Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Looks like the meeting to vote on the Refs and gloves is starting 5pm Irish time:
    http://boxing.nv.gov/schedule/Commission_Calendar/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Whats the predictions on who the ref will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Whats the predictions on who the ref will be?

Tony Weeks seems like a good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lukker- wrote: »
    Tony Weeks seems like a good shout.

Not so sure after the Ward/Kovalev fight. He missed a few low blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Andrew interviewing Dana.

Good interview, he got a bit more out of Dana than his usual stock answers. On a side issue, it's great to see Andrew smiling and looking so assertive and confident. At times over the last few years you could see he was nervous doing big interviews but it's wonderful to see the growth in his confidence.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »

They were 50/50 calls IMO. Hard to tell with stupid boxing trunks pulled up to belly button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I'd see the ref missing a few illegal shots as a good thing for Conor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

That's a 17.20 on a Friday evening, just before you go home article.

He's out in Vegas.

So perhaps he woke up surrounded by hookers, coke and fifty emails asking him why his article hadn't arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,609 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'd see the ref missing a few illegal shots as a good thing for Conor :)

Telling you, the DQ option is looking good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

walshb wrote: »
    Telling you, the DQ option is looking good!

always baby.

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »
    always baby.

I wonder what will happen to Conor mentally should he be getting embarrassed, tagged consistently, tired and incapable of landing anything of note?

Will he do a "Tyson" and fold and commit a blatant DQ type foul...?

I mean, many have done this in boxing....

Look at Ortiz vs. Mayweather, and he wasn't even taking a beating....

Waiting for the whole "You know eff all about Conor if you could even dream to say such a thing."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Yeah the contract stating any fouls will cost him his purse will be stopping that happening, zero chance.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah the contract stating any fouls will cost him his purse will be stopping that happening, zero chance.

Any fouls? I mean, holding and pushing are deemed fouls....

Or DQ fouls.....as in he gest disqualified for one foul or a series of fouls...

Hardly gets his purse withheld for committing a single or few foul that are just noted and not resulting in DQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mellor wrote: »
    How does it equate to more dollars for the NSAC?
    They don't get a PPV share. And even they did, I doubt anybody - who wasn't paying for it- suddenly forks over $100 when they change gloves.

Hence my post edit. That said, look at Showtime's billing of this event:

Floyd is rollerskating, seemingly unconcerned with training = Conor has a chance

Floyd is off enjoying himself in Florida = Conor has a chance

Floyd is pissing about on a ranch = Conor has a chance

Now, you can bet the 8's will be marketed as = Conor has a chance.

For the casuals, who indeed make up the bulk of this PPV, this may sell more PPV's.

As for the NAC, my implication was that the money tells them what to do - see Pat Lundvall.

walshb wrote: »
    Any fouls? I mean, holding and pushing are deemed fouls....

Or DQ fouls.....as in he gest disqualified for one foul or a series of fouls...

Hardly gets his purse withheld for committing a single or few foul that are just noted and not resulting in DQ.

Wouldn't surprise me if he double legged him if he needed a chance to reset/recover.

You see it all the time in boxing, just with bad technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lukker- wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if he double legged him if he needed a chance to reset/recover.

You see it all the time in boxing, just with bad technique

Any chance of a clip showing what you mean?

No idea of what most of the lingo is, so it'd be helpful so I know what I'm looking for.

No idea of what most of the lingo is, so it'd be helpful so I know what I'm looking for.

ql9YDL3.gif
    Goldberg-Spear.0.gif

Here ya go.

Scroll to 44:03.

What you'll see is Maidana misses with a right hook. He then "digs underhooks". As in look at Maidana's arms the way he hooks them under Floyd's arms. Maidana then puts his head under Floyd's right elbow, clasps his hands together behind Floyd's back and drives his weight through his shoulders to put Floyd on his bum.

It's something that happens in MMA regularly enough and it happens in boxing quite a lot. The ref can, if he wants, deduct points for it. Part of the reason Team McGregor are pushing for Tony Weeks as ref is because of the Maidana fight. He allowed this type of carry on without deducting points.

Edit - Compare what Maidana did to the above gif with Yoel Romero. The technique is almost identical.

Loving some of Danas BS thus far.

"Floyd is 41" (Hes 40)

"Conor is 28" (Hes 29)

Loving some of Danas BS thus far.

"Floyd is 41" (Hes 40)

"Conor is 28" (Hes 29)

Floyd seems to be getting older by the day and Conor younger. Some Benjamin Button stuff going on with Dana.

• Advertisement

Kenny Florian saying something I said last week and got roundly mocked for :pac: He thinks Conor might do some spinning attacks, capoeira movements and faint some kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

In fairness it's Kenny Florian, he probably just read your posts and is repeating :pac:

Wonder I haven't been keeping up with these threads lately but noticed your prediction has gone from Floyd in the 9th to 100% Conor will win - can I ask what's changed your mind?

maximoose wrote: »
    In fairness it's Kenny Florian, he probably just read your posts and is repeating :pac:

Wonder I haven't been keeping up with these threads lately but noticed your prediction has gone from Floyd in the 9th to 100% Conor will win - can I ask what's changed your mind?

When I was first thinking about this fight I was more worried what criticism I'd get if I said Conor would win, so I just thought I'd say something more "reasonable". There's a few people around who like to take the mick out of me for being a "fanboy" so I thought I'd just play it safe but something Robin Black said gave me the confidence to say what I really think :)

It's not that I think Conor is a better boxer than Floyd because he really isn't a better traditional boxer. It's not even close and I'd never argue otherwise. It's just that I think Conor won't fight a boxing match inside the ring, he's going to fight a fight under boxing rules. I think we'll see weird distances, use of jumps, kick-faints, elbow-faints, spinning entries into range, adaptation of MMA clinch techniques...

I even think Conor is going to do a Fabricio Werdum at the beginning of the fight. Run at Floyd, jump in the air, land and assume his stance.

If Floyd cuts through him like a knife through butter and embarrasses Conor I'll be the first to admit I suffered from delusion and was extremely foolish in underestimating the complexity of boxing :)

If Floyd cuts through him like a knife through butter and embarrasses Conor I'll be the first to admit I suffered from delusion and was extremely foolish in underestimating the complexity of boxing :)

You may as well do that now. Boxing as we know it is about 150 years old. The people in the boxing game know what they're at. Theres a form thats universal.

I think you've been watching too much WWE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

You may as well do that now. Boxing as we know it is about 150 years old. The people in the boxing game know what they're at. Theres a form thats universal.

I think you've been watching too much WWE!

They know what they are at against a ''Boxer'' BooooYaaaaa

They know what they are at against a ''Boxer'' BooooYaaaaa

Exactly, and Conor has to fight within boxing rules. In his first ever fight, against one of the best ever. With no headgear.

McGregors CM Punk UFC moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

The Nal wrote:

There was a universal form in the high jump pre Fosbury and the Mexico Olympics.

I'm not saying I think mcgregor will win, I think he has only a small punchers chance, but just because something has been done in a particular form, doesn't mean to say something new cannot be introduced or changed.

VW 1 wrote: »
    There was a universal form in the high jump pre Fosbury and the Mexico Olympics.

I'm not saying I think mcgregor will win, I think he has only a small punchers chance, but just because something has been done in a particular form, doesn't mean to say something new cannot be introduced or changed.

Oh I agree 100%, I'm just commenting on the speculation that hes going to introduce some new style thats going to revolutionise boxing.

Got to hand it to the man and his success that people are thinking like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

When I was first thinking about this fight I was more worried what criticism I'd get if I said Conor would win, so I just thought I'd say something more "reasonable". There's a few people around who like to take the mick out of me for being a "fanboy" so I thought I'd just play it safe but something Robin Black said gave me the confidence to say what I really think :)

So in short we will never really know if what you are saying is what you really believe. hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

VW 1 wrote: »

This exactly. Robin Black discusses that too. People get blinded by what everyone else is doing until some innovator comes along with a new interpretation and changes everything.

Soccer formations when the game first started were 3 Defenders, 7 attackers. That evolved to the standard 4-4-2 for decades then someone came along with 3-5-2 which was successful for a while. Dick Fosbury and the Fosbury flop is a great example.

There is a lot more scope to the boxing rule set than what you see in your every day boxing match. Just because that works now does not mean it's the only way to approach a fight and that seems to be what McGregor and his team are planning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement