Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

One thing I have noticed which delights me no end, is that.............
    There has been a drastic decrease in arseholes calling McGregor 'Dad' and 'Daddy' and saying 'Conor bless' on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

One thing I have noticed which delights me no end, is that.............
    There has been a drastic decrease in arseholes calling McGregor 'Dad' and 'Daddy' and saying 'Conor bless' on Twitter.

I've no idea where the memes are at these days, even "Big bag of cans with the lads" is well past it's prime. Meme timeline moves quick.

MMA Hour up now. Currently DC talking about his loss.

Malignaggi back on the MMA Hour. Ariel obviously fancies another hour long respite...

He's back on no doubt to talk about this 'Winner Takes All' fight he has challenged McGregor to.

Even if McGregor loses, I'd say he'd pocket just as much fighting a top contender in the UFC than he would fighting that spoon.... even with 'winner takes all' stipulation.

He's back on no doubt to talk about this 'Winner Takes All' fight he has challenged McGregor to.

Even if McGregor loses, I'd say he'd pocket just as much fighting a top contender in the UFC than he would fighting that spoon.... even with 'winner takes all' stipulation.

For all the "Conor is a cheapskate" craic, I'd say he had a peek into the McGregor LyfeStyleeee™ and realised he's been on the **** end of the stick for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Mellor wrote: »
    The amount you place on the bet is irrelevant in terms of profitably though. It's 20% whether it's a 2 figure or 6 figure bet.

If somebody only has €200 to spare then a €40 profit is quite a big chunk, relatively speaking.
    The bookie love punters you think they need to look for a big payout for a bet to be worth it. They want punters to back accumulators, long shots, 20/1 daily speciaka where their margin is huge.

Floyd at 1/5 is boring. But it's highly profitable.
    The KO or decisions win pays better, butbthe certainty goes out the window.

You are obviously right I wont dispute that . Betting just isn't a thing to some people like it is for others . People can watch a sporting event without even thinking of a bookies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Dana White cheerleading on Sky Sports News at some stage between 9 and 10 tonight in case it's not been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Gamebred wrote: »
    How much have you got on the tko at 8/11? easy dough you'll make a mint if you that confident.

I've got €500 on Floyd by TKO at 11/4. I posted my Betslip on the Boxing forum thread if you want to check.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

pone2012 wrote: »
    Are you blind? Or just so engrossed in your McGregor man crush like the half the posters here that you are immune to objectivity. It goes against body mechanics to fall the way he did...he was coming up from a bob/weave movement and was stopped from completing the circular movement by ...Guess what...An arm pressing down on his neck.

The minute I seen this it was clear as day, and that was before Paulie even stated it

Take off the McGregor goggles please, and maybe...go to Specsavers

Armchair analysts and delusional who haven't ever actually been in real live sparring situations haven't a clue...Its as blatant as day and night.

Keep it civil and cut out the crap. People are entitled to an opinion, it doesnt have to align with yours.

• Advertisement

Also I saw a Vegs betslip posted online yesterday.
    $880k bet to win back $1m. Getting just less than 1/7 on Floyd in Vegas. Shows how mad it is that Paddy Power have him at 1/4, I doubt Paddy would take a €1m bet though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20240194/breaking-mayweather-vs-mcgregor

The ESPN writers give their chances on the fight. Will go down like a lead balloon.

This took out to me, never knew.
    Conor McGregor's takedown defense is pretty good, but that won't help him here, will it? Frankly, striking defense is not what he's known for. According to FightMetric, McGregor has defended just 57 percent of strikes during his UFC career, worst of any current male champ.

I'll ignore the juvenile ad hominem about man crushes..................... but just to address this point:
    pone2012 wrote: »
    ...he was coming up from a bob/weave movement...

Paulie was NOT bobbing or weaving. He was throwing a right hook ffs! And you're telling people to go see an optician!

giphy.gif

and was stopped from completing the circular movement by an arm pressing down on his neck.

Nope. Here's precisely what happened (evidenced by the above Gif):

1) Conor throws a jab.
    2) Paulie immediately throws a right hook (which completely misses him)
    3) Paulie becomes even more unbalanced than he already was.
    4) Conor attempts a left hook (which ether just clips Paulie or just misses him).

Paulie is now (as you said yourself) "coming up" which means that Paulie is pushing against Conor's glove with the back of his neck (for that split second) just as much as Conor is applying pressure to him. Six of one, half a dozen of the other..

End result: Paulie goes down from a combination of eating shots, missing shots and being unable to regain his balance after having lost it.

No push down, no pull down....... was a knockdown or a at worst, a fall down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

The truth is this - there is a stunning level of disrespect for Conor above and beyond what is justified. He's an 0-0 boxer taking on a 49-0 boxer. $100 million is only a "cashgrab" if you have your health to spend it. He's taking an enormous risk because he will get hit in this fight more than any other fight in his entire life if this goes beyond 6 rounds. Floyd is extremely accurate.

Wonder, it seems that at some times you show good awareness of the gulf in class between the fighters, but at other times you say things like "when conor wins" or state that you think conor will win. Do you truly believe that he will win or is it just that you are a bit hurt by the perceived lack of respect for mcgregor and mma, and because of this are holding to your stance out of some sort of loyalty rather than logic?

It could be argued that to believe that mcgregor WILL win (as opposed to may possibly somehow manage to find a way to win) is every bit as disrespectful to the sport of boxing and to the skills of mayweather as you claim the other posters are being to mcgregor.

I understand loyalty and the likes, and I've seen you make comparisons to football supporters and your supporting of mcgregor. I've also seen you mention you having an evidence-based posting style....but your current stance is like a Bohemians fan stating that they think their team will beat Real Madrid, despite the evidence suggesting a pronounced gulf in class between the two teams.

I dont think you would find many bohs fans who, despite being loyal supporters, would disregard the evidence and make that claim. Now its not beyond the realms of possibility, but its not very likely.....assessing the chances of someone you support realistically is not being disloyal. I will be cheering on mcgregor, as most here will be I imagine....in fact his huge underdog status makes more people want to cheer for him....but he is a huge underdog for a reason.

I sense that deep down you are well aware of this and are kind of entrenched in a battle defending the honour of mcgregor / MMA at this point, but the more that happens the wilder the posts get, to the point where any claims to be in possession of a "strong evidence based posting style" must cease!

Just to add, I really enjoy reading your posts in general, prior to mayweather mania setting in on the forum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I've got €500 on Floyd by TKO at 11/4. I posted my Betslip on the Boxing forum thread if you want to check.

Where did you get 11/4?

Gintonious wrote: »

The ESPN writers give their chances on the fight. Will go down like a lead balloon.

Not to pick holes, but both gave McGregor the edge on Power, and one gave him durability, then for both to say stoppage by KO. Is that not a bit odd? Surely TKO would be the likelier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been watching the build up, reading up a lot too and here's my take on the fight

I think Conor will come out guns blazing, as in every MMA fight he's had in the UFC once his opposite number gets hit that's it, they change their whole strategy and it's more like damage prevention, i think this goes the same way.
    He'll come out very unorthodox, unlike any fighter Floyd has faced before, and Floyd has to crack the puzzle, and crack it quick. If Conor lands early then i think the fight will end with a KO win for Conor late in the first/early in the second.

People are saying that Conor won't even land a punch, i find that impossible to believe after seeing his accuracy and power many many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Dave0301

To be fair, there is nothing too outrageous in that, and I would think that most level headed MMA fans would agree that McGregor winning would be a huge upset.

It is the dismissive and at times derogatory comments directed towards McGregor that go down like a lead balloon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Round 1 is the most dangerous round of Mayweathers career and that is an absolute stone cold fact.

Lads im not sure what it is about today, must be the change in weather but some of you need to grow up pretty quickly or find something else to do with your time instead of coming on here causing hassle and looking for arguments. The usual suspects consider yourselves on a final warning, I have been lenient enough with people up to now for the sake of having a debate and letting both sides have their say but some of you have no interest in anything apart from trolling or looking to stir up crap with some of your posts. Some of the regulars here do yourself a favour and stop getting dragged into the nonsense too or you will end up with the same treatment. Any ban given will be a long one, dont say you werent warned...

In particular

EagererBeaver
    Weldoninhio
    WalshB

If you are going to post on here post constructive discussion or otherwise stay off the forum. You dont have to like McGregor or indeed think he will win but coming in making smart arse comments or pointless one liners dismissing McGregor looking for a reaction from people is going to get you a ban, its getting old now so time to give it a rest. Weldoninhio same applies to you coming in purely to like posts by the same posters all the time looking for a reaction off certain regulars on the forum. If you have something to say post and be part of the discussion otherwise just stay clear as you are adding nothing.

For everyone: There is a fight in a few weeks that everyone wants to see no matter which side you want to win. Enjoy it for what it is and the build up to it and try and get along for the few weeks till the fight is over...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Dave Sholler with a great little interview describing when he first met Conor, and his relationship with him. It's a fairly glowing interview other than, of course, him tongue-in-cheek giving out about Conor always being late.

Watching that made me think what a loss Sholler was to the UFC, but he seems to still be in close touch with Dana, Conor etc which is good to see. Hope he comes back to the UFC some day.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Where did you get 11/4?

William Hill.
    It's still there
    Note the bet is on TKO only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Wonder, it seems that at some times you show good awareness of the gulf in class between the fighters, but at other times you say things like "when conor wins" or state that you think conor will win. Do you truly believe that he will win or is it just that you are a bit hurt by the perceived lack of respect for mcgregor and mma, and because of this are holding to your stance out of some sort of loyalty rather than logic?

It could be argued that to believe that mcgregor WILL win (as opposed to may possibly somehow manage to find a way to win) is every bit as disrespectful to the sport of boxing and to the skills of mayweather as you claim the other posters are being to mcgregor.

I understand loyalty and the likes, and I've seen you make comparisons to football supporters and your supporting of mcgregor. I've also seen you mention you having an evidence-based posting style....but your current stance is like a Bohemians fan stating that they think their team will beat Real Madrid, despite the evidence suggesting a pronounced gulf in class between the two teams.

I dont think you would find many bohs fans who, despite being loyal supporters, would disregard the evidence and make that claim. Now its not beyond the realms of possibility, but its not very likely.....assessing the chances of someone you support realistically is not being disloyal. I will be cheering on mcgregor, as most here will be I imagine....in fact his huge underdog status makes more people want to cheer for him....but he is a huge underdog for a reason.

I sense that deep down you are well aware of this and are kind of entrenched in a battle defending the honour of mcgregor / MMA at this point, but the more that happens the wilder the posts get, to the point where any claims to be in possession of a "strong evidence based posting style" must cease!

Just to add, I really enjoy reading your posts in general, prior to mayweather mania setting in on the forum :D

Leave bohs out of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not to pick holes, but both gave McGregor the edge on Power, and one gave him durability, then for both to say stoppage by KO. Is that not a bit odd? Surely TKO would be the likelier?

They both gave defence and endurance to Floyd, speed as well. I would hazard a guess that they gave that prediction on McGregor eating too many shots, getting tired and thus getting stopped from cumulative damage etc.

TKO is probably more likely.

Cracking bet.

I'd do it myself if i wasn't a fan of McGregor........ but it'd spoil the enjoyment of the fight for me to back Floyd, good and all as I think the odds are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Axwell wrote: »
    Lads im not sure what it is about today, must be the change in weather but some of you need to grow up pretty quickly or find something else to do with your time instead of coming on here causing hassle and looking for arguments. The usual suspects consider yourselves on a final warning, I have been lenient enough with people up to now for the sake of having a debate and letting both sides have their say but some of you have no interest in anything apart from trolling or looking to stir up crap with some of your posts. Some of the regulars here do yourself a favour and stop getting dragged into the nonsense too or you will end up with the same treatment. Any ban given will be a long one, dont say you werent warned...

In particular

EagererBeaver
    Weldoninhio
    WalshB

If you are going to post on here post constructive discussion or otherwise stay off the forum. You dont have to like McGregor or indeed think he will win but coming in making smart arse comments or pointless one liners dismissing McGregor looking for a reaction from people is going to get you a ban, its getting old now so time to give it a rest. Weldoninhio same applies to you coming in purely to like posts by the same posters all the time looking for a reaction off certain regulars on the forum. If you have something to say post and be part of the discussion otherwise just stay clear as you are adding nothing.

For everyone: There is a fight in a few weeks that everyone wants to see no matter which side you want to win. Enjoy it for what it is and the build up to it and try and get along for the few weeks till the fight is over...

Sorry, just to be clear, you are saying I am not allowed to use the like function?? I don't come in to " like posts by the same posters all the time looking for a reaction". I come in when I get the time in work/at home and like posts I agree with, I generally don't even look at the posters names, same as in every other forum on boards.ie. Sometimes I don't have time to post, or sometimes I've nothing extra to add.

Edit: Also, how would it be to get a reaction, you don't see who likes a post unless you specifically click on the thanks button as far as I can see.

Sorry to drag off topic, but I feel I'm being picked on.

Sorry, just to be clear, you are saying I am not allowed to use the like function?? I don't come in to " like posts by the same posters all the time looking for a reaction". I come in when I get the time in work/at home and like posts I agree with, I generally don't even look at the posters names, same as in every other forum on boards.ie. Sometimes I don't have time to post, or sometimes I've nothing extra to add.

If you want to discuss it take to pm. My point was pretty clear, if you come in looking for a reaction you are going to get a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been watching the build up, reading up a lot too and here's my take on the fight

I think Conor will come out guns blazing, as in every MMA fight he's had in the UFC once his opposite number gets hit that's it, they change their whole strategy and it's more like damage prevention, i think this goes the same way.
    He'll come out very unorthodox, unlike any fighter Floyd has faced before, and Floyd has to crack the puzzle, and crack it quick. If Conor lands early then i think the fight will end with a KO win for Conor late in the first/early in the second.

People are saying that Conor won't even land a punch, i find that impossible to believe after seeing his accuracy and power many many times.

Beginners luck. In a competitive game, a skilled player will expect certain actions to be taken by an opponent in a given situation and prepares his strategy using that prediction. This is especially true in card games, chess, etc. However, the beginner does not have the skill and will often not take the best action. The skilled player is caught off guard and cannot correctly predict or interpret his opponent's action and he loses a large part of his advantage.

I think muscle memory is going to play a large part here. Floyd is so successful because of his reflexes, his muscle memory is incredible. He see's a twitch, a flex... and he's out of there.

I'm sure everyone (who has trained in boxing/mma) has had that new guy in the gym. Most new guys, it's easy you see everything coming a mile away. There is always that one though, he just does something a little weird.

They hold up their elbow up for too lon making it awkward to come in, they throw a weird ass punch that somehow connects, they stumble forward like they have two left feet and you end up in a clinch or tripping... whatever it is. It happens, you figure it out and then it's fine but for those first moments, your game is thrown.

I think this will happen here. Conor will come at him differently and by differently I mean Conors boxing is not as skilled or as polished as Floyd is used to and will cause the opening and Conor will crack him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

It's a pretty bang on assessment of both fighters. But one of the subjects that stood out to me was the Question of Mayweather power. People look at his KO percentage on his last 10 fights and pass judgement. But think about it like this. If Floyd has no power, Why didn't power punches like Pacquiao, Cotto, Canelo, Maidana just walked him down, why didn't they just take his punches to land their own?

Maybe because they respect his power, respect his ability to potentially hurt them with sharp counter punches. Floyd is not the most powerful guys but he is quick and extremely accurate. In Boxing its very often not the haymakers that knock you out. It's the punch you didn't see coming that lands right on the sweet spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

William Hill.
    It's still there
    Note the bet is on TKO only

I'd be interested to get your take on why you went for TKO?

I'm thinking of backing Floyd by decision having watched the Judah, Guerrero and Pacquiao fights. I think Floyd will land plenty but I really don't see killer instinct there. Seems like more of a survivor to me especially when the southpaw threat is there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement