Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Aldo moving around with an olympian, an mma fighter landing shots on a boxer wonder what the boxing purists think of this? (olympian wasnt trying hard will be the excuse probably)

Thats the same Aldo McGregor slept in less than 13 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,611 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gamebred wrote: »

Aldo moving around with an olympian, an mma fighter landing shots on a boxer wonder what the boxing purists think of this? (olympian wasnt trying hard will be the excuse probably)

I think and have always thought that Aldo was a good mover and had good boxing skills....

Aldo for me looks easier and more relaxed and natural in boxing than Conor.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here as regards the fight on August 26...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

walshb wrote: »
    I think and have always thought that Aldo was a good mover and had good boxing skills....

Aldo for me looks easier and more relaxed and natural in boxing than Conor.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here as regards the fight on August 26...

The point is he can look like a better boxer and he still got KO'd in 13 seconds from a **** boxer in many's opinion
    Its the arrogance of boxing fans thats starting to get on my tits, like its some god like sport and how things should be. Its 2 men beating each other to a pulp there is nothing gentlemanly about it.

They all do things different UNTIL the game changes and no one has a clue what to do.

Again its a smack of arrogance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

You play both ends of the field well when it suits you walshb. High and mighty, arrogant all knowing boxing expert and MMA dismisser, then at the flip of a switch you play dumb pretending you don't know what point a poster is trying to make.

It's pretty obvious what the poster was implying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

arrogance is best way to describe it
    you would swear it was a golfer fighting a 30 year old floyd the way lads are talking

its a guy in his prime fighting a guy who is well past his best
    thats why hes got a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You play both ends of the field well when it suits you walshb. High and mighty, arrogant all knowing boxing expert and MMA dismisser, then at the flip of a switch you play dumb pretending you don't know what point a poster is trying to make.

I'm unsure what the relevance of the Aldo clip is to Aug 26th as well, the clips shows Aldo in a boxing stance with a high guard, decent footwork. These are all of the things McGregor has been criticised for not having.

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'm unsure what the relevance of the Aldo clip is to Aug 26th as well, the clips shows Aldo in a boxing stance with a high guard, decent footwork. These are all of the things McGregor has been criticised for not having.

You really don't see the relevance? Or you are just pretending you don't see the relevance? Take 5 minutes, think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Never mind the fact that in the video Aldo gets completely outworked and jabbed to bits.

The myth being perpetrated around here to drum up the surge mentality and the "nobody is giving Conor the respect he deserves" angle is that when people like Max Kellerman say McGregor "won't land a single punch" they are saying that his gloves won't make contact with Floyd. That's not what they're saying though - they're saying nothing effective will hit him through his guard, for example the straight left that went down Malignaggi's pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sc86 wrote: »
    arrogance is best way to describe it
    you would swear it was a golfer fighting a 30 year old floyd the way lads are talking

its a guy in his prime fighting a guy who is well past his best
    thats why hes got a chance

The guy in his prime is in his prime in another sport. The guy well past his best is one one of the best at the sport they are competing ever.

• Advertisement

Sorry, pal. I have no idea what you are on about here.

Switches, flicking, playing dumb.....

Not sure what this has to do with an Aldo clip sparring a boxer....

Does it all tie back somehow into Conor vs. Floyd August 26?

The point is he can look like a better boxer and he still got KO'd in 13 seconds from a **** boxer in many's opinion
    Its the arrogance of boxing fans thats starting to get on my tits, like its some god like sport and how things should be. Its 2 men beating each other to a pulp there is nothing gentlemanly about it.

They all do things different UNTIL the game changes and no one has a clue what to do.

Again its a smack of arrogance.

Not sure what this has to do with what I said....

Aldo looks good in a sparring clip. Is there more to that?

IMO he looks more comfortable boxing than Conor. Looks.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Gamebred wrote: »

Do you think he was going at full tilt there? Aldo moved around well but it wasn't a full on spar or even close.

He was eating jabs as well, he did land a nice counter though in his defence. But that guy was not pushing it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Not sure what this has to do with what I said....

Aldo looks good in a sparring clip. Is there more to that?

IMO he looks more comfortable boxing than Conor. Looks.......

Thanks Cus

You really don't see the relevance? Or you are just pretending you don't see the relevance? Take 5 minutes, think about it.

Nope still don't see it, want to point it out to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I just heard Ariel saying he never got paid for that terrible ppv "experience" nonsense in Manchester.
    I might be remembering it wrong but I thought at the time he didn't want to get paid?

He got a lot of stick for being on the UFCs payroll during the whole Lesnar thing. People talking about conflict of interest etc. It was a big part of that monologue he did where he was crying. So I thought he came out and said he wanted to make it clear he was there as a journalist (probably paid in that capacity by his website) and would ask Conor whatever questions he wanted.

Maybe I am just imagining this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I think the Jose Aldo footage perfectly summarises the attitude of boxing purists if you trace it back to the beginning.

July 2017:

Robert Garcia: "The only way Conor can beat Mayweather is he uses some of "the mma moves" and even then I'm not so sure, man. Michael Jordan has 6 basketball titles he has as much chance as Conor, they're different sports."

August 4th, 2017:

Starts working with Aldo:

Robert Garcia: "MMA fighters do punch but they just swing wildly and if they land they knock someone out. They just swing man, anybody gets knocked out in 4oz's".

3:17

August 8th, 2017:

Robert Garcia: "(I'm not surprised how well he's doing) Jose is already a fighter so it's not the same as bringing in someone who has never competed before"

August 15th, 2017:

Robert Garcia visibly pretty surprised and pleased with how Aldo looked against a Pan-American champion level boxer:

The Aldo sparring sums it all up for me. Boxing purists like Robert Garcia go in with some preconceived idea of MMA like it's still the wild-west-days with Don Frye. They speak from a position of ignorance about the sport and about the skills of the fighters. They rubbish the idea of an MMA fighter even beating their worst club-level-boxer.

Then something like this happens where a decent level MMA striker comes to the gym and within a week he's not just doing ok against a club-level guy, he's hanging in there with a top level Pan-American-champion boxer, making the purist look foolish for their previous comments.

Win or lose, I expect Conor to have a similar effect on boxing purists and the wider world that MMA is an extremely skilled sport with technical striking and phenomenal athletes that can hang in there with professional boxers.

A lot of the criticism and abuse Conor is getting comes from a position of ignorance on the sport of MMA and about Conor himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Call me cynical but I imagine closer to the fight Conor is going to kick one of those "juicehead monkeys" in the face or lob a Monster drink at one of them OR more likely, Floyd brings the Stockton 209 crew to the weigh ins and mayhem ensues.

I'm half joking with all of the above but half serious also. Conor is no dummy, he knows that PPV sales skyrocket from fight week drama. Something is going to go down that will make the Paulie sparring footage look like Songs of Praise.... i.e. boring, change channel!

I suspect that he's going to be too focused on his final preparations to care about promoting at that stage. He's already getting silly money for this, so he has more incentive to maximise his winning chances than to sell a few more PPVs. Maybe his camp will release a few more seconds of carefully selected sparring, or something, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

section4 wrote: »
    Conor said he would ko Diaz in 2, he was wrong
    And if Conor wasn't such a cash cow for ufc he prob
    Wouldn't have got the decision in the second fight

He knocked Nate down in rounds 1 & 2, and he won round 4 because Nate (in my opinion) expended too much energy in round 3. Once it went to the judges, I don't see how the decision could have gone any other way.

• Advertisement

Boxing purists like Robert Garcia go in with some preconceived idea of MMA like it's still the wild-west-days with Don Frye.

A lot of the criticism and abuse Conor is getting comes from a position of ignorance on the sport of MMA and about Conor himself.

I think in fairness MMA striking is still mostly muck. We have guys on UFC main cards in 2017 with no footwork, throwing wild looping shots and running at their opponent hands-down to close distance. The average level today isn't that far evolved from the old days of fat bar brawlers.

If people from the boxing community are not watching every fight...if they're just catching the odd card here and there, it's understandable why they have a low opinion of MMA striking.

I'm sure that is the case in a lot of the criticism coming from the boxing side but the enormity of the challenge for McGregor to take on Mayweather can't be played down either.

If he can win it is an amazing achievement and I'll have no problem saying I was wrong but the evidence would suggest it's going to be very difficult for McGregor land his big shots on Mayweather. More than that he will more than likely need to land consistently to win the fight and it's hard to see Mayweather not figuring McGregor out over a few rounds.

Not all posters predicting a Mayweather win are anti-MMA or McGregor

And to add.

Not all predicting a very easy and comfy win and giving Conor next to no chance are anti MMA. I think that is what some folks don't get. They are taking offence to people, not just fans of boxing, giving Conor no chance.

Sorry, pal. I have no idea what you are on about here.

Switches, flicking, playing dumb.....

Not sure what this has to do with an Aldo clip sparring a boxer....

Does it all tie back somehow into Conor vs. Floyd August 26?

At least you didn't refute the 'high and mighty, arrogant all knowing boxing expert and MMA dismisser' part of my comment.

Not really, no. It seems to me like you might struggle to comprehend. I'll leave you to continue to think about what it could be if you may be so inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'm sure that is the case in a lot of the criticism coming from the boxing side but the enormity of the challenge for McGregor to take on Mayweather can't be played down either.

And to add.

Not all predicting a very easy and comfy win and giving Conor next to no chance are anti MMA. I think that is what some folks don't get. They are taking offence to people, not just fans of boxing, giving Conor no chance.

Agree with both of you but the biggest problem I have with the likes of Robert Garcia is that they speak so dismissively of MMA when it's clear they haven't watched an MMA fight in their life.

If people watch both sports and have seen all of Conor's fights and still give him next-to-no-chance, they're at least giving an informed opinion and you can only respect that opinion.

Whereas the likes of Robert Garcia, Jim Lampley, Jim Gray, Steve Bunce etc have clearly never watched an MMA fight in their life but they still dismiss anyone from the sport - until, like Garcia, they get up close with a fairly elite striker and realise the disparity isn't as wide as they thought.

Luke Thomas was saying something similar yesterday. He feels that a lot of boxing pundits and boxing fans view MMA as if it's still 2002 in terms of the striking, skills and athleticism of MMA fighters.

I know for a while we had the debate on here whether this fight represented MMA v Boxing but the truth is Conor himself has made this about MMA v boxing. He's proud to represent MMA and the UFC and sees this as an opportunity to show people what mixed martial artists are capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This is the kind of shot I see McGregor troubling Mayweather with (and Maidana only had a 69" reach too - McGregor's is 74):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Agree with both of you but the biggest problem I have with the likes of Robert Garcia is that they speak so dismissively of MMA when it's clear they haven't watched an MMA fight in their life.

If people watch both sports and have seen all of Conor's fights and still give him next-to-no-chance, they're at least giving an informed opinion and you can only respect that opinion.

Whereas the likes of Robert Garcia, Jim Lampley, Jim Gray, Steve Bunce etc have clearly never watched an MMA fight in their life but they still dismiss anyone from the sport - until, like Garcia, they get up close with a fairly elite striker and realise the disparity isn't as wide as they thought.

Luke Thomas was saying something similar yesterday. He feels that a lot of boxing pundits and boxing fans view MMA as if it's still 2002 in terms of the striking, skills and athleticism of MMA fighters.

I know for a while we had the debate on here whether this fight represented MMA v Boxing but the truth is Conor himself has made this about MMA v boxing. He's proud to represent MMA and the UFC and sees this as an opportunity to show people what mixed martial artists are capable of.

For me at least its never been about MMA vs Boxing, although i can see that angle being created to help sell the fight.

I think part of the likes of Garcia etc taking such a stiff line against MMA can be attributed to how Conor speaks about this fight, the "I am boxing" mantra and high confidence. I'll admit I am a Conor fan, but some of the carry on and crap over the past while gets a little but boring after a while. I could see them taking their stance against that, and also the fact that he hasn't gone through the boxing ranks at all, no amateur record at any level, no boxing championships etc, and here he is against Mayweather for a fortune.

I could be wrong of course, but thinking about that made sense to me as to why they would be so pissed off/dismissive. If Conor was going up against someone else to properly take a run at boxing with a bit more humility, I think there would be less hostility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And to add.

It's not what you say, it's the way that you say it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Couldn't sleep last night so and my head was going a bit loopy, had a vision of McGregor knocking floyd out and people saying 'Floyd was too old, he couldn't beat Canelo/GGG' heh... cool story bro

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement