Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Has a top boxer ever went straight into mma and competed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

James Toney and Art 'One Glove' Jimmerson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SteM

walshb wrote: »
    Point stands. The poster simply stated the obvious as regards this being a huge mismatch. And had it been the reverse, he would have been thanked here.

Might have been the way he said it that winds people up. He started off by saying he didn't follow the sport, referred to 'This McGregor chap' like he doesn't know who he is, then says if it lasts more than half a round it'll be down to corruption. He then thinks McGregor will end up with a reconfigured face and damaged vital organs.

There's stating the obvious and then there's hyperbole and if someone posts hyperbole like that they deserved to be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,607 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SteM wrote: »
    Might have been the way he said it that winds people up. He started off by saying he didn't follow the sport, referred to 'This McGregor chap' like he doesn't know who he is, then says if it lasts more than half a round it'll be down to corruption. He then thinks McGregor will end up with a reconfigured face and damaged vital organs.

There's stating the obvious and then there's hyperbole and if someone posts hyperbole like that they deserved to be called.

Fair enough. He did kind of come in guns blazing. I get that.

Top boxer in the 90s and early 00s.

He was a shell by the time he stepped into the Octagon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ray Mercer KO'd Tim Sylvia in about 5 seconds.

Ray Mercer KO'd Tim Sylvia in about 5 seconds.

1-0 to the boxing community.

Conor to level the score on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I don't watch this stuff but just want to get this straight:

This McGregor chap, with no professional boxing experience whatsoever, is going to get in to a ring with one of the world's top boxers and he is suppose to stand a chance!!?

lol

Good luck with that. The guy is going to get his face smashed. No way it's lasting a round.

He is not some random chap off the street, he is a top mma fighter with a background in boxing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/Sporf/status/900616482475749376

Floyd not messing around, hahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Gintonious wrote: »

Floyd not messing around, hahah

Why is the situation getting involved in the conversation?
    "I remember that face."
    Fcukin juiced up midget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

ooter wrote: »
    Why is the situation getting involved in the conversation?
    "I remember that face."
    Fcukin juiced up midget.

Basically an employee, a hired goon. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

walshb wrote: »
    Just to say that you don't need to be an MMA or boxing fan/contributor to call something that is very obvious..

The obvious being that the "fight" is a complete mismatch..

I guarantee if it was Floyd stepping into the Octagon and the poster posted similar here he'd be thanked...

MMA fans, or more particularly, Conor fanboys can't seem to accept that on paper this is a huge mismatch. The poster claiming this is just logic.

do you not get bored of posting the same msgs every day -
    sometimes a few times a day?
    same rubbish everyday

get yourself away from the laptop and get yourself some fresh air
    it will do you the world off good honestly

He is not some random chap off the street, he is a top mma fighter with a background in boxing

And more importantly for Conor, Floyd is not some random pro boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭fitzparker

this is brilliant! fight just got real, they only went and did this at kilmacanogue.

for years it was "free bobby sands"

now this!!!!

mayweather.jpg

Edit: if someone can post the pic as i haven't a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Paddy power paid out on flyod? Tweeted always bet on black haha

fitzparker wrote: »
    this is brilliant! fight just got real, they only went and did this at kilmacanogue.

now this!!!!

mayweather.jpg

Mayweather won't be happy when he is driving past that in his Rolls Royce, I am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Gintonious wrote: »
    Mayweather won't be happy when he is driving past that in his Rolls Royce, I am sure.

can't afford a rolls royce, sure he was driving a poxy 96 Mercedes to the roller disco.

can't afford a rolls royce, sure he was driving a poxy 96 Mercedes to the roller disco.

Nice interior on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dave1982 wrote: »
    Paddy power paid out on flyod? Tweeted always bet on black haha

I've seen that a few times now, what does that mean exactly? I know nothing about gambling so honest question. Did they already pay people who better on Floyd?? Surely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I've seen that a few times now, what does that mean exactly? I know nothing about gambling so honest question. Did they already pay people who better on Floyd?? Surely not.

Yep, thats it exactly,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

now this!!!!

mayweather.jpg

Classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

D.Q wrote: »
    Yep, thats it exactly,

****ing hell the chake of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SteM

Zero-Cool wrote: »

My guess is that they've only paid out on the Mayweather Win Outright bets. Not much money will have to be paid out on that that bet on because the odds were so poor that not many will have put money on it.

Most people will be putting money on a Mayweather TKO or picking the round he wins etc which hasn't be paid out on as far as I'm aware.

They've reportedly paid out £250,000 and there are stories about it all over the internet and all the English newspapers. Well worth their while for that sort of publicity, never mind what the actual result is. They paid out early on Hilary Clinton to win the US presidential election too iirc.

Remember too, the reported pay out is £250,000 - that doesn’t mean they are losing £250,000. It's not specified in the reports if the £250,000 total payout includes the stake money or not. If it does include the stake money then their loss is nowhere close the £250,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

1. Eubank would make a phenomenal motivational speaker. If I was Conor's coach I'd be playing him this clip 5 minutes before the fight.

Damn right, I could listen to him all day. He's awesome, a real life Brother Mouzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

SteM wrote: »
    My guess is that they've only paid out on the Mayweather Win Outright bets. Not much money will have to be paid out on that that bet on because the odds were so poor that not many will have put money on it.

Most people will be putting money on a Mayweather TKO or picking the round he wins etc which hasn't be paid out on as far as I'm aware.

They've reportedly paid out £250,000 and there are stories about it all over the internet and all the English newspapers. Well worth their while for that sort of publicity, never mind what the actual result is. They paid out early on Hilary Clinton to win the US presidential election too iirc.

Remember too, the reported pay out is £250,000 - that doesn’t mean they are losing £250,000. It's not specified in the reports if the £250,000 total payout includes the stake money or not. If it does include the stake money then their loss is nowhere close the £250,000.

They way they see it is that they are going to lose €250,000 anyway . So they paid out before the event to gain publicity from all over . Free advertisement really.

Unless Floyd gets caught with that left hand of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

If anyone wants to give this a spin...

https://mma-today.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-money-grab-tooth

Just an antidote to the "moneygrab", "farce", "joke" takes.

That is a great read Wonder, Well done and keep up the good fight brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Great read Wonder. Really enjoyed it. You have a great style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Inviere

If anyone wants to give this a spin...

https://mma-today.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-money-grab-tooth

Just an antidote to the "moneygrab", "farce", "joke" takes.

Great stuff, well done :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

D.Q wrote: »
    Great read Wonder. Really enjoyed it. You have a great style.

I'll second that . Fair play man hope the writing works out for you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It only took an article from wonder to get us all holding hands singing kumbaya. Who'd have thunk it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement