Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

cletus wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/terms-and-conditions/12930/10539101/FAQs

This is for a different fight, but I'd imagine the process stands. I plan on watching it this way myself
    Leaving it fairly late to have it up here. Fingers crossed they do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I can't bring myself to listen to him drone on for 15 minutes. What's the main talking points?

Oh just the same nonsense but only this time he had a pop at Artem saying that of you put Everlast on his head it would be a insult to heavy bags.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ha, that's a good joke in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Paulie mentioned something about rabbit punches being illegal in both boxing, and MMA, is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Paulie mentioned something about rabbit punches being illegal in both boxing, and MMA, is that true?

Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

There are very few human beings on this planet who can just cope with the pressure of the biggest fights in the world. There are even less human beings able to thrive under that pressure. Conor is one of them.

The nerves backstage for the Diaz rematch were viscerally sickening to see it written over all their faces. The rematch (essentially) meant nothing. Sure, 2 consecutive losses at 170lb's wouldn't have been great but he still had his belt and an in-built excuse if he lost...but if you look at the backstage footage, it meant absolutely everything to them and the calmest person in that entire arena was Conor.

You're right he's not a professional boxer but he is one of the few people on the planet to have fought in sell-out arenas with $10 million plus gates and 1.5 million+ PPV's. None of Floyd's previous opponents had fought under stages that big, literally none - even Oscar de la Hoya v Shane Mosley didn't break $10 million gate or 1.5 million for the PPV.

Conor is almost uniquely equipped to perform under the intensity of this occasion.

Watch this from 3:30 to 6:30. It takes a special kind of person to eat pressure like that and come out and execute a gameplan.

Jesus, the hyperbole in your posts makes me quesy. I like Conor and have followed mma since the K-1 days and my opinion is that Floyd will annihilate him. I don't mind people having reasoned debate on the fight but this Conor is special stuff is way over the top and bordering on man crushing and cultish.

Yes, he's a special athlete in terms of being the best in the world at his craft, that takes a special mindset to get to that place but the man is not god. He is also fighting one of greatest boxers of all-time and you really don't believe that Mayweather possesses those same mental attributes to get where he is. You really think the gate receipt value of a fight makes up for the huge disparity in skill? I think you've spent too long hanging on every word McGregor has said to the point where you can't come up with original thought.

All of guys are taking the Mick out of Walsh and I can't believe I'm saying this but he at least has stuck to rationale thought throughout this thread on skill rather than hyperbole. In a fight of skill, Mayweather absolutely demolishes Conor. Surely, we can agree on that? so essentially you guys are hanging all of your chips on a punches chance. I happen to agree that McGregor would struggle to hang with an intermediate on the basis that he couldn't do it when his focus was boxing, what makes you think skill wise that he has improved so much that he could do it now? Sure, he is a better athlete now but he's also lost 1000's of hours boxing training on guys he couldn't hang with when he did train to box.

Not hating on him or mma as they are serious athletes and tough as nails but if you want to talk about the mental game, the disparity in experience and fight iq is the main factor and not ticket sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Any odds on mayweather pulling out of this?

250,000,000/1

El Caballo wrote: »
    Yes, he's a special athlete in terms of being the best in the world at his craft, that takes a special mindset to get to that place but the man is not god. He is also fighting one of greatest boxers of all-time and you really don't believe that Mayweather possesses those same mental attributes to get where he is. You really think the gate receipt value of a fight makes up for the huge disparity in skill? I think you've spent too long hanging on every word McGregor has said to the point where you can't come up with original thought.

I think you completely missed the point of my post.

For most of Floyd's 47 victims, especially the last 15, fighting Floyd was the pinnacle. It was a massive step-up in terms of the stage, the finances surrounding the fight and pressure. Where Conor has an advantage over the likes of Maidana, Berto, Canelo isn't anything to do with skill or technique... it's that he has headlined massive cards and fought under a similar intensity of pressure.

Finances bring pressure with them. When people have paid $17.7 million to fill Madison Square Garden to watch you fight, there's an inherent pressure to deliver a good performance. When there's 1.6 million people watching your fight on PPV there's a pressure to deliver for those people who spent their $60.

That's *all* I was saying and you replied to points I didn't make.

Conor is used to the enormity of the occasion. Most of Floyd's opponents were not and a couple said afterwards that the occasion overwhelmed them; that they'd be in the middle of the ring with him making them miss and they'd feel flustered, embarrassed and agitated. I feel confident Conor will handle the pressure and the occasion. Floyd could still very well KO Conor with the first punch he throws! It's a fight and anything can happen but I don't feel the occasion will overwhelm either man.

That's my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

I think you completely missed the point of my post.

For most of Floyd's 47 victims, especially the last 15, fighting Floyd was the pinnacle. It was a massive step-up in terms of the stage, the finances surrounding the fight and pressure. Where Conor has an advantage over the likes of Maidana, Berto, Canelo isn't anything to do with skill or technique... it's that he has headlined massive cards and fought under a similar intensity of pressure.

Finances bring pressure with them. When people have paid $17.7 million to fill Madison Square Garden to watch you fight, there's an inherent pressure to deliver a good performance. When there's 1.6 million people watching your fight on PPV there's a pressure to deliver for those people who spent their $60.

That's *all* I was saying and you replied to points I didn't make.

Conor is used to the enormity of the occasion. Most of Floyd's opponents were not and a couple said afterwards that the occasion overwhelmed them; that they'd be in the middle of the ring with him making them miss and they'd feel flustered, embarrassed and agitated. I feel confident Conor will handle the pressure and the occasion. Floyd could still very well KO Conor with the first punch he throws! It's a fight and anything can happen but I don't feel the occasion will overwhelm either man.

That's my point.

I've no problem at all with what you're saying, Conor is a very special individual to do what he has done over the past few years and has to be admired by every single one of us.

I do however think that come Friday night when he has his head on his pillow he will say to himself "Tomorrow i'm going to fight Floyd Mayweather". A man who he has clearly grown up admiring both inside and outside of the ring. Now am i saying he will be bricking it? Absolutely not, excited and astonished beyond any of us can imagine i would believe. There are levels and Mayweather is the highest level of anyone who watched combat sports since the late 90s till now. And Conor knows that.

But honestly, fair ****ing play to him. As much as i am a lover of boxing and Mayweathers style in particular, i'm in awe at what Conor has achieved. Everytime i rewatch a Mayweather fight i've been asking myself "What was Conor doing at this time?" and its only when you realise that even as late as when Mayweather fought Cotto that you could still ask that same question, and that was only 5 years ago. Its an astonishing feat.

But obviously as a Boxing lover and a fan of MMA, i give him no hope against Floyd. Thats not saying i hope he crashes and burns. Its just my head is simply not able to even see how its possible. The exact same way my head would be if it was to take place in the Octagon. (Cliche City)

gilmour wrote: »
    I do however think that come Friday night when he has his head on his pillow he will say to himself "Tomorrow i'm going to fight Floyd Mayweather". A man who he has clearly grown up admiring both inside and outside of the ring.

I think Conor's confidence is on a scale where he will be thinking "Tomorrow Floyd is going to fight me".

On a separate point, does anyone want to explain to me the definition of a "lucky punch" so I can know what luck went into the shot that drops Floyd early on next week. :D

• Advertisement

I think Conor's confidence is on a scale where he will be thinking "Tomorrow Floyd is going to fight me".

On a separate point, does anyone want to explain to me the definition of a "lucky punch" so I can know what luck went into the shot that drops Floyd early on next week. :D

Windmilling while he is in danger, lands on the button and gets a KO is my definition of a lucky punch. A panic punch basically.

If Conor were to think like that 24/7 he has cocaine for blood. He's not a god.

Btw i hope he brought his razor for the beard next week :D

Windmilling while he is in danger, lands on the button and gets a KO is my definition of a lucky punch. A panic punch basically.

Ok. In my opinion it's an oxymoron. There's no such thing.

Anyway, I'm aware next week the the fight thread will be very busy so I made a helpful little picture to save people a bit of time.

dgrn8y.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It amazing me to think that some people are stupid enough to think in 2017, the biggest fight there's ever been, will be fixed.

Anyway, I'm aware next week the the fight thread will be very busy so I made a helpful little picture to save people a bit of time.

I know you have your "alternative" speech ready though

"He might have lost but he won the night :)
    Responsible for the biggest fight, gate, PPV, closed circuit audience, packed bar attendances, pints sold, hookers hooked, meals on the strip in Vegas that ever existed :)
    Won the staredown hands down :)
    Loudest cheers, 99.99% of the social media and internet demographic in his favour :)
    Despite being TKO'ed he landed more per second than any other boxer :) MMA is the big winner here :):)

100million :) More smiley faces :):):)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Great bants, lads. Looking forward to the week ahead! One way or another it'll be a salty Sunday in here next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

If Conor were to think like that 24/7 he has cocaine for blood. He's not a god.

Btw i hope he brought his razor for the beard next week :D

To be fair conor could use a crazy swinging style that he has practiced all camp. Would it still be classed as a lucky punch even tbough it was part of a game plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

The voice over actor in the "Notorious" trailer is giving your one from the Michael Collins advert a good run for her money! Cringe :P

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/899051390785523712

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGBYa2YEKZs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jesus could they not just get an Irish person to do the voice over instead of some yank who can't do accents?

Of course.

Ta, just looked into it, and a rabbit punch isn't what I thought it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jesus could they not just get an Irish person to do the voice over instead of some yank who can't do accents?

Yup, never ceases to amaze me that Oirish crap

• Advertisement

That's horrendous! To the point of insulting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Great bants, lads. Looking forward to the week ahead! One way or another it'll be a salty Sunday in here next week.

I don't think so. Despite the efforts of a few posters to group all MMA fans into one hive-mind. The reality, most regulars here aren't predicting anything wildly different than he boxing forum regs.
    J0E_90 wrote: »
    In fairness, Provincial championships nowadays rarely feature the strongest fighters.

Provincial Intermediates would be a few levels below National Intermediates, and very few fighters would compete in both, at least in the same year.
    I'm not surprised that the Nationals are a higher standard than the provincals. Same as most sports though really.
    Suppose that's the difference between saying "any Irish intermediate" and "Ireland's best intermediate" - I can't remember what the original discussion was.

Also, never got any input on this. Shame.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Amateur or pro rules?
    Let's say pro rules, 8 oz gloves and 8 rounds.
    Paulie vrs an intermediate - a random intermediate (not necessarily the best intermediate)

I appreciate it's seems irrelevant, but I do have a point.

Ta, just looked into it, and a rabbit punch isn't what I thought it was.

By any chance did you think it was a kidney/low back punch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I think a lot of people think that rabbit punches are the short shots thrown in the clinch.

Not even close.

:o

I guess I had in my head something like bitchslapping, both hands, you know, like an actual rabbit/hare fighting.

Like the first 30 seconds here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Needs a Robin Black breakdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That's allowed - it's how Ronda punches.

Rabbits are like small kangaroos when they fight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I think a lot of people think that rabbit punches are the short shots thrown in the clinch.

A Rabbit punch is one behind the ear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement