Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

CNN journalist just interviewed Conor for world sport segment and began with a race question...

What is it with major news networks trying to spin everything into a political or race debate? Two lads are about to punch the face off each other FFS and they expect them to act like U.N diplomats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The 2 big goons he singled out at Wembley were front stage, had to be them mouthing off
    I *think* it was one of Floyd's goons and that's why Floyd kept telling him to shut up.

Turns out it was a boxer called Nate Jones (according to Seckbach at least) and he caught what they were saying both times also:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Dana acting like a mortified parent petrified their 2-year-old is about to take his clothes off and run around the kitchen naked during Christmas dinner :pac:

Also thank you all for the kind words on the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If anyone wants to give this a spin...

https://mma-today.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-money-grab-tooth

Just an antidote to the "moneygrab", "farce", "joke" takes.

great article :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a good article.

Someone on here should tweet it to Paul Kimmage, I'm not on Twitter, he loves a good sports article.

• Advertisement

John seems certain that the walk out will be 4am on Sat night / Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't watch this stuff but just want to get this straight:

This McGregor chap, with no professional boxing experience whatsoever, is going to get in to a ring with one of the world's top boxers and he is suppose to stand a chance!!?

lol

Good luck with that. The guy is going to get his face smashed. No way it's lasting a round.

No way it's lasting a round.

25/1. Enjoy your money and don't forget to post a screen grab up of your betting receipt before the fight.

25/1. Enjoy your money and don't forget to post a screen grab up of your betting receipt before the fight.

The only way this lasts more than half a round is through corruption - end of story. He'll be knocked out within the first minute in a fair pro boxing fight. Anyone who thinks differently is deluded.

I think it's wrong despite the 100 million. I think there is no price to a reconfigured face and damaged vital organs.

It's not right to have this "fight". It won't be a fight.

The only way this lasts more than half a round is through corruption - end of story. He'll be knocked out within the first minute in a fair pro boxing fight. Anyone who thinks differently is deluded.

I think it's wrong despite the 100 million. I think there is no price to a reconfigured face and damaged vital organs.

It's not right to have this "fight". It won't be a fight.

Will you watch the fight?

• Advertisement

No, it's on too late and is a foregone conclusion.

If it was a fair fight then yes I would.

General rule of thumb, don't reply to posters who end their first paragraph with "anyone who thinks differently is deluded"

They tend not to be...easily swayed.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    General rule of thumb, don't reply to posters who end their first paragraph with "anyone who thinks differently is deluded"

They tend not to be...easily swayed.

Ha, true. I just find it interesting... I've yet to see anyone bashing this fight not add a proviso to the end of their sentence.

"This fight is a joke. Floyd wins easy dude. Inside a minute. But IF Conor wins...[insert conspiracy]"

But IF Conor wins...[insert conspiracy]"

Mayweather: Over 400 rounds Pro Boxing

McGregor: 0

I rest my case.

Random Fact:

Embedded - Mayweather v McGregor Episode 1 has (in 2 days) become the most watched episode 1 in the history of the series (beating episode 1 of UFC 205, which obviously has almost a year more viewing time). At the current rate of views, it's likely to become the most watched episode period by dinner time tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

People love happy babies, Conor Junior is the real star of the show.......:pac:

Three bets I noticed that are fairly solid for their odds.
    A punch to be thrown in 1st 10 seconds 1/2
    Mayweather to win under 10 rounds 5/6
    Mcgregor to win 1 round by 2 judges scorecards 4/5

Mcgregor will win the first round simply because of volume thrown but Mayweather will more than likely knock him out after a few rounds after figuring him out.

2 things watching this:

1. Eubank would make a phenomenal motivational speaker. If I was Conor's coach I'd be playing him this clip 5 minutes before the fight.

2. How crazy must all this be for Andrew? I talk a lot about Conor's journey but when you think about it, Andrew was there for the whole ride and now he's off living the dream interviewing legends.

Awesome.

• A quick recap on Malignaggis embarrassing rant...

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheCatSpangler

I don't watch this stuff but just want to get this straight:

This McGregor chap, with no professional boxing experience whatsoever, is going to get in to a ring with one of the world's top boxers and he is suppose to stand a chance!!?

lol

Good luck with that. The guy is going to get his face smashed. No way it's lasting a round.

You "don't watch this stuff". 3 years, and four thousand posts on boards on this account, and you've not a single post on the boxing forum, or here before this.

Why would you think anyone would place any value in your opinion whatsoever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

You "don't watch this stuff". 3 years, and four thousand posts on boards on this account, and you've not a single post on the boxing forum, or here before this.

Few beers on board I'd say. 3.30 in the morning and he pops in to talk about something he doesn't care about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just to say that you don't need to be an MMA or boxing fan/contributor to call something that is very obvious..

The obvious being that the "fight" is a complete mismatch..

I guarantee if it was Floyd stepping into the Octagon and the poster posted similar here he'd be thanked...

MMA fans, or more particularly, Conor fanboys can't seem to accept that on paper this is a huge mismatch. The poster claiming this is just logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

walshb wrote: »
    MMA fans, or more particularly, Conor fanboys can't seem to accept that on paper this is a huge mismatch

What a huge generalization, tut tut.

Inviere wrote: »
    What a huge generalization, tut tut.

It wasn't my intention. I realise that many MMA fans too are calling it a huge mismatch.

But the vibe is there. Plenty MMA fans and Conor fanboys getting all prickly when their boy is being given next to no chance..

But the vibe is there. Plenty MMA fans and Conor fanboys getting all prickly when their boy is being given next to no chance..

What about the vibe from the boxing snobs? The vibe that the lowly sport of MMA isn't fit to wipe the arse of royal boxing? Talk about prickly

Seems Eubank Snr and McGregor met briefly yesterday but the only clip I can find so far is this one.

More from Eubank on the fight.................. second one is hilarious!

https://twitter.com/bet365/status/900117849058004993

https://twitter.com/UpperGwladysBlu/status/900028481106587648

Inviere wrote: »
    What about the vibe from the boxing snobs? The vibe that the lowly sport of MMA isn't fit to wipe the arse of royal boxing? Talk about prickly

I am not discussing the boxing side..

If a top class "current" boxer steps in the Octagon then we can assess the vibe from boxing fans..

Point stands. The poster simply stated the obvious as regards this being a huge mismatch. And had it been the reverse, he would have been thanked here.

If a top class "current" boxer steps in the Octagon then we can assess the vibe from boxing fans..

Point stands. The poster simply stated the obvious as regards this being a huge mismatch. And had it been the reverse, he would have been thanked here.

It is a mismatch on paper as you said, but it's yet more 'education' from you. If you feel the way you do about the fight, and that it's a foregone conclusion, McGregor has no chance etc...what do you get out of 'contributing' to this thread? Is it not a giant waste of your time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheCatSpangler

If GGG was having a crossover fight into MMA against a top MMA guy, and he popped into the boxing forum to tell everyone that he knows nothing about boxing, doesn't watch it, had no interest in MMA, but definitively and undeniably Golovkin was going to get destroyed, he'd be eaten alive, and you'd be helping yourself to the lions share Bren.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Has a top boxer ever went straight into mma and competed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement