Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is boxing covered under USADA as well? Just on the back of this Jon Jones "revelation" I'm wondering what testing, if any, would've been done for this fight (and others) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is boxing covered under USADA as well? Just on the back of this Jon Jones "revelation" I'm wondering what testing, if any, would've been done for this fight (and others) ??

Dana said in his scrum yesterday that Floyd agreed to join the USADA program for this fight. Both had been tested 13 times up to that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

ricero wrote: »
    No because i dont think conor has a chance to win. Weird because in all his other fights i have always felt some nerves going into fight week but not this time

I know what you mean. I was the same in all other fights (Diaz 2 nearly killed me!)

I've zero expectations this time around - but I still hope for the impossible, so still can't shake the feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TheTownie wrote: »
    Dana said in his scrum yesterday that Floyd agreed to join the USADA program for this fight. Both had been tested 13 times up to that point.

Floyd is well used to USADA at this point. He was given a TUE to use an IV drip vs. Pacquaio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

everlast75 wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this fight for months now, and as it approaches, I'm getting nervous!

I know this is beyond stupid but is anyone else the same?

maybe not nervous, a bit more excited than I was before though. Maybe it's because I'm lapping up all the self-belief from the McGregor camp.

I think McGregor winning is highly unlikely but definitely possible and that he's going to fare a bit better than the vast majority expect him to. Mainly I'm just interested in what McGregor's camp have been cooking up all this time and if it will be any use at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

everlast75 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I was the same in all other fights (Diaz 2 nearly killed me!)

I've zero expectations this time around - but I still hope for the impossible, so still can't shake the feeling

I'm more nervous for this fight than any of his previous ones, mainly because I think a) he will win and b) it'll be the seminal moment of his career that shows c) anything is possible in life.

I honestly don't care if he fights Nate a 3rd time or gets beaten by Ferguson, but I would be very nervous for Floyd, GSP and Woodley because they're milestone opportunities. No offence to Nate, Kevin Lee, Ferguson but there's not much to gain legacy-wise beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm more nervous for this fight than any of his previous ones, mainly because I think a) he will win and b) it'll be the seminal moment of his career that shows c) anything is possible in life.

I honestly don't care if he fights Nate a 3rd time or gets beaten by Ferguson, but I would be very nervous for Floyd, GSP and Woodley because they're milestone opportunities. No offence to Nate, Kevin Lee, Ferguson but there's not much to gain legacy-wise beating them.

He can become the LW goat no questions asked if he beat Ferguson/Khabib/Lee and whoever else rises to the top of that division over the next 3/4 years. While also taking shots at all time greatness, fighting Mayweather, WW Champ, GSP etc because we know he'll take those shots. I'd love to see him leave a pile of LW contenders beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Mcgregors game plan is to get in there, avoid being murdered and then rub all the monies on his titties.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Mcgregors game plan is to get in there, avoid being murdered and then rub the all the monies on his titties.

That's my morning routine as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Pricks on whatsapp groups sending it out also knowing full well you don't want to know :mad:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

Fromvert wrote: »
    He can become the LW goat no questions asked if he beat Ferguson/Khabib/Lee and whoever else rises to the top of that division over the next 3/4 years. While also taking shots at all time greatness, fighting Mayweather, WW Champ, GSP etc because we know he'll take those shots. I'd love to see him leave a pile of LW contenders beaten.

If, and it's a big if, he ever took on and beat Woodley...would that make him the P4P GOAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

walshb wrote: »
    On the boxing forum it's circa 70-30 on the poll. I would call that clear but not really clear, and not near as clear as it should be.

I see you're not in agreement with the majority anyway!

Yeah I picked him in the poll for a laugh really as I'm sure a lot of others did but I don't really think he has any credible chance of winning.

He might shock the world but most MMA fans who know anything about boxing would not give him much chance.

It's not a bad reflection on him or the sport, it's just common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Inviere wrote: »
    If, and it's a big if, he ever took on and beat Woodley...would that make him the P4P GOAT?

He doesn't have to take on Woodley in my opinion to do that, with Jones pretty much killing his own career its left open for Conor to take that mantle really.

Woodley still feels like a bridge too far, same with GSP. Would just like to see him defend a belt, just for once.

Inviere wrote: »

It would be hard to say no, three belts in three weight classes is tough to argue against.
    The only person who people would argue with him is GSP (if he wins the MW belt).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What weight would you have him fight GSP at? GSP is gonna fight at 185 against Bisping, I don't see him being able to make 170 anymore and Conor struggled to hit 170 against Diaz...

What weight would you have him fight GSP at? GSP is gonna fight at 185 against Bisping, I don't see him being able to make 170 anymore and Conor struggled to hit 170 against Diaz...

You're right it would be tough for GSP now, heard him say a few weeks back he's over 200lbs now and when at WW he was just over 185lbs.

I wouldn't be surprised with McGregor accepting fights higher than 170lbs for one offs, catchweight at 175 etc. Or force GSP to shed the weight he put on if he wants another big payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

predictions for sunday

celtic v rangers type abuse from the trolls on either side of the DIVIDE

facebook is already nothing but arguments from all types
    boxing fans will call it a fix or fluke if he wins
    if he loses mma fans will hope for moral victory to fall back on

the fight cant fail to be exciting ? can it?

cant decide where to watch it - sin nightclub i see are selling tickets

I was ridiculed for this before but I'll repeat it...

If GSP beats Bisping, I believe Conor will fight him for the middleweight belt.

At the end of the day, GSP is an average sized welterweight and Conor is an above average sized lightweight. In any normal universe they would be fighting at a catchweight of 165lbs.

But... if GSP has the 185lb strap... it would be a unique opportunity for Conor to win the middleweight title against a welterweight sized opponent and that's the sort of thing that will be the stuff of legend if he wins the featherweight, lightweight and middleweight world titles.

I thought I was alone in that view but I heard Chad Dundas and Ben Fowlkes suggest the same thing on last weeks podcast so, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Mcgregors game plan is to get in there, avoid being murdered and then rub all the monies on his titties.

What will you do if McG KOs him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The only way I think McGregor has even a tiny tiny chance is to come out all guns blazing, helped if Floyd pushes forward.

If he's any bit sensible and cautious it will be an absolute cake walk for Floyd.

Just throw like a lunatic for as long as he can, or else go cautious for the not so valiant defeat.

But yeah, I'm all in now on this farce! Gooooooo McGregor!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I can see a mcgregor victory so clearly in my minds eye. I'm convinced it's going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm thinking Khabib won't cut to 155 again after what happened last time. Whatever about the physical toll it took on him the mental toll must have be torture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    What will you do if McG KOs him?

What would you do if you won the lotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I was ridiculed for this before but I'll repeat it...

If GSP beats Bisping, I believe Conor will fight him for the middleweight belt.

At the end of the day, GSP is an average sized welterweight and Conor is an above average sized lightweight. In any normal universe they would be fighting at a catchweight of 165lbs.

But... if GSP has the 185lb strap... it would be a unique opportunity for Conor to win the middleweight title against a welterweight sized opponent and that's the sort of thing that will be the stuff of legend if he wins the featherweight, lightweight and middleweight world titles.

I thought I was alone in that view but I heard Chad Dundas and Ben Fowlkes suggest the same thing on last weeks podcast so, we'll see.

You think that Conor can make 185lb's?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

sc86 wrote: »
    predictions for sunday

celtic v rangers type abuse from the trolls on either side of the DIVIDE

facebook is already nothing but arguments from all types
    boxing fans will call it a fix or fluke if he wins
    if he loses mma fans will hope for moral victory to fall back on

the fight cant fail to be exciting ? can it?

cant decide where to watch it - sin nightclub i see are selling tickets

It most definitely can.

I didn't watch Floyd v Pacquiao but all I've heard is that it was boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was just thinking the same thing, he was soft enough at 170, another 15lbs on top of that...

GSP will be ripped at 185, he walks near 200 as it is. He may well fight him but I think that would be a different kettle of fish altogether.

No but he can weigh in at 176-181 and still fancy his chances if he lands his left hand against GSP. As I said, neither of them are remotely close to natural middleweights so it'd be probably the one opportunity Conor would ever have to win the middleweight title.

GSP needs to get past Bisping first and that won't be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What would you do if you won the lotto?

Go on boards and pretend how a sporting event will unfold before it even happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Fromvert wrote:
    You're right it would be tough for GSP now, heard him say a few weeks back he's over 200lbs now and when at WW he was just over 185lbs.

I don't see him having much issue cutting to 170, unless the issue is doing it without an IV.

Was listening to Jeremy Stephens on Rogans podcast and he says he walks around at 175 and cuts to 145.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

Gintonious wrote: »
    He doesn't have to take on Woodley in my opinion to do that, with Jones pretty much killing his own career its left open for Conor to take that mantle really.

Yeah true, though while the mantle hasn't been taken yet, what do you feel Conor would need to do to claim it?
    Woodley still feels like a bridge too far, same with GSP. Would just like to see him defend a belt, just for once.

I think if you put a genuine UFC rockstar in there for Conor to defend against, we'll see it. It's hard to see who'll bring the numbers in the LW division though, perhaps Khabib? Personally I'd see Conor have a go at Woodley before GSP, GSP is looking at the MW strap, the gulf between that and 155 is huge. Conor at 170 is a frightening prospect, but as we've seen, he seemed to have cardio issues at the higher weights. I'm not so sure he'd relish the chance to go up beyond 170

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement