Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Show me the bundles of footage of Conor employing a high guard in MMA?

He carries his hands low and has a wide open guard. What makes you think he's suddenly going to throw out a decade of guard work to fight with a high, tight guard?

Because he's not fighting in MMA where he has to constantly worry about defending takedowns and get underhooks.

Jesus christ.

If he tried to fight floyd with his hands down he's getting lit up and stopped very early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Show me the bundles of footage of Conor employing a high guard in MMA?

He carries his hands low and has a wide open guard. What makes you think he's suddenly going to throw out a decade of guard work to fight with a high, tight guard?

For **** sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

See that's just miserable and begrudging, it's clearly made a lot of people laugh and smile including Conor by all accounts.

Paulie has always loved the sound of his own voice and is clinging on to this as much as he can

Why can't an Irish person dislike something without it being "begrudgery"?? It's like the paddy buzz word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ellerbe confident that the Commission will make the best decision for the fighters :rolleyes:

Fcuking charade..... not a bit of them want 8-ounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Because he's not fighting in MMA where he has to constantly worry about defending takedowns and get underhooks.

Jesus christ.

If he tried to fight floyd with his hands down he's getting lit up and stopped very early.
    For **** sake!

I guarantee both of you Conor will not have a traditional high boxing guard. It'll be slightly higher and tighter than MMA but not by a lot.

You can say whatever you want in a declarative way but I guarantee you round 1 Conor comes out of his corner hands wide and low.

• Advertisement

You can say whatever you want in a declarative way but I guarantee you round 1 Conor comes out of his corner hands wide and low.

If this happens he gets knocked out. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Why can't an Irish person dislike something without it being "begrudgery"?? It's like the paddy buzz word.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks it's a duck

If this happens he gets knocked out. End of story.

As I said, it'll be higher than MMA (not hard!) and slightly tighter but if you look at the 27 photos he's posted since fight announcement, there's not one single photo where he has a high guard.

He landed one right uppercut on Tiernan Bradley and had his left hand just at shoulder height (nowhere near protecting his head). The rest of the photos he has his guard below shoulder height.

I've no idea why you guys seem so certain he'll have a high guard when literally every photo he posts disagrees. Just because you think it's a good idea doesn't mean he'll do it.

In fairness, wonder, I think those photos are deliberately chosen to suggest that he is going to do something he's not.

That's what he wants Floyd to think..... same as him saying he's going come running at Floyd with bricks.

Sure you said yourself before Nate II, that he put out clips with Wheel kicks the week before.... but yet only threw one and when he did, JK nearly lost the head and said 'Stick to the gameplan'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Floyd's movements and reflexes are sharp as fck.

What are you basing that on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ooter wrote: »
    What are you basing that on?

20 years of counterpunching excellence I'd imagine.

In fairness, wonder, I think those photos are deliberately chosen to suggest that he is going to do something he's not.

That's what he wants Floyd to think..... same as him saying he's going come running at Floyd with bricks.

Sure you said yourself before Nate II, that he put out clips with Wheel kicks the week before.... but yet only threw one and when he did, JK nearly lost the head and said 'Stick to the gameplan'.

I've absolutely no doubt in my mind it won't be a traditional, textbook high boxing guard.

Higher than normal? Sure.

Dan Hardy said the same thing as me sure, he doesn't expect Conor to have a traditional guard.

20 years of counterpunching excellence I'd imagine.

Fair enough, but he hasn't fought professionally in 2 years, what have you seen since then that confirms he's still in that shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Is it just Floyd today then with the media thing? Conor tomoro?

Here we go with the racism bs.......................
    "...........calling us monkeys.......... black America has been through a lot........ and after Aug 26th he won't be speaking that same language again".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Here we go with the racism bs.......................

Well is he at least ignorant then because it sounds ignorant to me. Is this something to be admired.

Conor's team have put in an official request with the NSAC for there to be an international judge as part of the 3-man-judging team (as opposed to just 3 domestic judges).

That might mean nothing but it's an unusual request to make if they're pinning everything on Conor KO'ing him early. It looks to me like the request of a confident team that their fighter won't be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Conor's team have put in an official request with the NSAC for there to be an international judge as part of the 3-man-judging team (as opposed to just 3 domestic judges).

That might mean nothing but it's an unusual request to make if they're pinning everything on Conor KO'ing him early. It looks to me like the request of a confident team that their fighter won't be stopped.
    That's interesting. Wonder is that advice coming from dana/lorenzo or just purely Conors Team. 
    Could be confidence Conor won't be stopped, and/or just covering off all possible outcomes. (And/or more mind games :) -doubt it)  
    Wonder has this been done before? I presume this is in reply to the accusation((I have only heard this so take with a pinch of salt) that Floyd has the judges in his pocket.
    P.S. you are a source of loads of great info, be great if you could share the source/link when you can. tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

After the media workout finally got going. It has to be said that Floyd looks in incredible shape. I have seen at least part of most pre fight media training session's from Mayweather since the Hatton fight and he looks as sharp and as fresh as ever. His work on the heavy bag, his movement in the ring with hand weights, lighting up the speed bag, all on point

ooter wrote:
    Fair enough, but he hasn't fought professionally in 2 years, what have you seen since then that confirms he's still in that shape?

McGregor hasn't boxed professionally for 29 years. In fact he has never boxed as an adult at any level, Amateur or Pro.

What have you seen to suggest Floyd has lost any of his shape and physical conditioning?

• Advertisement

Jesus christ.

Yeah If McGregor doesn't guard probably, and have his stance right, He will get destroyed. Even with a good boxing guard, Floyd has the hand speed, timing and accuracy to land punches on elite fighters all night long

• cloudatlas wrote: »
    Well is he at least ignorant then because it sounds ignorant to me. Is this something to be admired.

Might sound ignorant but again, what of Floyds ignorance towards homosexuals?
    The hypocrisy amuses me.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The hypocrisy amuses me.

What hypocrisy? He's been widely condemned for it.

What have you seen to suggest Floyd has lost any of his shape and physical conditioning?

Where did you put them goalposts? :)

The hypocrisy amuses me.

Exactly and one doesn't cancel out the other.

• What hypocrisy? He's been widely condemned for it.

The accusations of racism from Floyd directly while Floyd could be considered homophobic.
    He's a hypocrite accusing McGregor of ignorance when he's equally as ignorant.

The accusations of racism from Floyd directly while Floyd could be considered homophobic.
    He's a hypocrite accusing McGregor of ignorance when he's equally as ignorant.

Mayweather is a complete and utter ignorant homophobic, misogynistic buffoon. Everyone knows this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mayweather is a complete and utter ignorant homophobic, misogynistic buffoon. Everyone knows this.

if this is true, when they were squaring up, McGregor should have quickly kissed him on the lips at one of the press conferences :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Helwanis review of last night, if it even warranted a review.

• Advertisement

Not saying he's not an idiot but he apologised for it at the media workout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement