Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,611 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If it happens that he goes out in the first round, and gets absolutely luthered around the place, then call it early.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

walshb wrote: »
    Agreed.

And the other 2 sentences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It kind of asks the question of Floyd....

What sort of man would do what he is "potentially" going to do? Beat up on a complete novice....

It all adds to me thinking that a 12 rds dance may not be a bad bet here.

Because if not, then Floyd is a scummy individual should he get in there and beat up Conor...

What will Floyd feel should he be beating Conor at will? Will Floyd step back and take it easy out of human compassion, wave the referee in to save Conor? Even step away and refuse to take part.You just don't know....

In the pages and pages of this topic I think the human compassion side and human decency and gentleness side gets lost.

Even as tough and "barbaric" as sport that boxing can be, there is the human side to it....

I've seen it happen in sparring and even in fights where there is such a gulf in class that the better fighter just eases off the guy.

The thing is Floyd will be totally slammed if this goes the distance especially if it looks like he can end it before that, by the boxing fraternity most of all.

And the other 2 sentences?

Agreed on both...

Floyd is human too....:)

Ush1 wrote: »
    I've seen it happen in sparring and even in fights where there is such a gulf in class that the better fighter just eases off the guy.

The thing is Floyd will be totally slammed if this goes the distance especially if it looks like he can end it before that, by the boxing fraternity most of all.

If Floyd is seen to be taking pleasure with his dominance and enjoying it that cannot go down well with any half decent human being....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Deedsie wrote: »
    Is it your opinion that this forum is for professional boxers and their sparring parters to discuss boxing?

No its my opinion that people stop inventing false narratives when there is evidence to suggest otherwise...theres enough nonsense and false talk when it comes to this fight.....We dont need any more of it

And Fwiw, Im no professional, but im not blind or emotionally attached either, it is what is is

Regarding the knockdown.....

It was that poor or inconclusive that posting it meant nothing.....

It was a nothing knockdown, yet reading about it you'd swear it was Earnie Shavers Larry Holmes worthy!

I dont care what you are. You are boring and overly aggressive as far as I can see. You discuss it as you want and let others do the same. I dont agree with your interpretation of the video. I think you are the one creating false narratives.

No need to be so aggressive about it though. Its just a fight.

Im far from aggressive, but it is what it is...and there is no need nor excuse to present it than anything less than that

Fwiw I complemented Mcgregors making Paulie nearly swallow his fist in my original post, so im not rooting for anyone (unlike yourself)

Id expect nothing less from McGregors cheerleaders to be waving their pom poms and screaming at anyone who can actually see past the PR, marketing and hype..but a realistic discussion warrants a realistic outlook...

and a realistic outlook based on the evidence Dana White Provided is that was not, nor never will be Paulie Mallignaggi getting dropped by a punch by Conor McGregor

Accept it, move on and look forward to the fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I offered the odds, someone accepted but wanted to see proof of funds, then wanted to swap the bet to 20c. I didn't goad anyone.
    I wasn't the original poster you leveled the bet toward, but I said I'd happily bet any amount you liked. All the 20c in my piggy bank.

And of course proof of funds would be needed. lol. You set it at €5k minimum. You'd have to be a retard to assume you're good for it. Not a dig at you personally, just the realities of strangers betting online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mellor wrote: »
    I wasn't the original poster you leveled the bet toward, but I said I'd happily bet any amount you liked. All the 20c in my piggy bank.

And of course proof of funds would be needed. lol. You set it at €5k minimum. You'd have to be a retard to assume you're good for it. Not a dig at you personally, just the realities of strangers betting online.

So if a stranger on the internet shows you a balance of E5k, E50k, E500k, it immediately means they are trustworthy and will do a Lannister??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

id say there is normal people who come onto this thread for a read and wonder are these people ok
    lads lose the plot over a 15 sec video
    lose there mind over the thought of floyd gettin hit at all etc etc

get a grip lads

sc86 wrote: »
    id say there is normal people who come onto this thread for a read and wonder are these people ok

I'd say someone is just a little bit exaggerating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i doubt it

enjoy the fight for what it is

So if a stranger on the internet shows you a balance of E5k, E50k, E500k, it immediately means they are trustworthy and will do a Lannister??
    Shows a balance? Lol. Are you joking?
    I wouldn't trust a random gambler to pick me up a carton of eggs. As I said yesterday;
    "Obviously the bet gets escrowed"

That's just a standard protection tbh. Assuming that's confirmation you were spoofing then.

Im not complaining at all, whats your problem with people supporting McGregor? It is a sporting event, traditionally people choose sides and cheer on the person they would like to win. Are you unfamiliar with the concept?

You have come in here patting yourself on the back about your experience in sparring and you seem to think people should accept your analysis based on that. I dont, many pro boxers have called it a legit knockdown.

Accept it, move on and enjoy the build up to the fight.

1. Supporting is fine, fabricating "facts" is not
    2. Very familiar but objectivity is paramount to analysis..clearly absent in many posts
    3. No, I never patted myself on the back.. I just stated the obvious
    4. Majority of boxers are acknowledging the pushdown actually... Again you're seeing what you want to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Malignaggi back on the MMA Hour. Ariel obviously fancies another hour long respite...

I understand gambling perfectly well, and it is littered with upsets. That's all one needs to know.
    If the possibility of the crazy upset is a factor. Then Mayweather's not 99%.

A fights chances (or odds) is the total all the ways he wins, straight up technical superiority, Upsets, DQ's, injuries, freak results.
    True 1/100 shots rarely exist imo. But Floyd at 1/4 here is one of the most profitable bets (on paper) that I can remember. It's crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Mellor wrote: »
    If the possibility of the crazy upset is a factor. Then Mayweather's not 99%.

A fights chances (or odds) is the total all the ways he wins, straight up technical superiority, Upsets, DQ's, injuries, freak results.
    True 1/100 shots rarely exist imo. But Floyd at 1/4 here is one of the most profitable bets (on paper) that I can remember. It's crazy

To high rollers its an amazing price but to average Joes like us not so much . Arent the odds 1/6 though ? The most i could make is around €40 off it i would say .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

To high rollers its an amazing price but to average Joes like us not so much . Arent the odds 1/6 though ? The most i could make is around €40 off it i would say .

Free 40e to pay off a bill, hes not got a prayer in your opinion its like dropping 160 on the street and picking up 200,

not condoning anything other than responsible gambling btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Gamebred wrote: »
    Free 40e to pay off a bill, hes not got a prayer in your opinion its like dropping 160 on the street and picking up 200

not condoning anything other than responsible gambling btw

That is true . However the thought that you cant be 100% sure of something without gambling on it is absurd . Gambling just isnt that big of a thing for some people .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ah will you lighten up for goodness sake. Its just light hearted discussion, it doesnt really matter does it what way people look at it.

The tone of your posts has been anything but light. I'm all for having the craic but some people on here aren't able.

Ah will you lighten up for goodness sake. Its just light hearted discussion, it doesnt really matter does it what way people look at it.

What are you seeing from the poster's post that I am not?

They seem ordinary enough to me. Certainly not aggressive or patronizing or anything approaching d1ckish.

He's not all that enamored by Conor's chances here. Big deal....

The amount you place on the bet is irrelevant in terms of profitably though. It's 20% whether it's a 2 figure or 6 figure bet.

If somebody only has €200 to spare then a €40 profit is quite a big chunk, relatively speaking.
    The bookie love punters you think they need to look for a big payout for a bet to be worth it. They want punters to back accumulators, long shots, 20/1 daily speciaka where their margin is huge.

Floyd at 1/5 is boring. But it's highly profitable.
    The KO or decisions win pays better, butbthe certainty goes out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The MMA guy in the MMA fight ? In all seriousness though , he is lacking basic punching technique but i admire your loyalty to the man . If he read boards he would send you over to the fight all expenses paid and not the chap who wrote the song.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    What is this like???? Honestly???

I was responding to Sweet Science. He posted about 940am that if Conor was a Boards reader that he'd send me over to the fight, so I made a joking reply outlining my qualities as a fan. I just happened to put it in the wrong thread.

Or maybe some people have a problem with gambling, either morally or financially, and people goading them into gambling is annoying???

You were posting this type of guff as a way to mock Conor's fans who felt he had a chance to win this fight:
    I'll give you 500-1 for any bets over €100

When challenged by the most prominent poster on our forum, Mellor, who said fine he'd take your bet, 100 euro @ 500/1, you went quiet and skulked off for multiple days and began to make strawmen arguments to try save face.

You're the last person who is any position to talk about goading people (in general).

The truth is this - there is a stunning level of disrespect for Conor above and beyond what is justified. He's an 0-0 boxer taking on a 49-0 boxer. $100 million is only a "cashgrab" if you have your health to spend it. He's taking an enormous risk because he will get hit in this fight more than any other fight in his entire life if this goes beyond 6 rounds. Floyd is extremely accurate.

It's not enough for people to simply say "fair play Conor but I think you've an uphill battle ahead of you".

Instead people are using it as an opportunity to mock everything about his character, everything about his skills and everything about the sport of MMA that most of us in here love.

In the event he does shock the world, the mea culpa's and apologies won't be forthcoming either. It'll be excuses. It'll be Floyd is old. It'll be Conor got lucky. It'll be "the fight was rigged to secure a rematch". It'll be "GGG will destroy him".

Nothing Conor ever does will be good enough for some of you and a lot of you are relishing in the hope Conor might get the sh1t beaten out of him in 12 days from now.

I can only speak for myself but the more I read from you guys, the more steely determination I feel to get behind Conor to the bitter end. I can only imagine the determination Conor himself feels to prove everyone wrong.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The pedestal grows larger with every post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The pedestal grows larger with every post.

There are 2 things guaranteed to happen after I post.

1. You'll arrive to sarcastically mock me.
    2. Weldoninho will arrive to thank your post.

It's the MMA Forum version of 'death and taxes'.

It does amuse me how much time you both devote to trolling Conor's fans though, it shows dedication and I respect that.

It does amuse me how much time you both devote to trolling Conor's fans though, it shows dedication and I respect that.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Wonder I do like reading your posts, Im glad you find some sort of release or positivity or hope or whatever it is you get out of following Conor. Keep it up and forget the total dickheads that appear constantly in this forum.

Hope things are going better for you!!

Yeah, I can't stand all those dickheads either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Anyway, moving on.

That Hizzeredits video was deadly. That chap (or chappette) has mad skills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement