Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Floyds boxing skills will be light years ahead of McGregors, that much is certain. The best McGregor can hope for here is an Aldo'esque opportunity, which is not very likely. He certainly won't bully or walk Floyd down. Anyone with small knowledge of MMA or Boxing will nod to that. That's not elitism or snobbery though, theyre facts. Elitism and snobbery just say more about a person themselves than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That's probably true.

But we're in a situation where he is one clean left hand to the chin away from beating the best boxer of the last 25 years.

Pretty good spot to find himself in because if he was fighting the 37th ranked WBO boxer he'd have very little upside - against Floyd there's very little downside.

Thats because fighting the 37th best WBO fighter wouldn't come with a payday like this, win, lose or draw.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats because fighting the 37th best WBO fighter wouldn't come with a payday like this, win, lose or draw.

And wouldn't come with the acclaim of defeating Floyd Mayweather, one of the all time greats, however unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Agreed, it's hugely unlikely, but there's no need for such people to be elitist about it. Conor fanboys are bad, but Jesus, the anti fanboys are the opposite side of the same coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Not sure if anyone posted it above -

There will be a full boxing ring in the staging area for the presser this evening.

I'm guessing they'll be squared off in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Inviere wrote: »
    So it's fine to be 'racist' from the sidelines then?

Ffs, catch yourself on. That's completely disingenuous and you know it. Not even a sniff of even some of the most daft posters here arriving at that conclusion based on what I said.

No, it's not fine, it's just not realistic to expect it to get the same media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Likely a pull apart brawl with a load of "this is awesome" chants

ERG89 wrote: »
    Likely a pull apart brawl with a load of "this is awesome" chants

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Has the special guest referee been announced yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Pull apart is a cert for tonight. It's the go-home show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Watching the NY show now, Conor has between talking for 2 minutes and I feel like turning it off. Laaaaads

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Watching the NY show now, Conor has between talking for 2 minutes and I feel like turning it off. Laaaaads

Write NY off and forget it, nothing worth seeing and it'll put you in bad form.

London starts in less than an hour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Write NY off and forget it, nothing worth seeing and it'll put you in bad form.

London starts in less than an hour :)

We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You'd have to be very naïve to think it'll start in an hour. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Floyd seem to think the word 'eegit' is allot more offensive than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Well you quantify publicity quite easily. You can use google search to see the amount of articles written about each this week. You can use google search analytics and search their names to see search trends. You can search their names on youtube and count up the view counts on their individual interviews this week. You can use twitter and instagram to see how many mentions a fighter gets. You can look at tweet impressions on their tweets. You can look at the net +/- on followers this week on facebook/twitter/instagram.

Conor is beating him (easily) in every category.

As for the records, I'm saying:

1. It's much more difficult, borderline impossible, to go undefeated in MMA. If we start there, that's almost enough reason in itself why it's stupid to compare records.

2. Floyd's 49-0 record is more padded than Conor's 21-3 record. Floyd's first 16 pro opponents don't even have a wikipedia page and his next 5 opponents were journeymen at super-featherweight.

3. Conor was 19 when he fought Sitenkov and had only been doing MMA months.... even though it's technically a "Pro fight", to my mind given his age and skillset it was an amateur contest in all-but-name. It *counts* but my personal opinion is it's misleading.

4. Floyd isn't undefeated in his boxing career. That's just a fact. He's merely undefeated in his pro career. He wasn't playing tiddlywinks as an amateur, he competed in the Olympics.

I think it's foolish for that poster to point to Conor's 3 losses, it makes him look clueless about MMA. Jon Jones is undefeated because he's a freak and even then many people think Alex beat him.

Jon is undefeated because he is the best at his respective sport....Just like Floyd is the best at his....Stop trying to make excuses when there are none

The best are the best for a reason...Conor is not the best..that big 3 objectively proves that

I like Conor..but he is what he is....and the best he is far from

The fanboy is strong in you by the sounds of it

https://twitter.com/Maclifeofficial/status/885911248491212801
    Not sure if anyone posted it above -

There will be a full boxing ring in the staging area for the presser this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well that was horrible. Funniest part was Leonard introducing Money where his voice started breaking at the end. best bit was the legend Owen Roddy going straight into money's entourage. worst bit, the Conor rap.

Watching Dana's blog now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

ricero wrote: »
    Has the special guest referee been announced yet ?

Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Trump?

Vince Mcmahon. And i heard rumours Stone Cold Steve Austin is going to interfere with a steel chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads I'm also getting the content not available in your country on the live stream YouTube?

Edit: With a vpn and a us in I'm not.

pone2012 wrote: »
    Jon is undefeated because he is the best at his respective sport....Just like Floyd is the best at his....Stop trying to make excuses when there are none

Huh?

I didn't raise their respective records, you did. It's a false and misleading comparison to begin with but if you truly must raise it then the correct records are 133-8 for Floyd and 21-3 for Conor. I've no idea why you dismiss a 5 year amateur career for Floyd when literally nobody dismisses Anthony Joshua's Olympic Gold-medal winning career.

I didn't make 100% false statements like "Floyd is getting the better of Conor on the Press Tour", you did. I took the time to show you statistically how and where Conor is beating Floyd during the Press Tour in terms of publicity - and publicity is literally the only judging criteria to judge a *Press* *Tour*. It doesn't matter who gets the better zingers in, the winner is whoever gets the most press and most publicity, there's a clue in the title.

And the best you can come back with is "lol fanboy".

Calling me a "fanboy" is the lowest common denominator insult. Do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Vince Mcmahon. And i heard rumours Stone Cold Steve Austin is going to interfere with a steel chair.

Hulk Hogan as ref, the hook is that is he still racist?
    Probably has a bigger ego than the 2 who are fighting aswell :pac:

Artem says they flew on different planes and that Zetta Jet are sponsoring the fight, so they're the same jets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Showtime not running it that mean we know who will be broadcasting fight here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Paully D wrote: »
    "You don't see heels that like much these days"

"You can still find 'em"

0064B02900000258-3351112-image-a-29_1449586734869.jpg

I see sky sports news doing it

• Advertisement

Show they forcing t.v. only ? That mean tape delay and censored

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement