Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

dulux99 wrote: »
    I did go to a quite a few UFC events in the cinema when I lived in the States, and it was absolutely epic. Such a great way to watch fights. Buuuuuut.... They were on at 7pm in San Diego. Can't imagine what guys would be like at that hour over here.

Yeah, the time has a lot to do with putting me off too. You just know half a dozen lads are going to be locked after being on the sauce since 10pm or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Sure you get the risk of dickheads at everything. You could even pay for flights, hotels and go to the fight, but end up beside some loud mouth morons.

The immersive aspect of it is what makes it tempting. Huge screen, darkness, volume and you're guaranteed a great view.

The screenings of Stop Making Sense in the Lighthouse are always class like that.

A few of us are considering the VIP seats option, don't think we'd go otherwise, too long a time to sitting squashed up.

Yeah its a good idea. I would hope they have decent security on the night though. Im attending a wedding myself. The hotel say they will screen the fight but I doubt it somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Yeah its a good idea. I would hope they have decent security on the night though. Im attending a wedding myself. The hotel say they will screen the fight but I doubt it somehow.

I remember watching the Mendes fight the night of a wedding and it was brilliant! Auld lads who would never in a million years have stayed up for the fight losing their life as mcgregor battled through a couple of very hairy rounds to take Mendes out. Absolutely loved the drama of it! Well, the one's that hadn't headed off in disgust as the lawler / mcdonald unfolded anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm in Strandhill in Sligo the night of the fight. Anyone familiar with a bar that might be likely to show it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Perry12 wrote: »
    I've been sucked into the promotion surrounding this fight since it began and I'm a big Conor fan. I did think initially that Conor could cause an upset - part of that was down to him needing to get into Floyds head, which I don't think he has managed to do - but after reading through so much back and forth on here about how he could do it/ how he has no hope whatsoever, I took the time to look back over Mayweather's fights.

He has an amazing chin and even when he has been rocked by the likes of Mosley he comes out in the next round and has his opponent figured out. The second shot Mosley landed right after the one that had Floyd holding his arm just to stay upright shook Floyd down to his ankles, but he stayed on his feet.

I see it ending up going along the lines of the Canelo fight with Floyd just landing at will and the ref stopping it around the 7th. When I put the blinkers back on I see Conor having a slim chance and that's enough to make me buy the ppv.

On the rare occasions where Floyd has been hit he has always taken it very well. Mosley and Maidana gave him their best shots, Cotto was , in Floyd's words' The toughest mother fcker he had ever fought' These men are multiple time, mutiple weight world champions, the best in the world. Although they did all get some shots in, They were completely out boxed and outclassed by Mayeather in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭robwen

Full Conan interview

walshb wrote: »
    I think you may need to re-watch the Canelo fight then. There was no landing at will. And many of the landed shots were of the grazing/swiping variety.

If Conor is 25 percent as competitive as Canelo he'll be doing great.

Canelo is a fantastic boxer.

Conor is not a boxer.

True. McGregor is no Alvarez. Canelo is an elite world champion boxer, who when he fought Floyd was a young 23 year old bull. 43 fights into his professional career, He had size, power and youth on his side and he couldn't hit Floyd, He even said to his corner during their fight "I can't catch him" He was completely outclassed by Floyd. There was nothing he could do. Floyd can make the best in the world looks like nothing. He is just that good.

Perry12 wrote: »
    I'm not saying Canelo isn't a great boxer or comparing him to Conor. From about round 7 Floyd was landing shots and frustrating Canelo so in my opinion Floyd was teeing off on him in those later rounds.

I also think that Canelo would beat the socks off of Conor. I don't see Conor being as competitive as Canelo by any stretch

I would't want to see McGregor in a ring with Canelo. I may not be the biggest McGregor fan, But I don't want him to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

walshb wrote: »
    Maybe it's insurance for team Conor...

He gets thoroughly beaten/exposed Aug 26 and sure they can always come back with "we whupped Paulie 12-0."

Plenty of fanboys be happy with that as a result..

Yeah you truly nailed it walshie..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I would't want to see McGregor in a ring with Canelo. I may not be the biggest McGregor fan, But I don't want him to die.

I see the excuses are coming in early now it's dawning on people he has a legitimate chance of beating Mayweather, 'yeah but Canelo would murder him' .......it's the same in the UFC, wipes the floor with Alvarez 'yeah but the bear Khabib would strangle him'.....I'm fking sick and tired of the yeah buts thrown up against McGregor by his detractors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I see the excuses are coming in early now it's dawning on people he has a legitimate chance of beating Mayweather, 'yeah but Canelo would murder him' .......it's the same in the UFC, wipes the floor with Alvarez 'yeah but the bear Khabib would strangle him'.....I'm fking sick and tired of the yeah buts thrown up against McGregor by his detractors

I don't think he has a chance against Mayweather and I agree that canelo would go through him for a shortcut.

I'm going to go a step further and say that McG wouldn't beat a single top 10 boxer at his weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Did you even read the post you quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

mfceiling wrote: »
    I don't think he has a chance against Mayweather and I agree that canelo would go through him for a shortcut.

I'm going to go a step further and say that McG wouldn't beat a single top 10 boxer at his weight.

If he wins this, and we all know it's a big if nobody is fannying about that.... you know and everyone knows there'll be ways to discredit the win with 'yea but what about x y and z' ......some won't give him any credit for what he's done and is doing, never will

Unfortunately Conor doesn't have any chance. It comes down to styles. Mayweather and Canelo would both destroy Conor but in different ways, Floyd will wait for Conor to attack, make him miss and sting him with sharp counters to set up his attack.

Canelo would just walk Conor down and crack him with power shots.

The KO punch from Floyd could be one Conor won't see coming.

The KO punch from Canelo, Conor will see coming, but there's fck all he could do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Unfortunately Conor doesn't have any chance.

If Conor beats Floyd, would you therefore give him more chance than you originally thought against Canelo?

(I know you think it's impossible but humour me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

The guy is such a natural infront of a camera, no wonder the media love him. Never fails to get a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,609 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You can add another 0 there easily!

Bro :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Doubting Conor against Alaverez or Khabib is fair but before Conor fought alveraez I would of had that 80/20 in Conors favour and probably 60/40 in Conors favour vs Khabib.

People saying Conor is going to lose this fight are not his detractors ffs, they are people who have respect for the sport of boxing and can see that Floyd (who is one of the best ever) will not lose to Conor who is not a boxer. I hate this crap of "all it takes is one punch", if that is the case then throw Floyd in there with the bin man. I know I am over exaggerating there but its to make a point, Conor while he can win in theory (I hope he does), in all reality Mayweather will absolutely thrash him and stop him with repeated punches by ref stoppage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,609 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What excuses?

The poster you quoted thinks Floyd dominates Conor. And he also thinks Canelo dominates Conor..

What exactly are you reading to come with that reply?

• Advertisement

I see Tony Ferguson said he thinks Conor would eat Khabib alive if they fought, completely dismissed Khabib's stand-up as awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

I see Tony Ferguson said he thinks Conor would eat Khabib alive if they fought, completely dismissed Khabib's stand-up as awful.

He's not wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

xtal191 wrote: »
    He's not wrong

Hard to see the evidence for that, Khabib hasn't spent much time standing (understandably) but what we have seen isn't bad. Sure he took a big shot against Johnson but Johnson has very good hands.

It's like when people say Mcgregors ground game is awful, we've no real evidence for it either way. But to say it's awful based on him being submitted by Diaz would be foolish, considering he was badly hurt and Diaz has very high level Jiu Jitsu.

If Conor beats Floyd, would you therefore give him more chance than you originally thought against Canelo?

(I know you think it's impossible but humour me)

Yeah I'll happily admit I was wrong if McGregor wins. As for a fight with Canelo? Maybe slightly more of a chance for Conor, But he still gets knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I've always thought that McGregor won't fight again, regardless of the result but if he wins, which I don't think had a hope of happening, given the middleweight fight a few weeks later, you've got to think someone would see there's a lot of money to be made there.

This is a really good article done by the BBC featuring interviews with Paddy Holohan, Aisling Daly, Peter Carroll, plus lots of random little interviews with taxi drivers and the landlord of the Black Forge.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/40951253

Here's an interesting snippet ^ from Aisling:

""He's always been a massive Mayweather fan," says Daly with a smile. "He'd be coaching, showing us punch combinations and videos and he showed us the Mayweather pull-counter.

"Now he's in a position where one of his idols is his rival. Knowing Conor, he will believe he is his equal.""

Yeah you look at the top 147-154 boxers and I don't see one who wouldn't KO McGregor

Canelo Alvarez
    Erislandy Lara
    Jermel Charlo
    Miguel Cotto
    Demetrius Andrade
    Austin Trout
    Keith Thurman
    Errol Spence
    Shawn Porter
    Kell Brook

There's 10 right there.

Yeah you look at the top 147-154 boxers and I don't see one who wouldn't KO McGregor

Canelo Alvarez
    Erislandy Lara
    Jermel Charlo
    Miguel Cotto
    Demetrius Andrade
    Austin Trout
    Keith Thurman
    Errol Spence
    Shawn Porter
    Kell Brook

There's 10 right there.

Out of interest, how many of the above list do you think could beat Floyd next weekend? 47 before have failed, do you see anyone on that list that you would put money down to beat Floyd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

This is a really good article done by the BBC featuring interviews with Paddy Holohan, Aisling Daly, Peter Carroll, plus lots of random little interviews with taxi drivers and the landlord of the Black Forge.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/40951253

Here's an interesting snippet ^ from Aisling:

""He's always been a massive Mayweather fan," says Daly with a smile. "He'd be coaching, showing us punch combinations and videos and he showed us the Mayweather pull-counter.

"Now he's in a position where one of his idols is his rival. Knowing Conor, he will believe he is his equal.""

Really, this doesn't surprise me at all, not unlike Cody and Cruz. When McGregor says he knows every shot that Floyd has been hit with, it's because he's studied him exhaustively.

• Advertisement

Really, this doesn't surprise me at all, not unlike Cody and Cruz. When McGregor says he knows every shot that Floyd has been hit with, it's because he's studied him exhaustively.

I've heard a couple of crazy stories about how obsessive Conor is with studying old fights. I'm not positive that they're true or not but I was told he would sit watching a Jose Aldo fight and make notes and end up with a big essay on all the techniques Aldo threw, what he would have thrown back, etc.

I doubt it will ever happen but I'd say Conor would be brilliant in fight analysis doing something similar to Dan Hardy/Dominick Cruz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement