Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

sc86 wrote: »
    any chance off keeping boxin fans to boxing forum
    mma fans to mma forum

its at least a week since and sensible disccusion and gettin worse by the day

Why? It's a discussion forum. Everyone's opinion should be different. Otherwise where's the discussion? It's not an agreement forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

.ak wrote: »
    Why? It's a discussion forum. Everyone's opinion should be different. Otherwise where's the discussion? It's not an agreement forum.

the discussions stopped last week - was healthy debate up till that point
    now its just arguments over and over
    same lads argue with each other for the last few days nearly all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

A few lads round here will be keeping pretty quiet if he loses too...

Didn't happen when Diaz beat him so I doubt it'll happen when Mayweather wins either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Didn't happen when Diaz beat him so I doubt it'll happen when Mayweather wins either.

Perhaps. Will be interesting to see how McGregor's cheerleading team get on. Fogarty might not publish much for a while. Alternatively the "win or learn" ****e might come out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Elite Boxer vs MMA fighter in MMA fight: any top 2000 MMA fighter dominates an elite boxer, because, well...?
    When people say that they mean that the MMA fight wins most of the time. But nohing is 100% in sport, the boxer has a shot - the same way that Conor has a shot. That's all they each have.

Saying that a boxer has no chance at all, zero. Is pretty disrespectful to boxing as a martial art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

With Trump being President and Leicester City winning the PL at 5000/1 I doubt Conor KO'ing Mayweather is as farfetched as it sounds. It would shock me even more if it only took Mayweather one clean punch (like Aldo) to KO McGregor.

What is ludicrous are the short odds on McGregor. 0-0 vs 49-0 should not be remotely close, makes any kind of betting on this fight seem like robbery by the bookies. The ref getting punched in the fight at 100-1 though... looks tempting.

sc86 wrote: »
    the discussions stopped last week - was healthy debate up till that point
    now its just arguments over and over
    same lads argue with each other for the last few days nearly all day

That's true, but 'blocking' a certain demograph of fans is also not going to solve anything.

Boards is about encouraging discussion, not neutering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

:) Visa Debit :)

Back tracking.

• Advertisement

No helmet
    Flat pedals too. Surprised he doesn't have kids stabilizers and a bell on the handlebar. Absolute amateur hour.

Flat pedals too. Surprised he doesn't have kids stabilizers and a bell on the handlebar. Absolute amateur hour.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

.ak wrote: »
    That's true, but 'blocking' a certain demograph of fans is also not going to solve anything.

Boards is about encouraging discussion, not neutering it.

ah it was tongue in cheek :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Yeah but Chris Froome hasn't dealt with anyone so unorthodox before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow just watched the clip of him rowing and wow that's bad. It could actually be in the area where he could get hurt too when you look at what he's doing with his legs while he's still pulling away from the rower with his arms.

Bizarrely all the other guys have much better technique too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Conor going whizzing down to California tomorrow to be on the Conan show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

That rowing is atrocious.. Not to mention dangerous

Conor needs a real team around him..seriously John Kavanagh, who I like needs to get a grip and bring a few real assets in to assist.. Is basic form on a rowing machine for an athlete too much to expect?

At present he's got a bunch of yes men and his old buddies

It's a sad thought when you consider how much he's getting paid... It honestly makes me ponder about Paulies "cheap" comment

The bunch of lads around him look like a gathering of proper clowns..a circus

Pity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

It's whatever sells tickets/PPVs for Conor right now, He knows he can't beat Floyd Mayweather, But it doesn't do sales any good to admit it. He's going to the arena on the 26th to collect an ass whooping and a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's whatever sells tickets/PPVs for Conor right now, He knows he can't beat Floyd Mayweather, But it doesn't do sales any good to admit it. He's going to the arena on the 26th to collect an ass whooping and a cheque.

nope, he 100% believes he can beat him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Conor going whizzing down to California tomorrow to be on the Conan show.

Wonder if that's a fcuk you to Kimmel, as no doubt they would have wanted him on (and perhaps the Tonight Show to, Fallon) and they're the bigger networks too and so would have more pull.

Kimmel pulled the Rocky clip down rather than leaving it up, standing by him and taking the position that they didn't believe he was being racist.

Conan is just shown on a cable network these days and also I guess it also shows loyalty from McGregor as that was the first American chat show to have him on, before the Mendes fight I think. Fcuking hate Kimmel anyway. Will look forward to that for sure, been a good while since he did a chat show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Isn't John Kavanagh supposed to be appearing on Joe Rogan's podcast? They said something about needing to set a date when he was in California next. Seems like the right time seeing as Conor has to do his media stuff coming closer to the fight.

darced wrote: »

I will be insufferable.

Correction - more insufferable ;)
    Wonder if that's a fcuk you to Kimmel, as no doubt they would have wanted him on (and perhaps the Tonight Show to, Fallon) and they're the bigger networks too and so would have more pull.

Conan is a part-owner of the UFC. He will directly profit from this fight I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

People are saying it doesn't matter what his form is like on the rower, it serves a purpose. But it's just so bad it's hard to believe it's real.

From a guy who's obviously coordinated, excellent proprioception, one assumes rhythm too, it's really difficult to take seriously.

I totally get where wonder is coming from with it annoying him.

Someone should have sorted that out a long time ago. He could really mess up his lower back with the loads he's incorrectly subjecting it to.

Also, he'll get his HR up higher, for longer, if he's pulling right, through the legs and back as his arms won't fill with lactate so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,586 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

True, it's just weird... $100 million fight and he's expending probably anywhere from 10-20% more energy than necessary due to his bad technique (according to a rower I asked online but maybe he pulled that stat from thin air). Something that could be fixed in what, 30 seconds if someone showed him how to do it.
    That stat is definitely pulled from thin air. There's no way he could estimate accurately without data from his HRM and the Erg. It could very well be in that range though, but its kinda irrelevant (as I've pointed out before).

"30 seconds to fix" is a massive exaggeration btw. Have you used a rower? Is easy to row gracefully at a low intensity. As intensity increases, form breaks down. That's true of any activity really. Part of the reason the elite are so good is because they can perform technically well at a high intensity.

What rowers on the internet are ignoring, or unaware of, is that rower is just conditioning tool in this case. There's no point saving energy by rowing better, when the goal is pieces at 95-100%. If you row more efficiently, you have to put the saved energy back in.
    I'm not saying he couldn't improve his technique without sacrificing anything, he probably could. But it's not going to affect the training outcome - injury aside of course.

Conan is a part-owner of the UFC. He will directly profit from this fight I guess.

Yeah but the Keimmel show had access to the fighters on the world tour (that's how they originally got the comment from McGregor in the first place) and anyone concerning the fight so far has appeared on Kimmel too. Dana a few weeks back and Floyd's on it tonight.

Could be wrong of course, but I bet it's cause they pulled that clip, thereby endorsing the view he said something racist and McGregor's refused to be a guest on the show as a result.

My biggest worry with the rowing machine footage (and to a lesser extent the lack of a bicycle helmet/seat-belt) is that there doesn't appear anybody willing or able to influence Conor to try help him.

It might seem pedantic, but he's 10 days from a $100 million fight and he's cycling at, what, 25km/hr with no clips and no helmet? All it would take is a momentary lapse in concentration to take a tumble and open up a cut needing stitches. To go further still, he's not even wearing his seat belt spinning around Vegas in a lambo and a Rolls Royce.

Let's say, for arguments sake, Conor's shoulder positioning when he throws his lead-jab is a bit off. Who's going to tell him to round his shoulders? If nobody can fix an arguably simpler issue like rowing machine technique, how will they fix bigger problems that arise?
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not saying he couldn't improve his technique without sacrificing anything, he probably could. But it's not going to affect the training outcome - injury aside of course.

Fair enough, I'm probably over-egging it but I'd hate to see him sustain a preventable injury from falling off his bike with no helmet, crashing his car with no seat-belt or hurting his lower back from bad rowing technique.

Froch and Hardy briefly discussing clinch techniques:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Wonder, can you ask Ariel to ask JK when he is on re the bike and the rowing?
    The bike clip-ons could be that he just wants to push with the legs and not pull, or maybe he is not comfortable using them or something else. Or maybe they just haven't even thought about it. I would have thought Dalby would be expert enough of a person to have around for the bike issues though. The helmet, I am not fussed. He is on a good road, has the car in front and behind and probs the worst that would happen is a scratch. 
    The rowing is interesting tho. Would like to know JKs thoughts on it.
    Let's say, for arguments sake, Conor's shoulder positioning when he throws his lead-jab is a bit off. Who's going to tell him to round his shoulders? If nobody can fix something as simple as the rowing machine technique, how can they fix bigger problems?
    Starting to sound like a boxing purist now? Sometimes there is no right and wrong just a variant of it. Did we get to the bottom of the planting feet on punch impact? I remember someone raising that as a concern re the media day workout. Again that is probably 2-sided argument. Maybe sometimes the answer is in the middle.

• Advertisement

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    Starting to sound like a boxing purist now? Sometimes there is no right and wrong just a variant of it.

I edited the quote to shorten it :)

I didn't mean getting Conor to throw a lead-jab like a traditional boxer. I meant if Conor has a particular way he likes to throw his jab but it's a bit-off what he wants it to look like, is he relying on himself to correct it from video footage or will others let him know?

I'm sure the team are working hard and Conor trusts John and Owen, so I'm sure all is grand but I'd still like to see him put his helmet and seat-belt on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement