Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

walshb wrote: »
    Paulie v Floyd. Paulie loses..

Paulie v an intermediate?

3 rds? Amateur or pro rules?

Not sure what any if it has to do with anything
    Amateur or pro rules?
    Let's say pro rules, 8 oz gloves and 8 rounds.
    Paulie vrs an intermediate - a random intermediate (not necessarily the best intermediate)

I appreciate it's seems irrelevant, but I do have a point.
    One for you...Conor vs. Ireland's best intermediates over 3x3...who would you pick?
    Rather boringly, I've no idea.
    I've spent maybe 3 months in ireland in the last 8+ year. And none of that time watching Irish inters. I've no real point of reference for how good (or mediocre) a random inter is. That's why I asked you.

All I can offer is that I'd give Conor a better chance in pro boxing rules than amateur. But that's obvious right.

Now, if you asked how Conor would do against average/top blue/purple/brown belts in jiu jitsu. I could maybe offer an opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mellor wrote: »
    Now, if you asked how Conor would do against average/top blue/purple/brown belts in jiu jitsu. I could maybe offer an opinion

I'll ask, as I've no point of reference on the jiu jitsu.

Mayweather vs Average purple belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 J0E_90

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

In fairness, Provincial championships nowadays rarely feature the strongest fighters.

Provincial Intermediates would be a few levels below National Intermediates, and very few fighters would compete in both, at least in the same year.

The National Intermediates, at present, are a more of a springboard for top young fighters to get experience before entering Elites. 9 of the 10 male champions in November were still teenagers. The tenth, a super heavyweight, was 23.

Provincial Intermediates more of a continuation on from Provincial/National Novices, for late starters in the sport starting to up their intensity.

Ulster somewhat of an exception at Senior Elite level, but even at that the Ulster Seniors are seeing dropping numbers.

All about the All-Irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

McGregor pucks the head of Paulie but would get bet by an amateur. Comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

But, I will wait until next week to see just how he performs before really being sure/certain.

You speak as if that's a choice you have. lol
    I will add, that I liked his bag work out earlier this week. He was getting criticised for it, but for me it looked very neat and tidy and natural.

The bag work was deliberately underplayed, not sure why you would have liked it.

That you did is more a sign of how useless you think McGregor is than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You speak as if that's a choice you have. lol

The bag work was deliberately underplayed, not sure why you would have liked it.

That you did is more a sign of how useless you think McGregor is than anything else.

I got a laugh out of the bag work, but as you said, it was deliberately crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Feck sake. There's no pleasing you. You don't credit Conor and you get your knickers in a twist, and you do credit him and you get your knickers in a twist..

Well, I liked his bag work a lot......

And other clips too on the bags I liked...

Gintonious wrote: »
    I got a laugh out of the bag work, but as you said, it was deliberately crap.

That is a little harsh.

It wasn't crap to begin with, and certainly not deliberately crap.

Watch it again. He has lovely fluidity, shot delivery, feet, variety, connection and a beautiful right hook....

What's your definition of proper or acceptable work on a heavy bag?

darced wrote: »

The bag work at the media workout was well underplayed.

Even in the following two old clips his bag work is much better.

• Advertisement

That is a little harsh.

It wasn't crap to begin with, and certainly not deliberately crap.

Watch it again. He has lovely fluidity, shot delivery, feet, variety, connection and a beautiful right hook....

What's your definition of proper or acceptable work on a heavy bag?

Right, who's hacked walshb!?

Right, who's hacked walshb!?

No no..

I have a few what could be called praising Conor posts at this stage...

Relating to his bag work..

Folks need to realise that he is not a pro boxer..I would not judge his bag work thinking he is.

Yet he still impressed me on the bag. Whether or not he was overplaying or underplaying or whatever, it impressed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not as important it seems as you being wound up by it..

Putting in nice effort as well with your replies...

I just find the constant, sustained, and permeating message that Conor can't do this, won't do that, hasn't got the skills, couldn't beat an amateur, isn't a pro boxer posts so much worse than fanboy rhetoric....so , much, worse. It's been said, we've all heard it, we get you, some might not agree, some will, some hope for a miracle, some believe in Conor, some don't...cool, but do we need to be continually exposed to the message? From a readers perspective, it's bloody nauseating, and more than a bit elitist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'll ask, as I've no point of reference on the jiu jitsu.

Mayweather vs Average purple belt.
    Against the average purple, in nogi McGregor dominates easily. He'd be less at home in the gi, but should still significantly better.

No no..

I have a few what could be called praising Conor posts at this stage...

Relating to his bag work..

Folks need to realise that he is not a pro boxer.
    .I would not judge his bag work thinking he is.

Yet he still impressed me on the bag. Whether or not he was overplaying or underplaying or whatever, it impressed me.

After next Saturday, he will be. He'll either have a pro record of 1-0, or 0-1.

After next Saturday, he will be. He'll either have a pro record of 1-0, or 0-1.

Or 0-0-1!

Folks need to realise that he is not a pro boxer..I would not judge his bag work thinking he is.

Well, your perspective is that Floyd could beat him with one arm and so to be impressed by McGregor's bag work from that perspective....... is pretty meaningless tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

You do know that Conor is an MMA fighter, right?

He is not and never has been a pro boxer, licensing for this bout aside..

I'll take my chances in Ireland's intermediates..

It's not me not respecting the difference between amateur and pro athletes. It's you not respecting, or having a clue between the skills of trained boxers vs. non boxers in a boxing match..
    The more you post the more I suspect your real name rhymes with Bax Tellerman

The clue is in his name, it's Billy Walsh. It would explain a lot of his posts too ;)

Well, your perspective is that Floyd could beat him with one arm and so to be impressed by McGregor's bag work from that perspective....... is pretty meaningless tbf.

Nice edit from your OTT rant..

Maybe my praise regarding his bag work is meaningless..

But it impressed me nonetheless...

What, because I think he hasn't a prayer in the actual fight I can't praise him on anything?

Get over it..

What, because I think he hasn't a prayer in the actual fight I can't praise him on anything?

Nobody said you can't praise him, relax.

I'm just pointing out the context of your praise is all.

• Advertisement

Nobody said you can't praise him, relax.

I'm just pointing out the context of your praise is all.

There is no context. I liked his bag work.

Completely separate to the task he faces next week..

Nothing he did on the bag changes that, hence my point being a standalone point..

Context not relevant..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Are you actually the Billy Walsh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

3 separate rumours on fb today about the fight being cancelled. A week of being flooded with clickbait ahead

Some fair comments from Hatton regarding McGregor's chances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I heard one Paulie M has recently bought a powered paraglider........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

3 separate rumours on fb today about the fight being cancelled. A week of being flooded with clickbait ahead

5/1 in the bookies to not go ahead next Saturday

Speaking of Paulie, you would think the guy would be taking his foot of the pedal now with the McGregor/Dana bashing but today is one of his busier days.

He's unbelievable. Even Artem getting it now..........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought Artem had a go at Paulie, could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Any odds on mayweather pulling out of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Speaking of Paulie, you would think the guy would be taking his foot of the pedal now with the McGregor/Dana bashing but today is one of his busier days.

He's unbelievable. Even Artem getting it now..........

I can't bring myself to listen to him drone on for 15 minutes. What's the main talking points?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement