Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Creams him with that left hand at 0:09 and had him wobbling.

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/896221007740100608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Today's Haiku
    crying push or trip
    Paulie is crying to the press
    basically talking sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So, when he went into the locker room after that knockdown spar and said to Conor "Do me a favour, no more pics" it was really him just trying to make sure the footage, or even pics of it, never seen the light of day............ and he had the audacity to say that that was the moment he realised that McGregor was "the biggest dirtbag he had ever met" :P

He was mortified at being knocked down by an mma guy.... the one he said he'd beat with one arm tied behind his back and a neck brace on to hole his chin up.

So, when he went into the locker room after that knockdown spar and said to Conor "Do me a favour, no more pics" it was really him just trying to make sure the footage, or even pics of it, never seen the light of day............ and he had the audacity to say that that was the moment he realised that McGregor was "the biggest dirtbag he had ever met" :P

He was mortified at being knocked down by an mma guy.... the one he said he'd beat with one arm tied behind his back and a neck brace on to hole his chin up.

I genuinely feel sorry for Paulie to the extent he was very likely concussed and I just hope he gets a check-up. I'm not even being funny, when sparring partners are saying he was wobbly on his feet when they got home, that's worrying.

We can't judge the whole session based on 2x 15 second clips but what we can say is that he was saved by the ropes and ate at least 2 monstrous left hands clean.

• Advertisement

But he seemed fine in the TMZ clip though.......

Conor says here that they sent the footage across and they wouldn't show it and I can only assume that meant 'All Access'.

As McGregor says, he's a hard guy to dislike but he's on Twitter now still calling it a push down................

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/896228344076873729

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/896232031398617094

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It doesn't look like a knock down anyway, but I'm not sure what it is!

Just touching the canvas with any part of the body other than the feet is a knockdown.

Paulie clearly was putting knee and glove to the canvas and was headed that way from the strike..... regardless of the trailing hand on the back of the head.

If that was a real fight.... he'd have got a count for sure.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It doesn't look like a knock down anyway, but I'm not sure what it is!

:confused: Anyway I'll tell you what it wasn't:

"He pushed me down out of frustration because I was getting the better of him"

- Paulie Malignaggi, last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm no expert in boxing but it looks like a strange interaction. Paulie's body shape as he's falling is a very strange one, one that is preparing for a fall.

In other news, this one is for you Wonderfullife

No anger or badness, I just think you;ll like it

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm no expert in boxing but it looks like a strange interaction. Paulie's body shape as he's falling is a very strange one, one that is preparing for a fall.

In other news, this one is for you Wonderfullife

No anger or badness, I just think you;ll like it

Poor Glen RIP

He had some fantastic songs that will live forever though

Boxing forum has just turned into strawman central..... as ever.

You'd swear people were saying that McGregor caught Paulie with an uppercut and knocked him out cold and that it now meant that Conor would beat Floyd easily.

Anyway, I was just going to say that it's strange that the racism accusations weren't raised tonight, but ESPN did later on................. and Conor handles it perfectly (no 'black from the waist down' nonsense this time):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

It's all staged WWE has more credibility that this crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

You can see how much that accusation annoyed him, clearly got under his skin. But he handled that well.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Boxing forum has just turned into strawman central..... as ever.

You'd swear people were saying that McGregor caught Paulie with an uppercut and knocked him out cold and that it now meant that Conor would beat Floyd easily.

Anyway, I was just going to say that it's strange that the racism accusations weren't raised tonight, but ESPN did later on................. and Conor handles it perfectly (no 'black from the waist down' nonsense this time):

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/896243428018671616

About time he denied it clearly. I think he was avoiding giving it air, by not addressing it directly, but that wasn't working. I even heard Shannon Sharpe & Skip Bayless trotting out the monkey accusation as if it was accepted fact in the last couple of days. To see Mayweather, BlackSportsOnline, and human rights campaigners, and mainstream media spreading it is sickening.

About time he denied it clearly. I think he was avoiding giving it air, by not addressing it directly, but that wasn't working. I even heard Shannon Sharpe & Skip Bayless trotting out the monkey accusation as if it was accepted fact in the last couple of days. To see Mayweather, BlackSportsOnline, and human rights campaigners, and mainstream media spreading it is sickening.

The last time I saw Conor get that annoyed was when Nate accused him of being on steroids.

The last time I heard Conor say the words "Let's see who takes the first backward step" was against Chad Mendes.

I hope "Win or Learn" is a real thing because in both fights he came out hyper-aggressive and was getting caught. He has to find a better balance this time but I'm encouraged to see the passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Could someone please call around to Paulie and collect his shoelaces and belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

liam7831 wrote: »
    It's all staged WWE has more credibility that this crap

A lot of it was staged I believe, but both of these guys have huge egos. Nothing wrong with that by the way. You have to believe you are the best in order to win.

I think as the fight gets nearer, this egos are kicking in. Floyd wants people to cheer him on - he thinks bigging up Conor isn't gonna do it so he paints McG out to be racist.

Conor probably agreed previously not to bring up Floyd's "domestic issues" but he's getting more and more anxious about the fight as it gets closer. He probably wants to try get into Floyd's head because he knows now (finally) that the odds are massively stacked against him and getting into his opponent's head worked so well in the past.

I agree with the post above. He had better come out like some zen like motherf**ker otherwise he will get annihilated pronto

• Advertisement

Damn it if I had known he'd be flying out super-fans to the fight I would have tried to write a catchy jingle myself :o

Yes, and he'll have more ability than any of you boxing 'experts' on here.

What the actual fcuk are you talking about? Conor is fighting Floyd freaking Mayweather...... no one else here is doing that. "He'll have more ability than an of you boxing experts"......... does this also mean I can't give out about football players wh play bad because they are better at football than me? If I watch a movie and an actor sucks I have to just shut up because he is a better actor than me? Seriously mate get a grip...... Conor is fighting Floyd and if his boxing doesn't look world class he is going to get criticism, if you call out Floyd and talk sh1te you have to get the fallback when you end up getting humiliated.

"greatest sporting event of our lifetime" :eek::eek: :pac::pac::pac:

This spectacle is for sure going to be interesting but its not even the greatest sporting event this year, never mind of our lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The best part of all this is seeing how wound up Paulie gets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Roger Federer v Sergiy Stakhovsky Wimbledon, 2013.

Did Sergiy have a better serve? NO Did he have a better forehand? NO Did he have a better backhand? NO Did he have a better dropshot? NO Did he have superior fitness? NO Did he have superior footwork? NO

Roger had superior everything on paper and still lost.

It happens in every single sport.

Man Utd have lost to non-league teams in football. Ronnie O' Sullivan has lost to amateurs in snooker. Munster beat the All Blacks in 1978.

Larry Holmes was 48-0 when he faced Michael Spinks and was supposed to be superior everywhere. He lost.

Oscar de la Hoya was supposed to beat the breaks off the midget Pacquiao.

Roberto Duran was supposed to be too slow, too old, too stuck in the mud, a shot fighter yet he beat the crap out of Davey Moore.

Sport isn't decided on paper - if it was, we would never watch it. Floyd can have all the advantages he wants and he can still lose.

Yes of course there are upsets in sports. But in all of your examples, Those people and teams complete in the same sport.

Sergiy Stakhovsky may not be as successful as Rodger Feeder, but he is still a professional tennis player who has been training and competing at a high level all his life. They are both professional tennis players at the end of the day.

Mayweather and McGregor may both compete in combat sports, But they are two very different sports. MMA and Boxing. So there is no contest. If they fight MMA Connor wins, If they fight Boxing, Mayweather wins.

Usain Bolt and Michael Plelps both race. But would Bolt have a chance against Plelps in a pool? Would Phelps have a chance against Bolt on the track?

The Dublin GAA team and Real Madrid both play football. But would Dublin have a chance on the soccer pitch again Madrid? Would Real Madrid have a chance on a GAA pitch against the Dubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Knockdown / "Push" released! Make up your own mind folks!

It's a knock down, There's no push there. But there is a loss of balance when Paulie bends down and falls backwards. It wasn't due to a power shot from McGregor. He didn't hurt Paulie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Conor fans have such vivid imaginations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Deedsie wrote: »
    If him and Paulie do fight, he has already won the mental warfare side of things.

I'm sure he gave McGregor plenty of trouble in those spars but how anyone can deny that was a legit knock down I don't understand.

The funny thing is conors camp said there was lot of back and forth in the sparring and ref said it was violent from bith men... But paulie forced this humiliation on himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Creams him with that left hand at 0:09 and had him wobbling.

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/896221007740100608

I'd much prefer to see all of this then him fighting Mayweather.

Mind you, those scrappy slaps are hilarious. The both of them looked bolloxed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement