Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

No but he can weigh in at 176-181 and still fancy his chances if he lands his left hand against GSP. As I said, neither of them are remotely close to natural middleweights so it'd be probably the one opportunity Conor would ever have to win the middleweight title.

GSP needs to get past Bisping first and that won't be easy.

Surely he'd have to make weight of 185 to fight for the strap?

Being 9lb under surely couldn't fly. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't get this....

anything above 170 and it's MW. Once you are at or below 185 and above 170 your are MW and can compete.

Unless you mean be competitive and or win whilst weighing 176 or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I don't think he would be competitive against GSP weighing almost 10lb more than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't think he would be competitive against GSP weighing almost 10lb more than him

He'd be fighting his own additional weight too. 170 was the upper limit I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Haha this is gas.

Chael breaking down what will happen if Conor wins. There's a hint in the title of the video:

"If Conor McGregor beats Floyd Mayweather, the boxing community will make excuses".

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I don't get this....

anything above 170 and it's MW. Once you are at or below 185 and above 170 your are MW and can compete.

Unless you mean be competitive and or win whilst weighing 176 or so...

Genuinely didn't know it was a range.

Learn something new every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It most definitely can.

I didn't watch Floyd v Pacquiao but all I've heard is that it was boring.

floyd does boring fights

conor does not

so something has to give :D

conor at 185 - lads get a grip please thats just silly

To fight for the middleweight title you must weigh in between 171lbs and 185lbs.

Conor can, if he wants, come in at 171lbs for the fight. 170.5 and 185.5 are no-no's anywhere in between he's good to go.

sc86 wrote: »
    conor at 185 - lads get a grip please thats just silly

Why? GSP wants the fight. Conor wants to be a legend who held titles in multiple weight classes. The fight would make a bajillion dollars by MMA standards. Neither of them are middleweights, so it'd be no different to Conor fighting a welterweight... just for the middleweight title if he holds it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Conor isn't fighting at 185 man. Thats just nuts. And why would he?

GSP can make 155. Hell, lazy GSP can make 170. Why on earth would they fight at 185? Conor at 185 would look fat. You can't put all that weight on with a body his size without it seriously effecting cardio.

Kirby wrote: »
    Conor isn't fighting at 185 man. Thats just nuts. And why would he?

GSP can make 155. Hell, lazy GSP can make 170. Why on earth would they fight at 185? Conor at 185 would look fat. You can't put all that weight on with a body his size without it seriously effecting cardio.

He doesn't need to put on weight, he can weigh in at 171 and still fight for the middleweight title.

Why on earth would Conor fight GSP at 155? Because Conor loves defending his belts? If he were to fight GSP for the middleweight title, it's more Rocky-type stuff with no downside. If he loses, he went up and took the shot at the bigger guy.

GSP isn't a middleweight. He's a pretty average sized welterweight. Hence it would be a unique opportunity for Conor to try take a belt as high as middleweight where he has absolutely zero business fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yeah only weight I could ever see Conor and GSP fight each other would be at welterweight.

Why? GSP wants the fight. Conor wants to be a legend who held titles in multiple weight classes. The fight would make a bajillion dollars by MMA standards. Neither of them are middleweights, so it'd be no different to Conor fighting a welterweight... just for the middleweight title if he holds it.

i love your positivity but its not gona work out :D

id say you believe conor can walk on water:P

sc86 wrote: »
    i love your positivity but its not gona work out :D

id say you believe conor can walk on water:P

We all agree Conor v GSP is a realistic fight to make. It'd make sense at 155lb, 165lb, 170lb. The spanner in the works is if GSP wins the 185lb title and Conor holds the 155lb title, where would they fight?

My logic for various reasons is for the 185lb title.

1) Conor historically isn't bothered with defending titles.
    2) He constantly talks about winning titles in many weight classes.
    3) It's the type of challenge that would excite him.
    4) GSP is a tiny middleweight who could make lightweight.

Anyway, I was roundly mocked last year when I suggested Conor v Floyd would 100% happen in September 2017 back when people were telling me it was a complete fantasy. I was only off by like 6 days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New Conor ad from Beats, fairly class.

https://twitter.com/beatsbydre/status/900413142852812800

I love that the Dublin accent needs closed captions for the rest of the world.

Wouldn't pay for Beats in a million years, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think, no matter the weight, GSP would just do to Conor what he did to Nick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Who's that fat Irish guy thats always hanging around behind McGregor? Lately his big dome is everywhere.

Deedsie wrote: »
    That's a great advert. Well impressed with that. I liked the young lads St. Christopher's medal as opposed to Conor's "bling" chain. Nice touch

Yeah, I thought it was deadly, inspire and belief, and it does catch the spirit of young Dublin lads.

In the media scrum, who's the older guy, taking a knee near Conor? A journo, but who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Zero-Cool wrote:
    New Conor as from Beats, fairly class.

Trying to make Dublin 3 look like the wire with the orange sofa from season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Rekop dog wrote:
    Paddy Power paying out on Floyd. I'm usually a fan of that sort of thing and especially as Conor is a no hoper but not sure their banter brigade idiot customers will be too happy with them not supporting oirish.

It's not a matter of supporting Irish or not, The oddsmakers work off the numbers. Mayweather is so probable to win that it makes financial sense to pay out now
    GerryDerpy wrote:
    Humm that is interesting. Are they trying to encourage money on Mayweather from here on in?

The opposite. They are forcasting that the smart money will come in later for Mayweather. Paying out usually closes that particular market

Rekop dog wrote:
    Doubt they took huge sums on Floyd anyway, most industry money has been mug money for Conor. The type of sensible customer shopping for bets on Floyd would probably already been limited or closed by them.

True only mugs are backing McGregor

ricero wrote:
    Many on here cheering for floyd on saturday ? A few people il be watching with on saturday want floyd to win

Well I have a few bob on Mayweather so I hope he wins, very confident that he will

ricero wrote:
    I myself couldnt give a ****e who wins. Just want this to end and see mcgregor back in the octagon

I would aslo like to see McGregor back in MMA. He's not a boxer and he will make a fool of himself on Saturday. It was worth it for the money.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Trying to make Dublin 3 look like the wire with the orange sofa from season 1.

True but it's amusing that there are parts of most Irish cities that *visually* look pretty similar to Baltimore (run-down, dilapidated, rough) but if Wright Thompson describes them as "projects" he gets vilified for it.

It's that old thing again where Irish people often describe their home town as a "kip" but if anyone from outside says it, they throw an outrage-party :pac:

everlast75 wrote:
    I've been looking forward to this fight for months now, and as it approaches, I'm getting nervous!

everlast75 wrote:
    I know this is beyond stupid but is anyone else the same?

MagicIRL wrote:
    Is boxing covered under USADA as well? Just on the back of this Jon Jones "revelation" I'm wondering what testing, if any, would've been done for this fight (and others) ??

TheTownie wrote:
    Dana said in his scrum yesterday that Floyd agreed to join the USADA program for this fight. Both had been tested 13 times up to that point.

I watched Andre Berto's interview with B.Shaubb and he said he was never tested as much in his life as he was in the lead up to fighting Mayweather.

Not sure how much Floyd is dictating the testing for this fight but I has no fear of any tests himself, He's always been clean.

True but it's amusing that there are parts of most Irish cities that *visually* look pretty similar to Baltimore (run-down, dilapidated, rough) but if Wright Thompson describes them as "projects" he gets vilified for it.

It's that old thing again where Irish people often describe their home town as a "kip" but if anyone from outside says it, they throw an outrage-party :pac:

Nowt to do with the fight, but I once had to talk a bunch of German tourists out of "taking ze early morning walk, ya" towards Ballymun, and go towards Santry, because there was a topless lad swinging a broadsword at 3 other lads in the middle of the road, halfway between the hotel and the flats.

I watched Andre Berto's interview with B.Shaubb and he said he was never tested as much in his life as he was in the lead up to fighting Mayweather.

Not sure how much Floyd is dictating the testing for this fight but I has no fear of any tests himself, He's always been clean.

Wasn't Conor the most tested person in the UFC going into Diaz 1 (or 2)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Watching the Roddy vlogs and can't help noticing Dalby is the driest of dry sh!tes.

Absolute zero craic out of him, massively more evident when surround by Roddy and the lads having a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Will there be many Irish there?

UFC 205 had a ton of folks over but that was a much "cheaper" ticket and its a shorter/cheaper flight to NYC.

John_D80 wrote:
    He might shock the world but most MMA fans who know anything about boxing would not give him much chance.

There are plenty of MMA fans who are very knowledgeable about boxing, and know McGregor's chances are slim to none. Although you wouldn't know it by looking at the MMA section on boards.

John_D80 wrote:
    It's not a bad reflection on him or the sport, it's just common sense.

Most MMA fans on here take critisim of McGregor's as a boxer, as a knock on MMA, But It really isn't. Boxing is not his sport. In the same way, to say To Brady wouldn't have a chance in a Basketball game against LeBron James, is not a knock on Brady's ability as a Football player.
    The only way I think McGregor has even a tiny tiny chance is to come out all guns blazing, helped if Floyd pushes forward.

That's exactly what's going to get McGregor stopped quicker. All guns blazing, plays into Mayweather's hands

• Advertisement

Wasn't Conor the most tested person in the UFC going into Diaz 1 (or 2)?

I'm not suggesting Conor is on the juice, Just that he may not be used testing that boxers mysteriously, or not so mysteriously have to deal with before fighting Floyd. I don't know enough about the UFC drug testing to talk about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement