Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mellor wrote: »
    Rabbits are like small kangaroos when they fight

Having seen the aftermath of a rabbit fight, I can say they're vicious little ****ers. Eyes hanging out, scratched to bits job.

It must be a day for horrendous accents.

https://twitter.com/TheJivemaster/status/899173037924397056/video/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Having seen the aftermath of a rabbit fight, I can say they're vicious little ****ers. Eyes hanging out, scratched to bits job.

It must be a day for horrendous accents.

https://twitter.com/TheJivemaster/status/899173037924397056/video/1

I actually think even an intermediate Irish rabbit would give conor trouble.

D.Q wrote: »
    I actually think even an intermediate Irish rabbit would give conor trouble.

The average Welsh rarebit gives me indigestion, I can tell ye that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

walshb wrote: »
    That is a little harsh.

It wasn't crap to begin with, and certainly not deliberately crap.

Watch it again. He has lovely fluidity, shot delivery, feet, variety, connection and a beautiful right hook....

What's your definition of proper or acceptable work on a heavy bag?

Throwing proper combos, using footwork, moving your head.

He hit the bag a few times with the back of his hand and that dancing around was just a waste of moving around.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Throwing proper combos, using footwork, moving your head.

He hit the bag a few times with the back of his hand and that dancing around was just a waste of moving around.

I just put it down to him playing up the "mystical, flowy, martial artsy" guff for the cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think the amount people look into a bag workout and discern from that is amusing. He was just having fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A Rabbit punch is on behind the ear.

He was saying what people often think it means, not what he thought it meant. I mentioned kidney punches for the same reasons - I've heard people mistakenly used it that way a few times.

And it's actually a punch to the back of the head/cervical spine, name comes from hunters dispatch wounded rabbits. How "back of the head" is defined varies from place to place and sport to sport. Could be anywhere behind the ear, or the "mobile phone strip" right on the spine in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'He (Floyd) would need to bring in Bruce Lee to mimic me'.

Ladies and gentlemen we have reached peak hubris.

Couple of things that jumped out to me:

Conors eye for detail pops out, going into things like the tension of the ropes.

And secondly, he almost seemed stuck when Andrew asked him about the possibility of a gym like the UFC performance gym being brought to Ireland, almost as though he hadn't thought of it.

Would there be a need/demand for a hyperspec gym here? What would be the closest we have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

gilmour wrote: »
    I know you have your "alternative" speech ready though

I can't speak for everyone but for me personally if Conor loses the only "speech" I'm going to give is a mea culpa for being wrong.

There are no moral victories or plucky defeats here, there are only victories and losses - it's very black and white. I don't care if Conor drops Floyd 4 times - if he still gets KO'd or loses a decision, then it was a defeat and that's not something to be celebrated.

Couple of things that jumped out to me:

Conors eye for detail pops out, going into things like the tension of the ropes.

And secondly, he almost seemed stuck when Andrew asked him about the possibility of a gym like the UFC performance gym being brought to Ireland, almost as though he hadn't thought of it.

Would there be a need/demand for a hyperspec gym here? What would be the closest we have?

When he answered the very last question, he almost word for word said what I have been saying about him being more used to the occasion than any of Floyd's previous opponents :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

El Caballo wrote: »

All of guys are taking the Mick out of Walsh and I can't believe I'm saying this but he at least has stuck to rationale thought throughout this thread on skill rather than hyperbole.

Why can't you believe you're "saying this?"

You're posting as if you have some dislike for me...

cloudatlas wrote: »

And Bruce was a southpaw too...

Useless 'boxer' though...

If the Bruce Lee stuff is peak hubris, then we reached it many years ago.

Conor absolutely worships the ground Bruce Lee walked on, there's many many interviews over the years where he talks about Bruce and aspired to be like Bruce. In fact, the 3 people who influenced him the most (outside of his team, family etc) are Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali and Floyd Mayweather.

Some Bruce quotes:

Bruce: "The highest technique is to have no technique"
    Bruce: "There is no opponent"
    Bruce: "A good martial artist does not stay tense but ready... ready for whatever may come."
    Bruce: "A strike should be like a whip".

Some Conor quotes:

Conor: "I can fight in all styles"
    Conor: "There is no opponent I'm competing against myself in there"
    Conor: "I stay ready so I don't have to get ready."
    Conor: "They say you shouldn't kick a wrestler but if you kick like a whip, it's very difficult to catch a whip".

In fact, this one short speech from Bruce in Enter the Dragon in 1973 probably influenced Conor's career more than any other:

Early days Conor repeating the Bruce Lee mantra:

If you go further, a lot of Conor's techniques are hugely influenced by Bruce Lee. The snapping left hook, the whipping teeps, the way he throws his left high kick... it's all Bruce.

Not everyone knows this but without Bruce Lee there is likely no Conor McGregor anyway in a very literal sense.

Here's the lineage of John Kavanagh's coaching credentials if you trace it:

Bruce Lee ---> Dan Inosanto ---> Burton Richardson ---> Matt Thornton ---> John Kavanagh.

Fair enough, Matt got his black belt in BJJ from Rickson Gracie but his path into martial arts was through Jeet-Kune-Do and without Bruce Lee that precise path wouldn't have been open to him, so there's very real ties between Bruce Lee and Conor McGregor beyond just hero-worshipping him.

Anyway it's not hubris to be influenced by great people and to consider yourself on their level after a ton of hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

All deliberate.............. and designed to elicit responses just like yours.

In fact, McGregor had actually planned to do nothing but BJJ throughout the workout at one point and in fact Helwani does an excellent impression of the kind of numb skull responses that would no doubt have garnered in the following (at 23m 20s):

All deliberate.............. and designed to elicit responses just like yours.

In fact, McGregor had actually planned to do nothing but BJJ throughout the workout at one point and in fact Helwani does an excellent impression of the kind of numb skull responses that would no doubt have garnered in the following (at 23m 20s):

That would have been hilarious if he had done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not everyone knows this but without Bruce Lee there is likely no Conor McGregor anyway in a very literal sense.

Here's the lineage of John Kavanagh's coaching credentials if you trace it:

Bruce Lee ---> Dan Inosanto ---> Burton Richardson ---> Matt Thornton ---> John Kavanagh.

Fair enough, Matt got his black belt in BJJ from Rickson Gracie
    Slight error there Wonder. Matt didn't get his BJJ black belt from Rickson. He got it from Chris Hauter - One of the BJJ Dirty Dozen. Chris is a black belt under Machado brothers, but (and this probably helps your point) he's was also a JKD instructor under Dan Inosanto.

The other obvious connection is Straight Blast Gym. The name SBG came from one of Bruce Lee's signature techniques.
    In some of his books, Bruce Lee mentions how boxers would scoff at this 'funny' looking [Straight Blast] technique, but when they were not expecting it in sparring matches, they would take the brunt of the attack, be thrown off guard and defeated.

There are also some associations between the Straight Blast and the [Jack] Dempsey Roll. An old fashioned boxing technique long since fallen out of use. Hmmm, sound familiar?

Mellor wrote: »
    Slight error there Wonder. Matt didn't get his BJJ black belt from Rickson. He got it from Chris Hauter - One of the BJJ Dirty Dozen. Chris is a black belt under Machado brothers, but (and this probably helps your point) he's was also a JKD instructor under Dan Inosanto.

The other obvious connection is Straight Blast Gym. The name SBG came from one of Bruce Lee's signature techniques.

There are also some associations between the Straight Blast and the [Jack] Dempsey Roll. An old fashioned boxing technique long since fallen out of use. Hmmm, sound familiar?

Sorry yep you're right. I was reading an interview with Matt where he says he got a belt from Rickson but it turns out the only belt Rickson directly awarded him was his blue belt, from there on he got all his belts from Chris.

Yeah my general point was SBG, right to John Kavanagh, have direct lines and links straight back to Bruce Lee :) Which is kinda cool when you think about next weekend, where Conor is trying to implement the philosophies of Bruce. He might come up short because he's facing a master boxer but it's good to hear him say he's going to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If the Bruce Lee stuff is peak hubris, then we reached it many years ago.

Anyway it's not hubris to be influenced by great people and to consider yourself on their level after a ton of hard work.

Who said it was hubris to be influenced by great people he implied he was on a par with Bruce Lee, I can't help you if you think this actually deserves credence.

Could we see Floyd do what he did against De La Hoya and come out dressed in the full Irish get up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Could we see Floyd do what he did against De La Hoya and come out dressed in the full Irish get up?

That gum shield will go nicely with the Irish left hand that'll be in his face :)

Who said it was hubris to be influenced by great people he implied he was on a par with Bruce Lee, I can't help you if you think this actually deserves credence.

He was implying his style of moving is not easily copied and is more fluid like Bruce Lee's was.

He's not far wrong in the sense it'd be tough for Floyd to find a southpaw mixed martial artist who can mimic Conor. Both Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez brought in Jonas Bilahrino to try mimic Conor but it didn't do them a whole lot of good, so I suspect it's extremely difficult to replicate Conor's style in sparring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's some more of that Notorious thing from Sports Night.

Man it's horrendous and not just because of the narrator's Far & Away esque accent.

Only interesting thing is that Sutcliffe appears to have old boxing card he's reading which shows McGregor vs (with no name opposite) but listed as Bout 7.

Weird the way fcuk all of that kind of thing has ever been scanned and thrown up online over the years. Or even a pic or two of him competing.

Apparently Floyd set to earn 25 million for the clothing alone for the bout. Made up of the robe, shorts, and baseball cap post fight...

Here's some more of that Notorious thing from Sports Night.

Man it's horrendous and not just because of the narrator's Far & Away esque accent.

Watched it earlier but it's pretty much unwatchable due to the narration. It's ok on mute with closed captions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Watched it earlier but it's pretty much unwatchable due to the narration. It's ok on mute with closed captions.

It's not narrated by that lad with the shocking accent in the trailer is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Only interesting thing is that Sutcliffe appears to have old boxing card he's reading which shows McGregor vs (with no name opposite) but listed as Bout 7.

Weird the way fcuk all of that kind of thing has ever been scanned and thrown up online over the years. Or even a pic or two of him competing.

Jamie Kavanagh posted it on his twitter last year

https://twitter.com/JamieKavanagh90/status/713137100405624832

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Conor should wear a mouthguard with a painting of Floyd's ex wife lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Watch the Dustin poiret fight... It's over quick and you won't see anything... But perhaps find a slow mo version or one with analysis... His movement is unreal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement