Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

Has "the Irish are the blacks of Europe" been said yet?

McGregor definitely more Comfortable at hurling the insults but he'd want to make sure he doesn't get dragged in to a racism argument. No argument about race ends well in America.
    I think Floyd struggles with trying to compete with McGregor when it comes to trash talk. Made a few good comebacks but doesnt look as natural as Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    Agree completely, context is obviously key. That's how most language works.

Continuing your example, somebody from east Belfast saying it has negative connotations sure. But the equivalent to that for the "Boy" thing is someone Deep South red neck saying it, not a somebody from Ireland.

And fenian isn't exactly an everyday word like boy/girl/man.

To continue your (correct) extrapolation, I would be pissed off if someone with no understanding of the context used it but I would make allowances for the fact that they couldn't possibly be expected to understand the intricacies of the local slang. I would then expect them to refrain from doing so in future.

Fenian is certainly not an everyday term, but "boy" isn't either in the context McGregor was using it. It's not typically part of the West Dublin lexicon.

I don't believe McGregor is racist, or even trying to be racist to dig at him, but having been reminded or informed of the significance, he should leave it well alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I see Dee posted up a photo of her and Conor Jr. heading over to London to the press conference.

• To continue your (correct) extrapolation, I would be pissed off if someone with no understanding of the context used it but I would make allowances for the fact that they couldn't possibly be expected to understand the intricacies of the local slang. I would then expect them to refrain from doing so in future.

Fenian is certainly not an everyday term, but "boy" isn't either in the context McGregor was using it. It's not typically part of the West Dublin lexicon.

I don't believe McGregor is racist, or even trying to be racist to dig at him, but having been reminded or informed of the significance, he should leave it well alone.

By who, and who has determined it's significance?
    I suspect PC Principal will be in attendance at London tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Nothing sounds more racist than someone having to explain they aren't racist. It's quicksand.

Saying "I love rap music" or "sure I had Jay Zs album on stage" is one step removed from "sure I have loads of black friends"

I don't think for one second he's actually racist, but he IS clueless. He needs to stay well away from anything race related. Such a hot issue in America atm and will completely snowball if it gets a chance.

• Advertisement

• D.Q wrote: »
    Nothing sounds more racist than someone having to explain they aren't racist. It's quicksand.

Saying "I love rap music" or "sure I had Jay Zs album on stage" is one step removed from "sure I have loads of black friends"

I don't think for one second he's actually racist, but he IS clueless. He needs to stay well away from anything race related. Such a hot issue in America atm and will completely snowball if it gets a chance.

So if the media continue to ask him he should just ignore the accusations?
    Floyd latching on to it and fueling it on TMZ doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

foxatron wrote: »
    Has "the Irish are the blacks of Europe" been said yet?

McGregor definitely more Comfortable at hurling the insults but he'd want to make sure he doesn't get dragged in to a racism argument. No argument about race ends well in America.
    I think Floyd struggles with trying to compete with McGregor when it comes to trash talk. Made a few good comebacks but doesnt look as natural as Conor.

He did something similar with Hatton when he worse the United jersey. Hatton is a massive City supporter FYI.

MayweatherFinger_468x531.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It would be epic if he brought a projector tonight and followed Father Ted's method.

areyouright2.jpg

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It would be epic if he brought a projector tonight and followed Father Ted's method.

areyouright2.jpg

Majestic.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Floyd latching on to it and fueling it on TMZ doesn't help.

Of course it helps.

It's nothing new but racial tension sells and has always sold.

Go back over 100 years and it was the exact same playbook the boxing promoter Tex Ricard went with. He got Jim Jeffries out of retirement and billed him as "The Great White Hope" to fight the first African-American champion Jack Johnson in 1910.

That fight was the highest grossing fight at the time and was basically 100% sold as a black v white thing.

Racial tension sells; whether it's newspapers, books, PPV's, tv ratings - black v white storylines go over well. It's cynical but when you see a black man being gunned down unjustly by a white American cop, you don't just get protests in the streets ... you get huge spikes in tv ratings for cable news outlets and print media too.

Floyd is no dummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

When it comes to promoting a fight there aren't any more savvy fighters than Floyd. He isn't as sharp verbally as he used to be in the mid 00's, he may not be able to read etc but he knows exactly what buttons to press to promote a fight. He would be well aware of the Larry Holmes-Gerry Cooney race fiasco that led to the fight breaking all records in the early 80s, and if Floyd thinks the race card will sell to black America, you can bet your arse he will use it.
    Its just another thing to add to his storyline of being old/unable to do what he used to do/finding it hard to get his body back in shape angle of coming across as beatable, that McGregor has a chance. Sell Sell Sell and he's being doing it since the Corrales fight in 2001 (i'm doing this for the battered women of America ironically enough, as Corrales had been charged with domestic abuse).

As for Conor "rattling" him or getting inside his head, not a hope. He has been wearing the black hat for so long to know that all that matters is how much he is making, and come fight night he will do what he does.

• Of course it helps.

It's nothing new but racial tension sells and has always sold.

Go back over 100 years and it was the exact same playbook the boxing promoter Tex Ricard went with. He got Jim Jeffries out of retirement and billed him as "The Great White Hope" to fight the first African-American champion Jack Johnson in 1910.

That fight was the highest grossing fight at the time and was basically 100% sold as a black v white thing.

Racial tension sells; whether it's newspapers, books, PPV's, tv ratings - black v white storylines go over well. It's cynical but when you see a black man being gunned down unjustly by a white American cop, you don't just get protests in the streets ... you get huge spikes in tv ratings for cable news outlets and print media too.

Floyd is no dummy.
    Helps what? Promote the fight?
    Or start some snowflake driven race war when there is absolutely nothing in it to begin with.
    I never implied that Floyd doesn't know what he's doing.
    But what he is doing is stupid and he in my opinion is more to blame than anyone else if this boils over.
    The fight already has enough publicity as it stands. It doesn't need this sort of media driven made up drivel alongside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

1. You've no idea what Floyd is worth and his own father said he worries he'll go bankrupt due to his ways.

2. He was having fun.

3. As opposed to what? Floyd's genius wit? "hard work! hard work!"

4. The only thing that made him look like a clown was him making a pigs ear of a joke to defend himself against the racism accusations.

If Conor is out of his league it *might* be in the ring August 26th. Otherwise he's far from out of his league. He's clearly *winning* this press tour if winning = who goes viral. He's crushing Floyd in every single way online - his videos doing more views, there's more articles being written about him, he's beating Floyd on every metric.

The whole point of press conferences is to get your name into the press.

It's frankly laughable to suggest he is out of his league when it comes to competing on a microphone against Mr. "Hard Work!".

He's a less successful, less established in his career professionaly..more losses on his record...and a photocopy of Floyd with bad fashion sense and tendency to talk like a scumbag..no matter what he ever does he'll have always held L's on his record... So there's no comparison

Winning because he's going viral?? Come off it....Floyd's had a checkmate on Mcgregor since before that contract was signed..Mcgregor is blessed to even stand on the same stage as him

• pone2012 wrote: »
    He's a less successful, less established in his career professionaly..more losses on his record...and a photocopy of Floyd with bad fashion sense and tendency to talk like a scumbag..no matter what he ever does he'll have always held L's on his record... So there's no comparison

Winning because he's going viral?? Come off it....Floyd's had a checkmate on Mcgregor since before that contract was signed..Mcgregor is blessed to even stand on the same stage as him

What's the definition of "talking like a scumbag"?

What's the definition of "talking like a scumbag"?

Dublin accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

D.Q wrote: »
    Dublin accent.

Thats racist against dublin people.

Its caused by genetic condition that comes from having their head shoved up their own arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭xtal191

If I was that Showtime lad I'd stand right up to McGregor next time he mouths off in the hope he laid a finger on me.

Helps what? Promote the fight?
    Or start some snowflake driven race war when there is absolutely nothing in it to begin with.
    I never implied that Floyd doesn't know what he's doing.
    But what he is doing is stupid and he in my opinion is more to blame than anyone else if this boils over.

A "snowflake driven race war" will absolutely add to the PPV sales and that's all Floyd cares about.

UFC 203 in Cleveland had an audience in attendance that was pretty much 97% white people despite being held in a city whose population is over 58% black. Dana White is on record in the past saying the only tv demo ratings he cares about are the 15-40 white demo's.

MMA has failed dismally to attract the black audience.

Boxing has a much higher % of the black audience in America. A lot of them are looking at this fight as a complete mis-match between a boxer and a mixed martial artist. Many of them won't buy the PPV and, if you take race out of it, a lot of white people are feeling the same.

But if Floyd frames it as the best black boxer going into the ring to shut the mouth of a racist white punk mixed martial artist... he might attract more of the black audience into parting with $89.95 to see the white kid taught a lesson and visciously KO'd.

Equally, the more Conor plays up to Floyd being a woman-beating asshole he's going to go in and KO unconscious, that'd help too.

Look, I get your point it's all a storm in a teacup but this whole fight has been media-driven from the outset. The media created this. The whole narrative of the "fans" wanting to see this fight is BS. I didn't see any MMA fans calling for the Floyd fight and I didn't see any boxing fans calling for it either.

MMA fans wanted Conor v Khabib and boxing fans were so cheesed off with Floyd's last 2 showings they didn't care if he came back or not.

It's a media-driven fight and they're using every angle possible to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

xtal191 wrote:
    If I was that Showtime lad I'd stand right up to McGregor next time he mouths off in the hope he laid a finger on me.

But the stuff is all an act. All parties are making money & it's an on stage performance trying to drum up fans passion or naivety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gintonious wrote: »
    He did something similar with Hatton when he worse the United jersey. Hatton is a massive City supporter FYI.

MayweatherFinger_468x531.jpg

I think the De La Hoya fight is even more relevant.

BvnCMhkCMAA0NQs.jpg

• Advertisement

pone2012 wrote: »

If the point of a press conference is to generate press, then Conor is winning the Press Tour.

You're entitled to your anti-Conor opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts. Conor is getting the most publicity out of this media tour so far and that is the whole point of the tour. That can't be disputed because the numbers speak for themselves.

As for the rest, if your starting point is holding it against Conor that he comes from Crumlin and talks the way he talks then the rest of your opinions don't carry much weight.

Floyd has 8 losses on his record from the amateur days and TBH I would class the Sitenkov fight as an amateur fight in all-but-name. He barely knew how to sprawl when he fought Sitenkov and Duffy let's be real here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What's the story with the "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" error on tonight's presser stream.... wasn't that way for any of the other three.

It'll be on itv box office for free tonight

Mellor wrote: »
    I think the De La Hoya fight is even more relevant.

BvnCMhkCMAA0NQs.jpg

The trash talk for that was incredible.

incase2.jpg

If the point of a press conference is to generate press, then Conor is winning the Press Tour.

You're entitled to your anti-Conor opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts. Conor is getting the most publicity out of this media tour so far and that is the whole point of the tour. That can't be disputed because the numbers speak for themselves.

As for the rest, if your starting point is holding it against Conor that he comes from Crumlin and talks the way he talks then the rest of your opinions don't carry much weight.

Floyd has 8 losses on his record from the amateur days and TBH I would class the Sitenkov fight as an amateur fight in all-but-name. He barely knew how to sprawl when he fought Sitenkov and Duffy let's be real here.

Exactly how to you quantify that? Numbers of what?

And the references to the losses, you seem to think that Mayweathers amateur losses count against him but that McGregors pro losses don't count against him, am I reading that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

And the references to the losses, you seem to think that Mayweathers amateur losses count against him but that McGregors pro losses don't count against him, am I reading that right?

If there's one thing I learned, it's that wonder can back up media numbers quite well.

He'll come out swinging, and you'll be floored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Conor is getting the most publicity out of this media tour so far and that is the whole point of the tour. That can't be disputed because the numbers speak for themselves.

I think both are getting publicity to be honest. They arent mutually exclusive. Mcgregor has the soundbites but mayweather must be giddy with the thoughts of the money he'll make. I would say mcgregor is doing exactly what mayweather hoped he would.

If there's one thing I learned, it's that wonder can back up media numbers quite well.

He'll come out swinging, and you'll be floored.

Im not doubting that, but how do you say the numbers are directly for McGregor over Mayweather, when they are both on the same screen at the same time?

I am genuinely interested to know.

Well you quantify publicity quite easily. You can use google search to see the amount of articles written about each this week. You can use google search analytics and search their names to see search trends. You can search their names on youtube and count up the view counts on their individual interviews this week. You can use twitter and instagram to see how many mentions a fighter gets. You can look at tweet impressions on their tweets. You can look at the net +/- on followers this week on facebook/twitter/instagram.

Conor is beating him (easily) in every category.

As for the records, I'm saying:

1. It's much more difficult, borderline impossible, to go undefeated in MMA. If we start there, that's almost enough reason in itself why it's stupid to compare records.

2. Floyd's 49-0 record is more padded than Conor's 21-3 record. Floyd's first 16 pro opponents don't even have a wikipedia page and his next 5 opponents were journeymen at super-featherweight.

3. Conor was 19 when he fought Sitenkov and had only been doing MMA months.... even though it's technically a "Pro fight", to my mind given his age and skillset it was an amateur contest in all-but-name. It *counts* but my personal opinion is it's misleading.

4. Floyd isn't undefeated in his boxing career. That's just a fact. He's merely undefeated in his pro career. He wasn't playing tiddlywinks as an amateur, he competed in the Olympics.

I think it's foolish for that poster to point to Conor's 3 losses, it makes him look clueless about MMA. Jon Jones is undefeated because he's a freak and even then many people think Alex beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm not really sure why you find the concept so difficult. Language and interpretation of language isn't universal. As an example, I've no problem with any of my friends jokingly referring to us as taigs or fenians. It's not ok for Billy or Sammy from East Belfast to do the same.

I'm sorry but the African-American community don't have some sort of rights over the term "boy".

He used it in the "I'm yer daddy" sense. Calling ANYONE 40 year old man "boy" is demeaning. Anyone looking for the race thing is just looking to get offended by anything.

• Advertisement

British tabloids reporting they arrived on same flight, have pictures

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement