Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

1/4 isn't that far off his price for the Manny fight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Gamebred wrote: »
    McGregor has a big head and good chin, If he he hurts his hands hitting it there wont be any finish.

The big head on Conor is an advantage for Floyd. With his accuracy and such a big target to hit. It will be like kicking a ball off a barn door, Floyd won't be able to miss, even more so now with smaller gloves, Conor won't be able to defend himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I think he just want Floyd could hurt his hands landing on Conor . I agree . Conor does seem to have a hard looking head (if that makes sense)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX3ZXKmByV7/
    I am very pleased with the Nevada State Athletic Commission's handling of my next bout today. Fair play was kept all the way through.
    Referee - Hall of famer Robert Byrd.
    Judges - Burt Clements. Dave Morreti and Guido Cavalerri.
    8oz gloves approved.
    With pre and post fight analysis of the gloves on the night.
    This was handled very well and very fairly by the NSAC.
    I am very pleased and respect the Commissions ruling on this.
    10 days until fight time.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »

Not sure why Conor is happy with the judges. Dave Moretti is Mayweather's boy. He's judged at 10 of his fight. Burt Clements is no stranger to Mayweather either having judged at 4 of his fights, including Hatton, Marquez, Maidana and Pacquiao.

Byrd is not going to take any shyt from Conor. He's a boxing purists. And wrestling in the clinch will be quickly dispersed

Very inappropriate of John to be posting **** like this considering we've had a few deaths in boxing (Tim Hague) and MMA (Rondel Clark) recently. Sure John even cornered a bout where the other fighter died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

He's actually a better price stateside.

No, I don't think so. Did you not see the betslip of the guy in vegas? $880k to win $120k. That's a bit worse than 1/7.

Odds are comparable on most Irish/British sites going by Oddschecker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

No, I don't think so. Did you not see the betslip of the guy in vegas? $880k to win $120k. That's a bit worse than 1/7.

Odds are comparable on most Irish/British sites going by Oddschecker

Trust me hes a bigger price in the states hes 1.28 best priced there, hes 1.25 best priced here with Paddy Power,

Them guys went to the wrong bookmaker.

Disgusting from Kavanagh. Joking about death in the ring is extremely ignorant and insensitive. Especially after what happened in this country to Joao Carvalho. He should delete this garbage and apologize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Chill out lads, it's a Rocky meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Not sure why Conor is happy with the judges. Dave Moretti is Mayweather's boy. He's judged at 10 of his fight. Burt Clements is no stranger to Mayweather either having judged at 4 of his fights, including Hatton, Marquez, Maidana and Pacquiao.

Byrd is not going to take any shyt from Conor. He's a boxing purists. And wrestling in the clinch will be quickly dispersed

Come on now... he's hardly going to say how disappointed he is in the judges and get their backs up before the fight FFS..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Christ it's a movie quote.

Suppose they should ban the movie forever too?

I'll never get people's inability to see the funny side to things. The world's a better place when you spend the time laughing rather then concentrating on what offends you/others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Best judges in multiple appearance to best boxing matches shocker.

Floyd is the biggest attraction, so obviously he's going to have the top judges repeatedly on his fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,609 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think I wanna' change my 6th rd KO/TKO victory for Floyd...

His bezzie, Biebs is saying it's unlikely that Floyd gets the KO...

Although Floyd is on record saying that Conor going the distance would be a victory for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

My view on the smaller gloves wont make any real difference except the fact theres less padding and Floyd is more likely to break his hands using them.

Unacceptable fence sitting. Tell us who it favours more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Unacceptable fence sitting. Tell us who it favours more.

Sorry boss, slight advantage to Conor as Floyd will break his hands if theres less padding in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Good thing the clinch is part of boxing.

Byrd is an excellent ref who doesn't break up the clinch, but tells fighters to punch out instead.

Sorry boss, slight advantage to Conor as Floyd will break his hands if theres less padding in them.

You say it with such certainty..

And on the off chance he does break his hand(s) it would have to happen very early to give any kind of "advantage" to Conor..

It's two ounces across the whole glove..

Padding? How much of the 2 ounces is lost in the padding?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

walshb wrote: »
    You say it with such certainty..

And on the off chance he does break his hand(s) it would have to happen very early to give any kind of "advantage" to Conor..

It's two ounces across the whole glove..

Padding? How much of the 2 ounces is lost in the padding?

F*ck all really, it's just a wider glove with more protection around the thumb. I'm not really sure the extent of Floyd's damaged hands, the lack of padding around the thumb can still be a problem for him. He's had 2 years off so there is every chance his hands could have healed/operated on in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Deedsie wrote:
    Sigh... I am getting worried that it could be a **** night but I regularly feel like this before big fights. Hope I'm wrong, hope he catches him and frightens the ****e out of Mayweather.

Best thing to do is get a load of beer & doritos, download 12 of the best fights you missed this year and make a night of it...we don't realistically expect a win here so may as well turn it into an epic mma night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Mayweather got what he wanted. Lighter gloves for faster hand speed and greater impact, and the likelyhood of increased PPV buys. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if this was all in his plan from the beginning

Wait, what?

You're telling us Floyd's "masterplan" was to hold up contract negotiations with stipulations about 10oz gloves that can't be Mexican or made of horsehair.... that he did all that in the first place just so he could turn around and spend money on lawyers fees to try change the gloves back to 8oz?

I'm assuming you believe 9/11 was an inside job too SMH.
    The big head on Conor is an advantage for Floyd.

Conor could have Wolverine's adamantium running through his body and be indestructible and you'd still tell us it's an advantage for Floyd because Conor will be heavy on his feet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Anybody see the Conor waxwork unveiled today.? Can't link it but it's pretty awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anybody see the Conor waxwork unveiled today.? Can't link it but it's pretty awful.

Can see Paulie pegging it in, smacking it over and then jumping up and down with his hands in the air...

.ak wrote: »
    Christ it's a movie quote.

Suppose they should ban the movie forever too?

It's about context.

There are lots of movie lines which are acceptable in the context of the movie itself. A racist comment might serve to illustrate a characters prejudices.

But the same lines might be totally inappropriate for a person to quote 'as a joke' to a black man. "It's a movie quote bro" doesn't give you license to say whatever you want. Context matters; most intelligent people can understand this.

In this case the worlds eyes are on a fight which probably shouldn't have been sanctioned on safety grounds. And Conor's coach is making jokes about deaths in the ring. Less than 24 hours after a fighter actually died in Boston. And just a few weeks removed from Tim Hague death. Kavanagh was ringside in the Carvalho fight.

I understand that it's a 'joke'. I understand it's a movie quote. That doesn't make it any less inappropriate. Mir got his ass chewed out by Dana for making jokes about killing Brock.

Wait, what?

You're telling us Floyd's "masterplan" was to hold up contract negotiations with stipulations about 10oz gloves that can't be Mexican or made of horsehair.... that he did all that in the first place just so he could turn around and spend money on lawyers fees to try change the gloves back to 8oz?

I'm assuming you believe 9/11 was an inside job too SMH.

Conor could have Wolverine's adamantium running through his body and be indestructible and you'd still tell us it's an advantage for Floyd because Conor will be heavy on his feet...

It's about control. Floyd loves to be in a position of power, to dictate the situation, To be the A side. He's not happy unless he is calling the shots. If Conor had proposed the glove change, Mayweather would have shut it down immediately. But it was Mayweather who proposed it, So it got done. This is Floyd asserting his dominance.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Come on now... he's hardly going to say how disappointed he is in the judges and get their backs up before the fight FFS..:rolleyes:

Very true. Just in case it's a really close fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Any idea what it would cost me to get the fight? Is it ridiculous money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It's about control. Floyd loves to be in a position of power, to dictate the situation, To be the A side. He's not happy unless he is calling the shots. If Conor had proposed the glove change, Mayweather would have shut it down immediately. But it was Mayweather who proposed it, So it got done. This is Floyd asserting his dominance.

That's not how it went down whatsoever so the above is a work of fiction.

-Conor ripped the p1ss out of Floyd for the stipulations over the gloves saying Floyd needs to protect his brittle little hands.
    -Floyd responded saying he'd fight him in 8oz OR 4oz that he doesn't care.
    -Conor mocked him saying "yeah right! If you didn't care why all the stipulations?!"
    -Floyd then came back with the 8oz thing.

You're making it sound like Floyd randomly came up with the idea to show his control when in reality he only proposed it in response to Conor taking the p1ss out of him about it. If Floyd TRULY wanted 8oz gloves he had all the leverage in the world to make it 147lb's and 8oz's from the beginning.

Regardless, the glove change suits both of them. Floyd will have faster hand-speed with the 8oz gloves and Conor's power should translate better with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I saw it. Its so bad its not even funny the way some bad waxworks are.

Its actually an embarrassment for anyone connected to it.

EDIT: Found a pic.

original?width=630&version=3549387

The waxwork is the one in front btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement