Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

marbless wrote: »
    Biggest miss on BBC was no on-course reporters. So when Day imploded on the 54th hole, it was impossible to tell where his ball had ended up and what sort of drop + next shot he was facing.

Ya they were all in the London studio.. It was weak. Such short notice for getting the event caused that - big let down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Next year will be better on BBC. Wait and see.

It can't be worse.

In fairness to the BBC they seemed to get it quite late in the day, if they had of known I am sure you would have Ken Brown etc... at the event and not Peter Allis sitting at home on his couch.

It was clear it was a thrown together production, even the way the gave it TV was all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

marbless wrote:
    Biggest miss on BBC was no on-course reporters. So when Day imploded on the 54th hole, it was impossible to tell where his ball had ended up and what sort of drop + next shot he was facing.

How often does it have to be explained that the BBC was not the host broadcaster? They didn't have cameras, on course commentators or control over what was been covered. At most they had a choice of a few shots to show at any given time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Apart from the Scottish woman in the studio were any of the other personnel under 75?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

I see nothing has officially been announced yet as to who is broadcasting this in 3 weeks but all reports point to Eleven Sports obtaining the rights. They have no TV channel and are fully streaming.

I'm sick of having to pay for so many different providers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

bren2001 wrote: »
    I see nothing has officially been announced yet as to who is broadcasting this in 3 weeks but all reports point to Eleven Sports obtaining the rights. They have no TV channel and are fully streaming.

I'm sick of having to pay for so many different providers.

There is no way any broadcaster should be fully streaming , you must provide at least a TV option for everyone.The US open tennis is being streamed only on Amazon prime also.Eleven Sports have done the same for Spanish Soccer and Italian Soccer.

I really really hope nobody watches and to be honest they go close to going out of business with their idiotic model.Also the one sport where streaming only will probably not work well is golf considering the demographic that watches the sport.

Eir Sport showed this last year so hopefully they will have the Irish rights again like they have with the masters. Although they didn't put it of their hd channel last year.

The fact that the PGA championshiop rights have not been sorted and it's on in less than a month is really poor form also.

Sports outside the main 1 or 2 sports in a country are being further marginalised year after year,so you would think this would be big hint to golf authorities (and the leaders of the professional sport) that you need to do whatever it takes to grow your fan base not reduce it even if it means receiving less money in the short term.Broadcast rights for golf should be a lot less important than other sports because of the apount of sponsorship in golf and to take full advantage of that you need more viewers.

All 4 majors should be on free to air TV all across the world.At least with Sky you kknew where you stood so it's a lot better than this nonsense of the rights holder changing year after year, in America most rights deal seem to last cose to a decade why the hell can that not be the case over here and at least oif you had to pay a subscription you would know where you stood at the start of each year.

Putting on a web only provider is one of the stupidest moves considering the age profile of a lot of golf fans and consdering that the PGA (particularly in europe) is by a country mile the 4th of the 4 majors (there was one stage a decade or so ago where the players championship appeared to be a bigger deal) and you'll have very few people except the real hard core fan willing to pay to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Eleven Sports are showing the PGA free to air in the Uk and Ireland

You can watch the first 2 rounds on Facebook live or all 4 on eleven sports website.

Still an absolute load of bollox though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ForeRight wrote: »

You can watch the first 2 rounds on Facebook live or all 4 on eleven sports website.

pure crap. watching tv on facebox. what has the world come to

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

Details here

There will be three ways to watch the action on ELEVEN SPORTS. All four rounds will be shown LIVE and free of charge through a 7-day trial on the ELEVEN SPORTS’ online platform via www.elevensports.uk, and on iOS and Android mobile and tablet apps. The first two rounds will also be streamed for free on Facebook LIVE through the ELEVEN SPORTS UK page.

The ELEVEN SPORTS online platform and the mobile and tablet apps will be launched ahead of the event starting in early August, when details of how to subscribe, plus an affordable and flexible pricing plan for the premium action on ELEVEN SPORTS beyond the PGA Championship will also be announced.

During the first two days of the Championship, ELEVEN SPORTS will show LIVE coverage of two selected groups on www.elevensports.uk, on the mobile and tablet apps, and on Facebook from approximately 4pm BST until 7pm BST. Then, from approximately 7pm BST, full uninterrupted coverage will run through to the close of play on the same platforms, meaning at least 8.5 hours of continuous LIVE golf on each day.

The final two rounds will be shown on www.elevensports.uk and on the mobile and tablet apps, with full uninterrupted coverage running from approximately 5pm BST through to the close of play on each day.

Full release below.

http://elevensports.com/eleven-sports-to-show-2018-pga-championship-for-free-across-multiple-platforms/

Ill survive with with the PC hooked up to the telly. My old man (whos PC skills are intermediate at best) will not be pleased that he's going to be watching the USPGA on his tablet.

• Advertisement

Where my house is located there is no proper broadband where you can have unlimited broadband and it costs around €8 per hour to watch something on netflix, so I assume this will cost soething similar.

Where my house is located there is no proper broadband where you can have unlimited broadband and it costs around €8 per hour to watch something on netflix, so I assume this will cost soething similar.

Good lord!!!
    Are you living in 1987 still.
    That’s insane

• Registered Users Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolute joke, competition should be boycotted.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Absolutely joke, competition should be boycotted.

Agree with that to an extent.

I wonder do the PGA and the players themselves geneuinely realise with this sort of a decision how much they are alienting the sports fans.

There will almost cetrianly be a massive drop in viewership for the championship this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good lord!!!
    That’s insane

his modem will have to dial up
    poor mary won't be able to get through on the phone if there is an emergency

Good lord!!!
    That’s insane

We have to use a dongle in order to get our internet as we live a mile outside the village where you can get a proper broadband connection.

Tried to get proper unlimited broadband form a couple of providers but it's not available for us yet and it won't be until the end of this year (although we were told that last year aswell).

We have to use a dongle in order to get our internet as we live a mile outside the village where you can get a proper broadband connection.

Tried to get proper unlimited broadband form a couple of providers but it's not available for us yet and it won't be until the end of this year (although we were told that last year aswell).

Satellite dish?

First Up wrote: »
    Satellite dish?

Sky said it wasn't available for us when I contected them a couple of months.

I imagine it's similar for alot of other people living outsoide of big towns.

Same thing has happened with one of my colleagues who lives in Wicklow.

Sky said it wasn't available for us when I contected them a couple of months.

I imagine it's similar for alot of other people living outsoide of big towns.

Same thing has happened with one of my colleagues who lives in Wicklow.

That sounds very odd. You can hook up to a satellite from the top of Mount Everest. All you need to know is where to point it - no different in suburban Dublin or the wilds of Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

First Up wrote: »
    Satellite dish?

Didn't think it was possible to get broadband through a satellite dish.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

3/4G?

GreeBo wrote: »
    3/4G?

I think we have 3G at the moment from the dongle we are using.

Think I might go back to Sky and see if they can do anything, they may have been juts fobbing us off the last time.

Sky is accessible anywhere for tv but he still won’t have interactive services with no broadband.
    When getting broadband with sky they just use the eir fibre coming into the house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd consider myself fairly tech savvy and up to date but I've never in my life heard of Eleven sports, are they well known?

I'd much rather see it on BBC again even though from memory the coverage last year was just thrown together at the last minute and they had nobody at the course etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think this is the beginning of sports being streamed exclusively with no option on satellite. It is going to get very hard for rural dwellers or even people half a mile outside towns.

Unless serious pressure is put on the politicians and some party puts fibre broadband on the top of their manifesto these sort of situations will become a lot more common.

I'd be in favour of an annual telecomms charge if it meant proper rollout of broadband. Not much good having it in major urban areas whem you go rural for your holidays and can't get 3G.

NDWC wrote: »
    I'd consider myself fairly tech savvy and up to date but I've never in my life heard of Eleven sports, are they well known?

I'd much rather see it on BBC again even though from memory the coverage last year was just thrown together at the last minute and they had nobody at the course etc

Last year's PGA clashed with a major Athletics event in London, so coverage suffered on their main channels. It was available no problem on their satellite channels.

Another issue with this is can it be recorded.

Sometimes I like to record the play and watch it in the morning as play can often run well past midnight,will that option be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

NDWC wrote: »

Me too. I hate watching tv on a tablet/phone, unless I'm travelling. And Eleven?????? Never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

What Irish Players have qualified for the US PGA this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Shane Lowry.
    Paul Dunne.
    Padraig Harrington.
    Rory McIlroy.

Thats it i think

Advertisement