Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but in fairness he'll move his head when 8oz or 10oz gloves are flying at it.

He does look stiff in his legs when he throws that follow up hook to his jab. That's where I see him getting punished, when he throws a combo for the sake of it and gets stuck on his heels.

Legs have to be stiff for power no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Legs have to be stiff for power no?

What? No.

dulux99 wrote: »

Paulie talked a lot of nonsense but one thing he said that has stayed with me, is conor is surrounded by yes men who are just full of praise all the time, and therefore he can't make significant strides, in his boxing game at least, as there's noboby there to point out his flaws. Shame really

The fact that he needs his mates from junior school or whatever hanging around his camp 24/7 says a lot about his mental strength. He definitely likes to be surrounded by yes men and he likes to train with people he can get the better of (or who are deferential to him because he's their hero).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

It just dawned on me that Conor and his mates are basically Vincent Chase and the boys, only the boys in this case seem like absolute arseholes, every one of them to a man

What? No.

Physics innit. Opposing force comes from floor through legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

People are suprised Mcgregor looks like s***??

He's not a boxer FFS... Nate Diaz outboxed him, and he's another non boxer

Of all the entertainment I'm getting.. The most is from the Mcgregor fanboys who think their crush has a chance..that's comical

Get real people.. Next to Floyd he looks abysmal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Looks drained here after them rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

pone2012 wrote: »

Of all the entertainment I'm getting.. The most is from the Mcgregor fanboys who think their crush has a chance..that's comical

I'm surprised he looked THIS bad. I did not expect him to be blowing after 3 or 4 rounds on a heavy bag. And this is coming from a huge mcgregor fan....although not huge enough to invest in the conor mcgregor FAST plan mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

pone2012 wrote: »

Nate Diaz outboxed Conor? When did this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Physics innit. Opposing force comes from floor through legs.

There's two lines of thought, depending on who you listen to, but the power can start from the feet, or some people reckon its from the diaphragm/core.

Even if you believe the power comes from sitting down through the feet you still don't have to be stiff, look at that Tyson video for a great example of exploding the energy through bent legs, he's using his legs like a spring and so all the energy is forced up through his strike, when his feet touch the ground they're flexible and springy, ready to step/pivot/move etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

.ak wrote: »
    There's two lines of thought, depending on who you listen to, but the power can start from the feet, or some people reckon its from the diaphragm/core.

Even if you believe the power comes from sitting down through the feet you still don't have to be stiff, look at that Tyson video for a great example of exploding the energy through bent legs, he's using his legs like a spring and so all the energy is forced up through his strike, when his feet touch the ground they're flexible and springy, ready to step/pivot/move etc.

It is not up for opinions. It is physics. Throw punches on a trampoline or something flexible and you will see.

The leg may be bent, but it has to be stiff at the point of impact. What you are seeing with Tyson is flexibility before and after the punch impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

dulux99 wrote: »
    It just dawned on me that Conor and his mates are basically Vincent Chase and the boys, only the boys in this case seem like absolute arseholes, every one of them to a man

They were assholes in the show too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭cletus

So this is now live footage of waiting for McGregor to have a shower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

He's fooked after 36 min of hitting a stationary bag. Without the best boxer in world moving, bobbing, weaving, making him miss, landed counters and fast accurate shots to the head and body.

No In ring work, No pads, No speed bag, nothing.

Mayweather will be laughing

He's fooked after 36 min of hitting a stationary bag. Without the best boxer in world moving, bobbing, weaving, making him miss, landed counters and fast accurate shots to the head and body.

No In ring work, No pads, No speed bag, nothing.

Mayweather will be laughing

Yeah but Mayweather won't have the waterboy Byrne for motivational cheerleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor was talking about next Wednesday's 8oz glove request a few times there........ but can't see the commission approving it, especially given this is first ever professional boxing bout and it's against a 49-0 veteran.

One loophole could be that they make it a fight under MMA rules and then draw up a contract which stipulates that only allows strikes which are legal under Queensberry rules are allowed......... then you have a boxing match with 4oz gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Kavanagh's a better fisherman than that.

FWIW someone is claiming on twitter they counted it and Conor threw 1,100 punches in the workout. No idea if that's true.

• Advertisement

Wonder give us the pr spin on that workout what did you think?

I wasnt expecting anything different tbh it looked similar to other times I've seen him hit the bag,

I was hoping to be impressed with some new shots and more head movement, it was fairly hard work out as anyone whose ever hit a bag can attest to but he looked a bit tired (ish) to me,

Goon squad were the highlight for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

McGregor was talking about next Wednesday's 8oz glove request a few times there........ but can't see the commission approving it, especially given this is first ever professional boxing bout and it's against a 49-0 veteran.

One loophole could be that they make it a fight under MMA rules and then draw up a contract which stipulates that only allows strikes which are legal under Queensberry rules are allowed......... then you have a boxing match with 4oz gloves.

Well, assuming the NSAC views the workout we have all just seen, there is zero hope of 8oz's been sanctioned now.

Salty
    Yeah well, it wouldn't matter if they fought bare knuckle as Floyd would still school him!

/Salty

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wonder give us the pr spin on that workout what did you think?

I wasnt expecting anything different tbh it looked similar to other times I've seen him hit the bag,

I was hoping to be impressed with some new shots and more head movement, it was fairly hard work out as anyone whose ever hit a bag can attest to but he looked a bit tired (ish) to me,

Goon squad were the highlight for me.

I thought Conor looked the same as he always looks in training - pretty average!

As I said, when I need a laugh I sometimes go watch Charlie Ward and Artem landing clean hooks on Conor in sparring while Conor is hitting fresh air.

He threw an awful lot of punches and was never going to impress anyone to be honest. The thing about Conor is that he doesn't have lightning hand-speed or crazy power, he just has impeccable timing on his counters and brilliant sense of distance/range.

Heavy bag/pad workouts are never going to flatter Conor for those reasons.

I should be getting paid for the PR-work :pac:

You should be working for the Mac Life Wonder no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

FWIW someone is claiming on twitter they counted it and Conor threw 1,100 punches in the workout. No idea if that's true.

I'd guess he threw a lot more than that. 1,500 to 1,600 I'd say at a minimum.

Around round 4 he was calling out compubox and saying someone count these punches. At the end of the next round one of the reporters shouted out 217.

After all the stanch switching shown there we can probably expect him to come out with a guard like Klitsckho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Nate Diaz outboxed Conor? When did this happen?

Ufc 196, go and check the stats
    ..and the desperation takedown

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    You should be working for the Mac Life Wonder no doubt about it.

Wait til ya see the tracksuit he's wearing... even I can't spin that too positively :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement