Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor's little boy is dotey!

12 mins 35 in...Zion Mayweather on the right..it's like looking at a teenage Floyd..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I think walshb's ovaries have exploded.

CAN WE GET A CLEAN UP IN AISLE 4, CLEAN UP AISLE 4

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Any word on Embedded going ahead next week? I can't believe it's only a week away now, holy ****.

I honestly don't know why anyone would not allow themselves to get excited about this event. Whether it turns out to be historic or a flop, the buzz around the final few days and fight night is going to be unreal.

Ultimately I don't think the fight itself will be competitive or entertaining. I think it could be a bit messy in terms of McGregor's awkwardness, there may be some points deducted or even a DQ. Outside of that I see a KO/TKO win for Mayeather.

But you are right in the sense of the hype and promotion, Mayeather has always had to do all the promotion before because nobody could talk back to him before, either because of a language barrier or lack of personality.

Here you have the two biggest personalities in combat sports, The hype is massive in the build up, regardless of what happens when the bell rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 J0E_90

Did a short interview with the Irish Intermediate welterweight champion about the fight, might be of interest

http://www.irish-boxing.com/irish-intermediate-champion-conor-mcgregor-wouldnt-beat-me/

• Advertisement

J0E_90 wrote: »
    Did a short interview with the Irish Intermediate welterweight champion about the fight, might be of interest

http://www.irish-boxing.com/irish-intermediate-champion-conor-mcgregor-wouldnt-beat-me/

Nothing surprising there. I was at the intermediate championships late last year. Excellent standard. Conor would not beat those lads over 3 rds or any amount of rds. Too intense and too polished and all around too good.

But some here will of course take that as a dig against the MMA fighter.

Intermediate levels boxers are skilled in their craft. They are the lads that then go to the World's and Olympics....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

walshb wrote: »
    But some here will of course take that as a dig against the MMA fighter

Definitely not a dig, it's more just so tiring having to be 'educated' every fifth or sixth post about how a snooker player beats a pool player every single time. We get it like.

It's a fair article, from a boxing journalist, interviewing a boxer.

One thing I noticed, and this isn't a slight on Ivors, is the difference in confidence.
    which is another level above again in which I think I’m ready for!”
    and try retain it
    Hopefully we finish the rest of 2017 with all wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Conor would not beat those lads over 3 rds or any amount of rds. Too intense and too polished and all around too good.

And this is all based on your opinion of course, with no fact based evidence to back it up.

You state everything so matter-of-factly when the truth is none of us have any evidence to use to show how good/bad Conor is when it comes to boxing.

We'll know a lot more come Sunday morning.

And this is all based on your opinion of course, with no fact based evidence to back it up.

You state everything so matter-of-factly when the truth is none of us have any evidence to use to show how good/bad Conor is when it comes to boxing.

Yes, Sunday morning will tell a tale or two...

But, it still won't satisfy some as regards Conor's chances against Ireland's intermediates, as it will be said that there is no evidence to back it up due to him not having boxed an intermediate...

Me saying what I said with "such certainty." So what....I could stick in the words 'highly unlikely' if that would pass?

I would say it with the same certainty for any MMA fighter meeting Ireland's intermediates in a boxing ring.

The same way I would say with "certainty" that a GAA 11 doesn't beat a Man Utd 11 in a soccer match. No real evidence there either to be so certain, so I guess I'll just take my chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

e6da6618a14ff7f285bb6ba754a544d7--jeff-bridges-gag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

....The same way I would say with "certainty" that a GAA 11 doesn't beat a Man Utd 11 in a soccer match....

Football 11 or Hurling 11?

H8GHOTI wrote: »

We'll mix it up and even let the hurlers use their hurls....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

H8GHOTI wrote: »

We'll mix it up and even let the hurlers use their hurls....

Could be on to something there. I'd pay to watch that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

But, it still won't satisfy some as regards Conor's chances against Ireland's intermediates

duty_calls.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Yes, Sunday morning will tell a tale or two...

But, it still won't satisfy some as regards Conor's chances against Ireland's intermediates, as it will be said that there is no evidence to back it up due to him not having boxed an intermediate...

Translation: If Conor wins we will enter the boxing equivalent phase of "But can he beat a wrestler?", the football equivalent phase of "But can he do it on a wet tuesday night in Stoke"...

If Conor defeats Floyd Mayweather and people still make the case that he'd be an underdog against the Irish intermediate champion, they need to step away from the internet permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

Nothing surprising there. I was at the intermediate championships late last year. Excellent standard. Conor would not beat those lads over 3 rds or any amount of rds. Too intense and too polished and all around too good.

But some here will of course take that as a dig against the MMA fighter.

Intermediate levels boxers are skilled in their craft. They are the lads that then go to the World's and Olympics....

Funny how the Aussies can compete in the international rules series isn't it? Different ball, different laws and different pitch but they've been competitive and were even dominant some years back. International rules is essentially Gaelic Football with extra posts rewarding you for wides.

So how do the Aussies compete? Because they're elite, professional athletes with experience in a similar sport. Their task of going from oval to round ball and having to manufacture a goalkeeper is in my view a more awkward ordeal than McGregor continuing to do what he's been doing for 20 years, hitting round heads with his fists.

Translation: If Conor wins we will enter the boxing equivalent phase of "But can he beat a wrestler?", the football equivalent phase of "But can he do it on a wet tuesday night in Stoke"...

If Conor defeats Floyd Mayweather and people still make the case that he'd be an underdog against the Irish intermediate champion, they need to step away from the internet permanently.

The old "if" word...I love it. Such a comfort blanket.

Inviere wrote: »
    duty_calls.png

Not as important it seems as you being wound up by it..

Putting in nice effort as well with your replies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What do you think would happen if flavour of the month Paulie Malignaggi boxed Floyd?

What do you think would happen if Paulie fought an a random intermediate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Mellor wrote: »
    What do you think would happen if flavour of the month Paulie Malignaggi boxed Floyd?

What do you think would happen if Paulie fought an a random intermediate?

Paulie v Floyd. Paulie loses..

Paulie v an intermediate?

3 rds? Amateur or pro rules?

Not sure what any if it has to do with anything

One for you...Conor vs. Ireland's best intermediates over 3x3...who would you pick?

darced wrote: »

You do know that Conor is an MMA fighter, right?

He is not and never has been a pro boxer, licensing for this bout aside..

I'll take my chances in Ireland's intermediates..

It's not me not respecting the difference between amateur and pro athletes. It's you not respecting, or having a clue between the skills of trained boxers vs. non boxers in a boxing match..

I'll take my chances in Ireland's intermediates..

It's not me not respecting the difference between amateur and pro athletes. It's you not respecting, or having a clue beteeen the skills of trained boxers vs. non boxers in a boxing match..

The more you post the more I suspect your real name rhymes with Bax Tellerman

The more you post the more I suspect your real name rhymes with Bax Tellerman

Only a week and a day until you either close your account or come on saying how clueless you were regarding this event...

Although, with all the chopping and changing and permutations you have come up with I reckon you will try squeeze your way out of it..

You could always use this one: Yeh, but had he done the spinning leg kick feint he would have won.

Or: Sure he'd beat Canelo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

noc1980 wrote: »
    Funny how the Aussies can compete in the international rules series isn't it? Different ball, different laws and different pitch but they've been competitive and were even dominant some years back. International rules is essentially Gaelic Football with extra posts rewarding you for wides.
    International rules is also know as compromise rules for a reason.
    It's as much Gaelic Football with points for wides as it is AFL with a round ball.

I'm sure a fair compromise rules exists between boxing and MMA, but good luck agreeing on it.

There are very few human beings on this planet who can just cope with the pressure of the biggest fights in the world. There are even less human beings able to thrive under that pressure. Conor is one of them.

The nerves backstage for the Diaz rematch were viscerally sickening to see it written over all their faces. The rematch (essentially) meant nothing. Sure, 2 consecutive losses at 170lb's wouldn't have been great but he still had his belt and an in-built excuse if he lost...but if you look at the backstage footage, it meant absolutely everything to them and the calmest person in that entire arena was Conor.

You're right he's not a professional boxer but he is one of the few people on the planet to have fought in sell-out arenas with $10 million plus gates and 1.5 million+ PPV's. None of Floyd's previous opponents had fought under stages that big, literally none - even Oscar de la Hoya v Shane Mosley didn't break $10 million gate or 1.5 million for the PPV.

Conor is almost uniquely equipped to perform under the intensity of this occasion.

Watch this from 3:30 to 6:30. It takes a special kind of person to eat pressure like that and come out and execute a gameplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

Well,

I was at the intermediate finals late last year and I saw a very good level.

It's been done to death really. Conor is MMA, and for me, from what I have seen from both intermediates and Conor, I don't think he beats them. No matter what rds are involved or whether or not headgear are used, or weight of the boxing gloves.

But, I will wait until next week to see just how he performs before really being sure/certain. I'll allow that, as to not allow it doesn't sit well with some.

I am not expecting a competitive fight, or Conor to really impress me with his boxing skills in this bout.

I will add, that I liked his bag work out earlier this week. He was getting criticised for it, but for me it looked very neat and tidy and natural.

• Advertisement

Well,

I was at the intermediate finals late last year and I saw a very good level.

It's been done to death really. Conor is MMA, and for me, from what I have seen from both intermediates and Conor, I don't think he beats them. No matter what rds are involved or whether or not headgear are used, or weight of the boxing gloves.

But, I will wait until next week to see just how he performs before really being sure/certain. I'll allow that, as to not allow it doesn't sit well with some.

I am not expecting a competitive fight, or Conor to really impress me with his boxing skills in this bout.

I will add, that I liked his bag work out earlier this week. He was getting criticised for it, but for me it looked very neat and tidy and natural.

:eek::eek::eek:

One of us, one of us, one of us!

This time next week, you'll be baying for a McGregor win! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement