Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd say Floyd generates at least as much force in his punch as Conor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The gove size favours Floyd but not because of the increase in power they give, which is minimal, they benefit him because the smaller surface area gives Conor less cover when he employs a high guard and allow Floyd to slip in shots from awkward angles and split the guard easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

16 days out and I'm finding it hard to budge from my position of Mayweather in 3/4 rounds. Looking forward to what looks like a decent undercard. Gervonta Davis, Shawn Porter, Badu Jack, Nathan Cleverly and Roman Martinez all involved.

.ak wrote:
    Floyd wants 8oz gloves cuz Floyd is the more powerful puncher. However I think it'll suit McGregor also as he'll be more accurate. 20% lighter for someone not used to wearing big mitts might be nice too.

I think the smaller gloves favour Mayweather. 8oz gloves will assist his hand speed and his power, yes he has power to hurt McGregor, but more importantly, savage actually and far superior hand speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd doesn't want 8-ounce gloves... it's all just show as he knows that should be beat Conor (and it's highly unlikely he'll lose, let's be honest) people will be saying that Conor is used to 4oz and he made him fight in 10oz cause he was afraid to fight in 8s............. going through this charade means that when that time comes he can say, "Well, I tried to get the fight contested with 8-ounce gloves but the Nevada commission wouldn't allow it".

It'll be the softest application (on the part of Mayweather at least) that the commission has ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Floyd doesn't want 8-ounce gloves... it's all just show as he knows that should be beat Conor (and it's highly unlikely he'll lose, let's be honest) people will be saying that Conor is used to 4oz and he made him fight in 10oz cause he was afraid to fight in 8s............. going through this charade means that when that time comes he can say, "Well, I tried to get the fight contested with 8-ounce gloves but the Nevada commission wouldn't allow it".

It'll be the softest application (on the part of Mayweather at least) that the commission has ever heard.

The only people saying that will be sad salty morons who idolise McGregor like a teenage girl does a boy band. And they will get rightly laughed at for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That feckin song by Mick Konstantine was on Sky Sports News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

That feckin song by Mick Konstantine was on Sky Sports News

It's embarrassing cringe.

That Don guy must be losing his mind as he was pimping his rap song about McGregor on Twitter 24/7 for months and nothing :P

It's embarrassing cringe.

It's not. It's gas, take it for what it is, a bit if craic

• Advertisement

Has a clip of the spar been released??

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/895685408981385216

.ak wrote:
    Floyd wants 8oz gloves cuz Floyd is the more powerful puncher. However I think it'll suit McGregor also as he'll be more accurate. 20% lighter for someone not used to wearing big mitts might be nice too.

I think the smaller gloves favour Mayweather. 8oz gloves will assist his hand speed and his power, yes he has power to hurt McGregor, but more importantly, savage actually and far superior hand speed.

It's not. It's gas, take it for what it is, a bit if craic

It's abslolute dirt designed to get the singer over. That's what it is.

Things had quietened down around Paulie in the last 24hrs so he needs to reignite

Was thinking maybe he was given a head's up on footage of the spar to be shown in tomorrow night's All Access maybe?

His head would explode if they included footage of them sparring where McGregor looked to be picking him apart.

Be funny though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

it wont be about who has the power
    it will be who can land that their power
    that the problem mc gregor going to have
    you dont have to have a lot of power if you can
    land consistently and floyd will

It's abslolute dirt designed to get the singer over. That's what it is.

See that's just miserable and begrudging, it's clearly made a lot of people laugh and smile including Conor by all accounts.
    Was thinking maybe he was given a head's up on footage of the spar to be shown in tomorrow night's All Access maybe?

His head would explode if they included footage of them sparring where McGregor looked to be picking him apart.

Be funny though :P

Paulie has always loved the sound of his own voice and is clinging on to this as much as he can

One common thing that is coming out anytime this fight is mentioned is Connors speed being streets ahead of Floyd and in theory he will be, should be really when moving around the ring but when it comes to speed of hands and reactions I'd be happy to bet Mayweather will be quicker.

Speed will not help McGregor because he has no idea how to use that quickness in boxing. It's not about volume of movement, it about economy of movement. Floyd's movements and reflexes are sharp as fck. His quick feat, head and body movement are all part of his defensive game. He can use his vast experience and ring craft to both create and close space whenever he wants.

If McGregor comes out running at Floyd, He's in for short night. Floyd has vicious short count left hook, straight right combo that cloud sleep McGregor.

See that's just miserable and begrudging, it's clearly made a lot of people laugh and smile including Conor by all accounts.

That's great, it made me cringe because it's Joe.ie bad. And it's nothing more than a farmer on the Late Late Show telling Gay Byrne how it's great to be there in the style of a poem.

If I think it sucks it's not my fault.

Come on to fcuk. Damn music sounds like an 80's video game loop.

• Advertisement

Come on to fcuk. Damn music sounds like an 80's video game loop.

It gets annoying very quickly alright

80's video game music is miles better than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

John_D80 wrote: »
    I'm sure mcgregor is well used "big mitts" by now.

And do you really think Floyd is a more powerful puncher??

I'd say so. It should be, he's a pro boxer all his life... he should know how to sit down on a punch and generate complete force thru it, he doesn't have to worry about anything else.

Conor puts people down with his accuracy. Don't think he's a power puncher. Floyd'a hook in particular looks nasty.

And we're off.............

My God this is garbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Striking wise boxing Conor's speed is bang average!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

walshb wrote: »

If even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What's all this? Is something airing?

walshb wrote: »
    If even.

2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The gove size favours Floyd but not because of the increase in power they give, which is minimal, they benefit him because the smaller surface area gives Conor less cover when he employs a high guard and allow Floyd to slip in shots from awkward angles and split the guard easier.

Show me the bundles of footage of Conor employing a high guard in MMA?

He carries his hands low and has a wide open guard. What makes you think he's suddenly going to throw out a decade of guard work to fight with a high, tight guard?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement