Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,472 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Is there a betting thread for this fight?

+1 on that.

Also I'm watching a lot of youtube videos quoting odds of 100/1 PP is paying 10/1 on, where's the best odds for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Notably left 196 out of that promo. Not sure I'd go with "spine tingling" to be honest.

They also left out him tapping to Joe Duffy and Artemij Sitenkov...

Promoters tend to make promos of their fighters best bits, not their worst bits.
    .ak wrote: »
    Wow, really? Didn't know they could rule it as a no contest this far out.

John seemed quietly optimistic it'd get overturned, plus being realistic all Conor has to do is text Dana and tell him to overturn that sh1t and it'll be done lol.
    a) you've just trotted out an absolute bull**** line with no evidence to support it whatsoever. The"boxing is dead" line is laughable. Well done.

b) The money he would make against any of GGG/Canelo/Pacquiao, if he beats Floyd, would dwarf anything the UFC could pay him.

Hmmm.

Here's a breakdown of the reported net salaries of a few names in their last fights:

Floyd Mayweather - $32 million
    Anthony Joshua - $19.3 million
    Conor McGregor - $13.5 million
    Tyson Fury - $11 million
    Manny Pacquiao - $10 million
    Canelo Alvarez - $7 million
    GGG - $2.5 million
    Lomachenko - $1 million

I'll stick my neck on the line that if Conor wins this fight, his next UFC payday (inc. PPV) will be closer to $25 million, partly due to the likely insane 2 million+ PPV's it would sell.

You're 100% wrong if you think Conor makes more money boxing GGG than he does fighting GSP in the UFC. That's plenty of acronyms for one sentence but you're wrong either way. GGG is not a draw, the PPV would sell less than Conor v GSP and the money will be down.

Remember, both Manny and Canelo's last PPV appearances were crushed by all 4 of Conor's last UFC fights. Manny v Vargas tanked only doing 320,000 buys. Conor's lowest PPV in his last 4 fights was 1.3 million. I agree that Canelo has a big enough fanbase to make him a big fight and maybe Manny has enough reputation left....

But that's literally one opponent, two at best, that Conor can make more money with in boxing so the statement that there's "more money in boxing for Conor" is a flawed one. What people really mean by that is "the promoters take less of a cut in boxing".

Conor is criminally underpaid in the UFC, to get $13.5 million total for the Diaz 2 fight with it selling 1.6 million PPV's is crazy talk, he should have been getting $25 million. From the way Dana is talking, a lot is going to change with Conor's new contract so I'm very positive he'll end up signing a new deal and compete 3 times in the UFC in the next 12 months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Is there a betting thread for this fight?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130753&page=277

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'll stick my neck on the line that if Conor wins this fight, his next UFC payday (inc. PPV) will be closer to $25 million, partly due to the likely insane 2 million+ PPV's it would sell.

But that's literally one opponent, two at best, that Conor can make more money with in boxing so the statement that there's "more money in boxing for Conor" is a flawed one. What people really mean by that is "the promoters take less of a cut in boxing".

Conor is criminally underpaid in the UFC, to get $13.5 million total for the Diaz 2 fight with it selling 1.6 million PPV's is crazy talk, he should have been getting $25 million.

You realise that the promoters taking less of a cut directly equates to there being more money around? They're not mutually exclusive.

2 million buys for his next ppv? Based on what evidence? 205 was supposed to 2 million, was baked bye an insanely good undercard and had bucket loads of momentum after 202.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

a) you've just trotted out an absolute bull**** line with no evidence to support it whatsoever. The"boxing is dead" line is laughable. Well done.

b) The money he would make against any of GGG/Canelo/Pacquiao, if he beats Floyd, would dwarf anything the UFC could pay him.

Ouch, sorry, seemed I touched a nerve.

Point is, McGregor is not going to stick around boxing because despite what he says it's not his sport and he's not going to be the A side and make the money he's made from
    The Floyd fight.

Ouch, sorry, seemed I touched a nerve.

Point is, McGregor is not going to stick around boxing because despite what he says it's not his sport and he's not going to be the A side and make the money he's made from
    The Floyd fight.

Forget about Floyd money. Everyone agrees Floyd money doesn't happen again unless there's a rematch.

If he can make X fighting back in the UFC, or 2X in another boxing fight, do you really believe he'll go back to MMA?

It's all hypothetical, as I don't see him winning on Saturday, but if he did, I think he grabs the biggest slice of pie he can get as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's all hypothetical, as I don't see him winning on Saturday, but if he did, I think he grabs the biggest slice of pie he can get as quickly as possible.

Why grab a slice of pie, when you can hang in there & own the whole oven? Part ownership in the UFC is his goal, fighting in a boxing ring & distancing himself from MMA isn't going to help him with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If McGregor wins, the richest fight out there for him across both sports is the winner of GGG v Canelo. It's all highly, highly unlikely anyways.

Inviere wrote: »
    Why grab a slice of pie, when you can hang in there & own the whole oven? Part ownership in the UFC is his goal, fighting in a boxing ring & distancing himself from MMA isn't going to help him with that.

I don't get his part ownership angle. The purchase was funded by mountains of debt that has to be serviced. How profitable has three purchase been for them to date? Given some of the cards they've put out, they'll be doing very well to turn a profit at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't get his part ownership angle. The purchase was funded by mountains of debt that has to be serviced. How profitable has three purchase been for them to date? Given some of the cards they've put out, they'll be doing very well to turn a profit at all.

Doesn't change the fact that he's publicly said many times, that's what he wants. When he's done fighting, if anyone can raise the stock of the UFC brand, it's him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He seems more happy with the "McGregor sports and entertainment" logo than the 100m he's about to make.

He's next fight in mma will be promoted by The UFC in association with McGregor.

He tweeted back in 2013 that he'd have 2 blets and shares in the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was reading this thread while in bed last night on my phone. I obviously fell asleep and ended up dreaming about a Mcgregor win. 6th round by knockout. Going to put the loose change I have in my betfair account onto that outcome so. Bit of craic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Stupid damn Embedded sucking me back in....

Grrrr. So are many here actually gonna pay for it?

I'm swaying towards other methods right now. But seeing as I've never had to pay for a McG fight, part of me is tempted to throw €25 at his neverending money pot...

Damn this hype.

I'd pay it to see him proper rock Mayweather though. He losses this fight 999999 out of a million. Ugh I'm a sucker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm very tempted on paying the 25 quid for a hd stream of it. I have freeview channels but it looks like I can buy it and watch it solely online on the sky sports website so might do that. Also tempted to put a few quid on Conor getting the KO if there were good odds but any fighter I've ever bet on has lost so think I'll leave him be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

ASOT wrote: »

It's so surreal seeing Mayweather on a UFC Embedded, you can only imagine what the lads are feeling over in Vegas!

Floyd's entourage all look so awkward around him. Like they're paid to be his friends because he's such a deplorable human being but savage boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Ya it was pretty cringe seeing him slag yer man off about needing a sports bra. Please let him take a few really hard shots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    but any fighter I've ever bet on has lost so think I'll leave him be.

Stick a few Euro on Floyd so, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Boxing is dead. He won't make that money again bar a Floyd rematch.

So dead that he had to go to boxing to get crazy money...makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Boxing is dead. He won't make that money again bar a Floyd rematch.

I disagree.

UFC have their stars, as do boxing.

Mayweather and McGregor are the top earners for both.

I'd say that a decent boxing match would pull the same ratings as a decent UFC card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Im beginning to dislike Floyd immensely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

The argument I'd put forward about boxing is that the global stars tend to be from 10 years ago, whereas the current crop of mma fighters would be more recognisable globally. There aren't many global boxing stars right now.

ardinn wrote: »
    Im beginning to dislike Floyd immensely!

I know people here say Conor's friends are up his hole but when they're having the craic, at least it looks genuine. With Mayweather, it looks like everyone is laughing uncomfortably as their paycheque depends on it, very weird atmosphere. Even when he was with James Cordon and Cordon was joking around with him, Floyd seemed so fake in his laughing response, something very offputting about his personality (besides all the woman bating bit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I know people here say Conor's friends are up his hole but when they're having the craic, at least it looks genuine. With Mayweather, it looks like everyone is laughing uncomfortably as their paycheque depends on it, very weird atmosphere. Even when he was with James Cordon and Cordon was joking around with him, Floyd seemed so fake in his laughing response, something very offputting about his personality (besides all the woman bating bit).

The 'Money' thing bothers me. Even when he was on Jimmy Kimmel last week the first word he uttered was 'Money'.
    Conor is following suit too and that bothers me also. It's a real American thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Has anyone used the Sky Sports Box Office streaming before?

https://skyboxoffice.neulion.com/

I subscribe to an excellent streaming site myself but will have guests for this one so would rather just pay the €25 for it and then Chromecast it to the TV, but have no idea if it will even be any better than my usual site in terms of quality and reliability etc.

Internet connection is no problem, I'm running 100mb.

Paully D wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Sky Sports Box Office streaming before?

https://skyboxoffice.neulion.com/

I subscribe to an excellent streaming site myself but will have guests for this one so would rather just pay the €25 for it and then Chromecast it to the TV, but have no idea if it will even be any better than my usual site in terms of quality and reliability etc.

Internet connection is no problem, I'm running 100mb.

I was only shown that link yesterday by one of the lads who uses it, he said it's perfect. Last fight he watched on it was crystal clear even though he was just on a 3mb line. That's what I'm going to use if I decide to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Stupid damn Embedded sucking me back in....

Grrrr. So are many here actually gonna pay for it?

I'm swaying towards other methods right now. But seeing as I've never had to pay for a McG fight, part of me is tempted to throw €25 at his neverending money pot...

Damn this hype.

I'd pay it to see him proper rock Mayweather though. He losses this fight 999999 out of a million. Ugh I'm a sucker

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/a0/a056a6297b3ee2cb8687931a94ae82c2127c66c18ac13c283df9a80482396cdf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Paully D wrote:

You won't be able to cast the official sky box office stream. Only way to get it on your tv is a HDMI cable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather puts on an act, McGregor is just being himself. Floyd has been doing this for years, I've watched pretty much every 24/7 or All Access series he has made, And what I see is a very insecure person, who lacks some very basic social skills. I don't believe he has many genuine friends in this world, everyone around him is out for what they can get, they all have their hands in his pockets. If he lost all his money today, 90% of those people would be gone in the morning.

His reaction yesterday to Justin Beiber unfollowing him on Instagram was hilarious but also very sad and pathetic, for a 40 year old man to react to a celebrity in his 20's 'leaving him' says allot. He doesn't seem to realize that these people don't care about him, and when appearing with him is not advancing their careers, they will drop him like a hot potato.

McGregor has no use for toilet paper with the arse lickers in his camp, But even if he was to lose it all, you still feel he would hold on to this inner circle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

This channel has some great boxing compilations from some of the more action packed fights from over the years! Found it good to get me in the mood for this weekend! Other MMA centric fans might find it useful :)

Thats Vol.1 - Can find the rest from there.

This is a reel of KOs from this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement