Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

0%

And offfffffff we go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor should be between 10-1 and 16-1...... his odds are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You call me delusional and yet you're suggesting the only reason Paulie went down is because McGregor was slightly, and very fcuking briefly, leaning / making contact with Paulie's neck with his arm...... dude his whole body changes after McGregor throws that right.... he caught him with it, no question. Why the hell would Paulie go down like he did if McGregor just leaned on him for a fraction of a second with his arm?? Come on man :P

Im not suggesting that thats the only reason he went down, like I said before, he was bolloxed tired and the slightest feel gave him a reason to go down.

That right was a jab at best in terms of power, sure Paulie took that whopper left and stayed standing, so you think a right like that is gonna floor him or give him trouble?

Give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You know counters aren't used to count round numbers, right?

You know that? Like I've you've ever been in a boxing club or bjj/MMA gym you would know that. It's a pretty basic thing.

They time rounds. So either there was 11 minutes and 0 seconds left in the round, minutes in white, seconds in red, or it wasn't actually in use, or it might have just been displaying the time.

It's a 4 digit display. If the round is being shown it would be the the small number in the top left hand corner of the display which you can't make out.
    I think the exit sign is obscuring half the clock. The blue numbers are rounds and the red are the time. We're a similar one in our gym. We never have the round numbers counting though. I'm lucky if I can get time to start/stop when I want it to

edit: Just to be clear. I'm not saying the clock means it was the 11th. Maybe they started it in rd1, maybe not. Everything is guesswork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Mellor wrote: »
    I think the exit sign is obscuring half the clock. The blue numbers are rounds and the red are the time. We're a similar one in our gym. We never have the round numbers counting though. I'm lucky if I can get time to start/stop when I want it to

But but... he said it in such a certain condescending way so he can't be wrong... can he... :rolleyes:

Paulie himself said Conor's best work came in rounds 11 and 12 so I don't see why we've got reasons to doubt it.

That sparring footage has become like the Zapruder JFK analysis :pac:

I said it on the boxing thread but one thing we can deduce is that Conor looked fresh in the 11th and 12th rounds. If Paulie was butchering his body all session (as he claimed he was) you'd have expected to see Conor lethargic in the late rounds. So either 1) Conor can take good body shots or 2) Paulie was fibbing again.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    Im not suggesting that thats the only reason he went down, like I said before, he was bolloxed tired and the slightest feel gave him a reason to go down.

That right was a jab at best in terms of power, sure Paulie took that whopper left and stayed standing, so you think a right like that is gonna floor him or give him trouble?

Give over.

He caught him behind the ear. It was a punch and he went down. Innocuous punches often drop opponents. Look at Conor v Poirier. Look at (the best example) this:

This "punch" looks like a love-tap to the ear yet it put him asleep. It's often innocuous looking shots that put fighters down. Funny enough most fighters will eat a hard straight left to the nose easier than they can take a fidgety little slap behind the ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

He caught him behind the ear. It was a punch and he went down. Innocuous punches often drop opponents. Look at Conor v Poirier. Look at (the best example) this:

This "punch" looks like a love-tap to the ear yet it put him asleep. It's often innocuous looking shots that put fighters down. Funny enough most fighters will eat a hard straight left to the nose easier than they can take a fidgety little slap behind the ear.

Thats with 4oz gloves and no headgear so yeah that would happen

An innocuous punch in headgear and 16oz gloves? You don't even see any impact through his body from behind, and from the other angle it looks like a miss or a glance at best, and again, a glance in headgear and 16oz gloves, even a glancing blow from Tyson in the same sort of set up wouldn't put someone down.

It's a tired fighter going down from a pull from the back of his head, it is not a knockdown from a punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

As a former regional boxing champion (amatuer) with a record of 9 - 4 - 2 I have to say, from my perspective, Artem Lobov is the P4P GOAT of combat sports, nay sports in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement

It's a tired fighter going down from a pull from the back of his head, it is not a knockdown from a punch.

Paulie starts to go down BEFORE McGregor's left arm is near the back of his neck ffs!

Look at Paulie's body BEFORE Conor throws the right... and then immediately AFTER

As Paulie is attempting to throw a right his body suddenly bends, totally misses with his weak right, and his arms flail...... he was caught with thr right McGregor throw, that's why!

Either that or someone shot him with a pellet gun.

And again, that's BEFORE Conor's left arm comes anywhere near the back of Paulie's neck!

giphy.gif

Not saying that the right was that powerful, but it was clearly enough to take whatever Paulie had left from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

xtal191 wrote: »

Stitch Duran was never my friend

Lukker- wrote: »
    Stitch Duran was never my friend

ha!

It's such a misleading headline.

If you watch the video what he actually says is that John approached him at Bellator while James Gallagher was fighting, that both Conor & John wanted him in the corner but *someone* said "you're too expensive". That *someone* was a former UFC lawyer who is representing Paradigm. Stitch said John texted him to apologize and said they all wanted him and Stitch implies that Dana White didn't want him working in the UFC PI and basically in not-so-many-words blames Dana for ruining a great opportunity for him.

Paulie starts to go down BEFORE McGregor's left arm is near the back of his neck ffs!

Look at Paulie's body BEFORE Conor throws the right... and then immediately AFTER

As Paulie is attempting to throw a right his body suddenly bends, totally misses with his weak right, and his arms flail...... he was caught with thr right McGregor throw, that's why!

Either that or someone shot him with a pellet gun.

And again, that's BEFORE Conor's left arm comes anywhere near the back of Paulie's neck!

giphy.gif

Not saying that the right was that powerful, but it was clearly enough to take whatever Paulie had left from him.

From the other angle you can see he was moving in that direction, and thats where he loses his balance and where Conor misses with the left and keeps it on his head.

You can see from the behind angle that Paulie is trying to throw a right and move at the same time because the left is coming at him, thats when the glove ends up behind his head and he is pulled down and he just gives up. You can even hear it in the slow-mo video, all the other punches and were thrown before it make a nice loud noise, but the left makes nothing.

Here is the video that you posted about it before!

ha!

It's such a misleading headline.

If you watch the video what he actually says is that John approached him at Bellator while James Gallagher was fighting, that both Conor & John wanted him in the corner but *someone* said "you're too expensive". That *someone* was a former UFC lawyer who is representing Paradigm. Stitch said John texted him to apologize and said they all wanted him and Stitch implies that Dana White didn't want him working in the UFC PI and basically in not-so-many-words blames Dana for ruining a great opportunity for him.

The whole Stitch situation was really sad, I knew well he wouldn't be allowed near though, UFC still have a good deal of control over Conor.

The whole Stitch situation was really sad, I knew well he wouldn't be allowed near though, UFC still have a good deal of control over Conor.

Dana holds a grudge worse than anyone I've ever seen it's borderline sociopathic - the only exceptions are if you can actually make him money! If you're a cut-man, journalist, coach, ref he'll hold a grudge for life because you can't make him cash.

Stitch is right though his experience could have proved vital on the big night. No disrespect to Tommy McCormack, I'm sure he's good at his job, but he'll have never worked an occasion of that magnitude or anywhere even close to it. Stitch has been in huge fights with Andre Ward and Klitcshko.

Mind you Stitch did stick the boot in at the end of that video calling SBG "an amateur team".

Dana holds a grudge worse than anyone I've ever seen it's borderline sociopathic - the only exceptions are if you can actually make him money! If you're a cut-man, journalist, coach, ref he'll hold a grudge for life because you can't make him cash.

Stitch is right though his experience could have proved vital on the big night. No disrespect to Tommy McCormack, I'm sure he's good at his job, but he'll have never worked an occasion of that magnitude or anywhere even close to it. Stitch has been in huge fights with Andre Ward and Klitcshko.

Mind you Stitch did stick the boot in at the end of that video calling SBG "an amateur team".

Tbh he was overselling himself a bit, he's a cut man he's not gonna be influencing gameplan regardless of what he said. I'm sure he'd bring some sage wisdom and would be a good person to have around, but Conor elevates Tommy McCormack big time by doing this and that's good too.

Tbh he was overselling himself a bit, he's a cut man he's not gonna be influencing gameplan regardless of what he said. I'm sure he'd bring some sage wisdom and would be a good person to have around, but Conor elevates Tommy McCormack big time by doing this and that's good too.

Also I think the fact Stitch told John "I'll be a good guy to have around for the mental side of it and able to spot things that need correcting" probably worked against him big time.

Rightly or wrongly, I don't think John & Conor are too open to outsiders, especially cutmen, coming in trying to be a coach... many would say it'd be a great thing to have a Freddie Roach and Stitch Duran in the camp but obviously the team feel differently.

Roach did a good job of talking himself out of the role anyways. I doubt they would work well together anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Conor and John have managed to be pretty successfull with their way of doing things so I think they deserve a pass when it comes to decision making regarding sparring partners and corner men for this fight imo

• Advertisement

how.gareth wrote: »
    Conor and John have managed to be pretty successfull with their way of doing things so I think they deserve a pass when it comes to decision making regarding sparring partners and corner men for this fight imo

Yep.

My favourite Conor-statistic is he has never lost a fight he had more than 30 days notice of opponent. All 3 guys he lost to in MMA were on less than 30 days notice.

It bodes well for anyone hopeful he can put in a good performance against Floyd that he has had so long to prepare for him mentally, visually, physically. Roddy said they have watched "hundreds of hours" of tape on Floyd, so they certainly won't be beaten due to lack of homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

If I have my tv and internet through virgin, can I still order the fight ?

You can see from the behind angle that Paulie is trying to throw a right and move at the same time because the left is coming at him....

Yes, but he has just been hit with a right to the chops at that point, which is why he wildly missed with his own right. He showed clear signs of being off balance and that was all before Conor's left glove had come anywhere near him.
    ....thats when the glove ends up behind his head and he is pulled down and he just gives up.

Again, Paulie was already flailing before that. Eating the right clearly disorientated him and that's why he gave up, as just having Conor's glove on the back of his neck was too much for him at that stage. The chap gassed out. Calling it a pull down is ridiculous.

giphy.gif

You can even hear it in the slow-mo video, all the other punches and were thrown before it make a nice loud noise, but the left makes nothing.

Yes they do, Gintonious, yes they do...... I think that's what they call an own goal :P

Yes, but he has just been hit with a right to the chops at that point, which is why he wildly missed with his own right. He showed clear signs of being off balance and that was all before Conor's left glove had come anywhere near him.

Again, Paulie was already flailing before that. Eating the right clearly disorientated him and that's why he gave up, as just having Conor's glove on the back of his neck was too much for him at that stage. The chap gassed out. Calling it a pull down is ridiculous.

giphy.gif

Yes they do, Gintonious, yes they do...... I think that's what they call an own goal :P

Enjoy my friend. :)

Someone (not me) counted the punches from Conor's workout.

Pretty impressive stuff to do that in 36 minutes from a conditioning perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Was it you who counted them m8?

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Was it you who counted them m8?

Honestly not for that video but I did count a few rounds myself. It's like counting sheep but less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

Great post.

On a slight tangent, I've been accused (at last count) by 5 different posters of "living vicariously through Conor" and 2 posters implied that I might be the type of crazy-stalker to inflict violence on him/JK. The other day someone said "well why don't you go try achieve greatness in your own life instead of living through him" and while my initial reaction was "not this sh1t again", I did a bit of thinking about it.

Part of why Conor inspires me so much is that it was far easier for him to give up on his dreams than to chase them. When he was up in Donegal fighting Paddy Doherty or over in Portlaoise fighting Sowinski, I'm sure the UFC looked an impossible dream. For the first 5 years of his journey in MMA, 14 contests, he probably made a financial loss from fighting. I've no doubt in my mind he had people in his ear constantly telling him to give up that stupid fighting and get a 'real job' and still, he stuck at it.

The other side of that coin is the day after he knocked Paddy Doherty unconscious in 4 seconds, he reached out to Paddy, asked him was he feeling ok and if he'd ever like to come down to Dublin to train he'd be more than welcome.

After every victory or defeat, Conor has consistently shown empathy, compassion and humility for others. The images of him picking himself off the deck after the Diaz fight and how he handled a setback in life should be just as inspiring to us as how he handled his victory over Doherty.

People on here try to embarrass and shame me for being such a "fanboy" of Conor's but the truth is the first word in "living vicariously" is "living". Just like Conor was being told to give up on his dream, for a long time I've had parts of my brain telling me to just 'give up' completely.

I'm grateful to have a passion and to draw inspiration to persevere and truck onwards. Achieving greatness is a very subjective thing but right now, for me, it's just living :)

I really hope he beats Floyd on August 26th because if he does it won't be because he lands a lucky left hook - it'll be because he refused to quit on his dreams, never stopped believing in himself and never stopping working as hard as he could to achieve them.

That's the message we should be teaching our children.

dont give up enjoy your life
    we are all lucky to be here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If I have my tv and internet through virgin, can I still order the fight ?

I don't have a TV, but I have decent broadband. I plan on ordering it to watch on my laptop, from Now TV. I have my fingers crossed that I wasn't misled by their customer service on twitter. Here's the conversation I had with them:

Me: Is it possible to watch Mayweather-McGregor, on a laptop, with good broadband? In Ireland - Don't have a TV or any kind of TV service.

Them: Thanks for getting in touch. Do you have NOW TV at the moment?

Me: No.

Them:
    If you purchase a NOW TV box here is how you can watch Sky Box office with it :
    https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/can-i-watch-sky-sports-box-office-events-on-now-tv

Me: Do I need a box though? The link you sent me seems to say otherwise. Again, I don't have a TV.

Them: You can watch on a PC or Mac by ordering using the link in the help article.

• Advertisement

Enjoy my friend. :)

Well, firstly, love that guys vids, his 'What really happened' ones are always worth a watch....

However, I'm not really sure why you're posting that vid to back up your view McGregor pulled Paulie down, as he doesn't (necessarily at least) agree with you, or to be more to the point...... more of what he says could be used to support my view of what happened, than yours. A few examples:

At 1m32 he says:
    "Conor takes a side step to the right and throws a jab......"

and at 1m40 he says that it landed and at 2m30 (speaking about Paulie's right hook) he says:
    "Paulie extends to the right as he threw his right hand and by doing that he lost his footing"

So, he's now saying that Paulie's been hit by a jab and now as he throws a right is showing signs of being off balance and this is all BEFORE Conor's left glove even touches the back of Paulie's head............. ......

At 2m08 he says (regarding that last left hook Conor threw:
    "Now I don't know if it skid past the headgear, and might have connected just for a second......"

So now he's even adding the possibility that left might have clipped Conor too!

Now, while I personally don't think that left landed, the fact that he is saying that left might have connected, just further weakens the view that Paulie lost his balance and footing because Conor was pulling/pushing him down.

To sum up: he admits Paulie eat a jab, showed signs of being unsteady right after that as he threw a right hook which missed and that he might have been clipped by Conor's left...... and all this was obviously before that left glove began "pulling" or "pushing" Paulies head............. but yet we're supposed to dismiss all that went before that and just see it is as Conor pushing / pulling him to the ground.

To cap it all off, at 2m58 he says:
    "It's not really a push though"

Let's be honest, the guy is all over the place with mights and maybes. One minute he says that he doesn't think it should be seen as a knockdown, the next he is saying things which support the view that it should be seen as just that.

End of the day, but for McGregor landing shots, Paulie wouldn't have lost his footing....... and if gassing and losing your balance negates or nullifies knockdowns that wouldn't have happened if that fighter wasn't gassed or unsteady, then there are a whole heap of famous knockdowns that we'd have to go back and strike from the records that were similarly messy.

Knockdown, no knockdown, doesn't really matter though....... what matters is that this guys made up a bull**** reason for leaving the camp and said that he was pushed down because he was beating the breaks off McGregor and he couldn't handle it so resorted to pushing him down out of frustration...... all of which is a load of bollox. He still maintains he won that round by the way.

Anyway, one thing which I don't think has gotten enough attention is just how much power Conor seemed to have after sparring for 12 Rounds. Now I know Paulie is a fat, ex pro etc etc, but I think it's still pretty impressive to be throwing this kind of shot in Round 12, even against the now obese magic man.

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement