Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

section4 wrote: »
    That post shows how much you know about fighting
    The toughest guys in any village don't have to be mma boxing or anything
    It's about the individual and will to win
    No matter what sport, fighting in the street is not about
    Ufc boxing wrestling or anything, it's real fighting
    No rules no timing , biting gouging grabbing anything butting
    The toughest guy in the village might never have participated in any combat
    Until he is stirred .

The toughest guy in the village still gets starched by a guy with solid BJJ/MMA. Even with biting, timing, gouging, bottle, pool qeue, whatever, as long as it's an actual fight and not a cheap shot before one party knows about it.

The fundamentals of fighting don't change in a whether it's a street fight, a boxing match or an MMA bout. Hit the other guy, don't get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

You're sounding like you boxed for many years and are a bit defensive about the sweet science :)

I don't mean to sound dismissive but everyone knows that boxers are very limited in the weapons they can use in unarmed combat. They're very proficient with their hands but that's literally it! They don't know how to defend themselves or attack when the fight hits the ground, they don't know how to attack or defend kicks, knees, elbows...

An elite boxer doesn't last a minute against a top 2,000 MMA fighter in a "true fight". That's nothing against boxing it's just stating the obvious.

Conor keeps repeating this to Floyd for a reason.
    You haven't got a clue about fighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

walshb wrote: »
    We all know that fixing sporting contests can see you face justice....

Your complete denial that it could not be even a possibility here is hilarious..

Anyway, the irony here is that the event itself is a "fix" to begin with.

My tag line stands. The con is on....

Oh, and even with a fix, Floyd still can't lose this...

You could have Conor Junior and Dee judging and Floyd would still win on points...

Talk about jumping the shark...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Production quality alone, that pisses all over the Showtime stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads enough of the nonsense, some of the stuff being posted is ridiculous - give it a rest

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    The judges aren't anything to do with the UFC they are employed by the state athletic commission.

Oh I didn't know that

Please, are you that naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Spine tingling work by the UFC promo wise, overlaying Conor's tweets with his performances.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/899662396481953793

Notably left 196 out of that promo. Not sure I'd go with "spine tingling" to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Ladies, ladies please. Let's get back to the subject.

Genuine 2 part question for the MMA fans.

(A) What do you think will be McGregor's next move after Aug 26th. Will he retire from combat sports, make a return to the UFC or fight again in Boxing

(B) Do you think the result of this fight, will influence what he will do next (If he were to win would he be more likely to keep boxing rather than return to MMA)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

(A) What do you think will be McGregor's next move after Aug 26th. Will he retire from combat sports, make a return to the UFC or fight again in Boxing

(B) Do you think the result of this fight, will influence what he will do next (If he were to win would he be more likely to keep boxing rather than return to MMA)

I reckon either way, he goes back to the UFC.

My guess would be 155 belt defense.

If he wins, everyone in the boxing world will be calling him out, just like everyone in the MMA world has his name on their lips.

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »

That's exactly what I said fixed, do you know what that means in professional boxing, it does not mean paying a guy to lose that's illegal.

In professional boxing what you do is make a match where you know who is going to win, based on the balance of probabilities you don't have to pay him to lose.

You simply make a match based on what you know of a fighters current condition , recent behaviour, state of mind, ambition age etc etc, a lot of this information won't be know to the general public because it only people in the trade that will be aware of it.

So you get a guy like frank Bruno, you try to get him a world title , he can't win one, has lost to witherspoon and Tyson, you have the means to entice a guy like
    ................Oliver mc call . With Bruno , Bruno wins a world title in a fight where they knew b forehand the guy wasn't really in a proper mental state to win the fight, that in my opinion was a fixed fight, although maybe the way I should have put it was a fight designed in such a way as to try to ensure one particular winner.

You don't have to pay the guy, just pick someone who you know won't win using your expertise and knowledge of the game.

Then if it's a close fight make sure you have treated the judges nicely.

It's been happening for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

(A) I think his next move (assuming he loses) is defending the UFC lightweight title. He has said he wants to fight on the 30th Dec card but there is an interim lightweight title fight in October so I'm not sure how that would gel.

(B) Yeah kinda. If he wins, Floyd rematch happens immediately and that's his next fight. If he loses but looks ok and isn't embarrassed, I could see him returning to MMA but a fight with Paully happens within 18 months. If he loses badly, he's going to finish his boxing career with an 0-1 boxing record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

If he wins he will retire I'd say after 2/3 more mma fights
    Lose and he will call it a day right there and then

Could never see him staying as a boxer. This is a complete one off imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Japan beat South Africa in the last rugby World Cup...

Just sayin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

I should hope we're all MMA fans here in some form or another, given this is the MMA forum. It's nice to think that anyone posting here, whether a total noob to MMA, or with years of practical experience, is interested in MMA, and not just posting here to get reactions out of the forums members.

An interesting question. You have to look backward to see forwards with Conor I believe. He has done nothing but move forward since joining the UFC, raising the bar, raising the stakes, and raising his profile after each and every match. If retirement isn't on the cards yet, then you have to look at how he can possibly raise the bar further. There's many calls for him to defend his belt, but in my opinion, I'd speculate that simply defending a belt isn't enough, or doesn't appeal to Conor unless it's some kind of megafight.

He will, ultimately, have to defend the LW belt if he wants to retain it, so I'd guess we'll see the beginning of a war of words between himself and Khabib, to turn that into some kind of superfight. Failing that, he might fancy a crack at Woodley, and take us all by surprise. He's like that. That'd certainly fit the profile of game raising bouts we've seen him craft. So yeah, in the order of probability, I'd go Khabib, Diaz 3, Woodley, Retirement.

I for one don't see Conor sticking to boxing, first and foremost. The stars have aligned here for Conor, he gets to take on one of the greatest of all time, someone who's unbeaten, someone who's profile is massive, and someone who is getting on in years (while still being HUGELY competitive, would likely not be at the very top if still in the game). There's everything to gain here, and very little to lose. After Floyd, win or lose, I'd be shocked to see Conor in a boxing ring again.

As for whether it influences what he does next, perhaps, though I doubt it. If he wins, I see him going back to the octagon, and taking on Khabib, Woodley, or some other superfight. I think his days of fighting anyone but the very best, are over. If he loses, I doubt he'll want to bow out of competitive fighting on that note, so either way, I can see him going back and getting on with things in the UFC.

I reckon either way, he goes back to the UFC.

That would be my thinking as well. But it would make sense for him to sit down with the UFC and renegotiate the contract. Figure out a way he can get a better deal for the 3/4 fights left on his current deal. Didn't he speak about possibly getting part ownership or something like that after the Alvarez fight.?

My guess would be 155 belt defense.

If he wins, everyone in the boxing world will be calling him out, just like everyone in the MMA world has his name on their lips.

The winner for Ferguson/Khabib? Yeah that would make sense if he were to lose on Saturday, and wants to keep fighting. But if he were to win, It would be very tempting to take another very lucrative boxing fight. He could pick his opponent and would be without doubt the A side

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    (A) I think his next move (assuming he loses) is defending the UFC lightweight title. He has said he wants to fight on the 30th Dec card but there is an interim lightweight title fight in October so I'm not sure how that would gel.

(B) Yeah kinda. If he wins, Floyd rematch happens immediately and that's his next fight. If he loses but looks ok and isn't embarrassed, I could see him returning to MMA but a fight with Paully happens within 18 months. If he loses badly, he's going to finish his boxing career with an 0-1 boxing record.

A rematch with Mayeather? Obviously it makes financial sense but I seriously doubt Floyd would be up for another fight, He's made it fairly clear this is the last one.

I've still got hope for an Aldo McGregor 2, at 155.

There's as much chance of it as me fighting Mighty Mouse, but still, I can hope.

The winner for Ferguson/Khabib? Yeah that would make sense if he were to lose on Saturday, and wants to keep fighting. But if he were to win, It would be very tempting to take another very lucrative boxing fight. He could pick his opponent and would be without doubt the A side

It's not gonna happen, he won't be sticking around in boxing imo. This is only happening because it's Floyd Mayweather, an all time great. Nobody in boxing has the profile Floyd has, and this isn't meant to sound snobby, but I doubt Conor would enjoy fighting for very long with as strict a rule set as boxing has (ie, no kicks, ground game, etc).

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    The toughest guy in the village still gets starched by a guy with solid BJJ/MMA. Even with biting, timing, gouging, bottle, pool qeue, whatever, as long as it's an actual fight and not a cheap shot before one party knows about it.

The fundamentals of fighting don't change in a whether it's a street fight, a boxing match or an MMA bout. Hit the other guy, don't get hit.

No, you are wrong , I used to think that boxers were the toughest guys when I started , then I realised boxers are only a very small percentage of the population, a very very small percentage , a trained boxer or martial artist will have an advantage ,but then you could say an experienced street fighter will also have a few tricks up their sleeves, the will to win is most important
    Never ever judge a book by its cover and in my experience the toughest guy in any village is not necessary the boxer or the mma or wrestler.
    For example if it's a mma guy takes a guy down , the guy is a nutter who,loves fighting any which way he can the guy just simply bites a chunk out of the mma guys arm or leg and causes a serious blood loss and keeps on coming .
    Now the guy that's does the biting could also be a mma guy boxer or wrestler that's irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

A rematch with Mayeather? Obviously it makes financial sense but I seriously doubt Floyd would be up for another fight, He's made it fairly clear this is the last one.

If he loses his 0 I'd imagine Floyd would want to get back in there with him. He's clear its his last because he knows he's going to win, but if by some miracle Conor does it it could be the start of a trilogy :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

.ak wrote: »
    Japan beat South Africa in the last rugby World Cup...

Just sayin...

They were two rugby teams made up entirely of professionals.

Bit different.

They were two rugby teams made up entirely of professionals.

Bit different.

I think the point was, sometimes, mad stuff happens.

Inviere wrote: »
    I think the point was, sometimes, mad stuff happens.

“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
    But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”

― Terry Pratchett, Mort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Fogarty on the MMA hour right now. It's pretty cringe.

I should hope we're all MMA fans here in some form or another, given this is the MMA forum. It's nice to think that anyone posting here, whether a total noob to MMA, or with years of practical experience, is interested in MMA, and not just posting here to get reactions out of the forums members.
    Well personally I'd consider myself a casual MMA fan. I watch the main fight cards of the big UFC events.
    An interesting question. You have to look backward to see forwards with Conor I believe. He has done nothing but move forward since joining the UFC, raising the bar, raising the stakes, and raising his profile after each and every match. If retirement isn't on the cards yet, then you have to look at how he can possibly raise the bar further. There's many calls for him to defend his belt, but in my opinion, I'd speculate that simply defending a belt isn't enough, or doesn't appeal to Conor unless it's some kind of megafight.

He will, ultimately, have to defend the LW belt if he wants to retain it, so I'd guess we'll see the beginning of a war of words between himself and Khabib, to turn that into some kind of superfight. Failing that, he might fancy a crack at Woodley, and take us all by surprise. He's like that. That'd certainly fit the profile of game raising bouts we've seen him craft. So yeah, in the order of probability, I'd go Khabib, Diaz 3, Woodley, Retirement.
    What about the shyt Dana was talking about not putting Woodley on another PPV main event, because he's so boring? And surely the only possible mega fight in the UFC would be if GSP gets an impressive win over Bisping, Then they get Wittaker to step aside set up McGregor vs GSP?
    Would you consider another Diaz fight to be forward movement from McGregor? Seems like going backwards to me?.
    I for one don't see Conor sticking to boxing, first and foremost. The stars have aligned here for Conor, he gets to take on one of the greatest of all time, someone who's unbeaten, someone who's profile is massive, and someone who is getting on in years (while still being HUGELY competitive, would likely not be at the very top if still in the game). There's everything to gain here, and very little to lose. After Floyd, win or lose, I'd be shocked to see Conor in a boxing ring again.

As for whether it influences what he does next, perhaps, though I doubt it. If he wins, I see him going back to the octagon, and taking on Khabib, Woodley, or some other superfight. I think his days of fighting anyone but the very best, are over. If he loses, I doubt he'll want to bow out of competitive fighting on that note, so either way, I can see him going back and getting on with things in the UFC.

But say does win somehow on Saturday. Don't you think he would take a fight with Canelo or GGG? And even if he loses. Wouldn't a boxing fight with Paulie Malinaggi be more lucrative than most fights he could consivably set up next in an octogon?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

chupacabra wrote: »
    Fogarty on the MMA hour right now. It's pretty cringe.

Who?

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    If he loses his 0 I'd imagine Floyd would want to get back in there with him. He's clear its his last because he knows he's going to win, but if by some miracle Conor does it it could be the start of a trilogy :o

Well he could look at it and say 'Fck it the 0 is gone, might as well grab more money, But giving up the "A side" tag would be the hardest things for him. Ever since he took it off De La Hoya, He hasn't shut up about it. I really can't can't see him returning at second fiddle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement