Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,611 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This wont go down well but a boxing snob could say Conor cant tap out and quit August 26th (runs for cover)

Of course he can quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This wont go down well but a boxing snob could say Conor cant tap out and quit August 26th (runs for cover)

Of course he can that's silly.

What do you think Roberto Duran did?

Boxers "tap out and quit" every single week. They either sit on their stool, have their corner throw a towel or just look to the ref and say they've had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The part in bold is garbage,he has faced plently of boxers that would beat him in a street fight ,and hes going into the knowing fine well hes the clear fav for this.Theres no mind games.

Fully agree, the sooner it stops the better.

Even Schuab was saying its stupid on his podcast yesterday!

Jump to 8:40 in this video.

Of course he can that's silly.

What do you think Roberto Duran did?

Boxers "tap out and quit" every single week. They either sit on their stool, have their corner throw a towel or just look to the ref and say they've had enough.

But to your original statement that MMA guys are now the toughest guys out there, does the above make boxers less so or something? Just trying to understand your reasoning behind saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

At the start maybe . Then he will land at will i think.

Agreed, which is why I only given Conor a has chance of winning the fight in the early rounds.

Or at the very least do some damage early on (cut eye or whatever) otherwise it becomes a boxing clinic I feel.

Don't see either of them winning by decision or KO.

Fight has TKO written all over it, most likely by Floyd, which makes those 11/4 odds a cracking bet.

But I'd never bet against the fighter or team I was rooting for to win. Sacrilege.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    Fully agree, the sooner it stops the better.

The person saying "Conor would kill Floyd in a street fight" the most has been...

Conor.

He's been saying it repeatedly for weeks that he'd dismantle Floyd limb from limb in a "real fight". He said it to his face at every staredown during the World Tour.

If it was "stupid" and "meaningless" why is Conor constantly reminding Floyd he'd kill him in a "real fight"? He's obviously doing it for a reason to drill into Floyd's skull that Floyd is the inferior fighter, regardless of his status as the superior boxer.

He's not saying it for "no reason". Conor is very calculated in what he says and what he doesn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Do all these boxing morons taking the mick out of Conor's 'rubber arms' thing not realise it was just a bloody warm up to loosen out his arms (which I presume is very very beneficial for boxing)

I really hope he wins this fight just so he can laugh at all these boxing snobs. It would be absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The person saying "Conor would kill Floyd in a street fight" the most has been...

Conor.

He's been saying it repeatedly for weeks that he'd dismantle Floyd limb from limb in a "real fight". He said it to his face at every staredown during the World Tour.

If it was "stupid" and "meaningless" why is Conor constantly reminding Floyd he'd kill him in a "real fight"? He's obviously doing it for a reason to drill into Floyd's skull that Floyd is the inferior fighter, regardless of his status as the superior boxer.

He's not saying it for "no reason". Conor is very calculated in what he says and what he doesn't say.

Do you genuinely believe he thinks that will upset or trouble Mayweather in any way? Do you believe it will?

But to your original statement that MMA guys are now the toughest guys out there, does the above make boxers less so or something? Just trying to understand your reasoning behind saying that.

No, boxers are tough competitors but they're just very basic, functional, limited fighters and don't have the reputation that mixed martial artists have.

Do you genuinely believe he thinks that will upset or trouble Mayweather in any way? Do you believe it will?

I think Floyd has a massive, fragile ego and yeah I think it'll get into his head and inspire him to be a bit more aggressive against Conor to make a point. He's too experienced to "do an Aldo" but I think he'll be keen to try show people he's the "alpha".

Neither of us can prove it though. If Conor wins, I can't say "a-ha it was all the mind games!" because that'd be silly. Same if he loses.

• Advertisement

Conor.

Yes Conor has been saying it, and then you have been repeating it in here as well to reiterate it again and again. Its exhausting.

As Schuab and Rapaport basically said on their podcast, its meaningless to say it, it means nothing. He can sing it from the rafters all he wants but it won't make a difference at all.

Why? Because it will never happen.

Floyd knows this more than the rest of us as well. Conor is trying to get a mental 1 up on him by saying it, but as much as he could do, he won't do it, easy and simple as that.

Floyd won't be fazed by it in the slightest. This "real fight" crap is just flat out dumb.

No, boxers are tough competitors but they're just very basic, functional, limited fighters and don't have the reputation that mixed martial artists have.

What reputation is that? Boxing and boxers have been around for pretty much a century.

You are just being silly by saying that they are "basic" and "limited". An elite boxer is far from those, saying they are just gives off this new age elitism that some MMA fans try and sing off on.

It's pathetic.

Do all these boxing morons taking the mick out of Conor's 'rubber arms' thing not realise it was just a bloody warm up to loosen out his arms (which I presume is very very beneficial for boxing)

It was a bit of a troll too. He sat on the edge of the ring and spoke about sparring Dashon and Dashon was sitting just down from him. Then he got in the ring, looked around, and started doing those rubber arms and air punching, then got out. He knew that of all the things he did that day, what he did in the boxing ring would be what the media (particularly the boxing media) would all report on and now you have this McGregorChallange thing going on as a result.

https://twitter.com/CassandraJFOX5/status/897482921384095746

If he wins the fight, they will look back on it as a genius move. If he loses, they'll continue to laugh at the mad mma guy from Ireland.... as he climbs the rich list. Win win I guess, depends on your perspective.
    I really hope he wins this fight just so he can laugh at all these boxing snobs. It would be absolutely brilliant

Absolutely.........

If he wins, that aspect of it all (watching all the nay sayers have to eat their words) would a fcuking joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Everyone realises it was a warm-up. It simply looks funny which makes it an easy target for memes and the like. Nothing to do with "snobbery".

If he loses the fight, do "boxing morons" get to laugh at you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Conor.

hes saying he would dismantle him limb from limb in a real fight as he knows theres a seriously big chance he will be schooled in the boxing bout on aug 26th

What reputation is that? Boxing and boxers have been around for pretty much a century.

You are just being silly by saying that they are "basic" and "limited". An elite boxer is far from those, saying they are just gives off this new age elitism that some MMA fans try and sing off on.

It's pathetic.

You're sounding like you boxed for many years and are a bit defensive about the sweet science :)

I don't mean to sound dismissive but everyone knows that boxers are very limited in the weapons they can use in unarmed combat. They're very proficient with their hands but that's literally it! They don't know how to defend themselves or attack when the fight hits the ground, they don't know how to attack or defend kicks, knees, elbows...

An elite boxer doesn't last a minute against a top 2,000 MMA fighter in a "true fight". That's nothing against boxing it's just stating the obvious.

Conor keeps repeating this to Floyd for a reason.

This labeling of "people" who think Conor gets eaten alive as boxing snobs? The dumbest thing about this thread!

akelly02 wrote: »
    hes saying he would dismantle him limb from limb in a real fight as he knows theres a seriously big chance he will be schooled in the boxing bout on aug 26th

Certainly possible. Floyd is a big favourite for a reason. Phenomenal boxer. Some of his combinations are breathtaking, I love watching his old fights.

I don't think Conor's the type to look for pre-emptive excuses though, so I do think he's saying it for other reasons.

An elite boxer doesn't last a minute against a top 2,000 MMA fighter in a "true fight". That's nothing against boxing it's just stating the obvious.

When you can show this ridiculous claim to be anywhere near true give us a all a shout....

You seem fixated on the nasty side of all this MMA-Boxing talk. You keep bringing up strangling and ripping heads off and street fights..

FFS, leave it out.....we're in the 21st century. Where's the peace and love and goodwill to all men?

You actually don't promote or do MMA any decent service with this talk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

walshb wrote: »
    When you can show this ridiculous claim to be anywhere near true give us a all a shout....

You seem fixated on the nasty side of all this MMA-Boxing talk. You keep bringing up strangling and ripping heads off and street fights..

FFS, leave it out.....we're in the 21st century. Where's the peace and love and goodwill to all men?

You actually don't promote or do MMA any decent service with this talk...

Guy by the name of Gracie sort of solved that argument back in 1993.

• Advertisement

If he loses the fight, do "boxing morons" get to laugh at you?

They only get to laugh at the MMA fans who said McGregor would win easy and Floyd wouldn't land a punch.
    This labeling of "people" who think Conor gets eaten alive as boxing snobs? The dumbest thing about this thread!

Come on, Walshie, some of the nonsense from boxing fans has been ridiculous and calling them "boxing snobs" is a pretty damn apt.

Sure you're on record as saying that YOU would have the very same chance of KO'ing Floyd as McGregor does.

Don't you think that's kinda snobbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If he does manage to pull it off you'll just here the same oul ****e.

It's a fix, early stoppage, Mayweather was past it, too old. GGG will batter him, Until he fights him he's ****e.

True, look how quick they've ghosted 'the magic man' who only retired in March.

Sure you're on record as saying that YOU would have the very same chance of KO'ing Floyd as McGregor does.

Well, seeing as I give Conor next to no hope of doing it it's not like I am that far off.....

I said it, but it hardly makes me a snob. People can say plenty on this about Conor having next to no hope, and they can use plenty of descriptions and analogies. We know what they mean, and it doesn't make them snobs.

Plus, just me.....I have hundreds of posts on this. Yes, most are to really dismiss Conor's chances, but I have also praised and pointed out positives for Conor as regards this..

This snobbish angle belong thrown at boxing fans? It's not just boxing fans and "experts" who think Conor is going to get thoroughly beaten.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    If he does manage to pull it off you'll just here the same oul ****e.

It's a fix, early stoppage, Mayweather was past it, too old. GGG will batter him, Until he fights him he's ****e.

You are preempting this. Wait and see and wait and see how the fight pans out...

You're sounding like you boxed for many years and are a bit defensive about the sweet science :)

I don't mean to sound dismissive but everyone knows that boxers are very limited in the weapons they can use in unarmed combat. They're very proficient with their hands but that's literally it! They don't know how to defend themselves or attack when the fight hits the ground, they don't know how to attack or defend kicks, knees, elbows...

Conor keeps repeating this to Floyd for a reason.

Here we go again with this "true fight" nonsense. How do you know that a boxer wouldn't last a minute? The boxer lands a clean punch on the face of the MMA fighter in MMA gloves with the first punch...I wonder how that would go? :confused:

I think you are aware that you are sounding dismissive, thats why you are saying it.

You are giving off a strong sense of elitism with the above post, its pretty painful to see after all the giving out you do about the "boxing elite" over the past while.

Boxing has a set of rules just like MMA does, and fighters perform within those set of rules. Just because the ruleset is different doesn't mean that one sport is tougher over the other. You saying that boxing is limited and then implying that MMA is tougher just stinks of ignorance.

Conor might as well say that he would beat Floyd in the 100m sprint, it would have the same effect.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Guy by the name of Gracie sort of solved that argument back in 1993.

What argument?

wonder must know that every elite boxer can't do anything but throw a punch should he be walking down a dark alley and get confronted by any of the top 2000 MMA fighters on earth.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What argument?

Which martial art is most effective in a very limited rules situation.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Which martial art is most effective in a very limited rules situation.

Oh, I thought you were saying that he (Gracie) solved the 'wonder' argument, that any top 2000 MMA fighter beats any elite boxer in a "true" fight....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement