Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

It's not narrated by that lad with the shocking accent in the trailer is it?

It is to be sure to sure.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It is to be sure to sure.....

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I won't even pretend to have the expertise to answer this question.

Jack Slack has done tremendous work over the last 5 years on Conor, including writing an article in 2014 titled "Conor McGregor is the future of mixed martial arts", so he was far ahead of the curve. (For the record Jack gives Conor almost no chance against Floyd).

"
That stance has attracted a lot of attention because it is so much wider than the norm. It's often likened to a karate stance. No surprises there—he likes to move back and then spring in, and he doesn't move to the side all that much. The way you specialize your stance to move quickly to the front or rear is to make it longer and thinner so that you have a foot to drive off of in front of you and one behind you at all times. It's the same in karate, as it is in fencing, as it is for a boxer who really likes to use in and out movement on a line. There's no specific name for it, it's just how the human body accomplishes that goal best."

In terms of Conor's movement and footwork, it's pretty special (and different) if you believe the likes of Jack Slack but only because Conor cherry-picks what works from other elite athletes and implements it in his own game. Jack does a piece on movements and set-ups that Conor robbed directly from Saenchai, Lyoto Machida, Naseem Hamed, Floyd Mayweather etc but the unique bit is the way he melds them all together.

TL;DR - You might just see a bog-standard southpaw counter-puncher but he fights from a pretty unusual stance and the way he ties his footwork patterns together are pretty unqiue. He's not reinventing the wheel or even introducing new concepts, he's just taking the best bits from a Goodyear, a Bridgestone etc and making it his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think he was so supremely confident against Alvarez he didn't have to employ his entire arsenal of mms skills. Alvarez approach was embarrassing, walked straight into shots.

Not Eddie's fault. He couldn't concentrate on executing plan "73!" due to the banshee in the front row screaming his name.

Also known as his wife.

Kirby wrote: »
    Not Eddie's fault. He couldn't concentrate on executing plan "73!" due to the banshee in the front row screaming his name.

Also known as his wife.

When I hear her my first thoughts are for their kids, can you imagine they are out playing on the green with their friends and she's screaming at them to come in for their dinner... I'd have been mortified at that age :pac:

Here's Urijah and Dustin breaking down the fight, well it's more Urijah waffling on lol but they all agree Conor himself believes he will knock him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Conors style of counter punching is exactly what floyd thrives on. He reads shots coming and knows when to hit.

If anything conors great style that has stood him so well might be his handicap in this fight.

Would love to see him just keep the pressure on floyd and not get dragged into a chess match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Weird, I'm not even thinking bout this fight, and will be away Saturday night, so not gonna even try and watch it...

However I had the most detailed dream last night, where the first round was boring as hell but then suddenly Mayweather caught Conor with a big shot, and knocked him. He got up, and Mayweather knocked him out cold.

Serious question. Highly unlikely as it is, but say McGregor somehow suffered serious injury. Should the commission who verified this "fight" then essentially be shut down and investigated heavily? As they would in essence have put a below amateur boxer in with one of the all time greats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Serious question. Highly unlikely as it is, but say McGregor somehow suffered serious injury. Should the commission who verified this "fight" then essentially be shut down and investigated heavily? As they would in essence have put a below amateur boxer in with one of the all time greats?

Yes they should, the agreement on 8oz gloves won't help their case either if something goes wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I said this right from the start, and many people are saying similar.

It is quite reckless IMO to allow this to happen. Let us hope Conor doesn't suffer any serious injury.

Would be more the possible sustained beating that Conor takes as opposed to a one/two punch KO type scenario.

Rd after rd of steady consistent head shots. Where the referee is not stopping it because Conor is giving off the impression that he is ok and defending somewhat, and the corner are kind of oblivious to it and don't see the damage clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

walshb wrote: »

It is quite reckless IMO to allow this to happen. Let us hope Conor doesn't suffer any serious injury.

Would be more the possible sustained beating that Conor takes as opposed to a one/two punch KO type scenario.

Rd after rd of steady consistent head shots. Where the referee is not stopping it because Conor is giving off the impression that he is ok and defending somewhat, and the corner are kind of oblivious to it and don't see the damage clearly.

Is that not a touch insulting to the corner, including Tommy McCormack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Big fan of Wayne McCullough. He does a bit of MMA training now on the side and he did work for the UFC so he has some decent insights.

Says he offered to help Conor years ago, and he just never got back to him.

Decent listen.

Is that not a touch insulting to the corner, including Tommy McCormack?

No, it's not....

I could say the same about hundreds of cornermen through history in boxing....

The fight hasn't happened yet. I am saying it's a possibility. Hardly insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Correct. It would actually be better for Connor to get knocked out than to take that kind of beating.

I'm reminded of just a few years ago, Russian boxer Magomed Abdusalamov who took a 10 round beating from Mike Perez and ended up severely brain damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Not sure if this has been posted yet but thought it would help a few people out:

http://www.skysports.com/terms-and-conditions/12930/10539101/FAQs
    FAQs - Sky Sports Box Office Live
    Sky Sports Box Office (Streaming)

What is it?

With Sky Sports Box Office you can watch all the fights live from selected Box Office events via your PC/Desktop/MAC, NOW TV box, iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet.

How do I sign up and pay?

1. Create an account and pay at www.skysports.com/boxofficelive
    2. Once paid, you can then select which viewing online/device you want to watch the fight on using the same login details created at sign up (i.e e-mail address and password). Note: you will only be able to view on one platform at any one time and can't run the stream concurrently across multiple devices. You will also be unable to view the event through a Sky or Virgin set-top-box unless you make an additional purchase of the event through the appropriate channels.

What devices or platforms can I watch this fight on?

The web player on your PC/Desktop/MAC through www.skysports.com/boxofficelive
    The Sky Sports Box Office app on your NOW TV box
    Download the Sports Box Office app from either the Apple or Play Store and view across either your iPhone, iPad, Android Phone or Android Tablet.
    You cannot watch the event through a Sky or Virgin box if purchased to stream online or via the Box Office apps.
    Can I download and pay through the iOS or Android app?
    No, ALL payments and sign-ups to this Service can only take place through www.skysports.com/boxofficelive

Who is fighting?
    Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor
    12 Rounds Super-Welterweight
    Gevonta Davis v Roman Martinez
    IBF Super-Featherweight Title
    Nathan Cleverly v Badou Jack
    WBA Light-Heavyweight Title
    Andrew Tabiti v Steve Cunningham
    12 Rounds Commonwealth Heavyweight Title
    Shawn Porter v Thomas Dulorme
    10 Rounds Welterweight

By buying the fight through www.skysports.com/boxofficelive does that automatically allow me to watch it on my Sky or Virgin box?
    No, the two platforms aren't connected. If you want to watch it through your Sky TV or cable provider, you'll need to book via https://my.sky.com/orderboxoffice/ and then watch through Sky TV or Virgin.

I've already bought the fight to watch on Sky TV / Virgin box - can I switch my payment to watch on skysports.com, from my NOW TV box or through the Sky Sports Box Office app for iOS/Android?
    No, you'll need to sign up and purchase the event separately.

I need help - how can I contact customer support?
    ALL support and help requests should be sent to our dedicated Mayweather v McGregor Customer Support team
    E-mail:skyboxofficesupport@neulion.com
    During the event, Live Chat is available so you can speak to a representative once signed in to your Sky Sports Box Office account accessed via www.skysports.com/boxofficelive

Note: The Sky Contact Centre Customer Service staff are unable to support and resolve technical issues with online streaming of the Sky Sports Box Office app - all queries about this service must use the Live Chat or e-mail skyboxofficesupport@neulion.com

I'm receiving a poor experience while watching the event - e.g. buffering / freezing etc. What should I do?
    Contact our dedicated Mayweather v McGregor Digital Customer Support team through our Live Chat function once signed in to your Sky Sports Box Office account or e-mail skyboxofficesupport@neulion.com

Who can sign up?
    Anyone aged 18 or over living in the UK (including the Isle of Man and Channel Islands) and Republic of Ireland.

What country do I need to be in to access the fight?
    This fight is only available to residents of either the UK or Republic of Ireland.

Do I need to be a Sky or Virgin subscriber to view this fight?
    No, anyone can watch this fight, providing they live in the UK or Republic of Ireland.

Can I access this from my NOW TV which is built into my LG television?
    No, it's available in the App store on the NOW TV box (download 'Sky Sports Box Office') not through the NOW TV app.

If I buy the fight to watch via my PC/laptop/MAC, could I then chose to watch it via my NOW TV box or through the iOS or Android app?
    Yes, absolutely. You can use the same login details to access the fight through the Sky Sports Box Office app on NOW TV or through the iOS and Android app. Please note that you can only view via one platform (i.e. website or NOW TV or iOS or Android app) at a time - you won't be able to watch in parallel.

Can I use my Sky iD to login and view?
    No, this service does not form part of the online services offered under Sky iD.

The fight is postponed after I've bought a subscription - what happens?
    A full refund will be issued.

I've bought the fight and now changed my mind - what can I do?
    Please contact skyboxofficesupport@neulion.com

How much does it cost?
    UK - £19.95
    Republic of Ireland - €24.95

How will payment appear on my credit card statement?
    "Sky Box Office"

Will I be able to watch back the fight after the event?
    Video on demand of the full evening's card will be available for up to 7 days after the event.

Up to what date and time will I be able to buy the fight?
    Once the event has ended on Saturday evening, customers can no longer purchase the event.

What are the technical requirements?
    The fight is available for viewing on your PC/Desktop/MAC, NOW TV Box, iOS and Android devices.

PC/laptop/MAC minimum requirements

A broadband internet connection (DSL/cable or higher) of 800 kbps or higher is needed. If you have an internet connection speed of 3 Mbps or higher and your computer meets the requirements below, you will be able to stream at the highest video quality.
    Minimum Windows Requirements

Pentium 4 2.4GHz or higher or equivalent AMD processor with a minimum of 1GB of memory

Microsoft Edge (Windows 10)
    Internet Explorer (11+ on Windows 8.1+)
    Firefox 47+ or later
    Chrome 35+ or later
    Adobe Flash Player 11.0 or later: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
    Video adapter and monitor: 1280x800 resolution or higher, hardware acceleration-capable graphics card
    Minimum Mac Requirements

Intel Core Duo 1.5GHz with a minimum of 1GB memory

Mac OS X 10.12 or later
    Adobe Flash Player 11.0 or later: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
    Chrome 35+ or later
    Safari (8+ on OS X)
    Video adapter and monitor: 1280x800 resolution or higher, hardware acceleration-capable graphics card
    Please note the Firefox browser is NOT supported for this event on MAC
    https://browsehappy.com/

NOW TV requirements

Minimum requirements: 2.5Mpbs broadband download speed. You will need to download the Sky Sports Box Office app from the Roku Store on your NOW TV Box in order to access the Service. Details on how to set up your box can be accessed here:
    http://help.nowtv.com/article/How-do-I-set-up-my-NOW-TV-Box

How do I download the Sky Sports Box Office app to my NOW TV box?

From your NOW TV Box home screen:

Scroll to App store and select OK on your NOW TV remote.

Browse the list of available apps, and select Sky Sports Box Office.
    Select Add app to download. Once the app has downloaded, you can find it by selecting My apps in your home screen.

How do I download the Sky Sports Box Office app to my mobile/tablet device?

iOS (ver 1.5)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sky-sports-box-office/id1183717339?mt=8
    Requires 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPad.

Android (ver 1.5)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.boxoffice&hl=en_GB
    Android 4.4 (Kitkat). Compatible with Android Phone and Android Tablet.

Please ensure you are running the most up-to-date version of the app for the best experience.

Some good options here from browser, android / IOS Apps and Virgin box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Heres a question now

Can I order this on a box and bring the box somewhere else to watch it? I presume I can!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

What time is the main event expected to start? I'm not one for boxing so don't really know how undercards/prelims work.

What time is the main event expected to start? I'm not one for boxing so don't really know how undercards/prelims work.

I think there are three fights before the main fight.....I'd say between 0500 and 0600 you will see the main event....

Las Vegas 8 hours behind Ireland. I don't think 0400 is a runner for the main event.

Estimated Start Time Fight
    6:05 PM Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham
    6:35 PM Nathan Cleverly vs Badou Jack
    7:20 PM Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca
    7:55 PM Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think there are three fights before the main fight.....I'd say between 0500 and 0600 you will see the main event....

Las Vegas 8 hours behind Ireland. I don't think 0400 is a runner for the main event.

Estimated Start Time Fight
    6:05 PM Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham
    6:35 PM Nathan Cleverly vs Badou Jack
    7:20 PM Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca
    7:55 PM Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

Grim :( Vegas is 9 hours behind me :(

Maybe instead of staying awake I'll just get an early night before and get up

• Advertisement

Getting up at 5am would be plenty, I'd guess. I'll get to see the Davis/Fonseca fight, as well as the main event.

It's not like either of Big Dawgs have a history of punctuality.

I think I'll do an alarm set....these Vegas cards I can't do anymore. They ruin your whole Sunday...

I think I'll do an alarm set....these Vegas cards I can't do anymore. They ruin your whole Sunday...

Yeah, as much as I want to meet with the lads for cans and watch the fight, most of my mates are idiots and would have run well out of cans by 2am.

Up early, eat me Rice Krispies, and watch Floyd get the head pucked of him, that's my plan.

Up early, eat me Rice Krispies, and watch Floyd get the head pucked of him, that's my plan.

And then it all comes crashing down! ;)

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yes they should, the agreement on 8oz gloves won't help their case either if something goes wrong

This line of thinking is extremely insulting to all mixed martial artists and all boxers.

The idea that Conor has more chance of suffering a traumatic brain injury in boxing is as stupid as saying Floyd has more chance of suffering one in MMA. Both sports are inherently violent, dangerous and carry risks of injury REGARDLESS of skill level.

Michael Watson was clearly ahead on points against Chris Eubank when he dropped him in the 11th with that peach of a right hand. Chris then showed tremendous heart to get up to his feet and land that uppercut which caused the subdural haemmorhage.

The logic that someone stands more risk of being injured due to a skill disparity (and thereby being hit more) bears no basis in fact. Subdural and subarachnoid haemmarohages are responsible for over 95% of the deaths and brain injuries in boxing and MMA and they can happen to fighters who are easily winning the fights or losing the fight at the time.

It's crazy condescension talk from old school boxing heads. The bottom line is Nate landed 236 strikes on Conor over 2 contests including elbows to the head. Just because he's extremely talented in MMA will not save him from a traumatic injury, likewise Floyd in boxing.

There's a tremendous amount of bad luck involved for a professional fighter to be hit in the head in a particular spot that causes a blood vessel to rupture and swell. For Conor and Floyd they could take 3,000 shots to the dome in their life and be grand, for someone else that's unlucky the first shot they take could do life-changing damage.

Bottom line, whether it's MMA, boxing, kickboxing all these guys carry risks into battle, regardless of skill level. We have to trust Robert Byrd, John Kavanagh and Floyd Mayweather Sr. to do the right thing if the contest is a one-sided rout in either direction.

This is fantastic stuff, Luke Thomas put together a great package of fighters discussing techniques for the fight. Dan Hardy, Brandon Gibson, Paul Felder from the MMA side, Lamont Peterson and others from boxing side.

This line of thinking is extremely insulting to all mixed martial artists and all boxers.

The idea that Conor has more chance of suffering a traumatic brain injury in boxing is as stupid as saying Floyd has more chance of suffering one in MMA. Both sports are inherently violent, dangerous and carry risks of injury REGARDLESS of skill level.

Michael Watson was clearly ahead on points against Chris Eubank when he dropped him in the 11th with that peach of a right hand. Chris then showed tremendous heart to get up to his feet and land that uppercut which caused the subdural haemmorhage.

The logic that someone stands more risk of being injured due to a skill disparity (and thereby being hit more) bears no basis in fact. Subdural and subarachnoid haemmarohages are responsible for over 95% of the deaths and brain injuries in boxing and MMA and they can happen to fighters who are easily winning the fights or losing the fight at the time.

It's crazy condescension talk from old school boxing heads. The bottom line is Nate landed 236 strikes on Conor over 2 contests including elbows to the head. Just because he's extremely talented in MMA will not save him from a traumatic injury, likewise Floyd in boxing.

There's a tremendous amount of bad luck involved for a professional fighter to be hit in the head in a particular spot that causes a blood vessel to rupture and swell. For Conor and Floyd they could take 3,000 shots to the dome in their life and be grand, for someone else that's unlucky the first shot they take could do life-changing damage.

Bottom line, whether it's MMA, boxing, kickboxing all these guys carry risks into battle, regardless of skill level. We have to trust Robert Byrd, John Kavanagh and Floyd Mayweather Sr. to do the right thing if the contest is a one-sided rout in either direction.

You're kinda overcomplicating it a tad there. The point is, if McGregor gets badly hurt, all eyes will be on the decision to give this fight the green light. He has zero professional or amateur fights.

Just like if CM Punk had been badly hurt, it would look terrible for the organization sanctioning that fight.

You're kinda overcomplicating it a tad there. The point is, if McGregor gets badly hurt, all eyes will be on the decision to give this fight the green light. He has zero professional or amateur fights.

Just like if CM Punk had been badly hurt, it would look terrible for the organization sanctioning that fight.

Yes but the logic that a huge gap in skills makes a fighter more likely to suffer a traumatic injury has no basis in fact. It's fair to say that *most* of the traumatic brain injuries suffered by boxers and mixed martial artists were actually when the skill levels were very similar in a tough contest.

CM Punk is a great example to be fair. He was little more than a day 1 novice going in against a genuine prospect and the biggest injury he suffered was to his ego.

Conversely, you can have guys like Michael Watson at the peak of his powers, probably top 3 super-middleweight in the world, dominating a supremely gifted opponent and one punch changed the course of his life.

You're right, if something bad happens to Conor people will want to blame someone and that someone will be the NSAC but if something terrible happens to Floyd, then who do you blame? He's been fighting in 8oz gloves his entire life.

That's not the point I'm making though. Simply that if Conor is badly hurt, NSAC are gonna look like absolute idiots. They had no grounds to OK this fight, none but $$$$$$$

We all know neither of them is going to be hurt. It's most likely gonna be scripted from start to finish. But if something bad happened to McGregor, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Leaving it fairly late to have it up here. Fingers crossed they do!
    Live now for buying. Took their time

https://skyboxoffice.neulion.com/video/mayweather-v-mcgregor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement