Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

To describe throwing 1,500 punches in 36 minutes on heavy bags as a "shocking workout" sums up the negativity towards Conor.

On a purely physical level, anyone I've spoken to online who has ever boxed has said that is a phenomenally difficult and extremely impressive workout.

Ever heard of Conor McGregor Fast? His conditioning program? What's the best way to advertise a conditioning program... call me crazy but showing you're in unbelievable condition would be a good starting point.

If he wanted to show off hand-speed, footwork, timing, reflexes he would have hit pads or done touch-butt with Ido. What he wanted to show the world (and Floyd) is if this goes the full 12 rounds he's going to be in there pitching to the bitter end.

So we have had this

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/896165673348374531

Then you said this
    FWIW someone is claiming on twitter they counted it and Conor threw 1,100 punches in the workout. No idea if that's true.

And now you are saying 1,500 punches...

I think people are more shocked by the quality over the quantity.

And for the record, I hope to get no one watched his workout and counted the punches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gintonious wrote: »

The poster arguing the opposite put this up. Watch it in large screen and you can see it nice and clear, that when Paulie goes down, Cortez walks over with his right hand up, and then brings in his left under it to signal no knockdown.

Honestly can't tell what he's doing from that angle. Right arm comes up first, then the left, but can't see any crossing.

All moot anyway, it was a knock down. Refs aren't infaliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Will you quit waffling? Seriously.

I wouldn't mind but you're changing your story as you go as first you said Joe had crossed his hands and now you're saying he was about to...... make up your mind.

Here's proof of that:
    Look at his hands just before it cuts, he is crossing his hands to wave a no knockdown. You can see it clear as day.

But now that I have shown that Joe's wrists are not even close in that last frame you have changed your story to:
    Watch the video again and you see his hand moving towards the other just before it is cut.

Look, you've been caught out saying something was in the clip that wasn't. Admit you were wrong and move on.

Joe's wrists are nowhere near one another in that LAST frame.......

Wrists.jpg

....more than likely he was just getting ready to call them back in to fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Why would he call them back in if it was a knockdown? Do you even understand the rules of boxing?

Knockdown = standing fighter goes to the furthest corner from the downed fighter and the downed fighter is given a standing 8.

The only time he'd call them back in is if... dun dun dun... it's not a knockdown...

.ak wrote: »
    Honestly can't tell what he's doing from that angle. Right arm comes up first, then the left, but can't see any crossing.

All moot anyway, it was a knock down. Refs aren't infaliable.

I was hellbent on calling it a knockdown but it looks like he misses him with the left. There is no impact on the left arm and thats the one that ended up behind his head.

If it was a knockdown, and Cortez was there to replicate a fighting situation, why not show the standing count?

It cuts just before you see his hands, palms down, coming towards each other.

As someone in here (or the boxing forum) this was released a few hours after his workout, which wasn't exactly awe inspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

ardinn wrote: »
    whats the name of this vid on utube. On my phone need to show it to a boxy prick!

Just search robin black on utube. It's his latest upload.

Why would he call them back in if it was a knockdown? Do you even understand the rules of boxing?

Knockdown = standing fighter goes to the furthest corner from the downed fighter and the downed fighter is given a standing 8.

The only time he'd call them back in is if... dun dun dun... it's not a knockdown...

There is no count in sparring. Paulie has spoken about that on his podcast.

Either way, what it defo isn't............ is Conor pushing him over as Paulie is "beating the brakes" off him and he needs a rest :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Paulie's podcast. He sounds like an Italian Christopher Walken after inhaling a little bit of helium.

http://www1.play.it/audio/showtime-sports/

Edit: He talks almost without interruption for 2 hours. I don't know how he doesn't have a sore throat.

There is no count in sparring. Paulie has spoken about that on his podcast.

I'm sorry, isn't Joe Cortez, the HoF referee, in full uniform, there to enforce the rules as if it was a real fight? Or is that only the story when it suits the narrative?

Will you quit waffling? Seriously.

I wouldn't mind but you're changing your story as you go as first you said Joe had crossed his hands and now you're saying he was about to...... make up your mind.

Here's proof of that:

But now that I have shown that Joe's wrists are not even close in that last frame you have changed your story to:

Look, you've been caught out saying something was in the clip that wasn't. Admit you were wrong and move on.

Joe's wrists are nowhere near one another in that LAST frame.......

Wrists.jpg

....more than likely he was just getting ready to call them back in to fight.

Ok, you can take the pedantic route if it fits your agenda, no problem.

Splitting hairs with what I have typed so you can say I am changing my story doesn't change what is happening the video. Crossing his hands and moving his hands towards each other are obviously worlds apart terms for you. So I will reiterate it for you.

You can see his hands, palms down moving towards each other at the end of the video. This in boxing is to signal a "no knockdown" and Cortex was hired to replicate a fight fully. The video gets cut just before they fully cross over each other (this I suspect is to fit Dana Whites goal of making it look like a knockdown).

If it was a knockdown, Cortez would have given the standing 8 count. Thats what he was there to do.

I am suspect of it being a knockdown as well as there were no clean punches landed before it either.

Que more outrage from the fanboys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

So we have had this

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/896165673348374531

And for the record, I hope to get no one watched his workout and counted the punches...

I counted Rounds 11 and 12 :o

Round 11 - 307
    Round 12 - 292

I'm confident that's accurate to within 5.

I don't really have the energy to count the rest of the rounds but I've no reason to believe the total comes to less than 1,500. It could be closer to 2,000.

I'm sorry, isn't Joe Cortez, the HoF referee, in full uniform, there to enforce the rules as if it was a real fight? Or is that only the story when it suits the narrative?

Use your brains.

They would hardly call it a 12-round-spar from the outset if there was a possibility of one fighter being counted out within the first and then everyone goes home :rolleyes:

Paulie was told he was going 12 rounds an that's what they did. If it was an official fight he for sure would have been under the count.

Use your brains.

They would hardly call it a 12-round spar if there was a possibility of one fighter being counted out within the first and then everyone goes home :rolleyes:

Why is he there so? Use your brain, the entire point of having him there is so they can simulate a real fight in every sparring session, they've been saying that non stop since they announced he was going to be in the camp. You're doing logical backflips to try and grasp at those straws.

Round 11 - 307
    Round 12 - 292

I don't really have the energy to count the rest of the rounds but I've no reason to believe the total comes to less than 1,500. It could be closer to 2,000.

Please don't do that to yourself.

Round 11 - 307
    Round 12 - 292

Jesus that's commitment to the cause, I don't envy you.

Surprised there were more in the 11th than in the 12th considering he just spammed uppercuts and hooks for the final minute.

Wonderfulife..... any chance of a breakdown of the boxing and mma community after the fight. It fascinating read each sides take on rules/ tactics etc etc. I'm a not pro or anti any side but I will say if Conor wins it has to change boxing in its current form. Boxing will have to evolve or get left far behind.

Like I said I'm not anti boxing. My eldest is 10 and he is registering at a local boxing club in sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

To describe throwing 1,500 punches in 36 minutes on heavy bags as a "shocking workout" sums up the negativity towards Conor.

On a purely physical level, anyone I've spoken to online who has ever boxed has said that is a phenomenally difficult and extremely impressive workout.

Ever heard of Conor McGregor Fast? His conditioning program? What's the best way to advertise a conditioning program... call me crazy but showing you're in unbelievable condition would be a good starting point.

If he wanted to show off hand-speed, footwork, timing, reflexes he would have hit pads or done touch-butt with Ido. What he wanted to show the world (and Floyd) is if this goes the full 12 rounds he's going to be in there pitching to the bitter end.

Ah come on now Wonder, its an impressive feat to throw that many punches for anyone fitness wise but when you are talking about coming up against an elite boxer in 2 weeks time you have to have a higher standard. The quantity of the punches is not what you're looking for, its how they're thrown, the quality and snap behind them, the movement into and out of the punch (his elbows were wide chin up) and then the actual cardio behind it all. All of which Conor looked really really bad in, relative to the fact that in 2 weeks time he is going to be in a boxing ring with Floyd Mayweather. Not any average athlete or fitness programme instructor.

Splitting hairs with what I have typed......

It's not splitting hairs. It called specificity.

If you meant he was 'about to' cross his hands all along, well then you shouldn't have said that he did cross his hands.
    You can see his hands, palms down moving towards each other at the end of the video. This in boxing is to signal a "no knockdown" and Cortex was hired to replicate a fight fully. The video gets cut just before they fully cross over each other (this I suspect is to fit Dana Whites goal of making it look like a knockdown).

If it was a knockdown, Cortez would have given the standing 8 count. Thats what he was there to do.

Paulie said on his podcasts that there was not the case.
    I am suspect of it being a knockdown as well as there were no clean punches landed before it either.

Punches don't have to be clean to have a knockdown.

End of the day, doesn't really matter what Cortez did or didn't do as it was a clear knockdown given that Paulie had just swallowed a straight right down the pipe (as he himself was throwing a weak right) which is why he slumped forwards, knees bent and arms flailing........ Conor's tried to follow up with a left (but missed) and that was the only reason his left arm was on top of Paulie's head....... but he was going down anyway.

The notion that Conor pushed Paulie down with his left arm and that caused Paulie's knees to buckle and his arms to flail is laughable.

Clear knockdown... not even close to being a push.
    Que more outrage from the fanboys.

Ah here we go, you've been shown to be wrong and now out comes the "fanboy" nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

darced wrote: »
    He was really tired in the last and didn't throw for large parts. I would be slightly concerned about the cardio, I would have said he shouldn't be breaking sweat doing 12 on the bag. I am going to throw 250 for a few rounds tomorrow to see whats up:)

Without knowing your fitness level I would hazard a guess you don't get into Rd 4. 250 punches a round is 1 punch every .72 seconds. And remember, Conor was doing plenty of moving in each round too.

• Advertisement

Gintonious, I think you are reaching spectacularly here thinking Cortez was calling no knockdown. It's a clear knockdown, to me Cortez puts his right hand out to signal to McGregor not to approach any further, seek out a neutral corner. The left hand comes out to signal to Paulie that the fight is stopped. Have a look at the original photo. If he was signalling no knockdown there is no way his left hand would be so slow to be raised. It would react pretty much in unison with the motion of his right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Gintonious, I think you are reaching spectacularly here thinking Cortez was calling no knockdown. It's a clear knockdown, to me Cortez puts his right hand out to signal to McGregor not to approach any further, seek out a neutral corner. The left hand comes out to signal to Paulie that the fight is stopped. Have a look at the original photo. If he was signalling no knockdown there is no way his left hand would be so slow to be raised. It would react pretty much in unison with the motion of his right.

You cannot analyse such a short clip of a fight. Dana is a total dickhead, either you release the whole fight and let the analysts pour over it or you don't release anything.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    You cannot analyse such a short clip of a fight. Dana is a total dickhead, either you release the whole fight and let the analysts pour over it or you don't release anything.

As robin black explained in his video. Yes it's some edited clips but what happened happened. Full stop. The segments we see are unedited

cloudatlas wrote: »

Of course you release the clip, it's unbelievable marketing.

To release the whole spar 2 weeks before the fight would be ridiculous. Here you go Floyd and Co, have a great 36 minutes of footage to look at a large part of what McGregor has been working on. Come on, seriously. This 'release the full footage' requests are nonsense. Give me one good reason why they should do so before August 27th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

gilmour wrote: »
    Ah come on now Wonder, its an impressive feat to throw that many punches for anyone fitness wise but when you are talking about coming up against an elite boxer in 2 weeks time you have to have a higher standard. The quantity of the punches is not what you're looking for, its how they're thrown, the quality and snap behind them, the movement into and out of the punch (his elbows were wide chin up) and then the actual cardio behind it all. All of which Conor looked really really bad in, relative to the fact that in 2 weeks time he is going to be in a boxing ring with Floyd Mayweather. Not any average athlete or fitness programme instructor.

Chael covered the Open Workout for ESPN and says he was seriously impressed by Conor, says he looked 'awesome' and pushed a lot harder than Floyd in his workout. Also says Conor throws awkward weird combinations that Floyd will have never seen before.

Also says Kenny Florian and Bisping told him back in late 2013 that Conor would be world champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Conor was holding his head down , also Paulie fell back while trying to straighten up and get his head away.
    If it's a knockdown it's a knockdown.
    What it isn't is a knockdown from Anything meaningful connecting and dropping paulie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Chael covered the Open Workout for ESPN and says he was seriously impressed by Conor, says he looked 'awesome' and pushed a lot harder than Floyd in his workout. Also says Conor throws awkward weird combinations that Floyd will have never seen before.

Also says Kenny Florian and Bisping told him back in late 2013 that Conor would be world champion.

Ok so my eyes are completely and utterly lying to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Does it really matter if it was an official knock down or not? get over it lads

I will say quite confidently McGregor will give Mayweather more trouble than Canelo did, one the easiest fights of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Did Conor do the open workout with 8oz gloves and Floyd do his in 16oz?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement