Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wait til ya see the tracksuit he's wearing... even I can't spin that too positively :pac:

I seen a clip there of it some mad floral thing, probably dearer than a months mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'm surprised he looked THIS bad. I did not expect him to be blowing after 3 or 4 rounds on a heavy bag. And this is coming from a huge mcgregor fan....although not huge enough to invest in the conor mcgregor FAST plan mind you

I do like Conor but he's not only out of his league here..he's in a different game as well...I'm not suprised

The general idea hes been putting forward is to him it's easier because he hasn't to worry about all the other MMA threats...but thats a unrealistic view ..he's been fully focused on boxing for a few months...Floyd's focused his entire life

The way I see it, Mcgregor a jack of all trades but a master of none (skillset wise) he's a good mma striker (there's better) and has a decent fight iq but Floyd is a master at his craft.. And the comparison is evident when viewing workouts side to side

.ak wrote: »
    Anyone see the crazy photography up in the rafters?? Hahah mad b***h

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/896157257703997440

pone2012 wrote: »

The way I see it, Mcgregor a jack of all trades but a master of none (skillset wise) he's a good mma striker (there's better) and has a decent fight iq but Floyd is a master at his craft.. And the comparison is evident when viewing workouts side to side

I think his fight IQ is probably the best in mma in any of them divisions 145 tru to 170, a master striker who is in a league of his own when it comes to timing a left hand onto someone, his record of beating Holloway Aldo and Alvarez alone with ease is unprecedented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Artem on his birthday, predicts Conor in the 6th round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Holloway was a long time ago.

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Holloway was a long time ago.

Will still go down as his best win in mma when its all said and done, hes won 11 in a row since and butchered Aldo who looked at his best previously at UFC200, nobody has beaten that level of fighter as consistently as McGregor has barring Jones in mma imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Artem on his birthday, predicts Conor in the 6th round.

'become the undisputed best boxer of all time' :pac:

Skill for skill, Poirier, Mendes, Aldo, Nate and Eddie should probably have beaten Conor.

If you break it down, he isn't a better pure wrestler than any of the above, isn't better at jiujitsu than any of the above and, at the time he fought them, had arguably the less-rounded striking compared to Dustin, Jose and Nate - where striking obviously encompasses kicking, punching, elbows etc.

The fact Floyd is a masterful boxer doesn't mean he will win, it just means he should win.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Will still go down as his best win in mma when its all said and done, hes won 11 in a row since and butchered Aldo who looked at his best previously at UFC200, nobody has beaten that level of fighter as consistently as McGregor has barring Jones in mma imo.

Jones and Mcgregor are worlds apart Gamebred.. Jones is arguably a top contender for the GOAT title..

Conor Mcgregor does not enter that discussion...exposing the sport and holding two titles simultaneously because you refuse to defend one is not the stuff GOATS are made of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Some bleeden shower. Is he bathing in milk.....

He looked great on the bags with plenty left in the tank. Did he do 12 rounds? I missed the start of it.

Jones and Mcgregor are worlds apart Gamebred.. Jones is arguably a top contender for the GOAT title..

Conor Mcgregor does not enter that discussion...exposing the sport and holding two titles simultaneously because you refuse to defend one is not the stuff GOATS are made of

Jose Aldo, Eddie Alvarez and Max Holloway are all going to end up in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Conor isn't "worlds apart" from Jones - he's 2 wins away from in the discussion. If he could either take the welterweight title and/or defeat Khabib/Ferguson, he'd be automatically in that discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno about Eddie Alvarez there on being in the hall of fame

Really looking forward to the Dominick Cruz breakdown, he filmed a technical breakdown of the fight with Andre Berto last week, not sure when it's airing but here's a sneak peek of filming:

Skill for skill, Poirier, Mendes, Aldo, Nate and Eddie should probably have beaten Conor.

If you break it down, he isn't a better pure wrestler than any of the above, isn't better at jiujitsu than any of the above and, at the time he fought them, had arguably the less-rounded striking compared to Dustin, Jose and Nate - where striking obviously encompasses kicking, punching, elbows etc.

The fact Floyd is a masterful boxer doesn't mean he will win, it just means he should win.

Diaz beat him ( and Conor scraped that second one)

An out of shape Mendes almost beat him, and might have if he didn't gas out..who knows

Eddie lost because hes a wrestler and he tried striking against a better striker. Plain and simple..he panicked and got badly punished for it

Aldo was KO'd after one punch.. And refused a rematch..it's no suprise why

Porier should have beat him why? I'd rank Conor a better striker

All of the above is irrelevant anyway (except Diaz) when it comes to boxing..but I just thought I'd have the courtesy to respond

Now we know you are the ultimate fanboy wonder , but tell me this..

Does Conor have better striking ability than Mayweather? NO

Has he a higher fight iq? NO

Has he got experience on his side? NO

Is he fitter? NO

The list goes on and on and on

So, on what basis has he got a hope of beating Mayweather?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I dunno about Eddie Alvarez there on being in the hall of fame

Dream Grand Prix finalist (and didn't fight the final due to injury), Bodog World Champion at 170lbs, Bellator and UFC World Champion at 155lbs...

I mean... if Sakuraba is getting into the UFC Hall of Fame based on a couple of fights in the UFC, then Eddie is a certainty for his achievements in MMA.

Jose Aldo, Eddie Alvarez and Max Holloway are all going to end up in the UFC Hall of Fame.

Conor isn't "worlds apart" from Jones - he's 2 wins away from in the discussion. If he could either take the welterweight title and/or defeat Khabib/Ferguson, he'd be automatically in that discussion.

He has 3 losses on his record...all losses

Jones has never been beaten, only a dq

That is worlds apart.. 300% more losses

Diaz beat him ( and Conor scraped that second one)

An out of shape Mendes almost beat him, and might have if he didn't gas out..who knows

At what point exactly did he almost beat him? by lying in his guard throwing a few elbows? jesus if thats the case every fighter nearly gets beat every fight then absolute bs, got takedowns on an clearly out of shape injured McGregor and still got ko'd.

• Advertisement

He has 3 losses on his record...all losses

Jones has never been beaten, only a dq

That is worlds apart.. 300% more losses

Records are your idea of a great fighter? that tells me enough about your knowledge on mma,

Notice you left out his steroid conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Dream Grand Prix finalist (and didn't fight the final due to injury), Bodog World Champion at 170lbs, Bellator and UFC World Champion at 155lbs...

I mean... if Sakuraba is getting into the UFC Hall of Fame based on a couple of fights in the UFC, then Eddie is a certainty for his achievements in MMA.

Did you really just compare Eddie Alvarez to Sakuraba?

You've officially gone off the deep end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    Records are your idea of a great fighter? that tells me enough about your knowledge on mma,

Notice you left out his steroid conviction.

Forget the records, Jones' accomplishments in MMA dwarf Conor's.

Does Conor have better striking ability than Mayweather? NO

Has he a higher fight iq? NO

Has he got experience on his side? NO

Is he fitter? NO

The list goes on and on and on

So, on what basis has he got a hope of beating Mayweather?

Roger Federer v Sergiy Stakhovsky Wimbledon, 2013.

Did Sergiy have a better serve? NO
    Did he have a better forehand? NO
    Did he have a better backhand? NO
    Did he have a better dropshot? NO
    Did he have superior fitness? NO
    Did he have superior footwork? NO

Roger had superior everything on paper and still lost.

It happens in every single sport.

Man Utd have lost to non-league teams in football.
    Ronnie O' Sullivan has lost to amateurs in snooker.
    Munster beat the All Blacks in 1978.

Larry Holmes was 48-0 when he faced Michael Spinks and was supposed to be superior everywhere. He lost.

Oscar de la Hoya was supposed to beat the breaks off the midget Pacquiao.

Roberto Duran was supposed to be too slow, too old, too stuck in the mud, a shot fighter yet he beat the crap out of Davey Moore.

Sport isn't decided on paper - if it was, we would never watch it. Floyd can have all the advantages he wants and he can still lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Eddies status in MMA history has somehow increased hugely since losing to McGregor. In reality he was one of the weakest champs ever at 155, barring the RDA fight his UFC run has been atrocious.

A comprehensive defeat to Cowboy, two very close and very uneventful decisions against Pettis and Melendez where his output was almost as bad as Woodley v Maia and he still only got split decisions. Granted a very good performance against RDA. Completely outclassed v McGregor and he wasn't far from being stopped by Poirier, and should really have it go down as a loss anyway.

You've officially lost the ability to read, congratulations.

Sakuraba was entered into the UFC Hall of Fame, despite only having fought in the UFC once. He didn't do enough strictly in the UFC to earn a spot in the Hall of Fame but they allowed him into it because of his outside achievements.

Eddie Alvarez IMO has not done enough in the UFC to warrant a Hall-of-Fame spot but when his outside achievements are added, he fully deserves it.

Forget the records, Jones' accomplishments in MMA dwarf Conor's.

Completely disagree, dwarfs them is really reaching, his usada ban as with Andersons has tainted their legacys.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Larry Holmes was 48-0 when he faced Michael Spinks and was supposed to be superior everywhere. He lost.

Roberto Duran was supposed to be too slow, too old, too stuck in the mud, a shot fighter yet he beat the crap out of Davey Moore.

Sport isn't decided on paper - if it was, we would never watch it. Floyd can have all the advantages he wants and he can still lose.

All very true, upsets can and do happen.

So what if I say this - if McGregor and Mayweather fought MMA rules in the octagon, it would be ridiculous to write off Mayweather because anything can happen in sport. He could land a clean punch within 10 seconds and knock McGregor unconscious. It would be foolish to disregard his chances of doing this.

Now I wouldn't ever say the above at all, I think if it was an MMA fight it would be ridiculous to give Mayweather a chance, even though there is a possibility of the above happening. But we should be realistic when we assess the chances of someone winning, and when we're realistic in assessing Mayweather v McGregor in a boxing match, there is no rational argument to suggest McGregor should be competitive in any way.

McGregor's always ****ing late..... remember that docu he got a call in his bedroom:
    "Yeah, I'm on the M50........ Wha?....... That's the radio you mad thing......... Ah, I'm just getting petol, be there 20 minutes

He's out..... and Conor Jnr's in the house.

• Advertisement

Except both of those are tennis players..and Conor Mcgregor is not a boxer

Try again...this time use a representative comparison

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement