Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I've always thought that McGregor won't fight again, regardless of the result but if he wins, which I don't think had a hope of happening, given the middleweight fight a few weeks later, you've got to think someone would see there's a lot of money to be made there.

Canelo or GGG would kill Conor McGregor. That's not even funny. A boxing fight that might make sense for McGregor would be Malinaggi. Although I still see Conor losing a decision to an in shape, ready Paulie. At least it might be competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Canelo or GGG would kill Conor McGregor. That's not even funny. A boxing fight that might make sense for McGregor would be Malinaggi. Although I still see Conor losing a decision to an in shape, ready Paulie. At least it might be competitive.

I think it's fair to say you don't give Conor any chance against any active top-level professional boxer so there's no point in really naming too many guys :)

Personally I'd be more confident of Conor beating Canelo in boxing than beating Floyd but that's just a stylistic issue.

A lot will depend on next week, I'll of course adjust my opinion on that if we see a comfortable Mayweather victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Maybe I'm being naive but if Dana is telling the truth about sending the footage of the entire spar to Showtime, do they actually trust Stephen Espinoza not to forward it to Floyd?

I don't know. Something fishy is going on here. Either Dana is lying or Conor's gameplan is very different to how he fought against Paulie, because Conor would have to assume Floyd is getting that footage from Espinoza.

Looks like Dana was lying:
    The Executive Vice President and General Manager of Showtime Sports reached out to Sporting News to clarify what happened. Espinoza said White wasn't involved with distribution of the sparring session video which was sent to the premium cable channel by McGregor's team and the reason no video wasn't used had nothing to do with protecting Malignaggi.

"Dana’s misinformed here because we were dealing directly with Conor’s team on this," Espinoza told Sporting News. "We did not receive as Dana said, a ton of footage. We received a few short clips. Roughly a minute total which were provided by the Conor camp. We reviewed them and were very interested in using them and including them in “All Access”.

"But it was a series of sort of spliced-together McGregor highlights, eight or nine seconds each. We didn’t want to use the whole thing. It was sort of repetitive. We were told if we didn’t use the whole segment as they edited it then we couldn’t use it at all. So in the end, Conor’s camp withheld permission for us to use it. Otherwise we definitely wanted to use it. There was no intent to protect Paulie. We just wanted to cut some of the clips because it was pretty redundant, repetitive stuff."

4 years to the day of the Holloway win.

3:55

"Dana giving me all this attention and putting this on me, these guys are making my dreams come true I'll be forever grateful.... [later] This feels like I'm dealing with a loss at the minute...[later] nobody critiques me more than I critique myself".

Champion mindset and showed since he was true to his word on the loyalty front because every lawyer worth their salt said he could have cut the UFC out of the Mayweather fight with a court battle but he showed loyalty to Dana by doing it the inclusive way.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/898292492700762112

Looks like Dana was lying:

"Pretty redundant, repetitive stuff"?

I'm confident the footage they sent over was Conor pinging the face off Paulie, they hardly sent over bad moments of the fight, so Showtime are clearly spinning this in their own way.

It's good news if there was "around a minute" of good clean footage of Conor landing on Paulie though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Paulie just retweeted the article anyway............. of course.

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi

Out of interest, how many of the above list do you think could beat Floyd next weekend? 47 before have failed, do you see anyone on that list that you would put money down to beat Floyd?

Maybe 1. Canelo has a shot, He's getting ready to fight GGG so although he has lost to Floyd before, He is now more experienced and has a better chance at success. But I wouldn't bet against Floyd losing to anybody, even now.

An honorable mention would be Spence, He has a shot, but again I wouldn't have any real confidence to bet against Floyd.

Maybe 1. Canelo has a shot, He's getting ready to fight GGG so although he has lost to Floyd before, He is now more experienced and has a better chance at success. But I wouldn't bet against Floyd losing to anybody, even now.

An honorable mention would be Spence, He has a shot, but again I wouldn't have any real confidence to bet against Floyd.

Ok and I know this is a thorny issue in here doing "MMA maths" but I suppose the follow-up question has to be:

If Conor (somehow) wins next week, then you'd have to re-evaluate the assertion he couldn't beat any of the top 10 right? Like, you might still fancy other boxers to beat Conor but you'd have to at least give him a much better chance should he win.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if he can beat Floyd, he surely has (at bare minimum) a solid chance against any elite boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I think it's fair to say you don't give Conor any chance against any active top-level professional boxer so there's no point in really naming too many guys :)

Personally I'd be more confident of Conor beating Canelo in boxing than beating Floyd but that's just a stylistic issue.

A lot will depend on next week, I'll of course adjust my opinion on that if we see a comfortable Mayweather victory.

I'm sure there are some scrubs in the lower ranks he could hang with but against the top guys? I don't think so.

If you think McGregor would have any chance against Canelo, Then you are seriously underestimating Canelo. I'm curious, What Canelo fights have you actually seen since his loss to Floyd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

"Pretty redundant, repetitive stuff"?

I'm confident the footage they sent over was Conor pinging the face off Paulie, they hardly sent over bad moments of the fight, so Showtime are clearly spinning this in their own way.

It's good news if there was "around a minute" of good clean footage of Conor landing on Paulie though.

I dont think mothers love their sons as much as you love Conor :D

Ok and I know this is a thorny issue in here doing "MMA maths" but I suppose the follow-up question has to be:

If Conor (somehow) wins next week, then you'd have to re-evaluate the assertion he couldn't beat any of the top 10 right? Like, you might still fancy other boxers to beat Conor but you'd have to at least give him a much better chance should he win.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if he can beat Floyd, he surely has (at bare minimum) a solid chance against any elite boxer.

Again only a minor increase in his chance, The only way Conor beats Floyd is if Floyd makes an unpresidented and castistrophic mistake. The outcome of all 10 fights would remain the same.

I don't know any sports where that logic has ever worked.
    If A beat B and C beat A, Then C should be able to beat B?
    That's not often how things work out.

If you think McGregor would have any chance against Canelo, Then you are seriously underestimating Canelo. I'm curious, What Canelo fights have you actually seen since his loss to Floyd?

Just the big ones. Cotto, Khan, Liam Smith.

I watched the Chavez "thing" as well but it certainly wasn't a fight it was one guy scared to get hit.
    I don't know any sports where that logic has ever worked.
    If A beat B and C beat A, Then C should be able to beat B?
    That's not often how things work out.

Agree it's "MMA maths" and it never works but you'd also be foolish if, for example, West Ham beat Manchester United in a one-off game to decide they have no chance against anyone else in the top 10. They'd clearly have a respectable chance.

Even bookies factor in recent performances when pricing up the odds, so if Conor does beat Floyd, he'd likely be less of an underdog against any of the boxers you named.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Ticket prices going down in an attempt to shift them. Looking like that record gate is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Noticed Ariel seems to think it's very much Nate 3 next for an MMA bout. Knowing Ariel, he typically makes such pronouncements on more than a hunch. JK is obviously on record stating his avowed interest in number 3, but I suspect there's more to it than this...

The boxing training would dovetail nicely into prep for Nate 3 for obvious reasons, rather than takedown defence etc needed for other bouts. And obviously, it's the biggest money spinner to be had in the UFC.

Ticket prices going down in an attempt to shift them. Looking like that record gate is unlikely.

EDIT - Counted the upper bowl there's 846 tickets left and the lower bowl (expensive seats) has just over 1,000. That total number of ~1,800 includes resale tickets. That would put the current gate at $61.9 million already sold (ish). Even if they reduce the remaining ticket prices by 30% (and sell them) it would still beat the May-Pac gate record of $72.1 million.

The narrative that ticket sales have been going poorly is a really strange one being used by people who want to dismiss the fight as a circus. The 2nd highest gate in boxing history was Canelo-Floyd and that was a $24 million gate. The highest gate in MMA history was Conor-Eddie $17.7 million.

It's already a whopping success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Segment on the business news on Newstalk about the fight this morning in terms of revenue and potential earnings..

EDIT - Counted the upper bowl there's 846 tickets left and the lower bowl (expensive seats) has just over 1,000. That total number of ~1,800 includes resale tickets. That would put the current gate at $61.9 million already sold (ish). Even if they reduce the remaining ticket prices by 30% (and sell them) it would still beat the May-Pac gate record of $72.1 million.

The narrative that ticket sales have been going poorly is a really strange one being used by people who want to dismiss the fight as a circus. The 2nd highest gate in boxing history was Canelo-Floyd and that was a $24 million gate. The highest gate in MMA history was Conor-Eddie $17.7 million.

It's already a whopping success.
    They will eventually sell every seat, as you say even if they have to sell some at a reduced price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Noticed Ariel seems to think it's very much Nate 3 next for an MMA bout.

I doubt Conor would take the risk of two defeats in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Effects wrote: »

I reckon you're on the wind up but any fight he takes post floyd is not a 'risk' and Conor will take the biggest fight possible regardless of the odds. The fight with Floyd pretty much guarantees he's transcended the concept of risk though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He risks the L fighting Tony or Khabib also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

:confused:

Fought Nate twice in a row, after losing the first. Was a bigger risk in this situation fighting both at 170lbs. When the third happens it's at 155.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I would absolutely love a third Nate fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

D.Q wrote: »
    I would absolutely love a third Nate fight.

Eventually yeah I'd like to see it. Much prefer if Khabib/Tony(or even Lee now I suppose) came first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Looks like Mayweather is going to trade at 1/3 today, with him winning by stoppage as short as 3/4 in places - that'll probably soon be evens. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd see Mayweather via stoppage at Evens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Deedsie wrote: »
    maximoose wrote: »
    Eventually yeah I'd like to see it.  Much prefer if Khabib/Tony(or even Lee now I suppose) came first.

I don't get this, what right has khabib to a title/Conor fight. Ferguson should be top of the queue and I'd have lee ahead of khabib until he proves he can actually make weight.
    What right has McGregor to fight Mayweather? Money talks in the fight world. McGregor vs Khabib would be a much bigger fight than McGregor vs Ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

dulux99 wrote: »
    Looks like Mayweather is going to trade at 1/3 today, with him winning by stoppage as short as 3/4 in places - that'll probably soon be evens. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd see Mayweather via stoppage at Evens

He's 11/4 by TKO on William Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't get this, what right has khabib to a title/Conor fight. Ferguson should be top of the queue and I'd have lee ahead of khabib until he proves he can actually make weight.

I want to see him fight the winner of Khabib/Ferguson or Ferguson/Lee - still looks a bit up in the air which is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Conors next fight will be the winner of the Ferguson/Lee fight at UFC 216. Unless he plans on dropping the belt.

McGregor will want no part of Ferguson or Khabib if he ever gets the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The Nal wrote: »
    Conors next fight will be the winner of the Ferguson/Lee fight at UFC 216. Unless he plans on dropping the belt.

McGregor will want no part of Ferguson or Khabib if he ever gets the fight.

McGregor won't want Ferguson or Khabib you're saying? Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement