Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 maireadf

My Fil has a horizon box with virgin media .. The red button doesn't work .. Anything I can do to get the golf for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

maireadf wrote: »
    My Fil has a horizon box with virgin media .. The red button doesn't work .. Anything I can do to get the golf for him

No access with Virgin until 11.15 on bbc 2. He can stream it via the facebook page, give me sport.

He's not a Facebook type of fella I'm afraid .. Thanks for the info so he'll just have to wait for the highlights ... Shame as he's been watching the golf for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

maireadf wrote: »
    He's not a Facebook type of fella I'm afraid .. Thanks for the info so he'll just have to wait for the highlights ... Shame as he's been watching the golf for years

11.15 to 12.30 on bbc 2 arent highlights, its live golf. With the current rain delay, he may get to see more than that! Let him know it starts a little earlier saturday and sunday, 10pm or so. So hel see the back 9 on Sunday live at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I wonder with the rain delay will they extend the coverage on BBC2?

Play due to restart just as they go on air....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks for that Benicetomonty .. I'll let him know

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

some of the comments here :D

my favourite is
    Ever watched Shell's Wonderful World of Golf? This is the Major equivalent to Ernie beating Phil in Tenerife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Seve OB wrote: »

Yeah I don't have Sky so was excited about this "coup" of having a major on free to air.

But this is a piss poor, flat product. Maureen, Ken, Mark James just have zero energy or enthusiasm and Peter Allis sounds like he's one pork pie away from his grave. Only the olympics golf coverage was worse than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very poor on the beeb. Think I'm too used to watching it in HD and I like Sky's xtra stuff they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Is it the actual golf ye enjoy or the commentary ? Do ye miss mark roe and monty ? The bbc is showing the same pics as sky would have so no difference there . I would take what the ex golf club <snip> , now called the club say with a pinch of salt .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I've noticed the camera work is terrible. Mcillroys wayward shot, he points out right. Cue camera looking at left side of green. Couldn't have been further wrong. And too often they're scrambling without knowing where the ball is at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is it the actual golf ye enjoy or the commentary ? Do ye miss mark roe and monty ? The bbc is showing the same pics as sky would have so no difference there . I would take what the ex golf club <snip> , now called the club say with a pinch of salt .

Man it's everything about the quality of presentation and coverage.

It's like watching any sport on different platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

callaway92 wrote: »
    Man it's everything about the quality of presentation and coverage.

It's like watching any sport on different platforms.

I've no problem with it . Skys commentators bug the sh1t out of me after 4 days anyway :) and since they added clarke its gotten worse !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Mushy wrote:
    I've noticed the camera work is terrible. Mcillroys wayward shot, he points out right. Cue camera looking at left side of green. Couldn't have been further wrong. And too often they're scrambling without knowing where the ball is at all.

Not the BBC's cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

First Up wrote: »
    Mushy wrote:

Not the BBC's cameras.

Yeah but the feed that BBC are getting is poor (is it the TNT one too?) I only get it on Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

The golf itself is pretty boring so far but then the 1st two days usually are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The golf itself is pretty boring so far but then the 1st two days usually are!

Agree.

The final day of a major championship when it is tight is one of the great things in sport, first couple of days of any major (and any golf tournament) are always fairly quiet as each shot doesn't feel like it has as much riding on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sthilmick

Agree.

The final day of a major championship when it is tight is one of the great things in sport, first couple of days of any major (and any golf tournament) are always fairly quiet as each shot doesn't feel like it has as much riding on it.
    That kinda true for the average sports viewer but adamant golf fans really want to watch the 4 days of the tournament as for the actual product being offered by the BBC looks like Mark James is auditioning for the Alzheimer's job when Peter Ailis retires mixing up players and knowing nothing about them some times better to say nothing at all but it aint any worse than listening to Ewan Murray call Bruce Chritchly conel every ten minutes and Mark Roe reference to the time he drove past a major venue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Is Eir the only way to watch it now? BBC not starting till 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Mark James always sounds really glum & depressed. I get depressed listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

God the Eir presentation is brutal. They showed the leaderboard with Matsuyama at -6 then about 5 minutes later they show his birdie putt. One of many similar mistakes ive seen and ive only been watching for 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Gregk961 wrote: »
    God the Eir presentation is brutal. They showed the leaderboard with Matsuyama at -6 then about 5 minutes later they show his birdie putt. One of many similar mistakes ive seen and ive only been watching for 2 hours

That always drives me mental. It's like when they show a ball on the green and then show the shot afterwards, it kills the suspense completely. If all the shots are recorded they should surely just be shown in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Gregk961 wrote: »

That's the Americian broadcasters for you so nothing new here, same for standard PGA tour events when on Sky.

Other than that, the Eir coverage was fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

That's the Americian broadcasters for you so nothing new here, same for standard PGA tour events when on Sky.

Other than that, the Eir coverage was fine for me.

yes but this wasnt a standard PGA tour event, where they knock off coverage at 7.30 for 30 minutes. This was a major and BBC (Eir were never going to do anything but stream)made absolutely zero effort to the point that they didnt even show it live.

Coverage was an absolute shocker as so many have said and just simply not good enough in this day and age. The PGA wanted to bring in more fans, do something a little different, but I think its safe to say that has completely backfired.

Quality events deserve quality coverage and only Sky can provide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

yes but this wasnt a standard PGA tour event, where they knock off coverage at 7.30 for 30 minutes. This was a major and BBC (Eir were never going to do anything but stream)made absolutely zero effort to the point that they didnt even show it live.

Coverage was an absolute shocker as so many have said and just simply not good enough in this day and age. The PGA wanted to bring in more fans, do something a little different, but I think its safe to say that has completely backfired.

Quality events deserve quality coverage and only Sky can provide that.

I'd tend to agree with that. It just felt like it was a bit of an afterthought on the BBC's behalf and a little bit half arsed tbh. Like a throwback to watching the snooker in the 1980s !
    I know BBC will reach more people than Sky (not sure about whether the red button malarkey does or not), but they were simply not up to Sky's usual standards. I don't agree with everything Sky do, like the fireworks on the tee box when they're showing the British Masters for example, but the USPGA was like listening to commentary at a funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

the main woman anchor on bbc golf, good god, this gender quality thing is embarrassing,
    at least get someone who has a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The big problem with the coverage was not having it in HD. It is puzzling why they don't have a back up red button channel in HD.

Saying that when I did a rescan on my box a HD red button channel appears along with the old olympic hd channels. It might be a legacy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Biggest miss on BBC was no on-course reporters. So when Day imploded on the 54th hole, it was impossible to tell where his ball had ended up and what sort of drop + next shot he was facing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Next year will be better on BBC. Wait and see.

Advertisement