Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

glucifer wrote: »
    Thanks,

I've messaged a couple but they are saying it's on too late and so won't be open. Might have to try other avenues

Infuze Bar, 2 Paseo Illetas Local 7, 07181 Palma, Balearic Islands.

+34971412163

Name, address, phone number of the bar I found in Mallorca showing the fight. I think they're charging 15 at the door, call them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Just booked it, #hypeVictim!

No mention of whether it is HD or not when booked through my sky online account. Maybe it gives ya access to either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If you got into boxing to want to be able to fight people then that's true . I suspect a lot got into it as a way of escaping poverty by becoming a professional sportsman though .

A lot of boxing people see people rolling around on the floor and make fun of it even though i assume its skilled . I doubt they care in the slightest that other people are better than them at that .

Dan Hardy is very hard to listen to by the way . Seems to the stereotype MMA guy obsessed by violence . Just my own opinion of course

I love this attitude from boxers, as though boxing isn't about 2 people hitting each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I feel dirty and disgusted with myself after watching tmz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Seems to the stereotype MMA guy obsessed by violence

What is it they do in boxing again?

• Advertisement

I'm starting to believe the ignorance in the boxing community goes right the way up to Floyd. Here he is insisting Conor is going to miss weight. I don't think he knows what he's dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I love this attitude from boxers, as though boxing isn't about 2 people hitting each other.

Read the boxing forum from the start and you will see how some people lived up to the stereotype . One highly popular poster on this thread came across as condoning a human form of cockfighting . The thirst for blood and violence is bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm starting to believe the ignorance in the boxing community goes right the way up to Floyd. Here he is insisting Conor is going to miss weight. I don't think he knows what he's dealing with.

I would be beyond shocked in Conor missed weight. I'd also be beyond shocked if Floyd was being serious and not trying to get a rise. It's all mind games now but as the old song says 'he can get in your head like he's Dr.Phil'

:pac::pac:

The thirst for blood and violence is bizarre

And yet you're passionate about boxing where 23 men have died in pro boxing since 1997 and that total doubles when you include all boxing bouts?

Your violence thirst is bizarre ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've said it before and I will say it again.

I sincerely hope our Floyd underestimates the **** out of McGregor..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And yet you're passionate about boxing where 23 men have died in pro boxing since 1997 and that total doubles when you include all boxing bouts?

Your violence thirst is bizarre ...

But yet it's mainly you talking about street fights and strangling and limb tearing.

I like MMA, but this talk is just the gutter IMO. And does nothing but damage MMA and its reputation

Boxing is an art form. Of course it is violent. It's inherently so.

I would say the exact same when I hear posters and boxers talking about smashing faces and breaking bones etc. It's scum talk...and only appeals to the mob. Inciting the violent side of it too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

Paully D wrote: »
    From the site. Sorry for the untidy post, I'm copying and pasting from the phone:

What are the technical requirements?

The fight is available for viewing on your PC/Desktop/MAC, NOW TV Box, iOS and Android devices.

PC/laptop/MAC minimum requirements

A broadband internet connection (DSL/cable or higher) of 800 kbps or higher is needed. If you have an internet connection speed of 3 Mbps or higher and your computer meets the requirements below, you will be able to stream at the highest video quality.

Minimum Windows Requirements

Pentium 4 2.4GHz or higher or equivalent AMD processor with a minimum of 1GB of memory

Microsoft Edge (Windows 10)
    Internet Explorer (11+ on Windows 8.1+)
    Firefox 47+ or later
    Chrome 35+ or later
    Adobe Flash Player 11.0 or later: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

Im going to go over now to the 'ASK SKY' forum and see if they know, will report back here when they get back to me for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

what happens if Conor wins ? does he continue in boxing or will he return to the UFC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    what happens if Conor wins ? does he continue in boxing or will he return to the UFC ?

You can be sure the UFC have an iron clad contract in place to ensure he fights in the UFC next. Also I believe he will want to return to the Octagon and barring injury he'll fight before the year is out

walshb wrote: »
    Boxing is an art form. Of course it is violent. It's inherently so.

It's inherently far more violent than MMA if we measure violence by death, serious brain injury etc.

Anyway, Dan Hardy's point was relating to ego. Floyd is not the "tough guy" in this match-up and he feels it might be why Floyd wanted the 8oz gloves to prove he's "tough" but the reality, in Dan's opinion, is that Floyd is simply a boxer and boxers are not fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TwoToneRebel

C'mon McGregor!

It's inherently far more violent than MMA if we measure violence by death, serious brain injury etc.

Anyway, Dan Hardy's point was relating to ego. Floyd is not the "tough guy" in this match-up and he feels it might be why Floyd wanted the 8oz gloves to prove he's "tough" but the reality, in Dan's opinion, is that Floyd is simply a boxer and boxers are not fighters.

That's fine...

My point is the way some people speak about MMA. Using OTT kind of glorified language that depicts or portrays only the violent side of it...

I see it a bit here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

With all due respect to Dan, he is full of it if he truly believes that. Some of the garbage getting spouted as to who is a "fighter" and who are "the real tough guys" is petty on both sides.

Both boxing and MMA have tough people in them, neither is tougher over the other. Just drop the crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,580 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of boxing people see people rolling around on the floor and make fun of it even though i assume its skilled . I doubt they care in the slightest that other people are better than them at that .
    Not caring about grappling is not the same as not caring about fighting ability though. Like the way random guys think they're handy in a fight with a few beers in them.

Gintonious wrote: »
    With all due respect to Dan, he is full of it if he truly believes that. Some of the garbage getting spouted as to who is a "fighter" and who are "the real tough guys" is petty on both sides.

Both boxing and MMA have tough people in them, neither is tougher over the other. Just drop the crap.

He's just articulating how elite MMA fighters feel about boxers. They greatly respect the skill involved in boxing but don't rate them as fighters because they know they'd dismantle boxers in an MMA fight, which to their minds is closer to a true fight because of the increased weapons.

It'll be a pretty big blow to boxing if the guy they are openly mocking goes in there and drops a bomb on Floyd's chin. I can't see any positive spin for the sport of boxing if Conor is standing over Floyd on the ground. The flip side is true to a lesser extent, it won't do a lot for MMA if Floyd is standing over Conor as he's counted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He's just articulating how elite MMA fighters feel about boxers. They greatly respect the skill involved in boxing but don't rate them as fighters because they know they'd dismantle boxers in an MMA fight, which to their minds is closer to a true fight because of the increased weapons.

It'll be a pretty big blow to boxing if the guy they are openly mocking goes in there and drops a bomb on Floyd's chin. I can't see any positive spin for the sport of boxing if Conor is standing over Floyd on the ground. The flip side is true to a lesser extent, it won't do a lot for MMA if Floyd is standing over Conor as he's counted out.

He is just coming across as a plonker really, with elitist opinions like that over a sport he has never really competed in at a high level, he goes ahead and says that boxers aren't fighters because...because MMA. How can he keep a straight face when he doesn't rate them as fighter just because they use their hands, that is some logic he is using there. MMA fighters can say all they want about "if it was an MMA fight blah blah", if that alternative universe makes them happy then so be it. What he is saying is far from fact regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Where are yee watching Dan hardy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,580 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    Read the boxing forum from the start and you will see how some people lived up to the stereotype . One highly popular poster on this thread came across as condoning a human form of cockfighting . The thirst for blood and violence is bizarre
    I seem to remember posts on the boxing thread hoping that McGregor ends up brain damaged. Not saying if might happen, actually wishing it happens. Absolutely disgusting mentality.

Tarring a whole group of fans and the entire sport with the posts of one or two people is silly. But, if that's your angle, I don't think it fairs too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I would be beyond shocked in Conor missed weight. I'd also be beyond shocked if Floyd was being serious and not trying to get a rise. It's all mind games now but as the old song says 'he can get in your head like he's Dr.Phil'
    :

I don't think boxers cut as much as MMA guys. You didn't start seeing weight cutting documentaries until MMA became at thing. And It doesn't seem to be as big an issue. I believe even if Conor is 10 lbs over now, He'll be able to cut

Where as Floyd won't have to cut at all.

Mellor wrote: »
    I seem to remember posts on the boxing thread hoping that McGregor ends up brain damaged. Not saying if might happen, actually wishing it happens. Absolutely disgusting mentality.

Tarring a whole group of fans and the entire sport with the posts of one or two people is silly. But, if that's your angle, I don't think it fairs too well.

That was one single post if memory servers me. And who was it? A poster that I don't ever recall posting on the forum.

In general from what I see it seems to be MMA fans that more use this kind of violent aggressive language when discussing the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

Infuze Bar, 2 Paseo Illetas Local 7, 07181 Palma, Balearic Islands.

+34971412163

Name, address, phone number of the bar I found in Mallorca showing the fight. I think they're charging 15 at the door, call them and ask.

You're an absolute legend!

Just been on the phone to them there and we'll be watching the fight there.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it

I'll be honest, I'm tuning in to this fight to watch 2 lads knock the bolix of each other.

You'll tune in to watch one lad knock the bolix of the other lad. Like it or not, that's what you are, in essence, watching.

And I'd associate cockfighting with gambling as well, and there's an awful lot more of that on the boxing thread than on here.

Are there arsehole MMA fans? Absolutely. No doubt about it.
    Are there arsehole boxing fans? Absolutely. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't think boxers cut as much as MMA guys. You didn't start seeing weight cutting documentaries until MMA became at thing. And It doesn't seem to be as big an issue. I believe even if Conor is 10 lbs over now, He'll be able to cut

Where as Floyd won't have to cut at all.

It's a bit of a carryover from wrestling. More weight, more to throw around.

And there's more weight classes in boxing, meaning you don't have to cut as much, along with the 30 day and 7 day weight checks bringing it into balance.

Just having a read, and apparently Cotto, Walters and Pacquio cut a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

SteM wrote: »

Donald McRae is an absolutely brilliant sportswriter, and that's a magnificent piece. Love the anecdote about Daly being unable to read the ESPN article, the state of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement