Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

The line Conor used "Dance for me boy" has heavy racial undertones.

It really doesn't.

People adding 2 and 2 together getting 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

D.Q wrote: »
    British tabloids reporting they arrived on same flight, have pictures

None of the pictures I saw showed them walking out of the plane together so it's impossible to tell if it's true or not. I highly doubt it is anyway, they have a full crew each with them, there'd be no reason for them to share a jet when they'll need more than one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

British tabloids reporting they arrived on same flight, have pictures

I'd say they have been all week.

The lads are working together. Not the personalities, but the promoters. Mayweather Promotions and McGregor Promotions. 8 hour flight, chance to talk business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The only colour Conor cares about is green.
    Then colour of his money

He's not racist just not very well advised on these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/boxing/much-rivalry-floyd-mayweather-conor-10798496

BFF's conor and floyd sharing a private jet together to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well you quantify publicity quite easily. You can use google search to see the amount of articles written about each this week. You can use google search analytics and search their names to see search trends. You can search their names on youtube and count up the view counts on their individual interviews this week. You can use twitter and instagram to see how many mentions a fighter gets. You can look at tweet impressions on their tweets. You can look at the net +/- on followers this week on facebook/twitter/instagram.

Conor is beating him (easily) in every category.

As for the records, I'm saying:

1. It's much more difficult, borderline impossible, to go undefeated in MMA. If we start there, that's almost enough reason in itself why it's stupid to compare records.

2. Floyd's 49-0 record is more padded than Conor's 21-3 record. Floyd's first 16 pro opponents don't even have a wikipedia page and his next 5 opponents were journeymen at super-featherweight.

3. Conor was 19 when he fought Sitenkov and had only been doing MMA months.... even though it's technically a "Pro fight", to my mind given his age and skillset it was an amateur contest in all-but-name. It *counts* but my personal opinion is it's misleading.

4. Floyd isn't undefeated in his boxing career. That's just a fact. He's merely undefeated in his pro career. He wasn't playing tiddlywinks as an amateur, he competed in the Olympics.

I think it's foolish for that poster to point to Conor's 3 losses, it makes him look clueless about MMA. Jon Jones is undefeated because he's a freak and even then many people think Alex beat him.

Thanks, I was genuinely interested in how you measured it.

As for the records, I would say its silly to compare records because they are very different sports, so we agree on that.

1. This may be the case, but it can happen (you referenced Jon Jones). Granted it has more to do with the age of MMA and how long it has actually been around for.

2. While you say that Floyds record is "padded", it still has 15 world champions on that list, has fought at 5 weight classes, and weather some were past it or not desert matter one bit, he still beat them on an equal playing field. Wikipedia pages? Who cares? You could say the same about McGregors record.

3. Your opinion on the Sitenkov fight is mute as well, it was classed as a pro fight and weather you agree with that or not doesn't matter I'm afraid. It still counts.

4. He is undefeated, saying he is "merely undefeated in his pro career" and somehow trying to ignore the 49 pro victories to focus on the losses when he was a teenager? Thats really reaching for it. It is the more impressive record and more relevant one to reference, at his pro debut, his recorded wouldn't have shown his amateur fights because they don't matter, they didn't matter then, they don't matter now.

His amateur record is 84–8, (bronze medal from Atlanta 96, national champion etc etc) that in itself is still highly impressive. But you don't make money doing that. Once you go pro, thats all that matters and trying to bring up his amateur career to diminish his pro record is clutching at straws IMO.

Whoever is running the show chartered several private jets from Zetta Jet (purple infinity logo). That's what everybody is travelling on, including picking up the boys from Dublin.

McGregor is just along for the ride and would have to travel on whatever jet they told him to. I would imagine the execs brought Floyd and Conor onto their own jet so they can have a chat about the racist comments and accusations etc. Tell them to cool it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Smell of ****e around the whole thing. Reckon the fight will be more staged than a wwe match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It would be epic if he brought a projector tonight and followed Father Ted's method.

areyouright2.jpg

Are there Maori in London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

What sport do people think benefits most from this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

ricero wrote:
    Smell of ****e around the whole thing. Reckon the fight will be more staged than a wwe match

50-1 for a draw! Rematch on the cards then. Money talks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What sport do people think benefits most from this?

None really but if mcgregor puts on a good show he might bring more casual fans over to the ufc

I'm not really sure why you find the concept so difficult. Language and interpretation of language isn't universal. As an example, I've no problem with any of my friends jokingly referring to us as taigs or fenians. It's not ok for Billy or Sammy from East Belfast to do the same.

So where there is a cultural or racial divide, certain terms are not acceptable. Those same terms are acceptable if used within that culture or race? How do you explain good 'ol fiddy using the term "white boy" in relation to Conor then? The term can't be racist only one way, it's either racist or its not. In this context, it's not at all racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I'm a casual fan - these press conferences have nearly put me off paying for it....How has this happened? Why have the press conferences being so ridiculous? Normally McGregor has me hooked - his usual build ups have been TV gold....The fact they shared a plane says a lot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'm not very good at Paint but this might help illustrate it. Google search trends are only one metric but I know the UFC rely on them as a strong indicator of how the fight is likely to perform on PPV.

1. We see that this Press Tour is almost generating the same buzz as Pacman's loss to Horn. It's already surpassed the Pacman-Vargas fight-night buzz. You can also see Conor is coming out on top of Floyd since the fight announcement.

22lzis.png

2. We see the May-Mac Press Tour crushes the May-Pacman pressers and Canelo-Cotto and Canelo-Khan fight-nights. It surpasses UFC 189 fight night also.

ff1w1c.png

3. Comparing it to the biggest boxing fight (on PPV) of 2017, it crushes the Canelo-Chavez media tour and is not even all that far off the interest of the fight itself.

These are all metrics pointing to the PPV trending in the 3.5m - 6m lower-upper range. If they sit back and twiddle their thumbs it'll do the low-end.

If they push on and don't F this up by one of them getting injured and/or either of them continuing to rock up 2 hours late and treating their fans and media partners for fools... then it can really do huge numbers on PPV.

15yyatu.png

ricero wrote: »
    None really but if mcgregor puts on a good show he might bring more casual fans over to the ufc

Same for boxing.

Mayweather is thoroughly interested in this way of promotion, and as we've seen, boxing type promotion isn't what people want to see, look at the reaction to the lads talking before "The Main Event" over the last couple of nights.

And I score that a 10-8 to wonderlife.

:Pacman:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭xtal191

So will it still be available live on YouTube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Inviere wrote: »
    So where there is a cultural or racial divide, certain terms are not acceptable. Those same terms are acceptable if used within that culture or race? How do you explain good 'ol fiddy using the term "white boy" in relation to Conor then? The term can't be racist only one way, it's either racist or its not. In this context, it's not at all racist.

White boy is clearly racist, but we're not talking about what 50 Cent said, we're talking about what McGregor said.

No, it's not. Many black people in the US address each other using the word "******". Many gay people use the word "queer". You can't just say "they did it, so I can do it and not be other".

• Advertisement

Many black people in the US address each other using the word "******". Many gay people use the word "queer". You can't just say "they did it, so I can do it and not be other".

Indeed, and that's fine...they're examples of a race or community taking what was a pejorative, and making it their own. No issue there. It's where usage is across differing race or cultures, is where the term again becomes a pejorative.

I asked about fifty cent because it gives us a perfectly clear view on what mcgregor said. You have two men, both using the same word toward a person of a different skin colour, and it's the white man who's labelled a racist, not the black man. It's complete nonsense.

Dictating what a person can and can't say based on their skin colour is the very definition of racism. The snowflakes don't see that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I asked about fifty cent because it gives us a perfectly clear view on what mcgregor said. You have two men, both using the same word toward a person of a different skin colour, and it's the white man who's labelled a racist, not the black man. It's complete nonsense.

It's the white man who's labelled a racist because he's the one who is the centre of attention ffs. 50 Cent doesn't even count as a sideshow.

It's the white man who's labelled a racist because he's the one who is the centre of attention ffs. 50 Cent doesn't even count as a sideshow.

So it's fine to be 'racist' from the sidelines then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's another reason I'd love McGregor to cause a big upset here, the elitism and snobbery toward MMA from certain boxing fans is eye roll material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's another reason I'd love McGregor to cause a big upset here, the elitism and snobbery toward MMA from certain boxing fans is eye roll material.

Boxing fans saying MMA fighters are generally terrible boxers isn't eye rolling material, it's a factually correct statement.

Conor would struggle against any established professional in his weight class. That's just a fact.

Boxing fans saying MMA fighters are generally terrible boxers isn't eye rolling material, it's a factually correct statement.

Conor would struggle against any established professional in his weight class. That's just a fact.

I've no issue with facts, it's elitism and snobbery I'm referring to.

Yeah I felt it most from Max Kellerman and Teddy Atlas but Paulie Malignaggi came up with some gems too. He was saying he's not sure if Conor knows that Floyd will be throwing out shots that are not designed to land but are meant to gauge his reaction.

Please.

Conor has been doing the exact same thing every fight in the UFC. He throws an incredible amount of probing shots to look for a reaction to land future shots.

I don't mind boxing pundits saying Floyd will school him because that's a fair opinion they're entitled to... but hinting that Conor has no concept of fight IQ or that MMA is "caveman stuff" is crazy. Half of these boxing experts are stuck in a time-warp thinking MMA is Mark Coleman v Don Frye type stuff.

Anyway Conor has the chance to prove a point in 6 weeks.

That's probably true.

But we're in a situation where he is one clean left hand to the chin away from beating the best boxer of the last 25 years.

Pretty good spot to find himself in because if he was fighting the 37th ranked WBO boxer he'd have very little upside - against Floyd there's very little downside.

• Advertisement

Should be good with the amount of filming they've been doing the last few years.

I hope it's a warts-and-all documentary.

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/885891848685965313

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement