Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Effects wrote: »
    He's entertaining and funny.

He's neither. You know what they say about opinions and assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not much traction here regarding the post from Pete about the potential change of gloves.

Is that because most here won't think that change will happen, or that if it does, it won't affect the fight?

Personally, I can see the odds in bookies changing slightly to McGregor if it does change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Did you just call yourself an asshole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

Careful now, he's black & all that...

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Did you just call yourself an asshole?

You're obviously not familiar with the expression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

You're obviously not familiar with the expression.

I'm familiar with it, I've always understood the term asshole to have a double meaning.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I'm familiar with it, I've always understood the term asshole to have a double meaning.

To spell it out clearly, I did not call myself an asshole.

However, that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions and assholes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

everlast75 wrote: »
    Not much traction here regarding the post from Pete about the potential change of gloves.

Is that because most here won't think that change will happen, or that if it does, it won't affect the fight?

Personally, I can see the odds in bookies changing slightly to McGregor if it does change

The timing of the waiver request is interesting in the sense he has only put the wheels in motion after Conor has been working with Joe Cortez and Paulie Malignaggi...

I don't think it'll make any difference come fight night though; if Conor lands his best punch clean, it would hurt any man at 147/154lbs in any size gloves 8oz/10oz.

Where it might make a difference is if people are right and Floyd is embarrassing Conor, then the cumulative damage inflicted by 8oz gloves would be more problematic than 10oz gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I guess this is less to do with Floyd's assertion that he's giving the fans what they want (when did he ever seek to do that?) and more a case of him reminding all parties concerned that he's the A-side and can dictate terms as he sees fit. He obviously see's an advantage in calling for the change; he'd never in a million years make any kind of concession in the interests of entertainment. Perhaps his reasoning is:

With 8's, there's obviously less real estate to establish guard. If he feels he can hit at will, he might be thinking let's do it with 8's and maybe get Conor out of there sooner rather than later.

Also, consider that Conor has had a ref, a ring, and basically sought to replicate fight conditions as best as he possibly can prior to fight night. Floyd making changes dicks with this, however inconsequential or not this may turn out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Watched the Mayweather interview with ESPN's Stephen A Smith. For me it was Floyd talking himself down, and talking Conor up to sell the fight. The more people he can convince that Conor has a chance, the more money he will make.

I don't believe that Floyd believes a word of what he is saying. It's purely for promotion and nothing else.

Floyd is also guilty of race batting, Pushing the Conor is a racist narrative, again to further promote the fight and sell more PPV buys.

• Advertisement

Odd statement to make, but at this point in time it arguable to say Conor vs Paulie would outsell vs Khabib/ Woodley/ Tony. As to whether it has legs or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

McGregor going on about his upbringing, like Crumlin is the equivalent of down town Compton, is laughable.

He is peddling lies about Dublin to add to the narrative of a tough upbringing. American's have no idea that he is full of shyt and they eat it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

McGregor going on about his upbringing, like Crumlin is the equivalent of down town Compton, is laughable.

He is peddling lies about Dublin to add to the narrative of a tough upbringing. American's have no idea that he is full of shyt and they eat it up.

Not from Dublin but there are junkies everywhere. Disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Chael Sonnen made a good point, on the off chance Conor knocked Floyd down the boxing ref would make it the longest 10 second count of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Gamebred wrote: »
    Chael Sonnen made a good point, on the off chance Conor knocked Floyd down the boxing ref would make it the longest 10 second count of all time.

Its not WWE . If he knocks him down it will be a normal 10 count

Its not WWE . If he knocks him down it will be a normal 10 count

Boxing is the dirtiest sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Straight outta Crumlin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Interesting.

Kevin Lee:

"I have absolutely no doubt in my mind if Floyd underestimates Conor that Conor will knock him out.

Or to put it simpler and more accurately: ""I have absolutely no doubt in my mind if Floyd stands still, sticks his chin out and allows Conor a free clean shot, Conor might knock him out."

Not from Dublin...

Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

What's laughable is the outrage-party people are having over the depiction of Crumlin.

In the last few years, you're statistically safer living in Compton than living in Crumlin. Compton has a population of 98,000 people and in 2015 there were 15 murders in Compton, 13 being shootings and 2 hit-and-runs. 14 of those murders were gang-related.

Crumlin's population is *roughly* 1/5th of Compton's (19,000) yet in 2016 there were the same number (15) of gangland murders - all shootings, with the majority of the victims tied to the Crumlin/Drimnagh area.

Half a dozen guys Conor was friends with in school growing up or in the boxing gym are dead as a dodo from bullets to the head, no idea how many more are dead from drugs. I highly doubt any of them set out to be dead before 40 when they were in 5th class but they all got sucked into gangs and criminality.

There's very few families in Crumlin who haven't been touched in some capacity by the drugs and gang-feuds. Plenty of families are without loved ones - sons, grandsons, nephews, cousins. Most people knew someone who was shot.

It's easy to take the piss out of Wright Thompson for how he wrote that piece but the reality of the matter is Crumlin and Drimnagh are no different to Compton in the sense that *most* of the people who live there live bog-standard ordinary lives in relative comfort, but for some it is a very dangerous place.

Bunch of constantly-outraged-whining that's all this is. We moan when they depict us as paddywhackery Michael Flatley types and we moan when they depict us as gritty Love-Hate types.

The reality is if you avoid drugs and gangs, you're pretty safe in most Irish and American cities but if you get sucked into that world, everywhere becomes dangerous.

• Advertisement

In the last few years, you're statistically safer living in Compton than living in Crumlin. Compton has a population of 98,000 people and in 2015 there were 15 murders in Compton, 13 being shootings and 2 hit-and-runs. 14 of those murders were gang-related.

Crumlin's population is *roughly* 1/5th of Compton's (19,000) yet in 2016 there were the same number (15) of gangland murders - all shootings, with the majority of the victims tied to the Crumlin/Drimnagh area.

Not that I give a ****e (the article was a joke) but you're claiming some sort of logical calculation here when you are comparing apples and pears.

15 murders in Compton. In. As in physically took place in the city.

15 murders, the majority "tied to" the Crumlin/Drimnagh area.

I have no idea whether one is more dangerous than the other, but you're not comparing like with like in the slightest.

Besides "let's compare it with Compton" is a flawed paradigm in the first place. The article effectively portrays large areas of Dublin as unsafe if you so much as step outside your front door, which is complete nonsense.

Not that I give a ****e (the article was a joke) but you're claiming some sort of logical calculation here when you are comparing apples and pears.

15 murders in Compton. In. As in physically took place in the city.

15 murders, the majority "tied to" the Crumlin/Drimnagh area.

I have no idea whether one is more dangerous than the other, but you're not comparing like with like in the slightest.

Besides "let's compare it with Compton" is a flawed paradigm in the first place. The article effectively portrays large areas of Dublin as unsafe if you so much as step outside your front door, which is complete nonsense.
    Junkie zombies everywhere. I had my phone robbed out of my hand in Grafton Street.

Dangerous place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Junkie zombies everywhere. I had my phone robbed out of my hand in Grafton Street.

Dangerous place

So you agree with article then??

John_D80 wrote: »
    So you agree with article then??

Haven't read it but from my experience Dublin is a disgusting and dangerous place. Full of liars too who say you interview brilliant but then don't get the job. Terrible liars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

15 murders in Crumlim. Or 15 murders in Ireland with suspected connections to crumlim-drimagh feuds. The US tends to be very precise with stats, unlike the Sunday World say.

Also, can't help but notice you cherry picked different years for each place. What happens if you crumlim in 2015 and Compton in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Haven't read it but from my experience Dublin is a disgusting and dangerous place. Full of liars too who say you interview brilliant but then don't get the job. Terrible liars.

Wait so you are disputing someone else's opinion of it when you haven't even read it??

And you must have been interviewed by a LOT of Dubs to feel comfortable making such a sweeping generalisation like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Enough warnings - take a break till after the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    15 murders in Crumlim. Or 15 murders in Ireland with suspected connections to crumlim-drimagh feuds. The US tends to be very precise with stats, unlike the Sunday World say.

Also, can't help but notice you cherry picked different years for each place. What happens if you crumlim in 2015 and Compton in 2016?

He's also ignoring that Compton has had a gang truce since 2014 and the murder rate has fallen year on year since the early 2000s.

He picked the differing years because in 2016 Compton has a spike in gang violence in the early part of the year and in 2016 Crumlin based low life's had a busy year.

How many shootings where there in Crumlin when Conor actually lived there before 2005? How many year on year from the late 80s when he was born until they moved when he was 16?

How many where there in Compton in the same period?

Conor grew up in a safe working class area of Dublin 12 that continues to be a safe working class area of Dublin 12, Wright Thompson doesn't have a clue what he's writing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

What's laughable is the outrage-party people are having over the depiction of Crumlin.

Half a dozen guys Conor was friends with in school growing up or in the boxing gym are dead as a dodo from bullets to the head, no idea how many more are dead from drugs. I highly doubt any of them set out to be dead before 40 when they were in 5th class but they all got sucked into gangs and criminality.

There's very few families in Crumlin who haven't been touched in some capacity by the drugs and gang-feuds. Plenty of families are without loved ones - sons, grandsons, nephews, cousins. Most people knew someone who was shot.

It's easy to take the piss out of Wright Thompson for how he wrote that piece but the reality of the matter is Crumlin and Drimnagh are no different to Compton in the sense that *most* of the people who live there live bog-standard ordinary lives in relative comfort, but for some it is a very dangerous place.

Bunch of constantly-outraged-whining that's all this is. We moan when they depict us as paddywhackery Michael Flatley types and we moan when they depict us as gritty Love-Hate types.

The reality is if you avoid drugs and gangs, you're pretty safe in most Irish and American cities but if you get sucked into that world, everywhere becomes dangerous.

That is a huge huge misrepresentation of statistics there. From what I can see from a brief scan of a couple of articles, there were 15 Irish gangland killings in 2016. Nine of these have been attributed to the Gangland feud linked to some figures from Crumlin. Those 9 killings took place in Drumcondra (1), Dublin 1 (4), Rathoath (1), Clondalkin (1), Bridgefoot Steet (1) and Magaluf (1).

The number of gangland killings that took place IN Crumlin was zero, yet you phrase your post as if there were 15 killings in Crumlin, as there were in Compton. You are most certainly not "statistically safer" living in Compton. To try and represent the two places as being similar in their profile is either dishonest or just hugely ignorant of the reality of the vast socio-economic differences between the two places.

• Advertisement

Lads, bad things happen, but Dublin - like most other places in the civilised world -is inherently safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement