Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gamebred wrote: »
    Does it really matter if it was an official knock down or not? get over it lads

I will say quite confidently McGregor will give Mayweather more trouble than Canelo did, one the easiest fights of his career.

I could be wrong but Canelo's body language in that fight was of a man freezing on the biggest stage. Just my opinion.

Conor will rise to the occasion. In fact, the bigger the occasion the bigger the performance he puts in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Of course you release the clip, it's unbelievable marketing.

To release the whole spar 2 weeks before the fight would be ridiculous. Here you go Floyd and Co, have a great 36 minutes of footage to look at a large part of what McGregor has been working on. Come on, seriously. This 'release the full footage' requests are nonsense. Give me one good reason why they should do so before August 27th?

Well then don't release it at all. No use out of context. There is something back handed about this kind of release of photos and videos out of all context and without footage and I think this regardless of the fact that Pauli is a massive idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Well then don't release it at all. No use out of context. There is something back handed about this kind of release of photos and videos out of all context and without footage and I think this regardless of the fact that Pauli is a massive idiot.

It's called promotion. They are promoting a fight. An 0-0 boxer is taking on someone many consider the GOAT. A high percentage of fans doubt his ability to even step into the same ring. When he puts a former two time world boxing champ on his ass in sparring, you better believe that raises eyebrows and tempts many more people to buy the ppv.

It happened, they are not telling lies, so what exactly is back handed and out of context?

Deedsie wrote: »
    The use of releasing a snippet is that people like you are talking about it.

I suspect it's for people who think a small snippet of footage is enough not for people who want context or enough footage for analysis.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/896483710442328066

He's still going, have never seen someone react as bad as this in my life this could be career suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

well folks...mission accomplished...conor has already won. i'd like to thank the boxing community for getting sand in their vaginas and boosting conors profile into the stratosphere...well done everyone!!! the fight result is now secondary....

Will he fight paulie now after this?.....no i doubt he gives a f** about paulie, he's served his purpose!!

He's still going, have never seen someone react as bad as this in my life this could be career suicide.

He's making Ryan Lochte look like a beacon of truth.

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/896483710442328066

He completely ignores the question he is asked in that tweet.... so why even bother replying to them.

• Advertisement

Nope it's for people like you, You'll talk **** about it and make it more interesting for other people who want you proven wrong or right or both. Regardless releasing the snippet worked very well from a promotional point of view

What would I be proven wrong or right about, wtf are you talking about. just said it can't be analysed because there isn't enough footage just two short clips a a few seconds long out of a 12 and an 8 round spar. It's for people like you who like edited information spoon fed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

You'd know most of the comments from people here are from armchair analysts and fanboys who've never spent a second in a spar/fight/ring

Conor was pushing his head down..Paulies movement confirms it..its physics.. Paulie was attempting to come back around but when his head hit the lowest point force was pushed against it..any person who actually knows about body mechanics can see this..slow motion replay it's even clearer

Did he catch Paulie with some good shots? Certainly...and looks like he damn near swallowed his straight left at one point ... But did he drop him with a punch? No

And id be inclined to say those 36 mins if we ever see them will be these two knocking lumps out of each other... As both are claiming they battered the other

As always, the truth most like lies in the middle

You're not getting it. You'll never get it, so I am done trying to explain what the actual purpose of releasing the footage was.

What don't I get? I prefer to see all the footage before I make up my mind simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

The body mechanics of a push... require you to push, I didn't see that in that video. I saw a guy scrambling, lose his composure and end up arse over tit...

In any boxing match that was a knockdown, to argue otherwise just shows blind bias

You saw like everyone else.. Exactly what you wanted to see

If you'd any clue you'd see Mcgregor press DOWN on Paulie as he attempted to come back up.. That punch did not send him down, as if it did.. He would not be able to move like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

pone2012 wrote: »
    You'd know most of the comments from people here are from armchair analysts and fanboys who've never spent a second in a spar/fight/ring

Conor was pushing his head down..Paulies movement confirms it..its physics.. Paulie was attempting to come back around but when his head hit the lowest point force was pushed against it..any person who actually knows about body mechanics can see this..slow motion replay it's even clearer

Did he catch Paulie with some good shots? Certainly...and looks like he damn near swallowed his straight left at one point ... But did he drop him with a punch? No

And id be inclined to say those 36 mins if we ever see them will be these two knocking lumps out of each other... As both are claiming they battered the other

As always, the truth most like lies in the middle

Why should I or anyone else listen to you. Are you a known/proven fighter? If not relax the kacks and enjoy the show. You war witnessing sporting history. Just enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'm absolutely of the pro Mcgregor/fanboi/nuthugger parish. But I'm not convinced of a knockdown. Certainly Paulie is getting worked in the exchange, but it seems to me it's part contact/part scramble/part being off kilter/ something of a lean or pressure from Conor... But that straight left in the other clip! Damn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's game over for Floyd Joy Mayweather Jr now! 49-1.

pone2012 wrote: »
    If you'd any clue you'd see Mcgregor press DOWN on Paulie as he attempted to come back up.. That punch did not send him down, as if it did.. He would not be able to move like that..

Your problem is that you have clearly watched it in slow motion (which is fine when trying to get the bearings on what happened) but the punch didn't happen in slow motion, it happened in real time.

Think of it this way: if you get footage of a car hitting a pedestrian at 80mph and slow it right down, it too will look as if the car is pushing the pedestrian at the point of impact..... doesn't mean it is though.

If you watch the gif below I think it gives a more sense of what happened than you do from just watching the slow mo.

Also, I noticed from reading twitter and the like today that people are just focusing on the left Conor threw (which perhaps clips the top of Paulie's head) but BEFORE that Conor threw a right and THAT'S the punch which hurt Paulie............. and you can even see the glove appear to the left of Conor's head briefly as he follows through.

Paulie's follows through himself with a right cross that he was throwing just as he was hit but his body goes limp mid way through, his arms flail and he begins to go down........and again, that is BEFORE Conor misses with his left and his arm comes together with the back of Paulies head.........

No push.

giphy.gif

lol Paulie is snapping. This is so funny. Poor guy :P (he's right though).

https://twitter.com/kyndigs/status/896553912240570368
    https://twitter.com/AitamiHM/status/896558000382648320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You know counters aren't used to count round numbers, right?

You know that? Like I've you've ever been in a boxing club or bjj/MMA gym you would know that. It's a pretty basic thing.

They time rounds. So either there was 11 minutes and 0 seconds left in the round, minutes in white, seconds in red, or it wasn't actually in use, or it might have just been displaying the time.

It's a 4 digit display. If the round is being shown it would be the the small number in the top left hand corner of the display which you can't make out.

• Advertisement

Jesus, take a break will ya :rolleyes:

I was saying the guy was right about there being a screen with the number 11 on it and Paulie was wrong making fun of him for suggesting there was one.

Anyway, Paulie apologized to him in the end.

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/896590747243347969

I see he has also complimented McGregor on that left too.... he's softening.

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/896592694448984064

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It might actually be a 6 digit display.

If it is whoever hung it needs to get the tape out and centre it.

It might actually be a 6 digit display.

If it is whoever hung it needs to get the tape out and centre it.

The exit sign is covering the other digits. If you look closely you can see the bottom right of the screen just under part of the exit sign. So it may very well be counting rounds and minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

https://twitter.com/bipsing/status/896496499583995904

Thought this was brilliant (I'm aware it's a fake account)

https://twitter.com/bipsing/status/896496499583995904

Thought this was brilliant (I'm aware it's a fake account)

:D:D That's gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It's not splitting hairs. It called specificity.

If you meant he was 'about to' cross his hands all along, well then you shouldn't have said that he did cross his hands.

Paulie said on his podcasts that there was not the case.

Punches don't have to be clean to have a knockdown.

End of the day, doesn't really matter what Cortez did or didn't do as it was a clear knockdown given that Paulie had just swallowed a straight right down the pipe (as he himself was throwing a weak right) which is why he slumped forwards, knees bent and arms flailing........ Conor's tried to follow up with a left (but missed) and that was the only reason his left arm was on top of Paulie's head....... but he was going down anyway.

The notion that Conor pushed Paulie down with his left arm and that caused Paulie's knees to buckle and his arms to flail is laughable.

Clear knockdown... not even close to being a push.

Ah here we go, you've been shown to be wrong and now out comes the "fanboy" nonsense.

You are on a different level when it comes to this type of delusion.

You think that right was enough to wobble Paulie? It was basically a jab, Im glad you can at least see that his left misses and thats why it ended up on his head.

What I see is a knackered Paulie feeling the slightest pull on his head and down he goes, simple as that. He gave up cause he was bolloxed at that stage.

If you think that is a clear knockdown then you need to get the glasses checked, watch Lomas fight from last weekend to see clear knockdowns from clean punches, not sloppy ones like we have seen in the video.

If it was a clear knockdown, why no standing count? Remember, Conor has Cortez in there to replicate a full fight scenario. You don't see one cause he is calling it a no knockdown.

You call me delusional and yet you're suggesting the only reason Paulie went down is because McGregor was slightly, and very fcuking briefly, leaning / making contact with Paulie's neck with his arm...... dude his whole body changes after McGregor throws that right.... he caught him with it, no question. Why the hell would Paulie go down like he did if McGregor just leaned on him for a fraction of a second with his arm?? Come on man :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

So in percentage terms, what do people mean when they say McGregor has 'some chance' or 'no chance'. I can't see the bookies offering 2/9 on Mayweather if Mayweather had much more than an 80% chance of winning.

If Mayweather had, say, a 95% chance of winning, then there would be a lot of smart money piling onto Mayweather at 2/9 and the bookies would lose their shirt on these bets, forcing the line to move and reflect his real chances.

I put a few quid on McGregor at 6/1. I also bet that the fight would finish in round 2,3, or 4, with either fighter winning. I also bet that the fight won't happen on August 26th, but now that the date is getting closer, I think an injury to either fighter is less likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So in percentage terms, what do people mean when they say McGregor has 'some chance' or 'no chance'. I can't see the bookies offering 2/9 on Mayweather if Mayweather had much more than an 80% chance of winning.

If Mayweather had, say, a 95% chance of winning, then there would be a lot of smart money piling onto Mayweather at 2/9 and the bookies would lose their shirt on these bets, forcing the line to move and reflect his real chances.

I put a few quid on McGregor at 5/1. I also bet that the fight would finish in round 2,3, or 4, with either fighter winning. I also bet that the fight won't happen on August 26th, but now that the date is getting closer, I think an injury to either fighter is less likely.

0%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement