Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads keep it on topic, we are only 2 weeks out from the fight so dont find yourself getting banned for making silly comments at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lads, bad things happen, but Dublin - like most other places in the civilised world -is inherently safe.

It's one of the safest cities on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Conor grew up in a safe working class area of Dublin 12 that continues to be a safe working class area of Dublin 12, NT Wright doesn't have a clue what he's writing about.

That is the crux of it.

Working class area with its social problems? Absolutely. A terrifying urban environment where everyone is in fear of their life? Not in the slightest.

I think you took the "Crumlin the equivalent of downtown Compton" comment a bit literally, Wonder.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Any chance of a poll Axwell?

I will setup an event thread closer to the event with a poll on it - I don't want all the nonsense that gets discussed in here flooding over to it. Its purely to be an event thread.

Axwell wrote: »
    I will setup an event thread closer to the event with a poll on it - I don't want all the nonsense that gets discussed in here flooding over to it. Its purely to be an event thread.

Good luck with that one...! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Enough warnings - take a break till after the fight

Cue a re-reg in 5, 4, 3, 2...........

Good luck with that one...! :)

It will be a simple approach - warning in the first thread and people either follow it or get banned.

"Banned or Learn" im thinking of calling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

It will be a simple approach - warning in the first thread and people either follow it or get banned.

"Banned or Learn" im thinking of calling it.

Neither of your two comods have posted in high on three months, you're running this show singlehandedly. Time to draft in more mods before is fight, lest your hair goes full Dana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What's laughable is the outrage-party people are having over the depiction of Crumlin.

In the last few years, you're statistically safer living in Compton than living in Crumlin. Compton has a population of 98,000 people and in 2015 there were 15 murders in Compton, 13 being shootings and 2 hit-and-runs. 14 of those murders were gang-related.

Crumlin's population is *roughly* 1/5th of Compton's (19,000) yet in 2016 there were the same number (15) of gangland murders - all shootings, with the majority of the victims tied to the Crumlin/Drimnagh area.

Half a dozen guys Conor was friends with in school growing up or in the boxing gym are dead as a dodo from bullets to the head, no idea how many more are dead from drugs. I highly doubt any of them set out to be dead before 40 when they were in 5th class but they all got sucked into gangs and criminality.

There's very few families in Crumlin who haven't been touched in some capacity by the drugs and gang-feuds. Plenty of families are without loved ones - sons, grandsons, nephews, cousins. Most people knew someone who was shot.

It's easy to take the piss out of Wright Thompson for how he wrote that piece but the reality of the matter is Crumlin and Drimnagh are no different to Compton in the sense that *most* of the people who live there live bog-standard ordinary lives in relative comfort, but for some it is a very dangerous place.

Bunch of constantly-outraged-whining that's all this is. We moan when they depict us as paddywhackery Michael Flatley types and we moan when they depict us as gritty Love-Hate types.

The reality is if you avoid drugs and gangs, you're pretty safe in most Irish and American cities but if you get sucked into that world, everywhere becomes dangerous.

But Conor didn't grow up in Crumlin in 2016. He left in 2005 and there was nowhere near as much trouble as there is now. As far as I can tell from a quick google there was 1 gangland stabbing murder in 2001 and it didn't escalate then until 2005/6.

72 murdered in Compton in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think this whole background story is trying to position him in a "rags to riches" scenario like Floyds story.

And also to sell the fight.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Neither of your two comods have posted in high on three months, you're running this show singlehandedly. Time to draft in more mods before is fight, lest your hair goes full Dana.

When the events are on theres rarely any nonsense. Trolls dont tend to stay up till all hours actually watching the fights like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Mellor wrote: »
    15 murders in Crumlim. Or 15 murders in Ireland with suspected connections to crumlim-drimagh feuds. The US tends to be very precise with stats, unlike the Sunday World say.

Also, can't help but notice you cherry picked different years for each place. What happens if you crumlim in 2015 and Compton in 2016?

If you flip the years, it becomes closer proportionally to population size. 11 Crumlin-related murders 2015, 59 Compton-related murders 2016.

The stats I looked at weren't murders located in Compton or in Crumlin, they were people with Compton addresses murdered in Compton or greater L.A. and for Crumlin it was "Crumlin-Drimnagh related". The L.A. coroners reports are publicly accessible.

You're right it's not extremely precise, so ignore them...

Anyway my point, regardless of the statistics, is who are we to mock Conor if he wants to accentuate or exaggerate his upbringing? At the end of the day he was getting in enough trouble for his dad to move the whole family to Lucan to try get away from Crumlin, and John Kavanagh wrote in his book Conor was in with the wrong crowd.

He probably feels he was close to ending up like David Byrne or the others, if it hadn't been for a combination of his dad and meeting Tom Egan.

The article exaggerates how bad Crumlin is.

On the other hand it seems pretty obvious Conor hung around with a bad crowd (and maybe still does). So you can't argue with his personal experience of Crumlin... all you can do is say that it's not the typical experience. Most people don't know anybody who has been shot but Conor knows a whole bunch. I don't like the crowd he keeps personally, I think it casts a shadow over Conor and everybody affiliated with him (incl SBG and Kavanagh). The boxing community had the balls to ban MTK fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you flip the years, it becomes closer proportionally to population size. 11 Crumlin-related murders 2015, 59 Compton-related murders 2016.

The stats I looked at weren't murders located in Compton or in Crumlin, they were people with Compton addresses murdered in Compton or greater L.A. and for Crumlin it was "Crumlin-Drimnagh related". The L.A. coroners reports are publicly accessible.
    But the crumlim-related victims didn't all actually live in crumlin, nor were they killed there. So looking at them murders per 20,000 people in crumlin, is silly. It's more like Dublin-related murders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't know...I'd take my chances walking through Crumlin at night compared to downtown Compton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

When Ross Kemp does a show in Crumlin like he did in Compton, then ill be all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Crumlin isn't even that 'rough' tbh. I grew up in Inchicore and it's certainly nowhere near as rough as parts of Inchicore, Tallaght, Darndale, Coolock, Ballymun, Ballyfermot etc etc to name a few and it certainly wasn't when Conor lived there. Didn't his folks move out of there when he was in his early teens?

It's all bollox really

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Jesus, everyone knows it's bollocks. Everyone knows it's to further push the bloody fight.

Can we just forget about it?

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Jesus, everyone knows it's bollocks. Everyone knows it's to further push the bloody fight.

Can we just forget about it?

I tend to agree, but also feel lads are trying to push any pro McGregor angle they can (the hard knock life angle in this instance), even to the point of demonstrably talking bollocks.

• Advertisement

Floyd's media workout live at 10pm...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Who'd win in a street fight, Compton or Crumlin?

Sorry I'll get me coat :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As someone who grew up listening to NWA, it's bizarre reading so many posts about Compton on a Conor McGregor thread :)

Anyway, undercard announced. Who the **** are those guys!? Half serious, I know notting about boxing, are they any good or just guys from Floyd's gym?

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/895693521478340608

The Hooligan's take on it all.....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,471 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gervonta Davis, Nathan Cleverly and Badou Jack are all solid undercard names, happy enough with that but it's a shame it didn't come at the right time for Katie Taylor, that would have been massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As someone who grew up listening to NWA, it's bizarre reading so many posts about Compton on a Conor McGregor thread :)

Anyway, undercard announced. Who the **** are those guys!? Half serious, I know notting about boxing, are they any good or just guys from Floyd's gym?

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/895693521478340608

It's pretty good undercard, Gervontaa is a class act, or at least looks it so far, quick hands, clever and powerful, Fonseca is someone i've never seen fight but has a big enough rep too but couldn't vouch for him.

Badou Jack should beat Cleverley who's good at his own level but shouldn't be beating Jack in truth who's one of the best light heavyweights about(i'm guessing that's what they're fighting at?)

Tabiti is holding some Mickey mouse belt at Cruiserweight at the minute i think and should beat Cunningham who's been about for a longtime, has been a good enough fighter (few world title wins in his time) but is well on in his career now and was schooled last year by a Polish lad whos name escapes who was beaten in his next fight.

Cunningham?! Ffs, he's long since done.

Davis is a cracking, exciting fighter with a big future. Think Lomachenko would demolish him though if it ever happened.

Jack-Cleverly is a decent fight. Cleverly on the slide but Jack going up in weight might make it interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Floyd wants 8oz gloves cuz Floyd is the more powerful puncher. However I think it'll suit McGregor also as he'll be more accurate. 20% lighter for someone not used to wearing big mitts might be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

.ak wrote: »
    Floyd wants 8oz gloves cuz Floyd is the more powerful puncher. However I think it'll suit McGregor also as he'll be more accurate. 20% lighter for someone not used to wearing big mitts might be nice too.

I'm sure mcgregor is well used "big mitts" by now.

And do you really think Floyd is a more powerful puncher??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

One common thing that is coming out anytime this fight is mentioned is Connors speed being streets ahead of Floyd and in theory he will be, should be really when moving around the ring but when it comes to speed of hands and reactions I'd be happy to bet Mayweather will be quicker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement