Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I'll ignore the juvenile ad hominem about man crushes..................... but just to address this point:

Paulie was NOT bobbing or weaving. He was throwing a right hook ffs! And you're telling people to go see an optician!

giphy.gif

Nope. Here's precisely what happened (evidenced by the above Gif):

1) Conor throws a jab.
    2) Paulie immediately throws a right hook (which completely misses him)
    3) Paulie becomes even more unbalanced than he already was.
    4) Conor attempts a left hook (which ether just clips Paulie or just misses him).

Paulie is now (as you said yourself) "coming up" which means that Paulie is pushing against Conor's glove with the back of his neck (for that split second) just as much as Conor is applying pressure to him. Six of one, half a dozen of the other..

End result: Paulie goes down from a combination of eating shots, missing shots and being unable to regain his balance after having lost it.

No push down, no pull down....... was a knockdown or a at worst, a fall down.

Pete all that would be fine if you weren't ignoring the stutter in Paulies fall...that's actually the key to seeing what put him off balance.. It was the press against him..not to mention Conors cross step, any leg movement of that kind would nullify the power in a punch

Plus, if it was the punch he'd have hit the floor like a bag of potatoes..did he eat shots yes? But it's evident it's not what dropped him. The stutter in his fall was well after the punch

I'm not getting dragged back into the back and forward now so I'm leaving my comments on the video to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gamebred wrote: »
    Round 1 is the most dangerous round of Mayweathers career and that is an absolute stone cold fact.

Just did 20e @10s on PP. Mcgregor 1-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

D.Q wrote: »
    Just did 20e @10s on PP. Mcgregor 1-3

That's the bet i'll be doing, 50euro on Conor rds 1-3

Also gonna be sticking a cheeky fiver on the ref to get knocked down by a punch at 100-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,611 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Surely a DQ win for Floyd is worth a bob or two?

8-1 for Floyd via DQ and 66-1 for Conor via DQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Anyone watching the MMA hour:

Brad Pickett "If they were fighting a real fight, and they were fighting over a pig, McGregor would be eating a ham sandwich."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I'd be interested to get your take on why you went for TKO?

I'm thinking of backing Floyd by decision having watched the Judah, Guerrero and Pacquiao fights. I think Floyd will land plenty but I really don't see killer instinct there. Seems like more of a survivor to me especially when the southpaw threat is there.

I don't see Floyd by KO, Conor would have to be on the ground for 10+ seconds. I don't think he has concussive power against the bigger man. If, as most predict, he outclasses him and wins by accumulation then either the ref will stop him on his feet or his own corner will pull him out. I don't think he will want to ruin his career by taking a sustained beating- his money will be safe.

I just think TKO is the most likely option and the best value bet out there.

BTW there is an anomaly in the Paddy Power odds on this market. They offer only only 15/8 on Mayweather by TKO but also 21/10 by either fighter to win by TKO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    Surely a DQ win for Floyd is worth a bob or two?

8-1 for Floyd via DQ and 66-1 for Conor via DQ.

Don't take 8/1 when you shop around you can get 11s an 12s. I intend to have a small cover bet on this as it's the one outcome I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Anyone watching the MMA hour:

Brad Pickett "If they were fighting a real fight, and they were fighting over a pig, McGregor would be eating a ham sandwich."

Of all the things that get said about this fight, this is the one that annoys me the most. So what if McGregor would win a street fight, or an MMA fight, or any other type of fight than a boxing match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Django99 wrote: »
    Of all the things that get said about this fight, this is the one that annoys me the most. So what if McGregor would win a street fight, or an MMA fight, or any other type of fight than a boxing match?

I think there was a context for it - can't remember what it was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The Paulie Hour is on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Paulie taking over the MMA 'hour again. He is still really butt hurt. He' basically copying what Conor was saying about him at the open workout by saying 'je's really cute and adorable'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I think there was a context for it - can't remember what it was though.

First time Floyd looks at an opponent, and thinks "This fool could actually sleep me."

Could niggle at Floyd, not being the best in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

First time Floyd looks at an opponent, and thinks "This fool could actually sleep me."

Corrales, de la Hoya, Canelo, Maidana to name four who he's faced had the raw power to absolutely spark him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Don't think showtime will be happy with paulie, not very subtle imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Abused Dana, could see Baldy getting him dragged off the broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Abused Dana, could see Baldy getting him dragged off the broadcast.

Be interesting to see just how much sway Dana has on matters. Malignaggi a cornerstone of Showtime's coverage over the last few years. Shafting Helwani was one thing but doing the same to Malignaggi would be a step up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I think his bias will ruin the coverage now on fight night, Hardy made a good point earlier the world and Floyd are expecting a massive onslaught from Conor very early on in rouns 1-4, he'd go out and do the opposite.

I think his bias will ruin the coverage now on fight night, Hardy made a good point earlier the world and Floyd are expecting a massive onslaught from Conor very early on in rouns 1-4, he'd go out and do the opposite.

The flip side of it is just how much sway Floyd has with Showtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Wonder, it seems that at some times you show good awareness of the gulf in class between the fighters, but at other times you say things like "when conor wins" or state that you think conor will win. Do you truly believe that he will win or is it just that you are a bit hurt by the perceived lack of respect for mcgregor and mma, and because of this are holding to your stance out of some sort of loyalty rather than logic?
    I will be cheering on mcgregor, as most here will be I imagine....in fact his huge underdog status makes more people want to cheer for him....but he is a huge underdog for a reason.

I sense that deep down you are well aware of this and are kind of entrenched in a battle defending the honour of mcgregor / MMA at this point, but the more that happens the wilder the posts get, to the point where any claims to be in possession of a "strong evidence based posting style" must cease!

Just to add, I really enjoy reading your posts in general, prior to mayweather mania setting in on the forum :D

Thanks man.

Yeah I genuinely believe Conor will win. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way towards boxing or towards Floyd. In fact, if Conor was to box 12 rounds with Floyd in the gym 100 times, I would predict Floyd would win maybe 95/100.

Conor has consistently risen to the biggest occasions when all the marbles are on the line. The Mendes fight. The Aldo fight. The Alvarez fight. When the chance at history was on the line, he rose to the occasion in ways that honestly bring a tear to my eye.

Chance to become the first Irish man to win UFC gold against Mendes

Sinead O' Connor singing him out to one of the best atmospheres that will ever be remembered in MMA. The disappointment of the cancelled Aldo fight and late opponent on his mind. The huge production the UFC put into that event from the promos, to the walkouts, everything scuppered at the last minute. All Conor's training (checking leg-kicks!) for nothing against a stocky wrestler.

A few minutes in and he's on his arse. A few seconds later he's sliced open and bleeding yet he still didn't panic on his back after Chad had ragdolled him to the ground. He ate the elbows, he ate the punches, he stayed patient in his closed guard. It would have been very easy given the magnitude of the occasion to panic and waste energy trying to explode pushing off his hips to get up. It would have been easy to give his back up in a scramble.

It would have been even easier to panic when Mendes got hold of his neck. Team Alpha Male are no joke at guillotines and Conor is not renowned for his defensive jiujitsu. When he got up he wiped the blood from his eyes and threw accurate punches, he didn't just unload on him.

Chance to become the first undisputed Irishman to win UFC gold against P4P #1 Jose Aldo

The 13 seconds involved in that fight don't tell even half the story. You really have to take 2014 and 2015 in context to describe the pressure on his shoulders and how other men could easily have wilted under it.

Chael Sonnen fails all those tests 2014 and gets terminated by the UFC, despite being one of their most bankable stars. Anderson Silva gets caught early 2015 and by August gets the 1-year-backdated suspension. This coming hot on the heels of him signing a whopper 15-fight-contract with the UFC a few fights previously, losing twice to Weidman in horrific circumstances.

Come September we get the news that Nick Diaz has been suspended for a whopping 5-years for the marijuana debacle. The sight of Nick pleading the 5th Amendment in front of Pat Lundvall, as if he was on trial for murder, made the sport look like a laughing stock.

By October we had Jon Jones reinstated after his suspension for being involved in the hit-and-run on the pregnant lady but there were still serious question marks over his future. Would he mess up and violate his parole? Could he be counted on not to pull out after the mess of UFC 151 and the pull-out of 178? Would he stay off the cocaine or get into more trouble?

Come November we see GSP reaffirm he's in no rush to return from his retirement and hot on the heels of that we have a moment that sent shockwaves through the whole sport. November 14th was supposed to be Ronda turning up to bank a 1m+ PPV for the UFC in Australia, by throwing Holly Holm on her head, armbar'ing her and riding off to film her next Hollywood movie in between her next fight.

Instead, Holly Holm headkicks her not just into unconsciousness but that headkick shattered the perception of Ronda. The same Ronda being spoken of as a killing machine who could beat men was now reduced to a meme of looking like a day-one novice.

It's not just the fact Jose Aldo was a long-time champion, P4P #1 and phenomenal fighter, with ferocious leg-kicks, muay-thai and offensive jiujitsu -
    facing that alone would be a challenge for anyone.

More importantly that any of that, Conor wouldn't have been human if he didn't feel the weight of expectation from the UFC, his employers, to win this fight and from the people back home in Ireland who believed in him.

The UFC NEEDED Conor to win. Going into 2016 without Ronda, without GSP, without Chael, without Nick Diaz, without Anderson, with question marks over Jon Jones, the sport could honestly have slunk into a years-long depression if Conor lost that fight in devastating circumstances. The UFC has been cyclical with ups-and-downs for the best part of it's existence.

Dana and Lorenzo needed Conor to deliver to ensure 2016 would be an up-year. They needed him to get in there carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders and get rid of the best featherweight of all-time.

Conor kneels down facing off Aldo before Big John is about to send them in to fight and says "let's go boy". After one exchange, and I'll never forget this, Conor flashes a massive smile to Aldo. It was the first UFC event I could actually afford to pay for so I got all the camera angles and I must have watched that camera angle dozens of times that night. Not long after he flashed that smile, Aldo bull-rushed him with the fake right-left cross combo and was asleep before he knew it.

It gets reduced to a 13-second meme but the truth is the pressure on Conor to win that fight must have felt unholy.

Chance to become the first simultaneous champion in UFC history

August 20th to November 12th is exactly 84 days. 12 weeks. Kicks Nate's leg 40 times in 25 minutes and leaves on crutches. He gets home and recovers and by September 26th you're on a flight to Newark to go to a press conference for your next fight, a fight in 46 days, his 4th contest in 11 months. A 6 week camp to prepare for one of the best grinding lightweight wrestlers in the division is the type of camp many fighters can make excuses with.

To go in there with a $17.7 million gate, beating records that had stood for years and decades - records held by the likes of Lennox Lewis and Muhammad Ali - to just stroll in there in a mink coat, to saunter to the 3-point-line to take a jump-shot on the home court of the NY Knicks like he hasn't a care in the world...

Honestly, wow.

I can't give you many good reasons why I think Conor will beat Floyd Mayweather. I can't tell you it's his power because Floyd has faced harder-hitters. It's not his speed because Conor's not that fast. It's not his timing because Floyd has seen it before. It's certainly not the fact he's a southpaw with a good left hand.

The reason I believe he will win this contest is Conor has blown me away with how he handles pressure. He handles it better than any person I've ever followed closely in any walk of life.

The bigger the escalation in challenge, the better he performs. He was better against Alvarez than he was against Aldo and the Aldo fight was better again from the Mendes fight.

I believe most of Floyd's opponents are overawed by the occasion. They freeze under the bright lights. They panic when their shots are not landing. They get frustrated, they chase, they swing wildly at times just looking to connect.

Conor won't be overawed. He won't get embarrassed or lose his composure. Floyd can make him miss 40 punches in a row and Conor has the confidence in himself to believe it will only take a couple to land to get rid of him.

I can't present you with a logical, evidence-based case as to why I'm so convinced he will win this fight but I truly believe the enormity of the occasion is an important ingredient in a potential win. He will outperform what we all think is possible against Floyd Mayweather and come away with the victory.

If I'm wrong and he loses, I've lost nothing in believing in him. In fact, on the contrary. Regardless of what happens August 26th he's allowing grown men (such as myself) to believe in fairytales. That's no bad thing.

For anyone saying fairytales don't exist, Conor's first post on Boards.ie was November 9th, 2011 and in it he was calling out Conor Dillon and Chris Stringer. Almost 5 years to that day he was sitting on top of the cage in Madison Square Garden, (where Muhammad Ali fought Joe Frazier and Floyd Patterson), holding up 2 UFC gold belts with his family by his side.

I believe :)

• Advertisement

Either taking the mick or seriously overrating Conor's power (power yet to be shown/proven) in a pair of boxing gloves in a boxing match..

He'd be a bang average puncher if thrown in with all of Floyd's opponents..

Thanks man.

Yeah I genuinely believe Conor will win. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way towards boxing or towards Floyd. In fact, if Conor was to box 12 rounds with Floyd in the gym 100 times, I would predict Floyd would win maybe 95/100.

Conor has consistently risen to the biggest occasions when all the marbles are on the line. The Mendes fight. The Aldo fight. The Alvarez fight. When the chance at history was on the line, he rose to the occasion in ways that honestly bring a tear to my eye.

Chance to become the first Irish man to win UFC gold against Mendes

Sinead O' Connor singing him out to one of the best atmospheres that will ever be remembered in MMA. The disappointment of the cancelled Aldo fight and late opponent on his mind. The huge production the UFC put into that event from the promos, to the walkouts, everything scuppered at the last minute. All Conor's training (checking leg-kicks!) for nothing against a stocky wrestler.

A few minutes in and he's on his arse. A few seconds later he's sliced open and bleeding yet he still didn't panic on his back after Chad had ragdolled him to the ground. He ate the elbows, he ate the punches, he stayed patient in his closed guard. It would have been very easy given the magnitude of the occasion to panic and waste energy trying to explode pushing off his hips to get up. It would have been easy to give his back up in a scramble.

It would have been even easier to panic when Mendes got hold of his neck. Team Alpha Male are no joke at guillotines and Conor is not renowned for his defensive jiujitsu. When he got up he wiped the blood from his eyes and threw accurate punches, he didn't just unload on him.

Chance to become the first undisputed Irishman to win UFC gold against P4P #1 Jose Aldo

The 13 seconds involved in that fight don't tell even half the story. You really have to take 2014 and 2015 in context to describe the pressure on his shoulders and how other men could easily have wilted under it.

Chael Sonnen fails all those tests 2014 and gets terminated by the UFC, despite being one of their most bankable stars. Anderson Silva gets caught early 2015 and by August gets the 1-year-backdated suspension. This coming hot on the heels of him signing a whopper 15-fight-contract with the UFC a few fights previously, losing twice to Weidman in horrific circumstances.

Come September we get the news that Nick Diaz has been suspended for a whopping 5-years for the marijuana debacle. The sight of Nick pleading the 5th Amendment in front of Pat Lundvall, as if he was on trial for murder, made the sport look like a laughing stock.

By October we had Jon Jones reinstated after his suspension for being involved in the hit-and-run on the pregnant lady but there were still serious question marks over his future. Would he mess up and violate his parole? Could he be counted on not to pull out after the mess of UFC 151 and the pull-out of 178? Would he stay off the cocaine or get into more trouble?

Come November we see GSP reaffirm he's in no rush to return from his retirement and hot on the heels of that we have a moment that sent shockwaves through the whole sport. November 14th was supposed to be Ronda turning up to bank a 1m+ PPV for the UFC in Australia, by throwing Holly Holm on her head, armbar'ing her and riding off to film her next Hollywood movie in between her next fight.

Instead, Holly Holm headkicks her not just into unconsciousness but that headkick shattered the perception of Ronda. The same Ronda being spoken of as a killing machine who could beat men was now reduced to a meme of looking like a day-one novice.

It's not just the fact Jose Aldo was a long-time champion, P4P #1 and phenomenal fighter, with ferocious leg-kicks, muay-thai and offensive jiujitsu -
    facing that alone would be a challenge for anyone.

More importantly that any of that, Conor wouldn't have been human if he didn't feel the weight of expectation from the UFC, his employers, to win this fight and from the people back home in Ireland who believed in him.

The UFC NEEDED Conor to win. Going into 2016 without Ronda, without GSP, without Chael, without Nick Diaz, without Anderson, with question marks over Jon Jones, the sport could honestly have slunk into a years-long depression if Conor lost that fight in devastating circumstances. The UFC has been cyclical with ups-and-downs for the best part of it's existence.

Dana and Lorenzo needed Conor to deliver to ensure 2016 would be an up-year. They needed him to get in there carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders and get rid of the best featherweight of all-time.

Conor kneels down facing off Aldo before Big John is about to send them in to fight and says "let's go boy". After one exchange, and I'll never forget this, Conor flashes a massive smile to Aldo. It was the first UFC event I could actually afford to pay for so I got all the camera angles and I must have watched that camera angle dozens of times that night. Not long after he flashed that smile, Aldo bull-rushed him with the fake right-left cross combo and was asleep before he knew it.

It gets reduced to a 13-second meme but the truth is the pressure on Conor to win that fight must have felt unholy.

Chance to become the first simultaneous champion in UFC history

August 20th to November 12th is exactly 84 days. 12 weeks. Kicks Nate's leg 40 times in 25 minutes and leaves on crutches. He gets home and recovers and by September 26th you're on a flight to Newark to go to a press conference for your next fight, a fight in 46 days, his 4th contest in 11 months. A 6 week camp to prepare for one of the best grinding lightweight wrestlers in the division is the type of camp many fighters can make excuses with.

To go in there with a $17.7 million gate, beating records that had stood for years and decades - records held by the likes of Lennox Lewis and Muhammad Ali - to just stroll in there in a mink coat, to saunter to the 3-point-line to take a jump-shot on the home court of the NY Knicks like he hasn't a care in the world...

Honestly, wow.

I can't give you many good reasons why I think Conor will beat Floyd Mayweather. I can't tell you it's his power because Floyd has faced harder-hitters. It's not his speed because Conor's not that fast. It's not his timing because Floyd has seen it before. It's certainly not the fact he's a southpaw with a good left hand.

The reason I believe he will win this contest is Conor has blown me away with how he handles pressure. He handles it better than any person I've ever followed closely in any walk of life.

The bigger the escalation in challenge, the better he performs. He was better against Alvarez than he was against Aldo and the Aldo fight was better again from the Mendes fight.

I believe most of Floyd's opponents are overawed by the occasion. They freeze under the bright lights. They panic when their shots are not landing. They get frustrated, they chase, they swing wildly at times just looking to connect.

Conor won't be overawed. He won't get embarrassed or lose his composure. Floyd can make him miss 40 punches in a row and Conor has the confidence in himself to believe it will only take a couple to land to get rid of him.

I can't present you with a logical, evidence-based case as to why I'm so convinced he will win this fight but I truly believe the enormity of the occasion is an important ingredient in a potential win. He will outperform what we all think is possible against Floyd Mayweather and come away with the victory.

If I'm wrong and he loses, I've lost nothing in believing in him. In fact, on the contrary. Regardless of what happens August 26th he's allowing grown men (such as myself) to believe in fairytales. That's no bad thing.

For anyone saying fairytales don't exist, Conor's first post on Boards.ie was November 9th, 2011 and in it he was calling out Conor Dillon and Chris Stringer. Almost 5 years to that day he was sitting on top of the cage in Madison Square Garden, (where Muhammad Ali fought Joe Frazier and Floyd Patterson), holding up 2 UFC gold belts with his family by his side.

I believe :)

Gonna make a whopper movie one day

wonder, I don't believe that you genuinely think that Conor wins.

It's quite an easy stance to take, and I reckon your praying for what you think will be all the adulation should Conor win.

He loses and people just say you got it woefully wrong, but sure he was always going to lose..

He wins and maybe you think that your prediction was so brilliant and developed and constructed and thought out and meaningful. But really his only chance is that slim KO.. that is not a well developed or meaningful or brilliant prediction. It's just a prayer for a win. We could all pray it.

That's not me having a pop at you, just observing. From reading through your breakdowns, assessments, analyses you have went from this side to that side and back again. It just doesn't add up to a now genuine belief that he wins..

From a TKO win 9th rd for Floyd to this utter confidence that Conor wins?

I don't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

Any links for all access episode 3 since any ive tried to watch have been taken down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just listening to the show there now..........

Paulie saying: "Nobody wants to work him, now all he has is some mma guy".

Eh, you're on the MMA Hour there, Paulie.

Also, he says they only released the sparring footage because Conor looked foolish at the media workout and they wanted to cover that up :rolleyes:

Speaking of All Access, has there been any more word on whether Embedded will be happening next week? Dana said it would at the fight announcement but haven't heard or seen anything since.

Paulie saying: "Nobody wants to work him, now all he has is some mma guy".

Eh, you're on the MMA Hour there, Paulie.

Work him as in work with him in training? If so, what relevance has the fact he's on the MMA hour got to do with anything?

Paulie needs to stfu...

Like a broken fooking record, and we still have to endure his sh1t on fight night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Also, he says they only released the sparring footage because Conor looked foolish at the media workout and they wanted to cover that up :rolleyes:

To be fair, that was a big part of it, a lot of people were unimpressed with what Conor brought to that workout....Leaking that footage was effectively damage control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

pone2012 wrote: »
    To be fair, that was a big part of it, a lot of people were unimpressed with what Conor brought to that workout....Leaking that footage was effectively damage control

Damage control... The idea that the lads, just as Conor was going through a 12 round bag session, all turned themselves off camera and were like, 'Quick, send Dana the text, get him to leak the footage! This looks terrible!' is laughable.

There's far fetched and then there's that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement