Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

That's not the point I'm making though. Simply that if Conor is badly hurt, NSAC are gonna look like absolute idiots. They had no grounds to OK this fight, none but $$$$$$$

We all know neither of them is going to be hurt. It's most likely gonna be scripted from start to finish. But if something bad happened to McGregor, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Oh no he didn't. Please, no! I thought all these people were done away with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

That's not the point I'm making though. Simply that if Conor is badly hurt, NSAC are gonna look like absolute idiots. They had no grounds to OK this fight, none but $$$$$$$

This is true, if Conor gets badly hurt, the NSAC will get slaughtered, especially with the 8oz glove special exemption.
    We all know neither of them is going to be hurt. It's most likely gonna be scripted from start to finish.

Utter tosh.
    But if something bad happened to McGregor, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Similarly, if Floyd gets badly hurt, people will point to the exemption for the gloves. Yes, Floyd has used 8oz in most of his fights, but this is a once off rule at this weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It's most likely gonna be scripted from start to finish.

This talking point is sort of funny.

You know nothing about Conor McGregor if you think he's going to take part in any scripted contest. He's going to go in there and try take Floyd's head off his shoulders.

Obviously there's prison sentences possible if there's anything below board about this fight. American bookies are saying this fight could come close to beating the amount wagered on Superbowl 50 which stood at over $100 million in Nevada alone. If there's even a hint that either Conor or Floyd colluded to script an outcome they will be spending most of the rest of the decade in jail.

People saying things like "scripted", "rigged", "scam", "farce", "work" etc have no idea of the ramifications of them doing it and getting caught and it's pretty disrespectful to both men that they'd even want to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah fair enough(ye getting upset about me suggesting it might be in any way scripted), but I really wouldn't rule it out. Everyone knows this fight is simply about the money. No belts. Sure Floyd is putting his "reputation" on the line. I dunno, it's just a farce IMO and he dances around McGregor at will and picks him off, if he wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

We all know neither of them is going to be hurt. It's most likely gonna be scripted from start to finish. But if something bad happened to McGregor, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Oh the NSAC are absolutely fcked of anything happens to McGregor. They didn't just okay the fight, They allowed 8oz gloves. They would be sued by UFC and by the McGregor family for everything they have.

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough(ye getting upset about me suggesting it might be in any way scripted), but I really wouldn't rule it out. Everyone knows this fight is simply about the money. No belts. Sure Floyd is putting his "reputation" on the line. I dunno, it's just a farce IMO and he dances around McGregor at will and picks him off, if he wants to.

Well no ****. Everything about this fight has been money. Money Mayweather and Money McG.

But knock that scripted **** off.

If you think there is no chance at all that there have been private discussions between McGregor and Mayweather on how this "fight" is going to go down, then you're much more trusting of people than me.

But even if they aren't discussing it, I still can't see McGregor getting near him. Anyways, I'll leave ye back to it. Just wanted to share my dream and concerns for Conor :pac:

If you think there is no chance at all that there have been private discussions between McGregor and Mayweather on how this "fight" is going to go down, then you're much more trusting of people than me.

But even if they aren't discussing it, I still can't see McGregor getting near him. Anyways, I'll leave ye back to it. Just wanted to share my dream and concerns for Conor :pac:

I'm pure cynic.

But a win for either man is worth more to them than a potential rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

I think you completely missed the point of my post.

For most of Floyd's 47 victims, especially the last 15, fighting Floyd was the pinnacle. It was a massive step-up in terms of the stage, the finances surrounding the fight and pressure. Where Conor has an advantage over the likes of Maidana, Berto, Canelo isn't anything to do with skill or technique... it's that he has headlined massive cards and fought under a similar intensity of pressure.

Finances bring pressure with them. When people have paid $17.7 million to fill Madison Square Garden to watch you fight, there's an inherent pressure to deliver a good performance. When there's 1.6 million people watching your fight on PPV there's a pressure to deliver for those people who spent their $60.

That's *all* I was saying and you replied to points I didn't make.

Conor is used to the enormity of the occasion. Most of Floyd's opponents were not and a couple said afterwards that the occasion overwhelmed them; that they'd be in the middle of the ring with him making them miss and they'd feel flustered, embarrassed and agitated. I feel confident Conor will handle the pressure and the occasion. Floyd could still very well KO Conor with the first punch he throws! It's a fight and anything can happen but I don't feel the occasion will overwhelm either man.

That's my point.
    So you think Conor has more wherewithal than manny Pacino , Oscar de la hoy or juan manuel Marquez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

People saying things like "scripted", "rigged", "scam", "farce", "work" etc have no idea of the ramifications of them doing it and getting caught and it's pretty disrespectful to both men that they'd even want to do it.

Y'know when you're about ten or eleven, & you find out that the WWF (showing my age here!) is all staged and scripted, and you lose interest in it rapidly...some people kept watching it, & it's likely that brigade who tout the 'scripted' line for this fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Oh the NSAC are absolutely fcked of anything happens to McGregor. They didn't just okay the fight, They allowed 8oz gloves. They would be sued by UFC and by the McGregor family for everything they have.

If connor gets hurt in a boxing ring.. it's not going to be by Floyd.

So you're suggesting the judges were corrupt and gave the decision to Conor because he makes the UFC money?

Oh that would never happen, it not about money it's about sport

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think that's what he he suggesting.
    I'd guess he doesn't understand how fightsvare scores, be who scores the fights - or just spouting nonsense the doesn't even believe.

I have only been following and participating in boxing for 40 years
    What eould I know

Inviere wrote: »
    Y'know when you're about ten or eleven, & you find out that the WWF (showing my age here!) is all staged and scripted, and you lose interest in it rapidly...some people kept watching it, & it's likely that brigade who tout the 'scripted' line for this fight.

And ya know those people who wondered who'd win in a fight between Optimus Prime and Kit from Knightrider? Those are the likely brigade who are thinking it's 100% guaranteed legit.

section4 wrote: »
    Conor said he would ko Diaz in 2, he was wrong
    And if Conor wasn't such a cash cow for ufc he prob
    Wouldn't have got the decision in the second fight

Watch the fight again, it's one of the clearest 3-2's you're ever likely to see, that is, if you watch it without bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And ya know those people who wondered who'd win in a fight between Optimus Prime and Kit from Knightrider? Those are the likely brigade who are thinking it's 100% guaranteed legit.

No?:confused:

Well those, and people with half a brain I suppose

:pac: I'm just amazed ye can pre-analyse this fight so much. It's a complete farce. But ya, I'll bow out now. I reckon the Hoff woulda swung it for Kit.

:pac: I'm just amazed ye can pre-analyse this fight so much. It's a complete farce. But ya, I'll bow out now. I reckon the Hoff woulda swung it for Kit.

Bye :)

Im always interested to hear the reasoning from people who say Conor got the nod because it was in the UFC'S interests. If someone comes out with a statement like that then it needs to be backed up.

I don't know how long you have been interested in sport
    But I have been watching boxing for forty years
    Have you never heard of a hometown decision ever
    Have you ever heard the saying I was robbed
    These are typical reaction when some one thinks they won a fight
    But didn't get he decision
    Do you remember conk an in the olympics

The Diaz 2 fight was a close fight that could have went anyway
    But when it's a choice between a cash cow who can generate millions
    And a good pro who doesn't make the same money
    The promoter is only going one way
    Whether ira Micky duff frank warren or the ufc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Obviously there's prison sentences possible if there's anything below board about this fight. American bookies are saying this fight could come close to beating the amount wagered on Superbowl 50 which stood at over $100 million in Nevada alone. If there's even a hint that either Conor or Floyd colluded to script an outcome they will be spending most of the rest of the decade in jail.

Yes, forget proving it and going to trial and all that. Just a whiff and it's lock em up, throw away the keys. Hilarious....

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Section4's first ever post on boards about MMA was to claim the McGregor v Mendes fight was a fix. I think that's all we need to know about him. A quick glance through his post history will show his anti McGregor bias very clearly. Pro boxing + anti McGregor equals not ugh common sense or balanced opinion is to be expected from his posts between now and fight night.

Can you show me where I said the words It was a fix

That would mean Mendez was paid to lose , that's a criminal offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't know how long you have been interested in sport
    But I have been watching boxing for forty years
    Have you never heard of a hometown decision ever
    Have you ever heard the saying I was robbed
    These are typical reaction when some one thinks they won a fight
    But didn't get he decision
    Do you remember conk an in the olympics

The Diaz 2 fight was a close fight that could have went anyway
    But when it's a choice between a cash cow who can generate millions
    And a good pro who doesn't make the same money
    The promoter is only going one way
    Whether ira Micky duff frank warren or the ufc

The judges aren't anything to do with the UFC they are employed by the state athletic commission.

Can you show me where I said the words It was a fix

That would mean Mendez was paid to lose , that's a criminal offence

Try here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96208538

And again here after Diaz 2 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101649765

Everyone knows this fight is simply about the money. No belts.

What was on the line other than money when Conor rematched Nate?

Did it look like either man was amenable to "staging" that fight? After all, a Conor win to set up a trilogy would have been a really good idea. Instead, they put on an absolute war.

You're talking nonsense.
    walshb wrote: »
    Yes, forget proving it and going to trial and all that. Just a whiff and it's lock em up, throw away the keys. Hilarious....

What's hilarious is you thinking there's no repercussions in sport for fixing sporting events where people gamble on them. Pick any sport you want and I'll link you to jail sentences for match-fixing.

Honestly, it boggles my mind the attitudes of some people in here and, yes, it does smack of getting excuses ready if Conor wins. The more you lambast the fight as a mockery, the easier it is to excuse a Floyd loss with some batsh1t crazy conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What's hilarious is you thinking there's no repercussions in sport for fixing sporting events where people gamble on them. Pick any sport you want and I'll link you to jail sentences for match-fixing.

Honestly, it boggles my mind the attitudes of some people in here and, yes, it does smack of getting excuses ready if Conor wins. The more you lambast the fight as a mockery, the easier it is to excuse a Floyd loss with some batsh1t crazy conspiracy theory.

We all know that fixing sporting contests can see you face justice....

Your complete denial that it could not be even a possibility here is hilarious..

Anyway, the irony here is that the event itself is a "fix" to begin with.

My tag line stands. The con is on....

Oh, and even with a fix, Floyd still can't lose this...

You could have Conor Junior and Dee judging and Floyd would still win on points...

What was on the line other than money when Conor rematched Nate?

Did it look like either man was amenable to "staging" that fight? After all, a Conor win to set up a trilogy would have been a really good idea. Instead, they put on an absolute war.

You're talking nonsense.

Comparing any UFC fight, except for say CM Punk or the Brock Steroid, to this "fight" is essentially talking nonsense.

So, carry on. Speaking of nonsense..... Christ dude, take a step back. Even McGregor's corner team haven't analysed this "fight" as much as you.

The more I watch and listen to the likes of Robin Black, Dan Hardy Dominic Cruz, the more my heart keeps convincing my head that Conor has a real chance. I know they are all MMA guys but when they talk about the forgotten/neglected realms of boxing that they believe Conor will try to exploit I just can't help but think 'what if'.

Coupled with the believe of Conor,John, Eoin,the while McGregor team. They just instill a belief in you that the supposed 'impossible' can and will happen.

Robin Black's latest breakdown is excellent to listen to. He rambles a bit but he makes some fascinating points about disruption and he has seen the footage of the spar against Paulie that Showtime chose not to air. He talks a lot about McGregor coming from distances and angles that Floyd is not familiar with. Distances that a boxer feels safe at and is resetting (two steps out as its called) and how Conor was tagging Paulie from here constantly,and roughing him up and wearing on him in the clinch. Dan Hardy talks about something similar. So fascinating and exciting to see how it works out on fight night.

At this rate come Saturday night I'll be all in, 100% on a McGregor KO.

MMA striking isn't just punching.

The evolution from the days of Don Frye to now is massive. Cain Velasquez spinning back-kicked Travis Browne in the head at UFC 200. That sums up the evolution pretty neatly in one movement.

As for the technical striking with the hands, the biggest problem with MMA fighters is they lack a solid jab but there's pretty good reasons why fighting behind a solid jab in MMA isn't always a good idea.

Honestly I couldn't disagree more. I think the overall level of striking in MMA is worlds apart from the old-school era.

A lot of people would agree with you, it's been Conor himself pushing the MMA vs Boxing angle lately, saying he's doing this for the sport. He said Floyd came on his radar when he spoke so dismissively about the sport of MMA and he was determined to one day fight him and make him pay for it.

Good post, just cut it short to reply:

The biggest difference between Conor and every other opponent of Floyd's is something that Luke Thomas, Dan Hardy and Brad Pickett illustrated very well.

To use Brad's words: "If they were fighting over a pig on the street, Conor would be the one eating a ham sandwich".

For decades, boxers were the toughest guys in every village, town and city and when MMA came along that slowly changed. Nowadays, people view Mixed Martial Artists as the real toughest guys.

This will be Floyd's first opponent where he walks into a room with them and knows he isn't the toughest guy. It'll be his first opponent where if he walked up a dark alley without his bodyguards, and neither had weapons, Conor would kill him.

People say "well that means nothing because it's a boxing match under boxing rules" and they're right but they're also wrong in the sense it's not meaningless. It's the first time for Floyd to have to fight someone when he's not the 'tough guy' in the equation and the psychologist David Mullins said that will have some 'effect', positive or negative, on Floyd. Granted, Mullins works with SBG, but he said it from a psychology point of view.

Granted we only got 10 seconds but when Joe Cortez separated them, Conor dropped into an almost identical MMA stance. I see TheWeasle on youtube did a good analysis of it.

Conor adopted his usual wide stance and, more importantly, his usual kicking range. Part of the reason that left-hand down the pipe landed so cleanly on Paulie was because it was thrown from a distance Paulie is not used to seeing punches coming from.

Conor's feet aren't even in the camera shot from the distance he throws the punch from. Boxers are simply not used to shots coming from so far back and Conor closes distance very impressively.

The argument that Floyd will see it coming a mile-off and slip isn't as easy as it sounds. The downside of having 36 years boxing experience is you've seen shots coming at you from the same distance for 36 years and your fluid reactions are based off that distance.

Floyd looks like Neo in the Matrix at times slipping shots but that's not *just* reflexes - it's also years of repetition and muscle memory of slipping shots thrown in a certain way.

I think Conor is going to land cleanly and often in the early rounds, certainly winning 2 maybe 3 of the first 4 rounds. Floyd might adjust to it but he might be KO'd before he gets the chance. We'll see.

Well, go tell that to Dana White. They hardly registered Zuffa Boxing as a subsidiary/extension of the UFC for the craic.

If Conor wins, we're highly likely to see more of these crossovers in the future.

As for what it says about MMA vs Boxing - in the minds of the general public this is *all* about MMA vs Boxing. It's about which sport has the better fighters. It will do wonders to the popularity of MMA and the UFC if Conor wins and will 100% be a bitter pill for boxing to swallow.

That post shows how much you know about fighting
    The toughest guys in any village don't have to be mma boxing or anything
    It's about the individual and will to win
    No matter what sport, fighting in the street is not about
    Ufc boxing wrestling or anything, it's real fighting
    No rules no timing , biting gouging grabbing anything butting
    The toughest guy in the village might never have participated in any combat
    Until he is stirred .

• Advertisement

Spine tingling work by the UFC promo wise, overlaying Conor's tweets with his performances.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/899662396481953793

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement