Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I was honestly expecting a push or a trip... I'm amazed how much of a hole Paulie has dug here. What an eejit. That's what having a motor mouth gets you. Not even sure how Showtime can have him on the panel, everyone will rip him to shreds.

It's not a sweetly landed punch to stiff him but he does go down because of punches, that is technical a knock down, that would get a count. There's no trip there, there's no push.

I'm starting to think if Conor does land on floyd and whip his head back early in the fight then Floyd will make a mistake and come forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That would for sure be called a knockdown, but its not exactly from a killer punch. Looked like his head was held down and he just gave up, he wasn't flattened.

That straight left though, that woke his ancestors.

Would love to see more, non cherry-picked footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Holy mother of Jesus. That straight left was lighten speed. Don't even think paulie had a chance to react. It's amazing the interest in sparing footage.

So apart from the all access shows what are the next media dates? Press conferences...a face to face discussion?

Yeah I stand by what I said earlier, Floyd's power on the bag vs Conor's is night and day. Floyd effortlessly delivers power through that hook. He's not even exploding - just all technique and distance.

Luckily they're fighting each other and not heavy bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Damn it if I had known he'd be flying out super-fans to the fight I would have tried to write a catchy jingle myself

Im pretty sickened kav didn't put a word in for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That 'knockdown' is hilarious, Paulie manages to trip himself, reminds me of those ankle-breaker basketball clips of fat lads trying to keep up with pro ballers.

JJayoo wrote: »
    That 'knockdown' is hilarious, Paulie manages to trip himself, reminds me of those ankle-breaker basketball clips of fat lads trying to keep up with pro ballers.

He unbalances himself but credit is due to McGregor here, his duck and weave sets up a lovely counter combo, I actually think he hurt him with the left, he was looking to go down there.

• Advertisement

Paulie's all over twitter saying he pulled his head down with the right, that clearly didn't happen. He's also trying to move the goal posts saying 36 minutes over and over. Like he has any credibility now... He could well have dominated the fight, but nobody will believe him now after blatantly lying about the knock down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

bur wrote: »
    Conor fans have such vivid imaginations.

Fans? No, most I know are fans whilst retaining a realistic outlook. Fanboys? Yes. However, the anti-fanboys are the worst of all, constantly trying to 'educate' everyone, putting McGregor down at every opportunity (whether warranted or not), and generally being the only ones to piss and moan about what goes up in social media. It's ****ing painful stuff to read.

If I felt that way about someone, I'd just avoid talking about them, so I can only deduce that they've a closet obsession with him or something. There's about five of them on this forum that never cease trying to educate people, and who's posts I just scroll past. Compared to out and out fanboys, there's one or two I notice on this forum, and their posts still have streets more class than the five closet fanboys.

I'm bloody dying for this fight to be over, and the ****ology dies off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but didn't McGregor put up a video a while back where he was giving advice to a fan about all this wasted moving and wasting energy etc in between combos...which is exactly what he is doing here?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Colour me surprised, I actually believed Paulie but it seems closer to a knockdown than what Paulie described. And the 8 oz gloves thing seems to be more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gintonious wrote: »

Correct me if I am wrong here, but didn't McGregor put up a video a while back where he was giving advice to a fan about all this wasted moving and wasting energy etc in between combos...which is exactly what he is doing here?

I'm pretty sure he's just showing that he can be light on his feet 12 rounds in. All those movements are going to drain his gas tank, which is the point I guess when you are trying to build cardio.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's just showing that he can be light on his feet 12 rounds in. All those movements are going to drain his gas tank, which is the point I guess when you are trying to build cardio.

Hands low, needless hoping around (which when you are tired, you do more of and just takes more out of you).

His cardio is probably well capable for 12 rounds, its his energy management that needs work possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Regarding the 8oz gloves thing.

Now, take this with a HUGE pinch of salt as I've been heavily medicated over the last couple of days, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the McGregor side of the application was a piss take, about allowing diamond encrusted 8oz gloves.

Or did I fall for a WWN article, or just straight up dream it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hands low, needless hoping around (which when you are tired, you do more of and just takes more out of you).

His cardio is probably well capable for 12 rounds, its his energy management that needs work possibly.

I don't disagree re energy management, I think it's something evidently he's worked on along with cardio but I also don't think it's possible to make a judgement based off of him working a a bag either, how economical he will be with his movement

• Advertisement

Just watched the Ariel interview.

Anyone that thinks he's just a loud mouth yob cannot see past their own preconceived notions. He's articulate, he's sharp, he's respectful, and all business. That piece in the Times about "Conor McGregor is everything we teach our sons not to be" and yer man Logue was just horse**** altogether.

"But he batters people for a living!!11!" No, he works hard, and achieves results. It just so happens that part of what he is good at is MMA. Take him out of the ring, put him in charge of promoting other fighters, or as an agent? He'd make bank for all involved.

I like that he wants to instill a good work ethic in his son. No matter what happens, that kid will be unlikely to want for money. But it's nice to hear him say it, and he says it like he means it.

He's 5 years younger than me, and he has the world at his feet. Say what you want about his boxing ability, he's got hustle.

Anyone that thinks he's just a loud mouth yob cannot see past their own preconceived notions. He's articulate, he's sharp, he's respectful, and all business. That piece in the Times about "Conor McGregor is everything we teach our sons not to be" and yer man Logue was just horse**** altogether.

I think the issue is, this is not the image he portrays in mainstream media. Most people won't see that Helwani interview. To the general public he comes across as a yob. But obviously it's just a persona designed to sell ppvs. So it's easy for people to have that bad impression of him.

I think the issue is, this is not the image he portrays in mainstream media. Most people won't see that Helwani interview. To the general public he comes across as a yob. But obviously it's just a persona designed to sell ppvs. So it's easy for people to have that bad impression of him.

It's not like the Indo or Times will be rushing to get an interview with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What's the story with the oohs and aahs when he is uppercutting a stationary object??

It's not like the Indo or Times will be rushing to get an interview with him.

What I mean is, what people see on twitter or Facebook etc is him being a loudmouth yob. Hence, people think he's a loudmouth yob. I don't necessarily have a problem with people not liking the guy. Without digging deeper and seeking out interviews like that Helwani one, he doesn't seem all that likeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Love Robins breakdowns. Its just a quick one and a more detailed one is due tomorrow.

If anything it will give the ''boxing community'' a better understanding of what to expect.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I don't disagree re energy management, I think it's something evidently he's worked on along with cardio but I also don't think it's possible to make a judgement based off of him working a a bag either, how economical he will be with his movement

True, fair point.

I just think if you are really working on maintaining a tempo, all that moving about should be long gone. In a boxing fight, you don't see many boxers doing that, its mainly with shadow boxing.

Sure he even said it himself in a video to a fan that it was wasted energy.

I thought his uppercuts in that video at least were dire, all arms, no hips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Im pretty sickened kav didn't put a word in for you.

There's still time :D I'll live in hope I get the last minute call-up to go to the fight :P I'll have to start a petition or something haha.

That video was sent to Artem while he was preparing for Cub Swanson. He never said Artem's name in the video but he said it's "for a friend", and it was the week before the Swanson fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I like Roddy, he seems confident....... but man I wish they had a boxing coach on board..... much of the strikes in the spar were more slaps than punches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

.ak wrote: »
    Paulie's all over twitter saying he pulled his head down with the right, that clearly didn't happen.

He's an idiot.

You can clearly see that to start off with Paulie throws a right, Conor dodges it and hits him with a quick soft right and left......... nothing to see there.

But then Paulie stands up straight (right in front of Conor) and Conor hits him with a straight right down the pipe..... just as Paulie is throwing a right himself (which misses) and THAT's the crucial point in the exchange as it totally changes Paulie's stance, momentum and demeanor......... and he begins to fall forwards towards Conor, both arms flailing and clearly he's trying in vain to regain his balance........ and that would only happen if Conor had caught him with that right down the pipe.

As Paulie continues to fall fowards Conor tries follow up with a left (and just clips the back of his head) and a right (which misses) and that is the point at which the back of Paulie's neck and Conor's left arm are in contact......... but he's falling down here anyway and it's clear from his arms that he has totally lost his balance before that point........... to say Conor pushed him to to the ground because Paulie was beating the brakes off him or because Conor wanted a break....... is laughable..... and that's being kind.

Here's the slow mo and Paulie also says that Cortez is waving a no-knockdown but that's also ridiculous as he's clearly motioning to Conor to to step back given that Paulie is now grounded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement