Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

pone2012 wrote: »
    To be fair, that was a big part of it, a lot of people were unimpressed with what Conor brought to that workout....Leaking that footage was effectively damage control

You can't be serious??

So, they are doing the media workout, social media start laughing and so Conor's people go 'Ah crap, quick, somebody edit the footage and we'll release it!"

First of all. NOTHING that Conor did at that media workout wasn't specifically planned. All of it was deliberate with an eye to giving nothing away and do something which people might say 'What the hell was that about?' in response to.

Secondly, they timed the release of that footage to perfection as it was released within minutes of Conor and his time doing three or four interviews each. Ariel even watched the clip during Conor's interview.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

.ak wrote: »
    Damage control... The idea that the lads, just as Conor was going through a 12 round bag session, all turned themselves off camera and were like, 'Quick, send Dana the text, get him to leak the footage! This looks terrible!' is laughable.

There's far fetched and then there's that.

Paulie was making that claim himself on the MMA hour earlier - the guy was like one of those toys you pull the string on and they make noise. Id say he was redder than Dana by the time he got everything out he wanted to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

What I meant by giving nothing away was with regards to what he intends to do in the ring. He even went to throw a few kicks at one stage and the from the whole media workout, the part everyone was instantly laughing at online, was the following............... which I think was effectively trolling the boxing media and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

walshb wrote: »
    wonder, I don't believe that you genuinely think that Conor wins.

It's quite an easy stance to take, and I reckon your praying for what you think will be all the adulation should Conor win.

He loses and people just say you got it woefully wrong, but sure he was always going to lose..

He wins and maybe you think that your prediction was so brilliant and developed and constructed and thought out and meaningful. But really his only chance is that slim KO.. that is not a well developed or meaningful or brilliant prediction. It's just a prayer for a win. We could all pray it.

That's not me having a pop at you, just observing. From reading through your breakdowns, assessments, analyses you have went from this side to that side and back again. It just doesn't add up to a now genuine belief that he wins..

From a TKO win 9th rd for Floyd to this utter confidence that Conor wins?

I don't buy it.

All due respect, you have your excuses if McGregor wins.. too many to list for me.

Maybe Wonder's posts are fanciful to you but most believe them to be well thought out. Yours on the other hand come across as a grumpy uncle who is tired of listening to anyone who doesn't know half as much as you do about combative sports.

We get it. You believe he will lose. I do too. I believe he has a 1% chance.

But to be honest Ireland had that same chance against Germany in the Aviva a few years ago. If everyone was like you they would have stayed home and maybe bothered to watch it on the tv. I was there. It was magic.

Unbelievable things can happen. Open your mind up a little.

Will I be disappointed if he loses. A little - he still stood up and risked his health stepping into the ring with one of the GOAT. **** it he will be walking away hopefully with an obscene amount of money. He put himself in that position, no one else.

But if he wins, and it's a BIG if, it'll be ****ing magical and wouldn't it be nice to live it while believing it all the way..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Dana says Conor won every single round against Paulie, gave him a bad beating that left them (Dana and Lorenzo) feeling really sorry for Paulie. Says he's not surprised and actually glad Paulie left the camp to prevent further damage to himself. Also says he has no interest in Conor v Paulie, said "I've seen that fight it didn't go well".

walshb wrote: »
    wonder, I don't believe that you genuinely think that Conor wins.

It's quite an easy stance to take, and I reckon your praying for what you think will be all the adulation should Conor win.

The easy stance to take is to predict a Floyd win because you don't get much negativity for predicting that :)

None of us know who will win. As in none of us are psychic and we're all just offering an opinion. Will I enjoy boxing purists like Max Kellerman having egg on their face if Conor wins? Sure! But not in a malicious way because Kellerman seems a really good guy who just happens to have a strong opinion on the fight :)

I would hope if Conor wins that he gets the credit he's due from the likes of Kellerman, Lampley, Tyson and the rest because it would be a phenomenal achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭threeball

All logic points to Mayweather winning easily but having watched the netflix documentary Counterpunch and seeing that Cam Awesome guy gaining the success he did by being pure awkward makes me wonder. Hes so unconventional he messes with good boxers heads and to look at him you'd wonder if he should change his name to Cam Awful but the guy lands over and over. It is possible that McGregor is just so unconventional he lands big too. Its the question that is the reason behind why this fight will sell so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dana says Conor won every single round against Paulie, gave him a bad beating that left them (Dana and Lorenzo) feeling really sorry for Paulie. Says he's not surprised and actually glad Paulie left the camp to prevent further damage to himself. Also says he has no interest in Conor v Paulie, said "I've seen that fight it didn't go well".

Dana said it..........so Paulie destroyed McG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Could well be true but I'll never believe a word that comes out of Danas mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Damage control... The idea that the lads, just as Conor was going through a 12 round bag session, all turned themselves off camera and were like, 'Quick, send Dana the text, get him to leak the footage! This looks terrible!' is laughable.

Sorry now but where did I mention " the lads"

I believe Dana white had that footage edited long before that interview, but dropped it at that time as a knee jerk reaction to people being unimpressed with what Mcgregor was doing..do we need to start reminding everyone how the public Reacted?

If not then, then perhaps at later stage, but I'm not buying that he preplanned it at that specific moment

Sorry now but where did I mention " the lads"

I believe Dana white had that footage edited long before that interview, but dropped it at that time as a knee jerk reaction to people being unimpressed with what Mcgregor was doing..

That's crazy talk. As Dana said in the interview I posted:

"Edited? What am I frickin Steven Spielberg!?".

The conspiracy theories are fun I guess but the truth is Dana is notoriously short fused and 100% happy with throwing any fighter under the bus. Look at Woodley!

I think Dana just had enough of Paulie doing 500 interviews going around saying Conor sucks and thought "right enough of this sh1t" and posted it. The vibe I got from Dana's interview is he genuinely thinks Paulie is delusional.

If they're ALL lying - John, Owen, Tiernan, Artem, Dana, Dashon, Gerry - if they're literally all a pack of liars, they're putting in some Oscar-worthy performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

You better believe it isnt far fetched. At the time of his workout it was apparent across multiple social media platforms that the general view was that he was not looking good whatsoever. Dana White was there and i'm absolutely sure that he released that footage an hour afterwards to distract the attention away from the training and focus in on a sparring clip with Malignaggi instead. It was a great PR move by him.

Do you think he would have released it if people were in awe at what Conor was like during the workout? I very very very much doubt so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

That's crazy talk. As Dana said in the interview I posted:

"Edited? What am I frickin Steven Spielberg!?".

The conspiracy theories are fun I guess but the truth is Dana is notoriously short fused and 100% happy with throwing any fighter under the bus. Look at Woodley!

I think Dana just had enough of Paulie doing 500 interviews going around saying Conor sucks and thought "right enough of this sh1t" and posted it. The vibe I got from Dana's interview is he genuinely thinks Paulie is delusional.

If they're ALL lying - John, Owen, Tiernan, Artem, Dana, Dashon, Gerry - if they're literally all a pack of liars, they're putting in some Oscar-worthy performances.

Why not release it on the Wednesday or Thursday then? This week would have been perfect, closer to the fight, allow Paulie to run his mouth some more, and now that camps are starting to taper down there isnt much to actually talk about from both camps other than build the fight.
    But an hour after a public workout from Conor, THAT was the best time? Why?

xtal191 wrote: »

Great video Xtal.

Picking Conor: Emil Meek, Cynthia Cavillo, Stevie Ray, Paul Craig, Gunni Nelson, Khalil Rountree

Rooting for Conor: Overeem, Jo-Jo Calderwood

Picking Floyd: Claudia Gadehla, Micky Gall, Paul Felder, Santiago Ponzinibbio, Kevin Lee, Kamari Usman

Funny that 38 out of 39 fighters picked Nate for the Diaz 2 rematch and we already have 6 on record picking Conor to beat Floyd. Mad!

gilmour wrote: »
    Why not release it on the Wednesday or Thursday then? This week would have been perfect, closer to the fight, allow Paulie to run his mouth some more, and now that camps are starting to taper down there isnt much to actually talk about from both camps other than build the fight.
    But an hour after a public workout from Conor, THAT was the best time? Why?

Call me cynical but I imagine closer to the fight Conor is going to kick one of those "juicehead monkeys" in the face or lob a Monster drink at one of them OR more likely, Floyd brings the Stockton 209 crew to the weigh ins and mayhem ensues.

I'm half joking with all of the above but half serious also. Conor is no dummy, he knows that PPV sales skyrocket from fight week drama. Something is going to go down that will make the Paulie sparring footage look like Songs of Praise.... i.e. boring, change channel!

Can you imagine when Conor beats Floyd and then goes and takes Woodleys belt on the December 30th card?

Beats one of the best boxers of all-time and then claims an unprecedented 3rd world title in the UFC.

He'll be fighter of the year guaranteed :) Khabib and Ferguson couldn't even moan that much either they've been sat twiddling their thumbs for over a year doing nothing!

Also, when Conor beats Floyd he's never being stripped of a belt in the UFC ever again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I just heard Ariel saying he never got paid for that terrible ppv "experience" nonsense in Manchester.

Hopefully the next time that shower of crooks attempt to run something like this Conor tell's them to GTFO and fans don't line their pockets while they rip people like Airl off. You can tell Conor genuinely likes Ariel and appreciates his support and the coverage he gave him early on so I'd say he'd give those lads a wide berth in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

To be fair, that was a big part of it, a lot of people were unimpressed with what Conor brought to that workout....Leaking that footage was effectively damage control

That workout and bag work was woeful
    Terrible stance and movement , didn't seem to
    Be able to flow with the movement of the bag

• Advertisement

You can't be serious??

So, they are doing the media workout, social media start laughing and so Conor's people go 'Ah crap, quick, somebody edit the footage and we'll release it!"

First of all. NOTHING that Conor did at that media workout wasn't specifically planned. All of it was deliberate with an eye to giving nothing away and do something which people might say 'What the hell was that about?' in response to.

Secondly, they timed the release of that footage to perfection as it was released within minutes of Conor and his time doing three or four interviews each. Ariel even watched the clip during Conor's interview.

The fact that they think there is some credence in publishing a spar with maliniaggi says it all, if they think Paulie has credibility in terms of
    Top level boxing now they are in dreamland .

Great video Xtal.

Picking Conor: Emil Meek, Cynthia Cavillo, Stevie Ray, Paul Craig, Gunni Nelson, Khalil Rountree

Rooting for Conor: Overeem, Jo-Jo Calderwood

Picking Floyd: Claudia Gadehla, Micky Gall, Paul Felder, Santiago Ponzinibbio, Kevin Lee, Kamari Usman

Funny that 38 out of 39 fighters picked Nate for the Diaz 2 rematch and we already have 6 on record picking Conor to beat Floyd. Mad!

Conor said he would ko Diaz in 2, he was wrong
    And if Conor wasn't such a cash cow for ufc he prob
    Wouldn't have got the decision in the second fight

section4 wrote: »
    The fact that they think there is some credence in publishing a spar with maliniaggi says it all, if they think Paulie has credibility in terms of
    Top level boxing now they are in dreamland .

They made the few seconds public to shut Paulie up more than anything as he was making McGregor sound like he couldn't throw a punch and was just shoving Paulie over in the ring out of frustration as he 'beat the brakes' off him.

Releasing the footage showed that McGregor can a least form a fist in anger when faced with someone graced in the sweet science and it does appear also to have reignited interest in the fight where, tbh, I felt it was somewhat dimmed in the midst of knockdown-gate.

So, mission accomplished and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

xtal191 wrote: »

Shows how silly they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

section4 wrote:
    Conor said he would ko Diaz in 2, he was wrong And if Conor wasn't such a cash cow for ufc he prob Wouldn't have got the decision in the second fight

So you're suggesting the judges were corrupt and gave the decision to Conor because he makes the UFC money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I just heard Ariel saying he never got paid for that terrible ppv "experience" nonsense in Manchester.

Hopefully the next time that shower of crooks attempt to run something like this Conor tell's them to GTFO and fans don't line their pockets while they rip people like Airl off. You can tell Conor genuinely likes Ariel and appreciates his support and the coverage he gave him early on so I'd say he'd give those lads a wide berth in future.

He's doing one in Scotland next month I believe with them, pretty sure they are a gang of travelers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So you're suggesting the judges were corrupt and gave the decision to Conor because he makes the UFC money?
    I don't think that's what he he suggesting.
    I'd guess he doesn't understand how fightsvare scores, be who scores the fights - or just spouting nonsense the doesn't even believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Im always interested to hear the reasoning from people who say Conor got the nod because it was in the UFC'S interests. If someone comes out with a statement like that then it needs to be backed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Im always interested to hear the reasoning from people who say Conor got the nod because it was in the UFC'S interests. If someone comes out with a statement like that then it needs to be backed up.

Section4's first ever post on boards about MMA was to claim the McGregor v Mendes fight was a fix. I think that's all we need to know about him. A quick glance through his post history will show his anti McGregor bias very clearly. Pro boxing + anti McGregor equals not ugh common sense or balanced opinion is to be expected from his posts between now and fight night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,611 ✭✭✭✭walshb

everlast75 wrote: »
    All due respect, you have your excuses if McGregor wins.. too many to list for me.

Maybe Wonder's posts are fanciful to you but most believe them to be well thought out. Yours on the other hand come across as a grumpy uncle who is tired of listening to anyone who doesn't know half as much as you do about combative sports.

We get it. You believe he will lose. I do too. I believe he has a 1% chance.

I don't think I have any excuses ready.....

If I did, what could they be?

Injury is not an excuse. It happens. DQ is not an excuse, it happens. I am left with Conor via KO. No excuse there.

Unless you think there's a fix in place, and I'll use this?

I happen to think that D most unlikely thing ever to happen would be Floyd taking a dive or agreeing to lose....

You give Conor a 1 percent chance. In other words you really think he has next to no chance. Same as myself. I think he has next to no chance.

You say wonder's posts are well thought out. I don't see that. I do see a lot of effort put in, but for me it doesn't add up to a true belief that Conor wins.

If well thought out equals coming to the conclusion that he wins because Conor is so confident and rises to the big occasion, so be it. I just don't see this as well thought out.

Conor having a few tune up fights to see what he is like in the ring would serve up a far more believable call, should Conor look good and impressive and relaxed and easy and natural in the ring...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement