Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

$

This is what hes an expert it, not big massive body shots like Hatton was famed for, but they hit the spot none the less from all angles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Video was grand, the rhyming made me laugh and had a good bit of effort put into writing it :)

Was watching Mayweather v Maidana earlier. I really do think Conor will land. I really don't think he has the cardio.

On Promotional Malpractice, Luke Thomas was saying that there's a theory that Conor is not thick enough in the midsection to sustain body shots. It's a worry, Floyd had some mean body shots vs Maidana.

I wonder if all the extra effort Conor is putting into improving Cardio will be negated by body shots.

Mayweathers most underrated punch, and one of the most underrated punches in the sport of boxing is his jab to the pit of the stomach. It looks like a tap, but if you look closely in every fight he uses it to cause serious damage to everyones gameplan. It sucks the stamina out of every single fighter bit by bit round by round, not to mention how it makes fighters start to drop their hands leaving openings up top.

Of course in this fight, he will be using his right hand instead of his left because he's up against the southpaw stance. The Guerrero fight is the best fight to see how he uses it against a southpaw.

And strangely enough.....i think this is the punch that McGregor is going to try and counter with his left uppercut.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

.ak wrote: »
    Gintonious wrote: »

A pretty level headed perspective from Stitch.

"Yeah, I wouldn't teach him how to box. He isn't going to learn how to box is 7-8 weeks... He's just gotta keep doing what he's doing, working on what he has, and keep moving your head brother."

That's exactly the correct logic. You ain't gonna rewrite the symphony now, just play to your strengths and see what happens.

Paulie was never going to teach him anything. Naive of him to think otherwise.

Yes but equally he said it was dumb not to bring in a boxing coach, more from a knowledge point of view. I think this would have been good from an ideas point of view alone. But there could have been issues with egos, the best way of doing things,....etc
    Also might have had a plan already and didn't think a boxing coach could add to it and/or they already have boxing expertise in there.

As I said when announced, If Manny Stewart came back from the grave it wouldnt increase his chances imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Nevada State Athletic Commission confirms they have received a waiver request from Floyd Mayweather to wear 8oz gloves and they expect Conor's waiver paperwork through later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

gilmour wrote: »
    Mayweathers most underrated punch, and one of the most underrated punches in the sport of boxing is his jab to the pit of the stomach.

True.... and more likely to used now since Paulie's ranting about McGregor being unable to take body shots.

But of course Paulie won't say anything negative about Conor until fight night... that would be unethical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

True.... and more likely to used now since Paulie's ranting about McGregor being unable to take body shots.

But of course Paulie won't say anything negative about Conor until fight night... that would be unethical.

Floyd was going to use it regardless, i can't remember a fight when he didnt use it

Floyd was going to use it regardless, i can't remember a fight when he didnt use it

Obviously...... which is why I said it was 'more' likely rather than just 'likely'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Video was grand, the rhyming made me laugh and had a good bit of effort put into writing it :)

Was watching Mayweather v Maidana earlier. I really do think Conor will land. I really don't think he has the cardio.

On Promotional Malpractice, Luke Thomas was saying that there's a theory that Conor is not thick enough in the midsection to sustain body shots. It's a worry, Floyd had some mean body shots vs Maidana.

I wonder if all the extra effort Conor is putting into improving Cardio will be negated by body shots.

Virgil Hunter said the same thing about the body

• Advertisement

Wonder is Floyd using an iv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

None of you ****ers ever sleep? :pac:

We're trying to adapt to Vegas time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

without wanting to drag the race thing up again, wonder how many of those claiming 'SJW' 'snowflake' rubbish are black. Telling them they need to pipe down eh, stay in your lane boy - with complete misunderstanding of what racism and its many forms is.

You sound like Gareth Keenan "If anything, its a compliment"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any chance of a poll Axwell?

Interesting.

Kevin Lee:

"I have absolutely no doubt in my mind if Floyd underestimates Conor that Conor will knock him out. I've been a bit worried that Floyd hasn't really sparred any MMA guys so far, simply because we move different and he's just getting normal boxing looks in the gym. It's like in baseball, you get guys throwing 90mph fast balls and then you get a goofy dude comes to the plate and throws a little underarm softball and it can still strike a guy out because he's expecting something different".

Now just to clarify this for our boxing forum friends, Kevin Lee is a fighter in Conor's weight class in the UFC and has sparred against Floyd a number of times in the last few years and trains out of Mayweathers gym. He's about as well placed as possible to give an informed opinion.

To clarify further, he says if Floyd doesn't underestimate him and takes it seriously, that Floyd will school and hurt Conor the longer the fight goes.

Snoop (Dogg) interviewed Floyd and is interviewing Conor tonight (apparently), not sure where both interviews are airing there's some bits on youtube but I presume he's doing it for the UFC end of things.

Not sure when Snoop became an expert on combat sports but there ya go anyway.

Interesting.

Kevin Lee:

"I have absolutely no doubt in my mind if Floyd underestimates Conor that Conor will knock him out. I've been a bit worried that Floyd hasn't really sparred any MMA guys so far, simply because we move different and he's just getting normal boxing looks in the gym. It's like in baseball, you get guys throwing 90mph fast balls and then you get a goofy dude comes to the plate and throws a little underarm softball and it can still strike a guy out because he's expecting something different".

Now just to clarify this for our boxing forum friends, Kevin Lee is a fighter in Conor's weight class in the UFC and has sparred against Floyd a number of times in the last few years and trains out of Mayweathers gym. He's about as well placed as possible to give an informed opinion.

To clarify further, he says if Floyd doesn't underestimate him and takes it seriously, that Floyd will school and hurt Conor the longer the fight goes.

That's right, watched the interview earlier (included below) but he also says a few minutes afterwards that he can't wait for the odds to get a little better on Mayweather as he's gonna bet the house on him.

Can't see it being granted.... but both sides at least appear to be going ahead with their requests for the fight to be contested with 8-ounce gloves.

Mayweather-McGregor: NSAC to Vote on Requests for 8-Ounce Gloves

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor might fight in eight-ounce gloves after all.

Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett told Sky Sports that the NSAC will vote on the request for Mayweather and McGregor to fight with eight-ounce gloves at its next meeting, set for August 16 in Las Vegas.

The 12-round boxing match between the boxing legend and the UFC superstar, scheduled for August 26 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, will be contested at the junior middleweight limit of 154 pounds, which usually requires boxers to wear 10-ounce gloves.

In accordance with Association of Boxing Commissions rules, fighters in any bout contested at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds and below are supposed to wear eight-ounce gloves. Boxers in fights contested above 147 pounds are supposed to wear 10-ounce gloves.

Bennett told Sky Sports that there are exceptions and that the NSAC will vote on the issue next week.

“Mayweather’s team has, and McGregor’s team [is] in the process [of submitting a request],” Bennett told Sky Sports. “It will be heard at the commission’s next meeting.”

McGregor (21-3, 18 KOs in MMA) has criticized the heavily favored Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) for demanding that they fight in 10-ounce gloves, which is considered a disadvantage for a powerful puncher like McGregor. Mayweather has since said he is willing to fight in eight-ounce gloves and his team filed a commensurate request with the NSAC on his behalf.

“They come before the commission [and] each party can discuss their reasoning,” Bennett explained. “The chairman and commissioners openly discuss the request and vote on it. Our regulations require 10-ounce gloves, but I won’t say that there’s no negotiations.

“The promoters have a legal opportunity to submit a waiver, then appear before our commission to articulate why they think we should make an exception to our regulations. This is an anomaly. I haven’t experienced this in over three years on the job. I checked with the previous executive director, Hall-of-Famer Marc Ratner, and our program officer, who has been here for 30 years. To the best of their recollection, we have never had a request like this.”

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Why would Mayweather do this? Mess with Conor's head? Why would Conor agree to it?

• Advertisement

Schaub let slip in his podcast that Dana White said McGregor "picked apart" Paulie in those '12 rounds'.

Paulie also now says he may have tripped over McGregor's feet.

Man I hope they release that sparring tape someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dana White said

Don't believe his lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Mayweathers most underrated punch, and one of the most underrated punches in the sport of boxing is his jab to the pit of the stomach. It looks like a tap, but if you look closely in every fight he uses it to cause serious damage to everyones gameplan. It sucks the stamina out of every single fighter bit by bit round by round, not to mention how it makes fighters start to drop their hands leaving openings up top.

Of course in this fight, he will be using his right hand instead of his left because he's up against the southpaw stance. The Guerrero fight is the best fight to see how he uses it against a southpaw.

And strangely enough.....i think this is the punch that McGregor is going to try and counter with his left uppercut.

The one thing I notice in all of those body shots is how the opposing fighter reacts by trying to back step or tilt the hips away from Mayweather, while Mayweather jumps in leaving his head very exposed. Does anyone think McGregor might be more inclined to stand his ground and time Mayweather coming in and hit him with a counter punch? Especially if we are lead to believe McGregor will be standing outside the range a normal boxer would be used to. It means Mayweather has further distance to cover, giving McGregor that extra split second to time the counter.

I can't help thinking of the Aldo KO when I watch this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Schaub let slip in his podcast that Dana White said McGregor "picked apart" Paulie in those '12 rounds'.

Paulie also now says he may have tripped over McGregor's feet.

Man I hope they release that sparring tape someday.

Doesn't Dana hate Schuab?

"Did Paulie get his ass whooped? That's not true"

He says he gave him trouble for some rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

"Did Paulie get his ass whooped? That's not true"

He says he gave him trouble for some rounds.

Why do either of these idiots not know that Paulie fought this year. They both agree that he hadn't fought in years! Callen must do absolutely zero research when he goes talking about this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Not sure when Snoop became an expert on combat sports but there ya go anyway.

He's entertaining and funny.

Doesn't Dana hate Schuab?

Bryan Callen is as subtle as a sledgehammer. Dana obviously texted Joe (Rogan) saying Conor demolished Paulie in sparring while Bryan was beside Joe. All I'll say to that is Dana has no reason to blow smoke up Rogan's ass in a private text message so he obviously felt like Conor was looking really sharp in that session.

It means almost nothing when it comes to Floyd though. A peak Malignaggi would lose 117-111 to Floyd at best and that's if Floyd coasted in the early rounds, so even if all of that is true it'll mean nothing.

What is relevant is the people who were saying Conor wouldn't land a punch on any elite boxer, retired or otherwise, simply don't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

I can't help but think that if McGregor does come back to MMA after the Mayweather bout, he will be a handful for a lot of contenders in the UFC with his focus now solely on boxing. It will be interesting to see how his striking will have developed from this camp.

• Advertisement

Bryan Callen is as subtle as a sledgehammer. Dana obviously texted Joe (Rogan) saying Conor demolished Paulie in sparring while Bryan was beside Joe. All I'll say to that is Dana has no reason to blow smoke up Rogan's ass in a private text message so he obviously felt like Conor was looking really sharp in that session.

It means almost nothing when it comes to Floyd though. A peak Malignaggi would lose 117-111 to Floyd at best and that's if Floyd coasted in the early rounds, so even if all of that is true it'll mean nothing.

What is relevant is the people who were saying Conor wouldn't land a punch on any elite boxer, retired or otherwise, simply don't know what they're talking about.

Oh, I must have missed where he said that Dana text him. Or did he actually say that?

Genuinely dont know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement