Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Gamebred wrote: »
    A bully hahahahahahahahahah

Funniest thing ive read on here and that takes some doing congrats snowflake,

again your strong opinions hold very little merit talk a big game yet no balls to back it up, i'll leave it at that and block you so I dont have to see the tripe posted by you cheers.

If you plan to stay using this forum then give it a rest and adjust your attitude towards people. This is not your first warning, there is only so many you will be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Might be annoying, but is it going to maybe push someone over the edge and back into a destructive habit?? Would you push an alcoholic to have just one beer??

I didn't say I agreed with it, I said it was annoying TOO.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm a massive McGregor fan. Massive boxing and MMA fan. - Still hate the fight and everything it stands for. Still think McGregor will get humiliated in the ring (not money or fame-wise obviously).

I initially hated the fight, cynical in the extreme. But it's happening. And it's the first time I've actually gotten caught up in the run up, I normally watch a snippet here or there, and more than likely miss the fight itself. Watching it, and the spectacle itself is fantastically entertaining.

My honest opinion on the fight is thus: Mayweather wins. I've no idea whether it's points or TKO, very unlikely to be a KO. But I want to see if McGregor can actually pull something out of the bag.
    walshb wrote: »
    Ok,

so no McGregor v Mayweather thread on the MMA forum....

Am I ok to maybe post on this?

Do what ye want, I'm not a mod.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Deedsie wrote: »
    Not everyone gambles you know. Some people can enjoy sport for the spectacle.

Theres no risk though its easy according to these people talking a big game he wont land a single punch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,611 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Theres no risk though its easy according to these people talking a big game he wont land a single punch....

Of course there is risk...

Injury being one, and a KO punch being another...

• Advertisement

Of course there is risk...

Injury being one, and a KO punch being another...

A ko punch? but he wont land a single punch hes a novice how could he ko him its a total mismatch im reading? he wont last 6 rounds according to these people with strong convictions, leads me to believe they dont actually believe their opinions that strongly as they pretend to.

Deedsie wrote: »
    What are you talking about? There is no risk? Let them talk whatever way they want, are you the talk police?

Gambling is not a sensible thing to do and to belittle someone who doesnt gamble for daring to have an opinion on something and not backing it up with evidence of putting money on it is stupid.

You seem irked lol

Dont talk in such certainties if you cant back it up, these are empty predictions that people are spouting out, I've seen one person post a bet on here on Floyd TKO the rest are complete mouths that are giving McGregor zero chance yet refuse to back it up because they know deep down hes got a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Having an opinion isnt talking a big game.

I wouldnt put a bet on this fight myself so should i have confidence in any opinion i formed? I hope mcgregor ko's the woman beater but logic/evidence tells me mayweather should win, handily.

Wonderffullife is of the opinion mcgregor wins and good luck to him and his convictions, i don't think he gambles but it doesnt detract his opinion on how he sees it going nor do i think he is talking a big game as he has no money on it.

Mcgregor is an unknown quantity boxing wise so someone doesnt need to put money on mayweather to 100% believe he easily wins this one on points as evidence (as little as there is) would suggest that is the most likely outcome. Same for those who believe mcgregor is an outlierwho can actually pull this off.

How often do you post up your bets to back up what you are saying?

If someone refuses to take on a bet, it should be end of story.

Goading someone about taking/not taking a bet is nothing to do with someones "Conviction."

A ko punch? but he wont land a single punch hes a novice how could he ko him its a total mismatch im reading? he wont last 6 rounds according to these people with strong convictions, leads me to believe they dont actually believe their opinions that strongly as they pretend to.

It's highly unlikely he lands a KO shot. Highly....

I am not a gambler, but even if I was I wouldn't put on a large sum of money on this bout

It's a two horse race with punches being thrown. It's too risky to be putting on large amounts of money that you cannot afford to lose, even if you are quite confident of the winner....

I strongly believe my opinions and predictions on the winner, but I wouldn't gamble any significant money on it. Does that mean I don't really have confidence in my pick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ah gamebred, just ****ing give over about the gambling. Nobody gives a ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Might be annoying, but is it going to maybe push someone over the edge and back into a destructive habit?? Would you push an alcoholic to have just one beer??
    Wasn't it only yesterday what that somebody quoted your post where you were goading a poster offering him 500/1 on some bet?

Of course, you also ran off with yourbtail between you legs when people accepted. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

The gambling angle is strange . I've heard this mentioned a lot of times .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Anybody in any field that has achieved some status of note or a position of preeminence is, by rights, liable to criticism and detraction and so on. This is no bad thing, of course. That said, there's a quote that comes to mind often when I'm reading this thread, along the lines of, 'the pleasure in critising takes from the pleasure of being moved by things...'

Sure, his talents may well be better served in MMA. Maybe he is in way over his head - that remains to be seen. On paper it does certainly read that way.

Nevertheless, just think of the spectacle of one of own, walking out, clad in boxing gear, stepping into a boxing ring against one of the all time greats, undoubtedly confident and ready to leave it all in there. Surely that makes even the most sceptical excited?

Meet your mates, have a load of cans or whatever else your having and enjoy it. For better or worse, It's not likely you'll ever relive such an event. I, for one, can't ****ing wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The gambling angle is strange . I've heard this mentioned a lot of times .

I don't think it's that strange. There are posters who claim that McGregor has zero chance (literally zero, not just hyperbole). If Mayweather winning is a certainty, then it's not even gambling to put money on him. I'm not advocating that people gamble though - I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to talk about certainties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Well, firstly, love that guys vids, his 'What really happened' ones are always worth a watch....

However, I'm not really sure why you're posting that vid to back up your view McGregor pulled Paulie down, as he doesn't (necessarily at least) agree with you, or to be more to the point...... more of what he says could be used to support my view of what happened, than yours. A few examples:

At 1m32 he says:

and at 1m40 he says that it landed and at 2m30 (speaking about Paulie's right hook) he says:

So, he's now saying that Paulie's been hit by a jab and now as he throws a right is showing signs of being off balance and this is all BEFORE Conor's left glove even touches the back of Paulie's head............. ......

At 2m08 he says (regarding that last left hook Conor threw:

So now he's even adding the possibility that left might have clipped Conor too!

Now, while I personally don't think that left landed, the fact that he is saying that left might have connected, just further weakens the view that Paulie lost his balance and footing because Conor was pulling/pushing him down.

To sum up: he admits Paulie eat a jab, showed signs of being unsteady right after that as he threw a right hook which missed and that he might have been clipped by Conor's left...... and all this was obviously before that left glove began "pulling" or "pushing" Paulies head............. but yet we're supposed to dismiss all that went before that and just see it is as Conor pushing / pulling him to the ground.

To cap it all off, at 2m58 he says:

Let's be honest, the guy is all over the place with mights and maybes. One minute he says that he doesn't think it should be seen as a knockdown, the next he is saying things which support the view that it should be seen as just that.

End of the day, but for McGregor landing shots, Paulie wouldn't have lost his footing....... and if gassing and losing your balance negates or nullifies knockdowns that wouldn't have happened if that fighter wasn't gassed or unsteady, then there are a whole heap of famous knockdowns that we'd have to go back and strike from the records that were similarly messy.

Knockdown, no knockdown, doesn't really matter though....... what matters is that this guys made up a bull**** reason for leaving the camp and said that he was pushed down because he was beating the breaks off McGregor and he couldn't handle it so resorted to pushing him down out of frustration...... all of which is a load of bollox. He still maintains he won that round by the way.

Anyway, one thing which I don't think has gotten enough attention is just how much power Conor seemed to have after sparring for 12 Rounds. Now I know Paulie is a fat, ex pro etc etc, but I think it's still pretty impressive to be throwing this kind of shot in Round 12, even against the now obese magic man.

giphy.gif

He pushed DOWN on the back of his neck, and it does matter actually, because your boy, like his media circus clowns who follow him around are painting JUST as much a false picture as Paulie was...Ive said it before...I guarantee you those two beat the crap out of each other in that spar, it was never a one sided affair...you got a fraction of a glimpse that made it appear that way

Are you blind? Or just so engrossed in your McGregor man crush like the half the posters here that you are immune to objectivity. It goes against body mechanics to fall the way he did...he was coming up from a bob/weave movement and was stopped from completing the circular movement by ...Guess what...An arm pressing down on his neck.

The minute I seen this it was clear as day, and that was before Paulie even stated it

Take off the McGregor goggles please, and maybe...go to Specsavers

Armchair analysts and delusional who haven't ever actually been in real live sparring situations haven't a clue...Its as blatant as day and night.

I don't think it's that strange. There are posters who claim that McGregor has zero chance (literally zero, not just hyperbole). If Mayweather winning is a certainty, then it's not even gambling to put money on him. I'm not advocating that people gamble though - I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to talk about certainties.

I just dont know why gambling has to be brought into it though . A lot of people just aren't even into it .

The most stake i could get up a week before payday is around €100. To win €20 ? Pointless

Then i suppose i could get a loan and put €6000 on it to win €1000 . However what if he gets injured like David Haye .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Let's all hope is Conor is not killed in the ring like Apollo Creed was against Ivan Drago. It's a real possibility

I just dont know why gambling has to be brought into it though . A lot of people just aren't even into it .

The most stake i could get up a week before payday is around €100. To win €20 ? Pointless

Then i suppose i could get a loan and put €6000 on it to win €1000 . However what if he gets injured like David Haye .

I think it's obvious what point is being made by referring to gambling. It highlights the inconsistency in somebody's position if they say that Mayweather is a certainty (or even a 99%, 98% certainty) but they won't go onto Betfair and place a bet on it at 1/4 odds. They're practically turning down free money. Not being into gambling in that situation is like not being into free money. I'm not saying you're one of the 'certainty' people - I don't know what you think McGregor's exact chances are, though I gather you don't give him much of a chance.

Let's all hope is Conor is not killed in the ring like Apollo Creed was against Ivan Drago. It's a real possibility

It's a risk all boxers face every time they step in the ring. Some face it to a lot higher a possibility....

Conor could be a real sitting duck here. It doesn't take all that much force to cause head trauma.

If this fight goes a fair few rds and Floyd is performing then I'd expect him to be landing clean on Conor's head a fair bit...

10-15 clean enough head shots per rd over 5-6 rds ain't pretty...

• Advertisement

I think it's obvious what point is being made by referring to gambling. It highlights the inconsistency in somebody's position if they say that Mayweather is a certainty (or even a 99%, 98% certainty) but they won't go onto Betfair and place a bet on it at 1/4 odds. They're practically turning down free money. Not being into gambling in that situation is like not being into free money. I'm not saying you're one of the 'certainty' people - I don't know what you think McGregor's exact chances are, though I gather you don't give him much of a chance.

That's rubbish.....

Anyone placing money on this needs to realise that nothing is a certainty. The mere fact that this bout is going ahead and has been sanctioned, as well as all the greasy fingers in the tills regarding it should be enough to warn people not to be surprised how it could turn out, and throwing down money on it would be something I would not advise or encourage.

No shenanigans and Mayweather wins 99 times from 100...

To dismiss the possibility of injury or silly beggars would be very silly...

I would almost dismiss the KO possibility completely...

If someone gave me a 1000 euro now I wouldn't back/bet Mayweather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Well there's that film spoiled for me.

If it does go arseways, he should 100% be pulled out.

There's not one here that would want to see anyone get seriously hurt, and his corner needs to be ready to do it, even override Conor on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mellor wrote: »
    Wasn't it only yesterday what that somebody quoted your post where you were goading a poster offering him 500/1 on some bet?

Of course, you also ran off with yourbtail between you legs when people accepted. ;)

I offered the odds, someone accepted but wanted to see proof of funds, then wanted to swap the bet to 20c. I didn't goad anyone.

If it does go arseways, he should 100% be pulled out.

There's not one here that would want to see anyone get seriously hurt, and his corner needs to be ready to do it, even override Conor on it.

Problem being that you cannot guarantee that they get to him in time....

One punch can kill a man....

Mayweather isn't a concussive hitter, and I wonder if him not being is a little more "dangerous" should Conor be easily tagged?

I would be of the opinion that I'd give Conor three rds max, and if he is not really competitive, and is getting hit, then out he goes....

No point at all prolonging a beating for a man.....

It kind of asks the question of Floyd....

What sort of man would do what he is "potentially" going to do? Beat up on a complete novice....

It all adds to me thinking that a 12 rds dance may not be a bad bet here.

Because if not, then Floyd is a scummy individual should he get in there and beat up Conor...

What will Floyd feel should he be beating Conor at will? Will Floyd step back and take it easy out of human compassion, wave the referee in to save Conor? Even step away and refuse to take part.You just don't know....

In the pages and pages of this topic I think the human compassion side and human decency and gentleness side gets lost.

Even as tough and "barbaric" as sport that boxing can be, there is the human side to it....

That's rubbish.....

Anyone placing money on this needs to realise that nothing is a certainty. The mere fact that this bout is going ahead and has been sanctioned, as well as all the greasy fingers in the tills regarding it should be enough to warn people not to be surprised how it could turn out, and throwing down money on it would be something I would not advise or encourage.

No shenanigans and Mayweather wins 99 times from 100...

To dismiss the possibility of injury or silly beggars would be very silly...

I would almost dismiss the KO possibility completely...

If someone gave me a 1000 euro now I wouldn't back/bet Mayweather.

It's possible you don't understand gambling if you think its inadvisable to bet on a 99% certainty when you're getting odds that would be more appropriate for an 80% certainty. Or, you know at some level that you're not confident in your own estimate. It could be a bit of both.

So we are talking big money here . Big money and if FM gets injured is life changing . Small enough money is pointless really. Each to their own though

If it happens that he goes out in the first round, and gets absolutely luthered around the place, then call it early.

Can tell you one thing, I wouldn't like to be the person making that decision though.

Same for Floyd, if Conor goes out and hurts him, I mean really ****ing hurts him, he'll need to be prepared to throw in the towel as well.

• Advertisement

It's possible you don't understand gambling if you think its inadvisable to bet on a 99% certainty when you're getting odds that would be more appropriate for an 80% certainty. Or, you know at some level that you're not confident in your own estimate. It could be a bit of both.

I understand gambling perfectly well, and it is littered with upsets. That's all one needs to know.

It is also littered with shady dealings, cheating, corruption, deception etc etc....

That's all I need to know to realize that gambling on this is not something I'd advise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement