Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's the story with the oohs and aahs when he is uppercutting a stationary object??

In fairness his uppercuts on that pad were probably the best punches thrown. Great technique and clear power there.

He's an idiot.

You can clearly see that to start off with Paulie throws a right, Conor dodges it and hits him with a quick soft right and left......... nothing to see there.

But then Paulie stands up straight (right in front of Conor) and Conor hits him with a straight right down the pipe..... just as Paulie is throwing a right himself (which misses) and THAT's the crucial point in the exchange as it totally changes Paulie's stance, momentum and demeanor......... and he begins to fall forwards towards Conor, both arms flailing and clearly he's trying in vain to regain his balance........ and that would only happen if Conor had caught him with that right down the pipe.

As Paulie continues to fall fowards Conor tries follow up with a left (and just clips the back of his head) and a right (which misses) and that is the point at which the back of Paulie's neck and Conor's left arm are in contact......... but he's falling down here anyway and it's clear from his arms that he has totally lost his balance before that point........... to say Conor pushed him to to the ground because Paulie was beating the brakes off him or because Conor wanted a break....... is laughable..... and that's being kind.

Here's the slow mo and Paulie also says that Cortez is waving a no-knockdown but that's also ridiculous as he's clearly motioning to Conor to to step back given that Paulie is now grounded.

Yeah, nothing grounds him there other than punches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

.ak wrote: »
    In fairness his uppercuts on that pad were probably the best punches thrown. Great technique and clear power there.

1bae09fb2ecdd32e63311526238fb66456ffd699a857396004d37ccf0098303a.jpg

That video was sent to Artem while he was preparing for Cub Swanson. He never said Artem's name in the video but he said it's "for a friend", and it was the week before the Swanson fight.

Hopefully he heeds some of his own advice then.

He's an idiot.

You can clearly see that to start off with Paulie throws a right, Conor dodges it and hits him with a quick soft right and left......... nothing to see there.

But then Paulie stands up straight (right in front of Conor) and Conor hits him with a straight right down the pipe..... just as Paulie is throwing a right himself (which misses) and THAT's the crucial point in the exchange as it totally changes Paulie's stance, momentum and demeanor......... and he begins to fall forwards towards Conor, both arms flailing and clearly he's trying in vain to regain his balance........ and that would only happen if Conor had caught him with that right down the pipe.

As Paulie continues to fall fowards Conor tries follow up with a left (and just clips the back of his head) and a right (which misses) and that is the point at which the back of Paulie's neck and Conor's left arm are in contact......... but he's falling down here anyway and it's clear from his arms that he has totally lost his balance before that point........... to say Conor pushed him to to the ground because Paulie was beating the brakes off him or because Conor wanted a break....... is laughable..... and that's being kind.

Here's the slow mo and Paulie also says that Cortez is waving a no-knockdown but that's also ridiculous as he's clearly motioning to Conor to to step back given that Paulie is now grounded.

Look at his hands just before it cuts, he is crossing his hands to wave a no knockdown. You can see it clear as day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Just watched the Ariel interview.

Anyone that thinks he's just a loud mouth yob cannot see past their own preconceived notions. He's articulate, he's sharp, he's respectful, and all business. That piece in the Times about "Conor McGregor is everything we teach our sons not to be" and yer man Logue was just horse**** altogether.

Great post.

On a slight tangent, I've been accused (at last count) by 5 different posters of "living vicariously through Conor" and 2 posters implied that I might be the type of crazy-stalker to inflict violence on him/JK. The other day someone said "well why don't you go try achieve greatness in your own life instead of living through him" and while my initial reaction was "not this sh1t again", I did a bit of thinking about it.

Part of why Conor inspires me so much is that it was far easier for him to give up on his dreams than to chase them. When he was up in Donegal fighting Paddy Doherty or over in Portlaoise fighting Sowinski, I'm sure the UFC looked an impossible dream. For the first 5 years of his journey in MMA, 14 contests, he probably made a financial loss from fighting. I've no doubt in my mind he had people in his ear constantly telling him to give up that stupid fighting and get a 'real job' and still, he stuck at it.

The other side of that coin is the day after he knocked Paddy Doherty unconscious in 4 seconds, he reached out to Paddy, asked him was he feeling ok and if he'd ever like to come down to Dublin to train he'd be more than welcome.

After every victory or defeat, Conor has consistently shown empathy, compassion and humility for others. The images of him picking himself off the deck after the Diaz fight and how he handled a setback in life should be just as inspiring to us as how he handled his victory over Doherty.

People on here try to embarrass and shame me for being such a "fanboy" of Conor's but the truth is the first word in "living vicariously" is "living". Just like Conor was being told to give up on his dream, for a long time I've had parts of my brain telling me to just 'give up' completely.

I'm grateful to have a passion and to draw inspiration to persevere and truck onwards. Achieving greatness is a very subjective thing but right now, for me, it's just living :)

I really hope he beats Floyd on August 26th because if he does it won't be because he lands a lucky left hook - it'll be because he refused to quit on his dreams, never stopped believing in himself and never stopping working as hard as he could to achieve them.

That's the message we should be teaching our children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭cletus

Gintonious wrote: »
    True, fair point.

I just think if you are really working on maintaining a tempo, all that moving about should be long gone. In a boxing fight, you don't see many boxers doing that, its mainly with shadow boxing.

Sure he even said it himself in a video to a fan that it was wasted energy.

I thought his uppercuts in that video at least were dire, all arms, no hips.

Re. the uppercuts at the end, I assumed it was sort of a blowout at the end of the workout, sort of show he still has energy at the end of 12 rounds, and put in one last 'sprint' to finish up, rather than working a specific technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

There's a foul punch in the middle of that clip too but sure we'll not mention it :D

cletus wrote: »
    Re. the uppercuts at the end, I assumed it was sort of a blowout at the end of the workout, sort of show he still has energy at the end of 12 rounds, and put in one last 'sprint' to finish up, rather than working a specific technique

Not sure I would agree with the last bit, if you are bolloxed tired, you would rely on technique more and more, so if anything you should have seen him use his body more and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Look at his hands just before it cuts, he is crossing his hands to wave a no knockdown. You can see it clear as day.

No, he's NOT. Quit this bullshit. He never once 'crosses his hands'.

From the moment Paulie goes down Joe raises his RIGHT hand in the direction of Conor and then walks towards him.

He keeps his left hand AT HIS SIDE until right beside Conor.

You're seeing what you want to see.

jc3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mayweather available at 2/9 now. I'm gobsmacked.

dulux99 wrote: »

Surely some professionals will be lining up a few goes at that. It's a phenomenally big price for anybody that gambles seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I haven't punched anything or anyone in a few years now. But I reckon I could do the exact same technique-wise after a weeks training, maybe less power, but I'm not a pro-fighter.

dulux99 wrote: »

Im not up to speed with odds...is that good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Surely some professionals will be lining up a few goes at that. It's a phenomenally big price for anybody that gambles seriously.

It's also a huge compliment to the two lads for promoting this fight to be competitive.

I'd love McGregor to win ftr, but you should never gamble with your heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭cletus

Not sure I would agree with the last bit, if you are bolloxed tired, you would rely on technique more and more, so if anything you should have seen him use his body more and more.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying you would expect to see better technique as hr gets more tired? I presume not.

The point I was trying to make was that the uppercuts thrown were not thrown to be technically good. He was not working on uppercuts. It was a last piece of cardio that could have been skipping

No, he's NOT. Quit this bullshit. He never once 'crosses his hands'.

From the moment Paulie goes down Joe raises his RIGHT hand in the direction of Conor and then walks towards him.

He keeps his left hand AT HIS SIDE until right beside Conor.

You're seeing what you want to see.

jc3.png

**** sake, are you blind?

You can see, clear as day, his left hand under his right in the last shot, then the tape cuts.

He moves between them and is bringing it in, the video shows it.

I am seeing it, you are ignoring it.

I haven't punched anything or anyone in a few years now. But I reckon I could do the exact same technique-wise after a weeks training, maybe less power, but I'm not a pro-fighter.

Yea the point I'm trying to make is they were the best of a bad bunch, the oohs and aahs from the team were to keep him motivated and keep his output up.

You can see, clear as day, his left hand under his right in the last shot, then the tape cuts.

Impossible to tell from that angle. Is there another angle?

cletus wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying you would expect to see better technique as hr gets more tired? I presume not.

The point I was trying to make was that the uppercuts thrown were not thrown to be technically good. He was not working on uppercuts. It was a last piece of cardio that could have been skipping

No no.

When I get tired anyway, to keep the power up I rely on my body more. Maybe he doesn't, but I do find as I tire, my technique gets better, but the speed goes to ****.

His uppercuts do look more like a blow out at the end.

• Advertisement

Im not up to speed with odds...is that good or bad?

It's a bad price as in you'd have to put on 9 to win 2 but it's a good price to my eye as that price gives Mayweather roughly an 82/83% chance of winning theoretically whereas i'd have him at 95% chance+.

Other lads might think the 4/1 or so that's about for Mc Gregor is Value whereas i've given a few of my friends 5/1 gladly as i feel he should be at least 10/1.

Impossible to tell from that angle. Is there another angle?

The poster arguing the opposite put this up. Watch it in large screen and you can see it nice and clear, that when Paulie goes down, Cortez walks over with his right hand up, and then brings in his left under it to signal no knockdown.

It's a bad price as in you'd have to put on 9 to win 2 but it's a good price to my eye as that price gives Mayweather roughly an 82/83% chance of winning theoretically whereas i'd have him at 95% chance+.

Other lads might think the 4/1 or so that's about for Mc Gregor is Value whereas i've given a few of my friends 5/1 gladly as i feel he should be at least 10/1.

Ah right, so it just means more favour for Mayweather then?

Ah right, so it just means more favour for Mayweather then?

Yeah big time but i'd say it opened a lot wider, Mayweather would/Should've been about 1/12 or 1/10 i'd say to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

An amazing piece of PR work from Dana White. Within hours of a shocking workout on the bags by McGregor, he felt the time was right to release the snippet against Paulie. I wonder why? Look at everyone, nobody is now talking about how bad Conor looked last night and instead choosing to ignore what they saw and talk about the ins and outs of a sparring match against an out of shape boxer. Brilliant move from Dana.

Conor is in a world of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

LMAO. You are making **** up!! :P

Here's the last frame of that clip which Joe Cortez is in and his wrists are no where near each other ffs!

Let me help you......... each arrow points at where each of Joe's wrists are in that final frame.... NOT EVEN CLOSE TO ONE ANOTHER!

Wrists.jpg

You're seeing what you want to see. Watch the slow mo video and you can clearly see his hands never cross let alone his wrists!

LMAO. You are making **** up!! :P

Here's the last frame of that clip which Joe Cortez is in and his wrists are no where near each other ffs!

Let me help you......... each arrow points at where each of Joe's wrists are in that final frame.... NOT EVEN CLOSE TO ONE ANOTHER!

Wrists.jpg

You're seeing what you want to see. Watch the slow mo video and you can clearly see his hands never cross let alone his wrists!

Let me help you, you have heard of foreshortening? Watch the video again and you see his hand moving towards the other just before it is cut.

Plain sight, clear as day, crystal clear, Stevie Wonder can see it etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

gilmour wrote: »
    An amazing piece of PR work from Dana White. Within hours of a shocking workout on the bags by McGregor, he felt the time was right to release the snippet against Paulie.

To describe throwing 1,500 punches in 36 minutes on heavy bags as a "shocking workout" sums up the negativity towards Conor.

On a purely physical level, anyone I've spoken to online who has ever boxed has said that is a phenomenally difficult and extremely impressive workout.

Ever heard of Conor McGregor Fast? His conditioning program? What's the best way to advertise a conditioning program... call me crazy but showing you're in unbelievable condition would be a good starting point.

If he wanted to show off hand-speed, footwork, timing, reflexes he would have hit pads or done touch-butt with Ido. What he wanted to show the world (and Floyd) is if this goes the full 12 rounds he's going to be in there pitching to the bitter end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

The internet was in top form this morning with some great mocking of Paulie. This comment on Robin Black's breakdown is viciously funny:

425024.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Love Robins breakdowns. Its just a quick one and a more detailed one is due tomorrow.

If anything it will give the ''boxing community'' a better understanding of what to expect.

whats the name of this vid on utube. On my phone need to show it to a boxy prick!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement