Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/conor-mcgregor-is-everything-we-teach-our-sons-not-to-be-1.3174659

Conor McGregor is everything we teach our sons not to be
    Patrick Logue: Dubliner’s onstage antics give voice to racist and misogynistic ideas

A bit OTT, but I agree with parts of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

zzz another clickbait bollox column from some nobody with racebaiting, dont click it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It's not a hotel she needs.

Ah I know it's counselling and psychiatry needed but from personal experience even the offer of help from people can have a massively positive effect.
    snowflaker wrote: »

Dedicated, hard-working, single-minded, family oriented, loyal, humble in victory or defeat, rich, proud of his money, successful, charitable, and a proven winner.

He's right, he's nothing like we teach kids to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

McGregor v Mayweather - Coach Roddy Camp Vlog 1.0 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h12kFW2Nm-Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Ah I know it's counselling and psychiatry needed but from personal experience even the offer of help from people can have a massively positive effect.

Dedicated, hard-working, single-minded, family oriented, loyal, humble in victory or defeat, rich, proud of his money, successful, charitable, and a proven winner.

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Ah I know it's counselling and psychiatry needed but from personal experience, even the offer of help from people can have a massively positive effect.

Dedicated, hard-working, single-minded, family oriented, loyal, humble in victory or defeat???, rich, proud of his money???, successful, charitable, and a proven winner.

Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

lTs4wkb.png

b1Pctlh.png

funny how it's all your perspective on whether something offends or not

Hmmmm

I'll tell you what he could have said to Ariel after Nate choked him out...

1. Will ya ever fcuk off Ariel I'm not doing an interview!

2. training camp didn't go too well, I had a serious staph infection and it was touch-and-go if I'd even make it to the fight and I felt that didn't help.

Instead he stopped to talk, gave respect to Nate, blamed himself for the defeat, vowed to make adjustments and come back better.

When he beat Nate, similar story:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'd play top dollar to see this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tiernan said in his article that Paulie was staying with them though and so hard make sense of all this madness.

It's fairly easy to make sense of it. Paulie got banged up and is absolutley raging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/conor-mcgregor-is-everything-we-teach-our-sons-not-to-be-1.3174659

Patrick Logue: Dubliner’s onstage antics give voice to racist and misogynistic ideas

A bit OTT, but I agree with parts of it.

Is he the guy who left his wife and ran off with a young wan......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

sonofenoch wrote: »

I really, really hope that's not a Tom Humphries reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Hmmmm

Have you ever seen his interviews straight after fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

You'd be really really wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

what age are ya?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

sonofenoch wrote: »

I'll tell you who wrote it bill, it wasn't rod liddle

Not much new here from Brendan but reiterates Conor will win at least 2 of the first 6 rounds and if there is a KO it'll come from Conor inside 5.

Saw the "crackhouse" Paulie claims they were staying in.

To be fair, he has a point if it's the actual house. It's not as bad as he's making out in the sense it has 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and is 2,900 square feet but it looks to me more like the perfect J1 type gaf you'd put a load of students up in for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You mean the house shown 4 minutes into this vid?

I see Gerry Byrne on Instagram insinuated that Audie has banned him or Yogurty (perhaps both of them) from posting any more photos of sparring.

It was a tongue in cheek post but I imagine there is a nugget of truth in it all and so perhaps Conor didn't okay it at all.

Actually, it makes sense that he didn't, as Paulie said that when the image was posted, Conor was working in the UFC gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wheeling out his ko percentages non stop is very weird, hes not fighting errol spence or some ko artist in 3 weeks fyi, hes fighting an orthodox counter striker that has a similarish style to Malignaggi.

thats the point exactly

why would you even bother posting as picture of knocking down malinaggi
    why would you bother asking him to spar
    because he said you couldnt box and wouldnt win
    thats just plain childish

my point is conor is very cute, he fighting mayweather who was one very good fighter but no where near the best ever by a long shot

but still far too good for conor, if conor was serious about fighting at mayweathers level he should be using good young live sparring partners
    who may bring him a bit nearer the level of a world class boxer
    but he has no one of that calibre in his sparring team

why would you bother with some one like mallinaggi
    a guy who could not knock the skin of custard
    thats not a spar thats a joke if you are serious about boxing
    and beating mayweather, but he doesnt care anyway

i dont write this because i like mayweather he is as cute as floyd
    in his matchmaking but in terms of world class boxing he has beaten men who
    would spark conor in one round

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Floyd's KO stats over the last 10 years is only about 16% also.

please, this is the type of nonsense thats being spewed
    i suggest you check things before you post
    you will find it s 53%

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

would be a bit better but he has lost 5 of his last 9 fights
    he not exactly looking for the toughest spars is he
    but the problem is a lot of live fighters would knock him down in
    sparring because they know the publicly they could get by doing that
    would be worth it weight in gold, so he has to watch,
    can you imagine of he was knocked cold in a sparring session before the fight
    how it would affect the whole event

The way people are going on you'd swear Paulie was a fat bastard who had been sitting on a bar stool for a decade or more. Paulie fouht for the WBC International welterweight title in March. Not the most prestigious belt, perhaps, but a professional boxing bout nonetheless and his conditioning is just fine. Should have been enough to school an mma guy in the sweet science at least.

pauliesparring88.jpg

i know exactly what paulie is like
    you think the WBC international belt is worth something
    how did he get on in that last fight by the way
    most guys brought over for these daft belts are
    brought over to lose, or they would be brought over
    learn a bit about the game

section4 wrote: »
    i know exactly what paulie is like

Then why did you say he would be lucky to last a round in the shape he is in? Clearly he is no near as bad as shape as you are trying to make out.
    you think the WBC international belt is worth something

Did you miss:
    Not the most prestigious belt, perhaps, but a professional boxing bout nonetheless.......

You mean the house shown 4 minutes into this vid?

Yeah that's the house. Interior doesn't look great, I had a look at the house listing.

It's listed for sale at $225,000 and/or $1,350 per month rental.

It'd be absolutely perfect for "normal people" to live in or spend a summer in i.e. students, but I suppose if you're making $100 million for a fight you should probably put sparring partners up in a decent enough gaf.

Excellent article from Tiernan. He really nails it with this.................
    The truth about what happened between Paulie Malignaggi and Conor McGregor

SORRY, Floyd who? Is there a big fight coming up involving some guy called Mayweather? Because for the past week it has been all about Paulie Malignaggi, Conor McGregor and that spar.

Any time I’ve logged on to social media, it’s been ‘Paulie say this’ or ‘Paulie says that’ – we all know Paulie can talk, but even he must be exhausted after doing so many interviews.

It’s almost a week since he left the training camp, and it was a shame to see him go. Although he was only really about for a week-and-a-half, Paulie was a good guy to have around the place.

But, having been here the whole time, some of the things he has come out with in the last seven days have taken me by surprise.
    “I didn't like the fact I had to fly across the country on Monday, and they have me scheduled for 12 rounds on Tuesday. I thought it was a little bit of a set-up”

Paulie had been in New York working on the Adrien Broner-Mikey Garcia fight for Showtime.

He arrived back with us on Monday evening and sparred on Tuesday, but I’m not really sure why he made such a deal about that. New York to Las Vegas is a five or six hour flight.

At the start of camp Dashon Johnston, one of the other sparring partners, flew from California to Dublin on the Sunday through Monday, and sparred on the Tuesday.

Conor did a four-city press tour that started in New York then moved on to Los Angeles, Toronto and London. The whole thing went on for a week straight, flying here, there and everywhere.

He was back in Vegas on the Sunday morning and sparred on the Monday with Dashon. I don’t really see the issue - is Paulie saying he could’ve been sharper?
    “I pretty much talked **** that whole sparring session while I beat the brakes off him... The UFC PI has cameras all over the gym recording 24/7. The video exists UNEDITED of rounds one through 12 – let the fans see”

I did Paulie’s corner for the spar, their second after a feisty first encounter, and I can safely say it will be very interesting when the video comes out after the fight.

When you’re in sparring, sometimes you think you’re doing better than you are, but watching back afterwards can reveal the true nature of the spar. I’ve experienced that myself, you start to notice little things you did wrong, or maybe punches landed that you don’t remember.

Paulie came out smack talking from the start, he was saying ‘wipe that smirk off your face’ because Conor was smiling at him, that kind of thing.

Conor stayed very professional; Paulie was saying stuff and then getting hit. Conor chose his moments to talk back. There are tactics to mental warfare too, knowing when to talk, and then there’s stupidity.

It wasn’t a one-sided spar either way but I thought one was the clear winner overall and that was Conor. He was very calm, very professional and, honestly, he really impressed me on the day.

That’s just my opinion, people can make up their own minds when they see the video. Paulie has done plenty of talking, but he could be talking himself into a hole when the footage comes out after the Mayweather fight.
    “It’s not nice to paint a picture that isn’t true, this was a pushdown in sparring, post the whole video rounds one through 12 UNEDITED”

This picture, posted on Conor’s Instagram last Thursday, was the tipping point for Paulie.

We came home from the spar on the Tuesday night/early hours of Wednesday morning and we all went to bed.

On the Thursday, we were getting changed after training at the UFC performance institute and that’s when Paulie saw the photo for the first time. He was clearly pissed off, showing us his phone, saying ‘what the f**k?’ or whatever.

It was weird though because after that Conor came into the changing room but Paulie didn’t mention it, even though they did speak.

We were in the car home from training to get food and Paulie was like ‘drop me back to the house’. You could see he was hanging his head, thinking about things. He was in a bad mood.

We left him to the house and when we came back he was gone – we were only away about 45 minutes. He must’ve been straight in, suitcase packed, out the door.

When you join a Conor McGregor camp, you know pictures are going to be released every day. Sometimes they might not be the most flattering.

The first one they put up of me was a right uppercut landing on my jaw. As soon as the shot landed, I remember thinking ‘that’s going to be on Facebook or Instagram’.

But I took it in my stride – at least I knew I could take a punch.

Paulie’s at a different stage in his career than me. I’m only starting out, he’s a two-weight world champion who has featured in some huge fights.

Obviously he saw that picture and his pride was dented. I can understand that, but at the same time he was on TV doing interviews the week before, talking about Conor’s power being overblown and all this stuff.

He was talking to Mayweather’s guys, talking to pro boxers and doing interviews – what did he think was going to happen? Did he expect to just come in here and talk ****?

As for the ‘knockdown’ itself, you can make your own mind up when the footage is eventually released, if anybody even cares by that stage.

I’ve seen people say that, from the photo, you can tell that it was a push down by the body language of Joe Cortez. I can tell you now – Joe didn’t see the incident that led to Paulie being on the ground. He didn’t see it.

At the end of the day it was a spar, so what is he going to do - give him a count?

Anyway, that was last week, now we’re into a new phase three weeks out from the Mayweather fight.

The attitude of Conor, the coaches and rest of the team to Paulie walking out has been straightforward - **** happens, life moves on.

This camp is not about Paulie. When we’re in the gym, we’re concentrating on Conor, getting him ready. I did some school sparring with him on the Thursday, the day Paulie left and it was as if nothing had happened.

This is not the Big Brother house. It’s a training camp, and that’s all anybody left here cares about.

Then why did you say he would be lucky to last a round in the shape he is in? Clearly he is no near as bad as shape as you are trying to make out.
    if conor was as good he think or says he is shouldnt last a round

Did you miss:

that belt means nothing, absolutely nothing, created by people like hearn to kid people on that british fighters were fighting at top world class level
    when in fact they were fighting guys who were has beens, never has beens and brought over to lose.

section4 wrote: »
    that belt means nothing, absolutely nothing, created by people like hearn to kid people on that british fighters were fighting at top world class level
    when in fact they were fighting guys who were has beens, never has beens and brought over to lose.

Again..........................
    Not the most prestigious belt, perhaps, but a professional boxing bout nonetheless.......

Ok wow...

Floyd says:

Conor called us monkeys, Martin Luther King and Malcolm X were on the front lines but August 26th Conor is going to pay (for his racism), I'm fighting for all the blacks around the world.

Also says there'll be no defensive fighting he's going after Conor and he owes that to the fans who were let down by the Pacquiao fight.

• Advertisement

Lomachenko followed John on twitter and he followed him back... which obviously means they can DM each other now.

Just thought I'd share that information as opposed to doing anything constructive at 430am like sleeping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement