Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yea, best bet is to turn off phone and watch in morning if not live that night.

Don't worry about that. The fight will be available in gif form shortly after.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Have to laugh at Paulie when he is being ushered away from McGregor by security and he says 'I'm a fighter,I'm a fighter, it's OK' and then when he is talking to media just after he is complaining saying the security treated him like a normal fan not knowing who he was. They don't care who you're Paulie, they treated you like some crazed lunatic who was confronting and shouting at a person involved in a $500m fight in 3 days time. What did he expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I personally believe Conor showed heart in other ways throughout his career also.

He clearly tore his ACL when Max trapped his leg when Conor was trying to transition to side control and he fought the next 6 minutes with a torn ACL. That's pretty courageous.

Speaking of which, on the day of the fight it will be exactly four years since this crazy positive pre-surgery tweet:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/372460947115233280

It was around this time actually that Berto met him, which he talks about here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

akelly02 wrote: »
    yes , with tiger woods and some asian guy in the golf

And didn't Alex Ferguson go mental when they paid out on United winning the League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ricero wrote:
    Many on here cheering for floyd on saturday ? A few people il be watching with on saturday want floyd to win

ricero wrote:
    Dont know if i will watch it live or the next morning as soon as i wake up to avoid spoilers.

You'll be watching it live, you'll be as excited as everyone else for it Saturday night. I'm pretty sure every single poster on this thread will watch it. Why lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Paddy Power paying out on Floyd. I'm usually a fan of that sort of thing and especially as Conor is a no hoper but not sure their banter brigade idiot customers will be too happy with them not supporting oirish.

They have history with McGregor, he turned them down for advertisement ops apparently and they've had the odd back and forth on Twitter..............

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/418056190015188992
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/378122032061218816

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Dana says (I know) that this fight has already broke pre buy records in UK and is well set to smash the record there of 1.1m for the Joshua v Vladimir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yea, best bet is to turn off phone and watch in morning if not live that night.
    But goes to show people who don't like the idea of the fight still want to see what happens!

Im trying to figure out how to watch it in the morning without knowing the result. As soon as I search Mayweather McGregor the result is going to come up. I dont suppose after the event is over it would be put up on the UFC or other Youtube channel somewhere and I could just have that open?

Muahahaha wrote:
    Im trying to figure out how to watch it in the morning without knowing the result. As soon as I search Mayweather McGregor the result is going to come up. I dont suppose after the event is over it would be put up on the UFC or other Youtube channel somewhere and I could just have that open?

Buy it on sky box office and record. You can watch it up to 7 days after the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Buy it on sky box office and record. You can watch it up to 7 days after the event.

Too expensive to pay that much for a replay IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

ricero wrote: »
    Many on here cheering for floyd on saturday ? A few people il be watching with on saturday want floyd to win

I myself couldnt give a ****e who wins. Just want this to end and see mcgregor back in the octagon

Wish both could lose tbh because come Sunday which ever side wins are going to become insufferable.

Wish both could lose tbh because come Sunday which ever side wins are going to become insufferable.

Double knockout is 200/1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Both sides are kind of losers anyway.

Conor loses the fight. Boxing gains nothing. Floyd gains nothing other than the tag of spoofer.

• Muahahaha wrote: »

If you have certain tv sources you could record also.
    Either that or get a direct mp4 from certain sources directly from the site making sure to have the link already open!! (can't mention them here)
    That would save you searching in google and revealing the result accidentally.

• Wish both could lose tbh because come Sunday which ever side wins are going to become insufferable.

Meh, take it on the chin (pun intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dana says (I know) that this fight has already broke pre buy records in UK and is well set to smash the record there of 1.1m for the Joshua v Vladimir

That would be ridiculously impressive given AJ vs Joshua was UK primetime and this will be at 5am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw a notification from UFC about buying the fight through their site to recieve a free hat and 30 days of fight pass. Can't believe it costs 100 dollars in US, just madness to pay that.

walshb wrote: »
    Both sides are kind of losers anyway.

Conor loses the fight. Boxing gains nothing. Floyd gains nothing. All Floyd gains is the tag of spoofer.

Yes. they both lose.

giphy.gif

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Just saw a notification from UFC about buying the fight through their site to recieve a free hat and 30 days of fight pass. Can't believe it costs 100 dollars in US, just madness to pay that.

Can we buy it from the UFC here in Eire?

• Advertisement

That would be ridiculously impressive given AJ vs Joshua was UK primetime and this will be at 5am.

Absolutely. I think AJ is a bigger name in UK than McGregor too. I can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sky have confirmed to me that you can view their box office stream via the Chrome browser.

Although they don't officially support Chromecast, it means anyone who uses the Chrome browser will be able to cast it to their TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can we buy it from the UFC here in Eire?

I don't think so, says it is blacked out in my region when I go to the May/Mac section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Schaub is now skeptical if it will break the pay-per-view record.

Gintonious wrote: »

I was always sceptical that it would break the record. If it broke 3m it would be doing well.

Because what Schaub thinks I believe it will now break the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I remember in the post fight pressed for UFC194 McGregor, who had just set another UFC gate record, was asked what was next, what his target was.

“A $72 million gate (for Mayweather-Pacquiao), we did $10.1 (million),” he said.

“I’m catching up. I’m only 27. Them old motherf***ers were 40 before they got that on. I’m only on my way up. I said to Dana, I’m bringing these big numbers. I’m bringing these half-a-billion dollar revenue numbers — like the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight done.

- Conor McGregor (Dec 2015)

I remember thinking at the time that he was aiming high, but it will never happen. Nobody could have predicted it. But here we are. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SteM

Gintonious wrote: »

I think he's right but I think his reasoning is off. His reasons
    1 - that they've pitched the live tickets too high - I'm not sure how that would effect the PPV numbers.
    2 - that the UFC are offering a hat and free Fight Pass for a monthand that's a sign of desperation. To me it's a simple marketing gimmick that's not going to cost them much at all. I don't really see this as a sign of desperation myself.

The reason I think it's not going to break the record is because there are 3 markets of people that this fight can sell to

1) Boxing fans
    My feeling is this fight is going to be shunned by a lot of boxing fans in the US. They don't seem to have the interest in it that MMA fans do. My guess is a lot will hold off ordering it for $100, especially with a big fight coming up in a few weeks that they seem to be drooling over. If I was a boxing fan and I had to order either this or GGG/Canelo then I'm streaming/downloading/youtubing this and buying the boxing PPV.

2) MMA fans
    Are they used to paying $100 for a PPV in the US? They might be interested in the main event but most would have no interest in the undercard so they might balk at paying out $100 for it. Streaming has become so stupidly popular that they may just choose to stream the main event rather than pay $100 for the whole show.

3) Casual's, people that want to see the spectacle.
    My guess is that you'll pick up a lot but again at $100 it's almost be better to go to your nearest bar and watch it.

So to me the cost along with the fact that it's not a fight that is not really aimed at one specific set of fans is will stop it from doing the numbers that were being bandied about a few weeks ago.

**Please note: the above is my opinion only. I am not an expert like a lot of people here, just looking at the event from an outside perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've been looking forward to this fight for months now, and as it approaches, I'm getting nervous!

I know this is beyond stupid but is anyone else the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

everlast75 wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this fight for months now, and as it approaches, I'm getting nervous!

I know this is beyond stupid but is anyone else the same?

No because i dont think conor has a chance to win. Weird because in all his other fights i have always felt some nerves going into fight week but not this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Conor's media scrum yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement