Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Naos wrote: »
    You do realise he could literally crawl over to Floyd and take him down right? Or hit him with an imanari roll? He just need to snag a foot, it's not that difficult and Floyd would have a very hard time punching down considering he wouldn't be used to it.

Of course he could. Alternatively, the world class boxer could potentially throw one punch at him in 4oz gloves and put his lights out.

Fair enough, most people are of the opinion that it will be quite the crazy spectacle to witness even if there is an element of freakshow/circus about it. I thought you "liked" MMA? Embrace the chaos of it all :)

I think the whole show and event will be quite the spectacle. I'm not entirely sure the actual boxing match will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No helmet and rowing technique even worse (more inefficient) than before :(

Gerry Byrne's technique very good. Why can't he have a quiet word with Conor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I doubt he cares, that's why. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    An intelligent man wouldn't gamble borrowed money.

:) Visa Debit :)

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I doubt he cares, that's why. :D

True, it's just weird... $100 million fight and he's expending probably anywhere from 10-20% more energy than necessary due to his bad technique (according to a rower I asked online but maybe he pulled that stat from thin air). Something that could be fixed in what, 30 seconds if someone showed him how to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nobody has the balls to correct him Wonder you know this, I seen his photographer fogarty got some tattoo with one of Conors quotes pmsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

expending probably anywhere from 10-20% more energy than necessary.

Isn't that exactly the point though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

No helmet and rowing technique even worse (more inefficient) than before :(

Gerry Byrne's technique very good. Why can't he have a quiet word with Conor...

The rowing is dreadful. Im surprised his coaching team havent sorted it out. Surely he is at a higher risk from bad technique.

Unless and its a big unless this is a proven rowing technique. Has boards a rowing thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

El Caballo wrote: »

At 19 years of age, Floyd Mayweather had an Olympic Bronze Medal and Conor McGregor had an underage All-ireland,

no he never had an All Ireland medal. He won an underage Dublin Novice Medal.

• Advertisement

Precisely. He's not trying to improve as a rower, he's trying to push his heart rate to a particular level. Doesn't need to be Steve Redgrave.

Still, given he's ten days out from a boxing match, his ****e form probably has a higher risk of injury.

Besides, I thought the versa climber was the machine all elite athletes are using to push their cardio these days.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Nobody has the balls to correct him Wonder you know this, I seen his photographer fogarty got some tattoo with one of Conors quotes pmsl.

Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

The rowing is dreadful. Im surprised his coaching team havent sorted it out. Surely he is at a higher risk from bad technique.

Unless and its a big unless this is a proven rowing technique. Has boards a rowing thread?

The technique is extremely poor. However he isnt training to row across the Atlantic, he is simply there to elevate his heart rate and improve his cardio which regardless of form he will achieve..

Think of it in terms of punches. If you can throw 50 punches and win round 1, that's much better than throwing 60 punches to do it, especially over a 12-round contest.

Same principle. The more energy he wastes due to bad technique, it's going to cost him in the long run.

I asked around some amateur rowers on the internet and they think his technique is an absolute laughing stock - risking lower back issues on top of wasting so much energy.

I'm no scientist but the way he's rowing he's pulling back while his body is moving forwards. He's working against himself.

The proper technique is broken down into 4-parts:

Catch
    Drive
    Finish
    Recovery

You're supposed to be at full extension of your legs and your bum stationary at the finish position. Conor is all over the place.

SMH. I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

rogieop wrote: »
    The technique is extremely poor. However he isnt training to row across the Atlantic, he is simply there to elevate his heart rate and improve his cardio which regardless of form he will achieve..

Im more worried about an injury. Is he at a higher risk of injury rowing like that?

Think of it in terms of punches. If you can throw 50 punches and win round 1, that's much better than throwing 60 punches to do it, especially over a 12-round contest.

My understanding was that he just wants to be in the max heart rate zone for a period of time. And the rowing achieves that , poor technique or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

True, it's just weird... $100 million fight and he's expending probably anywhere from 10-20% more energy than necessary due to his bad technique (according to a rower I asked online but maybe he pulled that stat from thin air). Something that could be fixed in what, 30 seconds if someone showed him how to do it.

I think it's a mistake by the McGregor camp not to bring in a proper boxing trainer. Not that it would make much difference to the outcome of this fight, but might have helped him learn some basics, to at least avoid disqualification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I think it's a mistake by the McGregor camp not to bring in a proper boxing trainer. Not that it would make much difference to the outcome of this fight, but might have helped him learn some basics, to at least avoid disqualification.

He's not some idiot he doesnt need someone to teach him he knows the rules, weather he plays to them is another discussion altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Im more worried about an injury. Is he at a higher risk of injury rowing like that?

Possibly for his lower back, maybe considering how flexible he is and all the stretching he does he is at less risk? Ive seen a few of the other SBG lads at the same, Keifer crosbie is one that springs to mind. I think they just dont care about technique once they are getting their heart rate going.

Ross Pearson is another one, i watch some of his training videos and im screaming at the screen. These lads flipping tyres with completely rounded backs etc etc. Its madness.

And while im at it check out some of Rio Ferdinands "home work outs" and this guy has a full time trainer with him :D Technique all over the place.

Same principle. The more energy he wastes due to bad technique, it's going to cost him in the long run.

I asked around some amateur rowers on the internet and they think his technique is an absolute laughing stock - risking lower back issues on top of wasting so much energy.

I'm no scientist but the way he's rowing he's pulling back while his body is moving forwards. He's working against himself.

The proper technique is broken down into 4-parts:

Catch
    Drive
    Finish
    Recovery

You're supposed to be at full extension of your legs and your bum stationary at the finish position. Conor is all over the place.

SMH. I don't get it.

As the poster said above, that's only wasted energy if he was actually rowing somewhere. He's not going to row Mayweather to death, it's just serving as a purpose to raise heart rate and maintain it.

• Advertisement

As the poster said above, that's only wasted energy if he was actually rowing somewhere. He's not going to row Mayweather to death, it's just serving as a purpose to raise heart rate and maintain it.

He has an underwater treadmill to use, why waste energy on the rower ...

The underwater treadmill is apparently really good for being gentle on the muscles etc and he won't hurt his back.

Ah I don't even know why I care about his rowing technique but I do. Similar story when I see people use "you're" instead of "your". It just annoys me :pac:

The underwater treadmill is apparently really good for being gentle on the muscles etc and he won't hurt his back.

The rowing, I'd imagine, will make him hit peak heart rate more quickly. Takes longer on a treadmill.
    I don't disagree with your point of his technique being poor but it really doesn't matter as it serves it's purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

any chance off keeping boxin fans to boxing forum
    mma fans to mma forum

its at least a week since and sensible disccusion and gettin worse by the day

I presume the rower is used because it's part of the conditioning program he flogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

sc86 wrote: »
    mma fans to mma forum

that is stupid suggestion. People can be both, boxing fans will have more of an insight on mayweather than you

sc86 wrote: »
    mma fans to mma forum

You'll see a mass exodus if Conor lands the left hand and beats Floyd :pac:

You'll see a mass exodus if Conor lands the left hand and beats Floyd :pac:

A few lads round here will be keeping pretty quiet if he loses too...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

rogieop wrote: »

every clip I've seen of him on the rowing machine, granted there's only a few, and he has awful technique in all of them.

He has an underwater treadmill to use, why waste energy on the rower ...

Ah I don't even know why I care about his rowing technique but I do. Similar story when I see people use "you're" instead of "your". It just annoys me :pac:

It takes ages to setup. Ya can just hop on a rower or a bike anyitme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tethered swimming will also get your heart rate up :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement