempt.

It was a great tournament to watch, the best major of the year for me, and it's a shame so many seem to have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

i would be a casual golf fan used to watch all the majors when on FTA but thanks to a poster here I was able to watch selected groups play their 18 holes over the weekend on the PGA.com site. I know this is not ideal for the real golf fan but for the likes of me it was fine I was able to follow Tiger and when he finished I was able to follow Koepka as he played his final holes there were constant updates on the other leaders during the evening. I was wondering is this facility available for all PGA events

NDWC wrote: »
    I'm most definitely in the minority here by the looks of it, but I found Eleven sports streaming quality to be excellent. I had no problems with it whatsoever. The coverage/analysis itself was a different story but I'll give them a pass as it was their first attempt.

It was a great tournament to watch, the best major of the year for me, and it's a shame so many seem to have missed it.

Similar experience, although as a previous poster alluded the connection speed was the clincher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

NDWC wrote: »

Yep, streaming not a problem. But Holyer and Donaldson looked like hostages held captive in a public toilet, and I doubt they were in Missouri. Also, Eleven Sports seemed to have limited access to CBS commentary, leaving the "hostages" to do a lot of fill-in commentating.

Overall, SkySports must be gutted at missing out two years on the Major which is often the most exciting of the lot. And losing La Liga is a huge blow.

Sunday Times indicated that Eleven Sports will be added to Virgin Media's menu...

marbless wrote: »
    Holyer and Donaldson looked like hostages held captive in a public toilet, and I doubt they were in Missouri. Also, Eleven Sports seemed to have limited access to CBS commentary, leaving the "hostages" to do a lot of fill-in commentating.

+1

Couldn't have articulated it better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭shmeee

Over the weekend I was in various bars etc having food or drink and they all had the golf on, a laptop plugged into a HDMI and then around to the various TV's in the bar. Some Major bars were doing this, not the small places in the middle of nowhere.

Eleven Sports say on their website they will sort out commercial licencing very shortly so they will roll it out officially to bars and clubs etc.

On a side note, I had no issue with Eleven Sports, signed up and cancelled the sub then last night. Stream didn't lag once for me (only watched Saturday and Sunday) and quality of image was excellent, plugged into a 42inch TV.

Too many people giving out about not getting to watch the golf, people think they are entitled to watch all major sporting events now, no your not, years ago with only get a percentage of what we have available now.

This is only the start of online streaming major sporting events, we have Sky TV in the house but apart from sport we don't watch much general TV. And it wouldn't bother me if it was online only streaming for major sporting events. People need to get with the times and where technology is going!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

shmeee wrote: »
    Over the weekend I was in various bars etc having food or drink and they all had the golf on, a laptop plugged into a HDMI and then around to the various TV's in the bar. Some Major bars were doing this, not the small places in the middle of nowhere.

Eleven Sports say on their website they will sort out commercial licencing very shortly so they will roll it out officially to bars and clubs etc.

On a side note, I had no issue with Eleven Sports, signed up and cancelled the sub then last night. Stream didn't lag once for me (only watched Saturday and Sunday) and quality of image was excellent, plugged into a 42inch TV.

Too many people giving out about not getting to watch the golf, people think they are entitled to watch all major sporting events now, no your not, years ago with only get a percentage of what we have available now.

This is only the start of online streaming major sporting events, we have Sky TV in the house but apart from sport we don't watch much general TV. And it wouldn't bother me if it was online only streaming for major sporting events. People need to get with the times and where technology is going!

spoken like someone who has the option or already has seriously high speed fibre broadband.

what about those that are willing to pay to watch but just can't.

sightband wrote: »
    spoken like someone who has the option or already has seriously high speed fibre broadband.

what about those that are willing to pay to watch but just can't.

Yes, that is an issue, high speed broadband currently getting rolled out in different areas. By the end of 2018 78% of premises will have access to high speed broadband. 100% (never will be the full access to be honest) by 2020.

But anyone I know who was giving out had access to internet and expressed their annoyance over social media and to access social media they had internet which in turn was available to watch the PGA.

You didn't need high-speed internet to watch the golf either, a standard broadband speed could handle the video, a 3mb connection was successfully able to stream the golf in High Def 720p.

I'd agree with all that but there are still so many areas in ireland which don't have sufficient broadband speed. more so, golf is the one sport i find very hard to watch through any stream speed here, have sky fibre myself and there are still issues, needs to be crystal clear to enjoy it fully and no chance of buffering.

sightband wrote: »
    I'd agree with all that but there are still so many areas in ireland which don't have sufficient broadband speed. more so, golf is the one sport i find very hard to watch through any stream speed here, have sky fibre myself and there are still issues, needs to be crystal clear to enjoy it fully and no chance of buffering.

There is parts of Ireland that will never even get standard wired broadband against what they all say.

I had no issues over the weekend, and many others I talked to seemed to find the stream fine also running on a minimum broadband speed.

The industry is changing, Netflix is only the start.

Broadband in Ireland is so patchy and like you said you had fibre but still had issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

that's not the point i was making. any major sporting event should be made available to those that are willing to pay if the technology is available. from what i believe, no satellite service was available? I stand to be corrected. I also find streaming to be wholly unreliable in comparison to satellite services. That's an issue with service here, I agree, but until that is good enough then alternative services should be available. that was a pretty special major missed by many that would've gladly paid at home or in boozers, legally, unlike how many did myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The thing with fibre broadband is that it is likely to go down in major weather events. A storm will easily bring down fibre on poles. Satellite is much more reliable that way.

I wonder what the costs are like for Eleven to simply stream versus putting it on satellite.

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/going-over-the-top-streaming-vs-satellite/1923.article

Advertisement